Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2022, 09:13   #61
BHPian

Re: Kia Carens Review

I like the way they have packaged this car. They have clearly focused on practicality than too much gimmicky tech. One big let down though is not providing wireless AA or carplay. Hope it comes as an update. I am surprised of the 3rd row usability along with the decently sized boot; if priced aggressively it can easily eat into Ertiga's volumes. But if they chase the big brothers like XUV700 or the Safari they will land where Alcazar is now. But given the missing items in the feature list it appears to be pitched against the former and for that category this sure seems adequately packed.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 31st January 2022 at 10:11. Reason: Typo: Alcazar
Jude300 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 10:27   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

Our new review format since almost 2 years now is to ensure you get maximum details for a buying decision as soon as the embargo is lifted.
Excellent review as usual. Just 3 questions?

1. Is the diesel mill effective for a vaction trip fully loaded with 6 people & luggage? I could not find that information in the diesel engine review from Alcazar.

2. It is shown in the below picture, do not load. Can we load an external luggage rack to carry extra luggage?

3. How's the Ground clearance?
Attached Images

Last edited by Vasuki : 31st January 2022 at 10:29.
Vasuki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 11:14   #63
BHPian

It's been over 36 hours that the reviews have gone up. But the buzz and the discussions around this one is pretty low compared to the other recent launches. What gives?

I think this car is perfect for the needs we have from our new car. Hope they price it right. 50k-1L premium over XL6 should be ok. But I have a feeling that it's going to be upwards of 2L.
Old 31st January 2022, 11:52   #64
Senior - BHPian

Looks like digital car from front which I didn't like. Absence of front grill makes it look weird IMHO. Grill gives character to the car which is absent here altogether.

Overall nice car with good space and features. But I don't think Kia will launch it with attractive or competitive price. It will be around 20 lakhs OTR for base model and 25+ lakhs for top end model. Safari or XUV700 makes more sense than this. Not sure how many people will actually buy this over cars like Safari, Innova, XUV700.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 12:03   #65
BHPian

I don't know what is the right place to report errors, but here-in Carens' make has been written as Hyundai. If it's not intentional, @Mods can perhaps take note and rectify it.
rnkgrg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 13:18   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
It's been over 36 hours that the reviews have gone up. But the buzz and the discussions around this one is pretty low compared to the other recent launches. What gives?

I think this car is perfect for the needs we have from our new car. Hope they price it right. 50k-1L premium over XL6 should be ok. But I have a feeling that it's going to be upwards of 2L.
Really? It's more than 50K views in 36 hours and overall pretty decent. That said MPV will never get the same attention as SUV's.

This is a better improved and less compromised version of the Alcazar but the Alcazar looks more SUV and has larger wheels with more butch styling.

If they had one more variant of the Carens with 360 camera, powered seats and electric parking brake, I would find it difficult to choose any other SUV in this segment apart from the Carens.
Vid6639 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 14:04   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post

I think, the buzz will happen more, once the price is announced. Now most of the review/people consider this as decent/practical MPV except for the quirky front, since this segment is price sensitive, without knowing the price, people can't make any opinion/discussion. I hope they wont price it too much premium over XL6 at least for the base 1.5 Petrol variant.

It will be really helpful if Chetan_Rao or Vid6639 can provide some insight on how the mid and 3rd row fares on space and comfort (not the features), in comparison to XL6, Ertiga and Marazzo. In some comparison review(Motorbeam), the reviewers mentions while the space is better than XL6, they felt the seats in XL6 are slightly bigger and more comfortable for tall and heavily built people.
sreejithkk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 14:17   #68
BHPian

Not sure why this is being compared with XL6. Carens looks leaps ahead of XL6 in terms of features, interior quality, practicality and NVH. Moreover XL6 is not available with a Diesel heart.
IMHO, Carens is a good option for anyone looking for a 6 or 7 seater (probably the only 7 seater with a comfortable third row in this segment) unless the family members have a large build.
vasanthn21 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 15:39   #69
Senior - BHPian

The first Kia Carens has rolled out of the brand's manufacturing facility at Anantapur. The MPV is scheduled to be launched in February.

Kia Carens Review-20220131_154025.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 31st January 2022 at 15:54.
Venkatesh is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 17:15   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
Not sure why this is being compared with XL6. Carens looks leaps ahead of XL6 in terms of features, interior quality, practicality and NVH. Moreover XL6 is not available with a Diesel heart.
IMHO, Carens is a good option for anyone looking for a 6 or 7 seater (probably the only 7 seater with a comfortable third row in this segment) unless the family members have a large build.
Aren't you forgetting the Marazzo? It can sit 3 adults in the third row.
Bazooka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 18:57   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
It is being compared to XL6, Marazzo and Innova because carens is an MPV and these are the other MPVs in the market. There is more comparison with XL6 because in terms of dimension, carens is more close to XL6 than say Innova (Carens is marginally larger in every dimension, than XL6).
And in Kia website itself where they mentioned class leading safety/power etc, the class is mentioned as "3 row seater car with overall length less than 4550mm & height more than 1680mm". Please me know which all cars comes in this class defined by Kia other than XL6?
Definitely XL6 doesn't cater to diesel market and KIA/Hyundai always will have the better interior/features than any other car in the same price bracket. However I think a good number of prospective XL6 customers would be considering the Carens as the only other option albeit at a premium, and what they will be interested is, if the premium is worth the additional features/interior quality etc.

Last edited by sreejithkk : 31st January 2022 at 19:15.
sreejithkk is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 19:56   #72
BHPian

Kia Carens Review-carens.jpeg

Carens will be available to see in person in showrooms from 2nd February, 2 pm onwards. A dealer in Mumbai sent this image to my relative.
Old 31st January 2022, 21:42   #73
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Have to hand it to Kia, they know how to reel in indian families. Things like :
- the dedicated point to attach the air freshner,
- the cable carrier on the side of the seat to tuck in phone charger cables,
- the tray table with a 'slot' to keep kids' tabs,
- the set up to cool drinks for the 2nd row,
- the sheer number of charging sockets,
- the usable 3rd row seating at the same height as 2nd row,
- the excellent NVH insulation,
- the snazzy interiors,
- the discotheque like ambient lighting (sure to impress kids),
- dedicated roof AC with overhead vents is anyday more practical than a panoramic sunroof in India (plus, the 'regular' sized sunroof is there anyway)
- and of course the soft suspension and the wisely chosen high sidewall 16 inch tyres.

Means they have spent a lot of time researching market needs and taken the feedback seriously. I am very impressed. Externally, the looks are sure to divide opinion (I don't like it, trying too hard with extra makeup), but once people sit inside, it's sure to impress.

My only grouse about the interiors is the casio calculator font instrument cluster. Why do people hate regular circular dials and want everything in "text" ?

The only question is, will it be comfortable for a family of 6 for a 8-10 hour highway journey.

Last edited by venkyhere : 31st January 2022 at 22:11.
venkyhere is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 23:02   #74
BHPian

For someone interested in the useability of the 7 seater and diesel variant, Carwale has covered that.

This is how I expect an MPV review to be, covering the seating configuration and ride quality in detail and specific to 2nd & 3rd row. If just for driving, why would anyone need this car over a Seltos? Hate to see some video reviews that just touch upon the 3rd row as a formality while reviewing a 3 row car.

Somehow looks oddball with that front, the elongated door & the Marazzo kind of dashboard and seems to have been purposefully done to have Hyundai's share left untouched. Given the dimension, people will compare this with XL6 obviously.

From brochures, noticed the curtain airbag doesn't extend to 3rd row . XUV7OO is the only exception?

Not having an AT in lower variants of diesel is a bummer.

Not sure if the fender & bonnet are different from Seltos, if not, would love to simply swap the front bumper, lights from the Seltos and be done with .

Last edited by ganesc : 31st January 2022 at 23:04.
ganesc is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 23:11   #75
BHPian

Great review capturing the finer details about the car! This can be a wonderful option for someone who wants luxury (compared to Ertiga and Innova) with decent space minus the wait times(hopefully ). What is interesting me that in spite of it having a longer wheelbase than Innova the Passenger and Luggage Space both are less compared to it. Never quite understood how.
Not sure how folks are comparing with XL6, its a step above it in terms of everything. I think whatever the segment MG claim they it is, the direct competition is the MG Hector.
The Korean twins have really played it well in bridging the gap between the Ertiga and Innova by providing the "Made for India" options.
Whatever the opinion, more the merrier for the Indian Consumer .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks