Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2022, 17:05   #766
BHPian

Re: Kia Carens Review

Booked for 1.5 MT Prestige yesterday, tentative waiting period is 48-49 weeks now whereas the base variant 1.5MT Premium has less waiting period :16 weeks
Old 25th March 2022, 17:58   #767
BHPian

Guys, I need suggestions to upgrade the default headlight bulb that comes with the prestige variant.

Can you please suggest lights that will give good visibility on highways?

Note: I m not interested in illegal options people generally use.
Old 25th March 2022, 18:12   #768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NivasBaskaran View Post
Guys, I need suggestions to upgrade the default headlight bulb that comes with the prestige variant.

Assuming that you are referring to the Prestige Plus's LED headlamps which is not entertained by the showrooms as it's not considered as an accessory. I got a ball park figure of whopping 60K for replacing the halogen to LED
Old 25th March 2022, 18:45   #769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Assuming that you are referring to the Prestige Plus's LED headlamps which is not entertained by the showrooms as it's not considered as an accessory. I got a ball park figure of whopping 60K for replacing the halogen to LED
No I m not asking about upgrading to the LED setup we have at higher trims. I m just looking for bulb upgrades.

Prestige variant comes with basic reflector setup with halogen bulb. I guess, its of H4 type with 55/60 W. I don't think this will be sufficient for highway rides. I m looking to update these bulbs to a better option. (Brighter halogen is fine for me)

I did some study and came to this understand. Adding my findings for other newbies like me over here.

1. LED bulbs won't be suitable for reflector setup and it will irritate the drives coming opposite (illegal I guess).
2. White light looks brighter but won't be suitable for rainy or foggy conditions.
3. HID bulbs are brighter, but bit costly option and most of them are illegal I guess.
4. Upgrading 90/100 halogen from Philips/Osram helps. But we need a relay as stock wires won't be enough.

Bulbs like Philips xtream, osram night break says they give better visibility. Please suggest will this be enough?

If there any other options which I don't know off, please do suggest.

Let us all learn
NivasBaskaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2022, 18:57   #770
BHPian

Quote:

You can go for higher wattage halogen bulbs may be 90/100W should be good enough. I have upgraded same in my old car and was fine for night travel (make - Philips Xtreme), also doesnt have blinding effects on opposite side like few high wattage LEDs. Just make sure you add a relay too, no wire cutting involved so doesnt impacts warranty. But not sure how Kia treats such changes, may be Kia owners can comment.

Last edited by autoweirdo : 25th March 2022 at 18:59.
autoweirdo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2022, 19:11   #771
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Unfortunately no such option which is both legal and good for highway use. Bulbs like Philips Xtremevision and Osram Night breaker just slightly improve the output and these are only sufficient for city driving. On the highway especially in semi lit conditions these bulbs fail miserably.
Old 25th March 2022, 19:19   #772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Unfortunately no such option which is both legal and good for highway use. Bulbs like Philips Xtremevision and Osram Night breaker just slightly improve the output and these are only sufficient for city driving. On the highway especially in semi lit conditions these bulbs fail miserably.
What do you suggest then? I just want to ensure that the opposite drivers should not feel uncomfortable.
Old 25th March 2022, 22:58   #773
BHPian

Quote:
Have anyone installed Dashcam on their cars? Planning to install 70mai pro plus+.

To have parking monitoring need to connect the hardware kit to fuse. But even though there is no wire cut. Kia service person says, it will be still a non kia accessories. You should not connect any non kia accessories to any boards, else it will void warranty.

Is that true, if we install it to fuse, it might void warranty?
If you look behind the Auto-IRVM, you will see there is a USB port which appears to be for Dashcam. I tried connecting my old dashcam and the Type A connector fits perfectly but there was no power through that port. When i connected it to the Type A port below the infotainment system the dashcam powered up.

I asked about that port behind the Auto-IRVM, but the showroom/service center folks didn't have any clue and neither they had anything discussed about that during their trainings.

I saw the same port even in a seltos as well not sure if it works.

Tried taking a picture from my phone, but due to the angle of the windshield and the black layer behind the IVRM couldn't get a proper shot

Can other Carnes owner check and confirm please?

Last edited by ant_vas : 25th March 2022 at 22:59.
Old 25th March 2022, 23:14   #774
BHPian

Congratulations for the new ride! That diesel is a superior motor in terms of refinement lower down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
- VW Tiguan - both 1ltr and 1.5ltr: Beautiful car, nice build quality, lovely interiors and the 1.5TSI was an amazing drive. But again, no diesel and it didn't really feel like an upgrade from the Hector or even in the same category somehow. The family too just wrote it off completely.
I guess, you meant Taigun.
Old 26th March 2022, 06:37   #775
BHPian

Quote:
Have anyone installed Dashcam on their cars? Planning to install 70mai pro plus+.

To have parking monitoring need to connect the hardware kit to fuse. But even though there is no wire cut. Kia service person says, it will be still a non kia accessories. You should not connect any non kia accessories to any boards, else it will void warranty.

Is that true, if we install it to fuse, it might void warranty?
I believe this is a grey area, and the dealer/manufacturer may say it voids the warranty because of a non-Kia accessory connected directly to the fuse board, even though no wires are being cut.

One option you can explore is installing a battery pack instead of connecting to the fuse board. For example, the distributor of 70mai is selling a battery pack that the dashcam can connect to, which shouldn't void the warranty (the battery pack charges via the cigarette lighter port) -

https://www.nexdigitron.com/collecti...42191641542895

Of course, the other question then would be, do you want such a battery in the car, given the possibility of a fire and a subsequent insurance claim rejected?

Related thread:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...nside-car.html (Insurance claim after Powerbank explodes inside a car?)

I have the 70mai A800s hardwired to the fuse box, and I personally think that for 70mai the parking monitor feature is useless. It is only on impact detection that it starts monitoring and doesn't have motion detection. If somehow parking surveillance is important to you, you should check out the VIOFO A129 Pro which has motion detection as well.
nishsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2022, 10:06   #776
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishsingh View Post
Of course, the other question then would be, do you want such a battery in the car, given the possibility of a fire and a subsequent insurance claim rejected?

I have the 70mai A800s hardwired to the fuse box, and I personally think that for 70mai the parking monitor feature is useless. It is only on impact detection that it starts monitoring and doesn't have motion detection. If somehow parking surveillance is important to you, you should check out the VIOFO A129 Pro which has motion detection as well.
Don't want to risk the warranty or insurance claims. I can live up without parking monitoring.

I am planning to get 70mai A500s with CPF filter. What capacity memory card do you use? And what resolution how much hours of recording are you getting?

Is the ADAS features really useful? Or just a gimmick.
Old 26th March 2022, 11:15   #777
BHPian

Quote:

Just get to see this video. Seems to be a good legal and not voiding warranty option. Anyone using this?

Old 26th March 2022, 13:09   #778
BHPian

Quote:
Just get to see this video. Seems to be a good legal and not voiding warranty option.
I would recommend watching this video :

Some pointers from the video :
  • Switching to LED from halogen in a reflector setup is not a good idea.
  • The light output from LEDs is not constant and will start deteriorating immediately after turning on.
  • The Osram site has mentioned that the LEDs are not road legal in multiple countries.

I was looking out for headlight upgrades for my Triber as well but settled with Philips Xtremevision Gforce.(55W)
Venky03 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2022, 16:52   #779
BHPian

Just a quick query to owners, how is the underbody of Carens? Many companies are cutting cost by not providing proper engine cover or flimsy engine cover. How is it in Carens?
Old 26th March 2022, 17:17   #780
BANNED

Was seeing the images of the previous generation Carens. It was much better than the new gen in terms of design, IMO. Clean MPV design. I am yet to come in terms with the new gen Carens - its ungainly proportions and especially the rear.

Image source: https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/kia/ca...eview-pictures and more.
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Carens Review-jil2na0x900.jpg  

Kia Carens Review-l2pse7nv900.jpg  

Kia Carens Review-dsc_6180.jpg  

Last edited by romeomidhun : 26th March 2022 at 17:20.
romeomidhun is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed