Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2022, 22:49   #871
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kia Carens Review

Never knew there existed a Premium(base) variant with 1.4 Turbo petrol. Probably the only Premium variant delivered across the country.

P.S.: Please translate if the video consists of any information regarding the waiting period or any other specific details.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 5th April 2022 at 22:51.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 02:00   #872
BHPian

I would cancel, if I can’t trust a brand I am paying 10L to. Crib all you want about Tata/Mahindra’s new product niggles, there’s nothing close to this level of brazen cheek they’ve pulled.
Not that they would want to. Never touching Kia until I’m convinced they’ve mended their ways.
On the other hand, anyone who has got the original Premium edition, is probably sitting on a collectors edition.
Old 6th April 2022, 07:36   #873
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Never knew there existed a Premium(base) variant with 1.4 Turbo petrol. Probably the only Premium variant delivered across the country.
Yes, but this one is the 1.4 Turbo variant, as you pointed out. It was launched at a price of 10.99 lakhs and subsequently the price was revised to 11.19 lakhs.

Have not seen the 1.5 NA Premium variant launched at 8.99 lakhs even on YouTube, where our amateur journalists manage to hunt down even the most elusive cars and variants.
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Carens Review-c5f749f23ae242f4b68feedf400fd6a4.jpeg  

Last edited by libranof1987 : 8th April 2022 at 10:07. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag
84.monsoon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 10:04   #874
BHPian

While there are several ways to 'manage' disappointment at a price raise, Kia's strategy with the Carens surely leaves the bitterest after taste that takes the brand far down south in my future considerations.

I booked a premium base 1.5 petrol on day one of bookings opening, and was told I'm 5th in queue, surely not unreasonable to expect luck to favour in a month or two. My purposes didn't need any higher than the base model, intended purely as a dog mover, given I had other cars for other purposes.

Today, over 2 months later of being in the queue, I realise the price rise is unavoidable to my allotment. This would have been perfectly fine had it been down to having missed out on luck. However, I realise luck had nothing to do with it. Kia has had no intention of even delivering ONE car at that price point it appears, as there is not a single one across the country that's come to light. A bit like getting stuck in a queue for fuel before price rise, and realising the attendant waves you into a queue but doesn't even start dispensing fuel to your queue. And after 2 hours, past midnight, the new prices start though your queue had only 4 cars ahead while others had over 70!

Being in advertising, I find my dilemma just desserts, as clients often push advertisers to publish fraudulent claims, as this mythical game changer at 8.99 was, and while it causes my garage not much angst to cancel my booking, I can't imagine the bullying this would seem, if this was an aspirational stretch to being an only car.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 8th April 2022 at 10:05. Reason: que -> queue
Old 6th April 2022, 10:33   #875
BHPian

I have switched my booking from Luxury Plus D AT (that is going north of 21L OTR here in Pune) to Prestige plus 1.4 P DCT purely 'coz of the price hike.

Will TD new XL6 against 1.4 P DCT extensively and decide which one to go for.

Carens no doubt is a lovely car however it's the trade practices of the manufacturer that contributes to the overall experience.

I am also planning to raise a complaint against such manufacturers on the Department of Consumer Affairs since the concept of introductory pricing is 100% misleading.

If I have 22L in my pocket, I can have two cars (one 6/7 seater and one hatchback) and both automatics in that range rather than spending such a huge amount on a NON VFM car.
achintatri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 16:21   #876
BHPian

On checking Alcazar price (I had booked one before launch of Carens!), I can see that it has also increased by more than a Lakh and it is completely out of my budget now

Only hope now is the XL6/Ertiga.

I'm not in a position to cancel Carens booking straight away, though I strongly wanted.
Because I sold my Jazz against the "advice" from my family two months back itself and now I'm being treated as perpetrator. Ofcourse, I was not expecting that the car (or not having one) would affect us to this extent.

So, I'm planning to just change my Carens booking to Prestige Plus DCT and take a call once XL6/Eritiga is officially launched.

As I'm not able get PP model at showroom to check, below feedback from you guys will be of great help:
1. How is the music system in PP compared to Bose in LP?? Can this be upgraded without affecting warranty?
2. Is Wireless Android Auto and Apple Carplay working? I'm considering this feature as an advantage over LP model.
3. What is the realtime mileage with full load on the DCT model?
Old 7th April 2022, 19:45   #877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveenkkr View Post
As I'm not able get PP model at showroom to check, below feedback from you guys will be of great help:
1. How is the music system in PP compared to Bose in LP?? Can this be upgraded without affecting warranty?
2. Is Wireless Android Auto and Apple Carplay working? I'm considering this feature as an advantage over LP model.
1. The audio quality of the music system in Prestige Plus is nothing to write home about. I too am looking for an upgrade in speakers, but will proceed only after confirming the warranty policy.
2. Wireless Apple Carplay works flawlessly in the car. Connects automatically with the phone and projects the Carplay screen on one click.
3. Approx. figures with full load:
In heavy city traffic > 8-10 kmpl
On wider city roads > 10-13 kmpl
On highways > above 15 kmpl

You can read my brief experience with full-load in my Carens DCT here...
Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj08 View Post
Driving the Carens Petrol Automatic with full load - ...
neeraj08 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 20:20   #878
BHPian

Quote:
Only hope now is the XL6/Ertiga.

I'm not in a position to cancel Carens booking straight away, though I strongly wanted.
Kind of in similar boat, but my only concern with XL6/Ertiga is strength of body shell. Current XL6 is approx 1100kg whereas Carens is around 1300kgs so definitely it translates to use of more steel as not much difference in dimension.
Will wait for 21st April before jumping the ship. I seriously hope Mahindra revives Marazzo or Toyota brings in something Innova Jr kind of vehicle to increase competition.
Old 7th April 2022, 20:49   #879
BHPian

Are there any sub 30-lakh 7-seaters which has less body roll than Carens, except Triber?
Old 7th April 2022, 23:33   #880
BHPian

In my car, the wireless android auto automatically disconnects during the drive for no reason. Then I have to
1. Select android auto
2. Click connect against my device name
3. Move to the maps

This is cumbersome and more importantly, unsafe during driving. Anyone else facing this problem?
Old 8th April 2022, 00:00   #881
BHPian

Quote:
Though I have the manual version, this will give some information about the engine characteristics.

1. Pretty average or below average music system. Clarity is good but loudness is very low. Taking calls will be a pain. Unfortunately changing it will void warranty.

2. Apple car play integration is very seamless in wireless mode though some bugs do exist. Android auto in wireless mode is useless. Also you can’t use phone while using android auto. Wired mode is better.

3. City mileage with traffic is 9-11 kmpl while without traffic may stretch beyond 12.5 kmpl. Highway mileage what I got till now is around 17kmpl. With light foot you can extract around 19kmpl. DCT will have similar figures.
sou_3749 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 08:50   #882
BHPian

I had booked a 1.5 NA Prestige variant on the day of price announcement and was alloted a vehicle in mid-March. But did not opt to take vehicle due to following reasons
a) BH registration is not yet commenced in TN but rumoured to commence soon.
b) Ground clearance of 1.5 NA Carens with 195x65xR15 tyres is approx 19 mm shorter than other engine variants (Difference in GC is clearly there but the extent of difference depends whether KIA has partly compensated with any adjustments to suspension system).
c) No folding ORVMs, Rear wash/wiper, DRLs in prestige variant

If I want to go for Prestige Plus 1.4 Turbo, the price difference is quite steep.

Did not cancel the booking as I want to keep the options open till BH registration starts and XL6/Ertiga launch.

Now I understand that XL6/Ertiga come with their new K15c dual jet engine which is expected to be more fuel efficient along with a new 6AT gearbox. Even the top variant of XL6/Ertiga Automatic would cost less than the Kia Carens 1.4 Turbo MT variant. XL6 is also expected to have 360 degree camera but might not be having TPMS, Front parking sensors and Rear Disc Brakes which are available in Kia Carens.

I consider, build quality of both XL6 and Carens to be of same category. I observed during my back to back test of LED lights of both that the lights of XL6 is way better.

So I am inclined to shift towards XL6/Ertiga and have already booked both.

Last edited by DImPo : 8th April 2022 at 08:52.
DImPo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 10:24   #883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DImPo View Post
XL6 is also expected to have 360 degree camera but might not be having TPMS, Front parking sensors and Rear Disc Brakes which are available in Kia Carens.
Are you sure about the 360 camera as i am hearing it for the first time. It would be great if they can add that in XL6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DImPo View Post
I consider, build quality of both XL6 and Carens to be of same category. I observed during my back to back test of LED lights of both that the lights of XL6 is way better.
Someone was saying that Carens is better built than XL6. Think crash test rating should be done for these cars, but looking at the volumes they are selling both manufacturers wont see the need for it i think
Old 8th April 2022, 16:29   #884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msk_kapoor View Post
Are you sure about the 360 camera as i am hearing it for the first time. It would be great if they can add that in XL6.

Someone was saying that Carens is better built than XL6. Think crash test rating should be done for these cars, but looking at the volumes they are selling both manufacturers wont see the need for it i think
Cannot comment on build quality, but IMHO, Maruti might still want to continue with the perspective of common people's car and may not offer everything that KIA offers to keep costs in control.. For example Carens is loaded with many safety features combined together makes it a safer car at least in perspective. Lets see how the scenario evolves.
Old 8th April 2022, 17:34   #885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoweirdo View Post
Kind of in similar boat, but my only concern with XL6/Ertiga is strength of body shell. Current XL6 is approx 1100kg whereas Carens is around 1300kgs so definitely it translates to use of more steel as not much difference in dimension.
The Kia Seltos had a kerb weight of 1221-1361 Kg, and still it scored lesser points for GNCAP adult occupancy protection compared to Ertiga. So I do not think just having more kerb weight translates to more safety but definitely it will help to prevent the dings that easily affect most of the suzuki cars, if the doors have minor contact with any other solid object.
sreejithkk is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks