Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2022, 23:18   #976
BHPian

Re: Kia Carens Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteshsharmab View Post
Any idea for how much time can we take the test drive? Will the dealer allow 10 15 minutes of ride in your opinion?
I too was offered a short TD the first time I went alone. The second time, I took my family along and was offered long test drives of both the petrol and diesel by the same showroom since they started to perceive me as a serious customer. I eventually booked from them though. Just be upfront with the SA regarding your requirements. I find no reason why you would be denied a long TD.

If you are visiting on a weekend, book the TD before hand on Kia's website. They would have no choice but to offer you one.
Old 6th May 2022, 23:18   #977
BHPian

Also is the roof rails unusable and just cosmetic in Carens? I use rooftop cargo Bag for luggage when travelling with 6 pax. Worried if it can be used with Carens https://www.amazon.in/dp/B082F2PC1K/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_dl_6S7AHQE4NCQNDY8V5WCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by furyrider View Post
Since you are used to the captain seats in the XL6, I suggest you take a longer TD of the Carens, this time in the second row. If you find the seat to be okay for you, you might as well consider it since you would save a good chunk of money.
Old 7th May 2022, 09:09   #978
BHPian

Quote:
Also is the roof rails unusable and just cosmetic in Carens?
Unfortunately, they seem to be cosmetic, as per this image from the Official review:

Kia Carens Review-2022kiacarens21.jpg

I was also looking at a 3 row vehicle and dropped the Carens from my list seeing the above image, as I use a roofbox during my travels.
Aiel is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 09:31   #979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiel View Post
Unfortunately, they seem to be cosmetic, as per this image from the Official review:

I was also looking at a 3 row vehicle and dropped the Carens from my list seeing the above image, as I use a roofbox during my travels.
The Carens brochure mentions that roof rack should be installed to carry luggage overhead. May be such racks put load on the roof, and not the rails.
Old 7th May 2022, 09:33   #980
BHPian

Quote:
Also is the roof rails unusable and just cosmetic in Carens?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiel View Post
Though they don't are a proper roof rails, but they do have a limit of 50kgs. Get this point confirmed from service centre/Kia Sales.

Source - https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.car...res-video/amp/

Kia Carens Review-screenshot_2022050709304345_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
ptaneja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 11:44   #981
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
Though they don't are a proper roof rails, but they do have a limit of 50kgs. Get this point confirmed from service centre/Kia Sales.

Source - https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.car...res-video/amp/

Attachment 2305089
Thanks for your post. The information of deactivation of the lock/unlock sound is of great help.
Old 9th May 2022, 08:44   #982
BHPian

What would be the fuel economy difference between diesel automatic and manual versions, in city condition.

I've heard that automatic version is giving 9kmpl vs. Manual providing 15kmpl. This difference is very stark of true
niteshsharmab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 12:03   #983
BHPian

So, looking for a 6-7 seater, went to check the Carens out. The showroom was packed and everyone was interested in the Carens (the display vehicle was a 7-seater), only a few were checking out Seltos, and no one the Sonet. Was interested in the 1.4 Petrol manual, but they only had the Diesel manual for a short test drive.

My initial impressions based on that drive (3 adults, 1 kid).

Positives:
- Spacious, premium cabin. Second and third rows are comfortable for medium-sized adults. First-row seats are superb, of course (I'm 6, thin build).
- Cabin NVH is excellent, the Diesel feels like you're almost driving a petrol. Outside noises are very well controlled - a trait of all Hyundai cars.
- Feels very easy and car-like to drive, doesn't feel like you're driving such a big vehicle.
- It felt like the boot could take 2-3 medium-sized trolley bags in upright position, with all the three rows up. Didn't test this out though as I wasn't carrying any test bags.

Negatives:
- The second-row middle seat is simply awful (7 seater). The seat-back is the folded armrest cum cupholder, and it's super-hard. You need to put a cushion/foam pad behind you if you want to sit there even for short rides. On top of that, the seat base there is also quite short, so the thigh support is also noticeably less. Kia should have gone for a flat seat base for usability instead of the contoured one.
- The front AC vents design may look cool, but it took me time to adjust them so that the throw comes at my face. They should have been bigger and taller so that the air throw is wider.

Booked the 1.4 petrol manual the same day, as the tentative waiting period is 15-16 weeks anyway.

Last edited by heavenlybull : 9th May 2022 at 12:15.
heavenlybull is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 12:18   #984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
Multiple Carens owners are reporting a strange issue of condensation observed on the roof above 3rd row AC vent on right side, near the roof rails. Can the bhpians who have got the car please check if they too see the same.
If it is true and observed by everyone, team-bhp could help as a platform to let Kia know about this issue apart from the individual complaints from the owners.
After I read this post, checked my Car ( Luxury 7 Diesel MT) and found that the Condensation is happening on the roof of the right side 3rd A/C vent. Last Saturday had my first service at Incheon Kia Kottayam and was informed about this cause. They have told me that this is the first case they have received. They do not have any clue about this issue and told me it might happen due to the closed A/C vent. After that on my way back to the home, I opened the Vent and checked. It's happening, the surface of the roof becomes chilled. I have asked them to register it as a complaint. They have told me if they receive any update from Kia, they will let me know and fix it.
Old 9th May 2022, 13:40   #985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinupanthalani View Post
I have asked them to register it as a complaint. They have told me if they receive any update from Kia, they will let me know and fix it.
Please raise it as a complaint and do follow-up with the service center. Many owners have got it resolved using some additional foam insulation installed. None of them have observed the issue again. So it is not a major problem and can be easily resolved. I believe this is now a well known problem at Kia but they may not openly acknowledge or recall cars.
Knightrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 23:10   #986
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinupanthalani View Post
After I read this post, checked my Car ( Luxury 7 Diesel MT) and found that the Condensation is happening on the roof of the right side 3rd A/C vent. Last Saturday had my first service at Incheon Kia Kottayam and was informed about this cause. They have told me that this is the first case they have received. They do not have any clue about this issue and told me it might happen due to the closed A/C vent. After that on my way back to the home, I opened the Vent and checked. It's happening, the surface of the roof becomes chilled. I have asked them to register it as a complaint. They have told me if they receive any update from Kia, they will let me know and fix it.
I have reported the same issue to the service centre during my first service and its already resolved. They added insulation at that place which was missing it seems. They had to remove the roof lining to do that.
NivasBaskaran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 18:29   #987
BHPian

Quote:
Confused between Carens and Innova.
=====
My test drive was just 5 minutes long, so I couldn't really understand this well.
I was also in the same state of mind before choosing Carens. I have considered only Innova and Ertiga in the year 2014 when I changed my previous car(Manza). That time too, my wife found the ingress and egress of the Ertiga is better than Innova and ultimately we have booked the Ertiga.

And now, even after eight years I still preferred Innova over Carens for its ride comfort and long term reliability. But my kids and wife preferred the Carens for its features and sunroof and hence we booked the Carens LP Diesel 6MT on February 15th.

As yours is chauffeur driven, you can definitely go for the Innova, since money is not a constraint for you. I hope that whatever additional amount you spend towards the fuel cost, you will be able to compensate through the resale value of Innova. The resale value % of Innova will be definitely more than the Carens after 10 years. The ride comfort will be far better in Innova's second seat than Caren's. The big boot space is also a desirable one.

Bur feature wise Carens scores better than Innova and that tilted our scale towards the Carens and of course the cost difference.
anbaras is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 20:06   #988
BHPian

Thanks a lot for your detailed answer. Just today I got booking of an XUV700, a friend was looking to cancel his booking as he got a foreign opportunity. He asked me so I checked the vehicle. I just loved the xuv700, found it to be like a cheaper sibling of Mercedes GLE350 in many sense. So I took over the same at 25L OTR found it as VFM, refreshing and different. Delivery should get in over month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbaras View Post
I was also in the same state of mind before choosing Carens. I have considered only Innova and Ertiga in the year 2014 when I changed my previous car(Manza). That time too, my wife found the ingress and egress of the Ertiga is better than Innova and ultimately we have booked the Ertiga.

And now, even after eight years I still preferred Innova over Carens for its ride comfort and long term reliability. But my kids and wife preferred the Carens for its features and sunroof and hence we booked the Carens LP Diesel 6MT on February 15th.

As yours is chauffeur driven, you can definitely go for the Innova, since money is not a constraint for you. I hope that whatever additional amount you spend towards the fuel cost, you will be able to compensate through the resale value of Innova. The resale value % of Innova will be definitely more than the Carens after 10 years. The ride comfort will be far better in Innova's second seat than Caren's. The big boot space is also a desirable one.

Bur feature wise Carens scores better than Innova and that tilted our scale towards the Carens and of course the cost difference.
niteshsharmab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 21:24   #989
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for your detailed answer. Just today I got booking of an XUV700, a friend was looking to cancel his booking as he got a foreign opportunity. He asked me so I checked the vehicle. I just loved the xuv700, found it to be like a cheaper sibling of Mercedes GLE350 in many sense. So I took over the same at 25L OTR found it as VFM, refreshing and different. Delivery should get in over month.
Oh. That is a nice twist to the story. Congrats. A good choice indeed. We too loved it except the third row seat and boot space. We were willing to compromise to some extent those factors for its road presence, panoramic sunroof and features.

The waiting time prevented us from going ahead. You are really lucky to get it within one month of booking(because of your friend). Comparing it with Mercedes GLE350 is justifiable for its VFM factor and features. Happy revving.
anbaras is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 22:41   #990
BHPian

Yeah out of syllabus winner

Agree it has much lower space than the Carens. Last row has less space and boot with all rows up is useless.

But what we thought is that our family is 5 pax, so after the chauffeur only 1 pax will seat in the last row, other half of last row can be used for luggage in city usage if needed. Our family's average height is 5.6, so space felt enough for us

For inter city trips a carrier needs to be installed, this was the case for all vehicles available, except maybe innova which has 300L boot with all seats up. Price premium vs. carens was only 3L so well worth it. With this thought we went ahead with the deal. Yeah it did feel like poor mans GLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbaras View Post
Oh. That is a nice twist to the story. Congrats. A good choice indeed. We too loved it except the third row seat and boot space. We were willing to compromise to some extent those factors for its road presence, panoramic sunroof and features.

The waiting time prevented us from going ahead. You are really lucky to get it within one month of booking(because of your friend). Comparing it with Mercedes GLE350 is justifiable for its VFM factor and features. Happy revving.

Last edited by niteshsharmab : 10th May 2022 at 22:43.
niteshsharmab is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks