Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2022, 20:25   #1051
BHPian

Re: Kia Carens Review

Hey guys, so finally got the much awaited allocation call. Booked diesel luxury plus.
Few questions as below pls:
1. What is the best quote for insurance in delhi? Is Acko good for delhi? Their price is almost 1/3rd of official quote. Otherwise Im being quoted 48k all incl from Tata
2. Which Service package to choose?
3. Is itnok to pay 1-2 lac before pdi?
4. Will they share vin and chasis number on allocation?
5. I dont intend to get Ppf or graphene coating, instead opting for a weekly pressure wash with shampoo,as of now choosing ceramic shampoo by turtle wax.
6. I believe that they are giving mrf tyres, so any suggestions on tyre upgrade size? Dont want to mess too much with original circumference. Was thinking 225/60/16 or even same size but pirellis or michellin.

Any other pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by sidharthg : 17th June 2022 at 20:36.
Old 18th June 2022, 22:30   #1052
BHPian

Autocar has brought up exactly the same question which many including me are currently facing. Stick to Carens 1.4 DCT booking or cancel it and go for Scorpio-N, if body type and characteristics are not the criteria.

https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/www.a...-to-buy-424830
Knightrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 02:56   #1053

Kia Carens: issues / problems I came across during Pre-Delivery Inspection [PDI]

I am very grateful to team-BHP for providing the Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) template on their website. I just took a printout of the template and headed for Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI).

I booked Kia Carens G1.4 DCT Prestige Plus 7 at Kia Epitome Whitefield, Bengaluru in Feb 2022.

The dealer had arranged for Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) earlier on 8th Jun 22. But when I went to the dealer; we found the car was not even unloaded from the truck.

On 9th Jun 22, I went for the Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) again.

I found a couple of issues due to the first half of the Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI):
1) The left rare door needed extra pressure to close properly. The video clip of the issue is attached below as a compressed zip file.
KiaCarensDoorIssue.mov.zip
2) The AC seems to work well if it's set to a low temperature. But if it's set to the highest temperature (27 degrees centigrade), only the front row will get warm air but both the 2nd and 3rd row were getting cold air even after waiting for 10 minutes.

I demonstrated the issues to the accompanying sales person as and when I came across the issues during the Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) to know his thoughts. His take on the above two issues:
1) The salesperson spontaneously replied, "Sometimes the door will not close properly since the air trapped inside the car would push the door." His spontaneous answer indicated he either believed in it or was aware of the issue & well prepared for handling this question.
2) The salesperson was probably not expecting an AC issue. I demonstrated the strangely working AC when set to the highest temperature. I asked if AC has a design flaw or if it was a one-off issue with the car allocated to me? He called his service team to ask about the issue and responded, "Kia Carens is designed to provide warm air for the front row and cold air to the rest of the two rows!"

There was no explanation as to why the air inside the car would not push other doors when closed with relatively the same force. I thought the salesperson somehow wanted me to believe his words, finish the PDI and make the total payment for the car. I patiently listened to his take on the issues and continued with my Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) with the intent of finding if there were other niggles without losing time. It was hard to believe Kia would knowingly design AC that way. To be sure that it was a design issue, I happened to verify it with a friend's friend who had recently taken delivery of Kia Carens top variant. He confirmed that the same AC problem with his car along with the door closing issue - one of the doors required extra force to close properly.

My initial thoughts on the issues:
1) It is a safety issue with kids or the elderly in the backseat. The driver needs to be extra vigilant when this particular door is used and observe the side mirrors to speculate if the door has been closed properly. It gets particularly hard to observe at night or in poorly lit areas. I would probably live with a door requiring extra force to close if the dashboard safety indicator could alert soon enough if it has not been closed properly.
2) I was finding it difficult to come to terms with the AC issue. I realize that people would mostly use AC with cold settings in South India, although it would be essential on cold days or nights/rainy days/hill stations.

Halfway through the Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI), the dealer could not facilitate in continuing with the rest of the Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI). So, I was left with some unanswered questions:
1) Would the door sensor trigger an alert in good time if the door is not closed properly?
2) Would the AC issue take a toll on the fuel efficiency since the front vents were providing warm air and the back vents were providing cold air?
3) Would it take much longer for the AC to stabilize if the required temperature is greater than the current temperature?
4) Would the AC issue hinder the functionality of the defogger?

I would be curious to know if others observed the same or different issues with Kia Carens. Would they go ahead with Kia Carens after waiting for four months if they came across identical issues?
technojazz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 07:21   #1054
BHPian

Re: Kia Carens: issues / problems I came across during Pre-Delivery Inspection [PDI]

First of all congratulations on getting your Carens.
Regarding the door closing issue, it has been observed by many Carens owners in various social media groups. I observed the same in the test drive car as well. And the reason given by SA is the same. In fact, few cases of windshield getting cracks are also reported. I suspect it is due to same reason. The air getting trapped inside creates pressure on the doors and windows. Not sure though.
Knightrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 07:51   #1055
BHPian

Re: Kia Carens: issues / problems I came across during Pre-Delivery Inspection [PDI]

Have you tried to close that door with windows down. Ideally there should not be any air resistance issue then
NICHE is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 12:27   #1056

Thanks for confirming. But, I fail to understand why the air inside the car would not push other doors when closed with relatively the same force. So what does this specific door have that others don't or vice-versa?
Old 21st June 2022, 13:25   #1057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by technojazz View Post
Thanks for confirming. But, I fail to understand why the air inside the car would not push other doors when closed with relatively the same force. So what does this specific door have that others don't or vice-versa?

I had the same question before. When all the windows are up and the last door which we close will have this issue.
Old 21st June 2022, 15:45   #1058

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnagarajs View Post
I had the same question before. When all the windows are up and the last door which we close will have this issue.
Ahh, Ok. It was always the rear left side door that had the problem rather than the last door closed in my case. Rest of the doors closed properly without any issue (with other doors and all the windows closed).
technojazz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 16:00   #1059
BHPian

To all Carens owners:

What real-world mileage can we expect from the 1.5 NA and the 1.4 Turbo petrol (manual) with a 80/20 Highway/city usage please? Thanks in advance.
Old 21st June 2022, 18:07   #1060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akannath View Post
To all Carens owners:

What real-world mileage can we expect from the 1.5 NA and the 1.4 Turbo petrol (manual) with a 80/20 Highway/city usage please? Thanks in advance.
All these data are as displayed in MID for 1.5NA.

Highways: On cruising between 80 to 90 17+KMPL. On cruising between 90 to 100 16+KMPL. Load 3 adults.

City: 10 to 12 on normal traffic. Less than 10 on B2B traffic.

Last edited by NivasBaskaran : 21st June 2022 at 18:08. Reason: Updating the engine details
NivasBaskaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 20:18   #1061

Any BHPian who have received the Carens 1.5 NA (Premium/ Prestige) can share the drive experience and the mileage, especially city and highway please?
Old 22nd June 2022, 08:07   #1062
BHPian

I will answer some questions:

1. I also have the door close issue, with the same door. Showed it to them during the PDI, then during delivery, then during the first service. No use.

2. Haven't observed the AC issue, mine doesn't have auto AC though.

3. If any door is not closed properly, MID give a flashing indicator and the car also shouts. One just cannot ignore it. So, that's taken care of.

4. Mileage of 1.5P:

I have driven 4k till now, half if it highway. Overall average is 13 kmpl.

Highway driving was by a driver, who crossed 100. So car gives around 15 kmpl. When I drive, I stay below 90, and get 18+.

In city, I get 12-13 if I do a 10km+ drive. But I need to do a lot of short drives (2-4km). So that reduces the mileage I get.
pseudo_coder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 13:41   #1063
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
I will answer some questions:

4. Mileage of 1.5P:

I have driven 4k till now, half if it highway. Overall average is 13 kmpl.

Highway driving was by a driver, who crossed 100. So car gives around 15 kmpl. When I drive, I stay below 90, and get 18+.

In city, I get 12-13 if I do a 10km+ drive. But I need to do a lot of short drives (2-4km). So that reduces the mileage I get.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NivasBaskaran View Post
All these data are as displayed in MID for 1.5NA.

Highways: On cruising between 80 to 90 17+KMPL. On cruising between 90 to 100 16+KMPL. Load 3 adults.

City: 10 to 12 on normal traffic. Less than 10 on B2B traffic.
Thanks to both of you and your numbers seem very consistent too.
I guess the 1.4 Petrol being more sensitive to throttling would see slightly lower figures? Owners of 1.4 Turbo petrol, please correct me if I am wrong. Does the diesel fair better in this regard?
akannath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 18:46   #1064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akannath View Post
Thanks to both of you and your numbers seem very consistent too.
I guess the 1.4 Petrol being more sensitive to throttling would see slightly lower figures? Owners of 1.4 Turbo petrol, please correct me if I am wrong. Does the diesel fair better in this regard?
These are the figures for 1.4 P prestige plus manual covered close to 5k kms.

100% city with heavy traffic and AC set at 23.5 and short trips of 2-5 kms ~ 9-10 kmpl

100% city with light traffic and AC set at 23.5 and short trips of 2-5 kms ~ 10-12 kmpl

100% city with light traffic and AC set at 23.5 and long trips of 10+ kms ~ 11-13 kmpl

100% highway with 6 people onboard and AC set at 22 speed around 90 kmph ~ 18-19kmpl

100% highway with 6 people onboard and AC set at 22 speed more than 100 kmph ~ 15-17 kmpl

The moment you floor the pedal and get some fun out of the motor by keeping the rpm above 2500, get ready to see single digit FE.
sou_3749 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 00:42   #1065
BHPian

I have been researching for insurance quotes and have come across a lot of variation from a low ad 35K to 65K for the same set of coverage. Can people please share the quotes that they have got for their carens. Please mention your variant and the final insurance amount. Mine is the luxury plus 1.4 DCT. And yes, please mention city also. I m from Mumbai.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks