Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2022, 19:55   #1141
BHPian

Re: Kia Carens Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
I mean it can be well managed using 3M Dashboard Trim or Turtle Plastic trim bottles, but the concern is the crappy stuff which is not expected in 15L + vehicle - and that to too so soon, when the car is not washed, not parked in sun.

Heck even my 7 years old Ciaz never got this much dull plastics.
Quote:
Guys, the car is about 2 months old, but the black plastic cladding has discolored quite a bit.

Anyone else facing this ? I know, I can go for any plastic dresser ( Turtle , or 3M dashboard dresser etc ) but is this for all ?

Is it manufacturing defect and needs to be replaced in warranty ?

Attachment 2319265

Looks to me like hard water scaling. Especially since it's more pronounced along the edges where water stagnates.
I could be wrong.

I know I am going to get flak for this, try descaling it with a highly diluted solution of harpic. Or just buy a descaling product specifically made for automotive application.

If it is becoming black again after rinsing and drying, then it's just the water used to wash the car.

regardless, it's always a good idea to keep your plastics dressed with a trim dressing. Not to make it look good, but to prevent it from looking bad

Last edited by Axe77 : 5th August 2022 at 03:25. Reason: Minor typo
Old 4th August 2022, 20:48   #1142
RRU
BHPian

I have been exploring SUVs/MPVs to upgrade - did visit a Kia showroom last Sunday and noticed worn out cladding in one of the new cars kept outside. On asking the SA who helped me with my queries and TD about this issue, he promptly replied that we do polishing when cars come to us for servicing and it looks new again. It seemed to me that he has been posed such questions many times and was very much aware of this issue. Don't want to take away credit from Kia for this successful MPV, but heard many of my friends commenting that ageing Korean cars (running in India) look pretty ugly and give a lot of trouble compared to more reliable Japanese ones, more specifically MSL. Personally i am quite impressed with the TD and considering this one, but still not sure about its long term reliability.
Old 4th August 2022, 21:47   #1143
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, the car is about 2 months old, but the black plastic cladding has discolored quite a bit.

Anyone else facing this ? I know, I can go for any plastic dresser ( Turtle , or 3M dashboard dresser etc ) but is this for all ?

Attachment 2319265
Totally normal, don't worry about it, all Cretas have this issue too and so do most SUVs with black cladding, it looks brand new with polish which lasts about 15 days if it doesn't come in contact with water, that is the only option if you want to retain its deep black look.
Old 4th August 2022, 23:30   #1144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRU View Post
I have heard many of my friends commenting that ageing Korean cars (running in India) look pretty ugly and give a lot of trouble compared to more reliable Japanese ones, more specifically MSL.
Did these "friends" of yours actually own any Korean cars or these were their observations or this was another case of making judgement from heresy.

I have lived with a Elite i20 for more than 7 years. The only parts I changed besides the regular service was the door request sensor, 2 power window switches, a set of clutch- pressure plate, bearing and an exhaust. The last was not needed but I wanted the car to sound a bit different.

My friend as more than a decade old Accent, still runs like a charm.

Neighbour has the first generation Xcent, no troubles at all.

In my opinion Hyundai's age better as MS tends to develop rattles much early in life.

Lastly, it all boils down to how you maintain your car, unless it is a Tata where the cars still become prematurely old.
Maverick1977 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 23:36   #1145

Quote:

Attachment 2319265

Trim dressings are just temporary measures, they just cover it up nothing else. What you need is a trim restorer. The best one according to my research is Cerakote ceramic trim coating. Along with restoring the trim it is also a ceramic coating which gives additional protection. You can find multiple comparison videos of this product, this product always comes out on top.
Old 4th August 2022, 23:52   #1146
RRU
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
Did these "friends" of yours actually own any Korean cars or these were their observations or this was another case of making judgement from heresy.

I have lived with a Elite i20 for more than 7 years. The only parts I changed besides the regular service was the door request sensor, 2 power window switches, a set of clutch- pressure plate, bearing and an exhaust. The last was not needed but I wanted the car to sound a bit different.

My friend as more than a decade old Accent, still runs like a charm.

Neighbour has the first generation Xcent, no troubles at all.

In my opinion Hyundai's age better as MS tends to develop rattles much early in life.

Lastly, it all boils down to how you maintain your car, unless it is a Tata where the cars still become prematurely old.
One owned i20 for 9 years - replaced by Harrier; other owned i20 for a decade - replaced by seltos; one had i10 for 4 years - sold in a huff seeing ever mounting (exaggerated) service/maintenance bills - can go on with a few more examples - but that is not the objective and a race to prove something - short point is - just replying to the use of word 'hearsay" - we all live in the same society (the examples that is elicited and the "friends" i referred to) and the feedback is direct - they all had common complaint - high maintenance cost and niggling issues after a few years.

That said, totally agree with you on how an individual maintains the asset.

"In my opinion Hyundai's age better as MS tends to develop rattles much early in life." - this is just an opinion just as mine was - so, leave it as is.

As far as i am concerned - currently driving an Etios petrol MT - odo reads 1,49,412 kms - badge is enough!

PS: I really liked Carens - may go for it!
RRU is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 08:26   #1147
agm
BHPian

Quote:

Couldn’t agree more with you on this.

I own a 2013 i20 petrol and it has aged really well. Except for few minor hiccups here and there, I have not faced any major issue with the car so far. Only thing which was changed and was something not normal to go bad was steering motor, which made the steering very heavy and within a day it was replaced at Hyundai A.S.S with a new one and since than everything has been butter smooth.

Currently i own taigun along with i20, but previous to taigun, I was driving a swift diesel and I must admit there were so many rattles in that car that I got really fed up and sold it in less than 5years. Even though it had hardly done 40k kms. Although Maruti A.S.S was way better and much cheaper to maintain compared to Hyundai.
agm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 13:11   #1148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
Looks to me like hard water scaling. Especially since it's more pronounced along the edges where water stagnates.
I could be wrong.
Its not hard water per se - checked the TDS of water being used and it's always between 50 to 100.
Moreover, the parking is covered, no harsh sun rays as such.
Covering it with dresser/polish is not a concern, but the issue is "why" !? Probably because of inferior quality being used now.
Because even plastic door protector of my Ciaz was jet black even after 7 years.

Quote:
he promptly replied that we do polishing when cars come to us for servicing and it looks new again. It seemed to me that he has been posed such questions many times and was very much aware of this issue.
Known issue probably then (like roof condensation, like sluggish 1st/2nd gear pickup) . Probably was looking more of an eye sore to me as this is my first car with so much plastic cladding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
Totally normal, don't worry about it, all Cretas have this issue too and so do most SUVs with black cladding, it looks brand new with polish which lasts about 15 days if it doesn't come in contact with water, that is the only option if you want to retain its deep black look.
Absolutely correct, been touching it up with 3M Dashboard Dresser and it performs well for couple of weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanush03 View Post
The best one according to my research is Cerakote ceramic trim coating. Along with restoring the trim it is also a ceramic coating which gives additional protection.
Just for comparison sake, I had ordered 3 different brands - 3M Dashboard Dresser, Sheeba Polish and Wavex too.
The one you are suggesting would be great, but the cost of it is 3500/- !!
In this price, I'll get about 5 years worth of 3M Polish !!
Old 5th August 2022, 13:28   #1149
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
I have been exploring SUVs/MPVs to upgrade - did visit a Kia showroom last Sunday and noticed worn out cladding in one of the new cars kept outside. On asking the SA who helped me with my queries and TD about this issue, he promptly replied that we do polishing when cars come to us for servicing and it looks new again. It seemed to me that he has been posed such questions many times and was very much aware of this issue. Don't want to take away credit from Kia for this successful MPV, but heard many of my friends commenting that ageing Korean cars (running in India) look pretty ugly and give a lot of trouble compared to more reliable Japanese ones, more specifically MSL. Personally i am quite impressed with the TD and considering this one, but still not sure about its long term reliability.
Quote:
One owned i20 for 9 years - replaced by Harrier; other owned i20 for a decade - replaced by seltos; one had i10 for 4 years - sold in a huff seeing ever mounting (exaggerated) service/maintenance bills - can go on with a few more examples - but that is not the objective and a race to prove something - short point is - just replying to the use of word 'hearsay" - we all live in the same society (the examples that is elicited and the "friends" i referred to) and the feedback is direct - they all had common complaint - high maintenance cost and niggling issues after a few years.

Let me add my experience too.

Grand i10 automatic.

8 years old now.
Zero rattles.

No parts except regular maintenance parts changed.
No issues ever reported to service centre, simply because they don't exist.

And the best in class gearbox and interiors.

No, strike that, the best in a class above the segment too
The Torque converter is damn beautiful. And the interiors are built to last!

Even Toyota interiors start looking old and worn out. Not this car.
viXit is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 15:26   #1150
BHPian

Let me add my experience too :-).

2nd gen facelifted i10 .

12 years old now.
Zero rattles.

No parts except regular maintenance parts changed.
No issues ever reported to service centre, simply because they don't exist.

And the best in class powertrain and interiors even after 96000 kms.
callmeneo is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 19:32   #1151
RRU
BHPian

Great to know you all have had remarkable experience hitherto with Hyundai cars - i20 and i10. Since I have driven neither, my opinion was based on feedback/experience shared by my friends who have owned or are owning these cars. I take your feedback/experience in the same spirit as I have taken their...and it goes on.

With my car I have actually experienced rattling issues, but none that could impact my driving experience and have got those fixed without much ado. In terms of features, the machine has mostly must-have and just a few good to have features - can never match Hyundai or Kia in this department. All practical and no issues so far. Haven't noticed any worn out that is not normal for or typical of a reliable car.

Coming back to Carens - with no access to TD the 1.5 NA petrol, can anyone who owns Carens 1.5 NA petrol (premium or prestige) please share his/her experience on:

1) The performance of the engine - power and drivability.
2) Mileage (city and highway)
3) Ability to drive the car in not-so-easy terrain (ghat section, etc.) with fully loaded.

Anything else that is/are important...

Thanks!
RRU is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 19:45   #1152
BHPian

Quote:
Great to know you all have had remarkable experience hitherto with Hyundai cars - i20 and i10. Since I have driven neither, my opinion was based on feedback/experience shared by my friends who have owned or are owning these cars. I take your feedback/experience in the same spirit as I have taken their...and it goes on.

With my car I have actually experienced rattling issues, but none that could impact my driving experience and have got those fixed without much ado. In terms of features, the machine has mostly must-have and just a few good to have features - can never match Hyundai or Kia in this department. All practical and no issues so far. Haven't noticed any worn out that is not normal for or typical of a reliable car.

Coming back to Carens - with no access to TD the 1.5 NA petrol, can anyone who owns Carens 1.5 NA petrol (premium or prestige) please share his/her experience on:

1) The performance of the engine - power and drivability.
2) Mileage (city and highway)
3) Ability to drive the car in not-so-easy terrain (ghat section, etc.) with fully loaded.

Anything else that is/are important...

Thanks!
I do not own one, but have booked a Carens 1.5 Prestige, and was looking for an answer to the same seen couple of videos on youtube where folks are getting good mileage in 1.5 engine. If you drive sedately 16 Kmpl+ is possible on highways .In high city traffic it can vary between 10 to 13 kmpl. Also some said it is better than 1.4 turbo petrol. Carens 1.5 petrol is the same engine that comes in Seltos too HTK+ or something trying to recollect, so that can be a good reference point to check for the engine performance. Though slight variation would be there due to the size and weight difference between 2 cars. As Seltos is a 5 seater and Carens is a 7+

One issue folks are calling out on the low end model is of poor headlights where the quality is not good and its not that bright and recommendation to upgrade to projectors for folks driving on dark roads. Looking for some feedback on the same from Prestige and Premium owners.

Last edited by Dushie : 5th August 2022 at 19:48.
Dushie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 20:48   #1153
RRU
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushie View Post
I do not own one, but have booked a Carens 1.5 Prestige, and was looking for an answer to the same seen couple of videos on Youtube where folks are getting good mileage in 1.5 engine. If you drive sedately 16 Kmpl+ is possible on highways .In high city traffic it can vary between 10 to 13 kmpl. Also some said it is better than 1.4 turbo petrol. Carens 1.5 petrol is the same engine that comes in Seltos too HTK+ or something trying to recollect, so that can be a good reference point to check for the engine performance. Though slight variation would be there due to the size and weight difference between 2 cars. As Seltos is a 5 seater and Carens is a 7+

One issue folks are calling out on the low end model is of poor headlights where the quality is not good and its not that bright and recommendation to upgrade to projectors for folks driving on dark roads. Looking for some feedback on the same from Prestige and Premium owners.
Thanks much - I TD the 1.4 turbo petrol on NH44 and around hebbal, and the trip eked out mileage of ~14 kmpl. Hence, your suggested mileage with 1.5 NA is quite reasonable. Not sure why Kia claims higher ARAI certified mileage for the the 1.4 turbo petrol over 1.5 NA. While Carens' 1.5 NA is the same 1.5 NA Seltos has, driving the latter may not give a true sense of what Carens' 1.5 NA will be beacuse of tuning of the engine for SUV vs family carrier (MPV) and weight variation. Some real-world experience would have been great - can you please share the Youtube links that exhibit experience with 1.5 NA?

On headlamp, DRL and alloy wheels - these are pretty easy upgrades that we can do later.
Old 6th August 2022, 21:28   #1154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadfast View Post
Another day another crash test and another unsafe car.
On professional front, I have stopped delegating critical assignments to my juniors who voluntarily buy such unsafe cars even after crash results are out because a person who can't value life of loved ones how can he/she be dependable for a critical assignment.
In my workspace some of the best performers commute on two wheelers! Be kind to people around you - in speech and in action. You might have no idea regarding their personal priorities and their life-situations.

Last edited by Aditya : 7th August 2022 at 04:51. Reason: Personal attack
Sidjohri is offline   (5) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 9th August 2022, 19:42   #1155
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks much - I TD the 1.4 turbo petrol on NH44 and around hebbal, and the trip eked out mileage of ~14 kmpl. Hence, your suggested mileage with 1.5 NA is quite reasonable. Not sure why Kia claims higher ARAI certified mileage for the the 1.4 turbo petrol over 1.5 NA. While Carens' 1.5 NA is the same 1.5 NA Seltos has, driving the latter may not give a true sense of what Carens' 1.5 NA will be beacuse of tuning of the engine for SUV vs family carrier (MPV) and weight variation. Some real-world experience would have been great - can you please share the Youtube links that exhibit experience with 1.5 NA?

On headlamp, DRL and alloy wheels - these are pretty easy upgrades that we can do later.
Sharing few links below :
This guys owns a Carens 1.5 and keeps putting lot of videos.
His name is Massarrat Abbas , you can check his videos.

This lady also has the same model but not much detailed video.

One more video

another from same guy

Another video

This video he is getting pretty high, so not sure on accuracy.

I usually keep viewing their content. Not all are very informative, but gives a pretty good idea of what performance and mileage to expect.

Another one
Dushie is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks