Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2022, 16:22   #1201
BHPian

Re: Kia Carens Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SU-30MKI View Post
Guys,

Booked Carens on 8th Aug and got it delivered on 31st Aug – Lux Plus D MT.

:
Completed my 1st long drive - around 200KM; started at 4AM, reached the destination at 8AM. A few observations

1. Kids enjoyed the SPACE. The elder one chose the middle bench, while the younger one chose the rear. Both had a comfortable sleep - the car absorbed the bad roads and the ride was very comfortable

2. Mileage: Completed 598KM - The MID showed 15.2KM per liter. The speeds were below 90KMPH and the RPM was less than 2000.
This is in stark contrast with the videos I have seen where it was claimed that mileage would be much higher. I hope this will improve after 1st service.

3. Torque: As expected; the car struggled when traffic forced me to stop in inclines. Had to give considerable acceleration to move, hill stop did help in ensuring that no half clutch gimmick was required.

4. Head Light Throw: This was a disappointment. Need to now read through the forum to understand whether there are ways to improve the lighting without voiding the warranty.

5. The light fabric is already proving to be a pain to maintain. Need to now check out the various self interior cleaning options as there are dirt marks already.
SU-30MKI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 17:22   #1202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaustavguha View Post
Tried that approach! Unfortunately the SA said that again only one key FOB will arrive from KIA and because i am claiming that my other FOB is lost, they will program the new FOB and erase the old one.
You can get the Key Fob programmed from outside aftermarket key makers and shops is what my understanding is. I got keys created for my older Honda City couple of years ago and they were able to program it. So i do not think this would be a challenge. But why go through so much of pain, when its not an emergency.
Dushie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 20:07   #1203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushie View Post
You can get the Key Fob programmed from outside aftermarket key makers and shops is what my understanding is. I got keys created for my older Honda City couple of years ago and they were able to program it. So i do not think this would be a challenge. But why go through so much of pain, when its not an emergency.
I had thought of that, as as you pointed out that because I am in no hurry to get the car, i will wait!
Old 10th September 2022, 01:25   #1204

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
Guys, the car is about 2 months old, but the black plastic cladding has discolored quite a bit.

Anyone else facing this ? I know, I can go for any plastic dresser ( Turtle , or 3M dashboard dresser etc ) but is this for all ?

Is it manufacturing defect and needs to be replaced in warranty ?

Attachment 2319265
I have the Diesel Luxury Plus MT, Glacier pearl white model. The plastic cladding on the sides has discolored the way you have posted within 3 months of purchase. Car is always parked in the shade and have a watchman who wipes clean the vehicle everyday. Definitely not expected from a 20L priced vehicle. I has started using turtle wax to make it look shiny for few days at least.

I own the carens Diesel 6MT Luxury Plus variant in the glacier pearl white color. I have done 6000 kms in last 3 months of ownership and been happy with the way it has served so far. I drive in a mix of highway and small town routes and on night roads as well. The biggest challenge I am facing so far is with the headlight behavior. Though this is the top end vehicle with LED projection lamps, the through is still not the best and lighting seems inadequate when there are other sources of light on road - shops, incoming vehicles, passing streetlights. The vehicle also needs to be steered in a blind when you are passing through a sharp curve on ghat road or bends as there is NO cornering light present in the headlight unit.
Does anyone face similar problem and been able to upgrade the lights?
Is it possible to install cornering headlamps or extra set of LED lights to provide some visibility during those sharp turns?

Last edited by moralfibre : 10th September 2022 at 03:34. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Please use multi-quote option when replying to multiple posts. Thank you!
Old 10th September 2022, 07:53   #1205
BHPian

Re: Kia Carens : Ownership Review (Prestige Plus Turbo Petrol Manual)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishk12 View Post
I got my vehicle alloted - Prestige Plus 1.4 Turbo Petrol Manual in Prestige Blue
  • Wireless Android Auto/Apple Carplay (variants above Prestige Plus don't have Wirelss AA or Carplay)
Congratulations for your new car. This color looks stunning and luxurious.

Just one question: why you saying it do not have Wireless Android Auto? As far as I know, from Prestige upto top model Luxury Plus, it has Wireless Android auto. Have personally used it
Old 10th September 2022, 21:42   #1206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by India2022 View Post

Just one question: why you saying it do not have Wireless Android Auto? As far as I know, from Prestige upto top model Luxury Plus, it has Wireless Android auto. Have personally used it
The top models which have 10.25 inch infotainment systems dont have the wireless Android Auto and Apple Car Play. They must be connected through USB to use those services. Only the 8 inch ones have the wireless connectivity option.
Wakeupsid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 18:22   #1207

Quote:
Originally Posted by India2022 View Post

Only Prestige & Prestige Plus variants have Wireless Android Auto, higher variants - Luxury & Luxury Plus have Andriod Auto, however wireless option is omitted in these variants.
Multiple owners have confirmed the same in our telegram owners group.
Old 17th September 2022, 13:39   #1208

So there's a weird problem with my Carens.
The AC switches off and air throw type (face, legs etc) changes randomly if I keep any of the front doors open for more than 7-8 seconds.
If I close the doors quickly (or back doors are open), this doesn't happen.
Also, this started only during heavy rains. Anything to do with wonky touch sensors/switches?
Old 17th September 2022, 14:16   #1209
Senior - BHPian

I was surprised that the base Premium Kia Carens with 1.5 L petrol engine and 6 speed manual gear box can be had at Rs 959000 ex-S and a below Rs 11 L on road. with 6 airbags, ABS, EBD, HSA, HDC, all wheel disc brakes, 7 seats, etc but bare bones with no audio system: which can be easily retro fitted. Does any one on this forum have this and if so how good is it to ferry with all seats occupied and luggage?
Old 17th September 2022, 21:59   #1210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Does any one on this forum have this and if so how good is it to ferry with all seats occupied and luggage?
Feedback is quite positive, no issues faced by owners in general. But, you would be put off with its waiting. Many are waiting from almost 5 months. Looks like Kia isn't giving much preference for this model.
praveenkkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 18:30   #1211
BHPian

Had anyone changed or upgraded their tyres? The MRF wanderers that the car came with were supposedly good enough not to warrant an upgrade but in a span of 2 days I lost 2 tyres.
One tyre I cannot blame the quality as a rod pierced right through and tore the side wall. But the other tyre developed a small but and the side wall buldged out. All this happened on just one weekend (same weekend that Cyrus Mistry died) and on the very same road that he had travelled on.

I had no choice but to change the tyres to Continental UC-6. Changed all 4 as the third tyre had also a very minute buldge.

The change has made quite a difference, the noise is almost not there and ride feels smoother.

Did any one face any issues with their tyres? If you have upgraded why did you do so and what did you upgrade to?
Old 19th September 2022, 11:57   #1212
BHPian

I bought a Carens D AT top end version about 6 months ago. It's travelled over 6000 kms so far and has been relatively problem free. The running has been a mix of highway and city, but considering that the highways are KL highways we can as well consider most of it as equivalent to city driving.
We have the 6 seat version and my parents find the middle seats to be very comfortable. The front ventilated seats are also pretty good. While not a spirited car, it's very good for lazy driving. The pros and cons of the car have been well documented in different threads and I'm not going to repeat them here. There are however some specific issues that I have faced which would be worth documenting for others.

1) The right and left mirrors don't do overall justice to cover such a large car. I have not been able to adjust them to a point where I can see the top and bottom portion of the rear of the car.
2) While on the same topic, the sensors and the reverse camera (guide lines) are a little off (erring to the safer side), so these in combination with the mirrors don't do a very good job in tight situations. And those who drive in KL will vouch that most roads here are tight situations. The above two combined have resulted in a few scratches on Carens left side.
3) The mileage shown in the MID is much more than the mileage calculated in the full tank to full tank method. I've mentioned this to the service center during the first service, but nothing's been done so far. They required more time to check into this and I've told them that I will bring it in another day. The best mileage I've got is around 18 (mainly highway) with the worst being a little above 7 (short city runs).
4) The temperature shown in the MID is not right. This is specifically true if the car has been parked outside for some time and then driven for a few minutes. I've had instances where the temperature shown has been in the high 40s. This too has been pointed out to the service center and they checked and responded that the sensors fine. The next time I took pictures to show them, but they were not able to find the cause.
5) And the big daddy of them all - DPF. I had no issues with the emission system for the first 5k km. Two weeks ago, we drove from Trivandrum to Wayanad, a distance of around 600 km. While there I got my first DPF warning. I called the TRV service folks, and they guided me to doing a manual regeneration. This removed the warning and all was well. We drove back to Trivandrum last Sunday and the warning appeared again on Monday. This time the engine light was also flickering along with the DPF warning. I did a manual regen and then took it into the service station the next day. They cleared the filter and said "all is well".

What surprised me was the warnings coming on after a long drive. My understanding of the working was that it gets cleared during long drives due to the heat. The service technician said that the issue most probably was due to lower quality (non BS VI) fuel being used. His recommendation was an IOC pump down the road. He also recommended IOC over the others for BS VI. This could be a possibility as in both scenarios when the warnings came, I was running on fuel that we'd pumped from unknown pumps along the way. Will have to wait to see if this repeats.

Cheers
Manu
SafeDrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 19:00   #1213
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
1) The right and left mirrors don't do overall justice to cover such a large car. I have not been able to adjust them to a point where I can see the top and bottom portion of the rear of the car.
Why do you need to see the top of the car, along with the bottom ? I'm guessing that you probably are already adjusting the mirror to tilt downwards to see the rear wheel against the kerb, while reverse parking. What I can't understand is the requirement of a mirror that will cover the 'full height of the car'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
3) The mileage shown in the MID is much more than the mileage calculated in the full tank to full tank method. I've mentioned this to the service center during the first service, but nothing's been done so far. They required more time to check into this and I've told them that I will bring it in another day. The best mileage I've got is around 18 (mainly highway) with the worst being a little above 7 (short city runs).
There is nothing the service center can do, they are saying "will check" (like they always respond in default) just to stop the customer asking questions. This is factory setting within the firmware. Probably has to do with the "who has the highest FE" war between Hyundai and Maruti, to entice/cajole their prospective/current customers with stupendous MID numbers.
Old 19th September 2022, 23:32   #1214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster1008 View Post
Bumping my own question. Has anyone done this ?
have a Carens D AT and so far have done 11.8K KMs. Have used cruise control at various speeds from 96KMPH to 120 KMPH and the car drives beautifully. The noise is a little more from the engine but turn up the music and its not a concern.

Just love the way the car drives on the highways. Mileage is directly proportional to the speed. at 120 KMPH you will end up getting around 17 KMPL with full load.

If you want mileage then the best is to stick to around 100KMPH and the mileage would be close to 20 KMPL. If you want more then stay below 100 KMPH and use Cruise control. I tried once using CC at 88 KMPH over a distance of around 100 KM and the mileage was around 23!

So far i haven't had issued with DPF as most of my running has been on highways
ant_vas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 08:52   #1215
BHPian

[quote=ant_vas;5405108]have a Carens D AT and so far have done 11.8K KMs. /QUOTE]

Thanks man but I was expecting some real life experience from one of the 1.5P owners.
noopster1008 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed