Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2023, 22:54   #1306
BHPian

Re: Kia Carens Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
I too have a Diesel Auto, and have a similar issue in the steering. For me, I felt that the car kept understeering but it never bothered me too much and over the last almost 15,000kms now, I have grown accustomed to it.
I had seen some review of Carens steering mentioning this weird sensation and I thought it was Team-BHP and searched extensively, before posting the question, but couldn't find it. Now I found that, its actually mentioned in the Carwale review section and that's exactly the problem I have.

Carwale's take on Kia Carens: Could be better -
Steering - The speed/force of the steering’s returnability feels artificial and tedious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaustavguha View Post
I have sometimes felt a jerk sort of thing while the car shifts gears around 1800 to 2000 rpm, but only under sudden acceleration.
This jerk thing is real, but I observed this around the 1,500 rpm range, in fact right after I finish accelerating and when I'm about to resume coasting in low rpm. I'm taking the car for a service tomorrow, but as we all know too well, I will never be able to replicate the issue when I get within 1 km radius of the service center.
Attached Images

Old 2nd February 2023, 00:04   #1307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inwester View Post
I'm taking the car for a service tomorrow, but as we all know too well, I will never be able to replicate the issue when I get within 1 km radius of the service center.
Please do let us know what the service centre had to say.
Old 2nd February 2023, 20:30   #1308
BHPian

Hello,

Has anyone got 90/100 watts or 130/100 watts halogen bulb installed with relay?
Old 2nd February 2023, 22:02   #1309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImranHyd View Post
4200 km update

It has been around 75 days since I got my Kia Carens Diesel Automatic (Aurora Black)
Are you getting perceptible jerks when the car shifts gears? Particularly while down shifting from 3rd to 2nd and from 2nd to 1st. My Vento TDI DSG has this problem, thus the query.

Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 22:13   #1310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaustavguha View Post
Please do let us know what the service centre had to say.
The service technician did a long test drive and of course he wasn't able to replicate the issue. Then they did the scanning and said they didn't find any issues or errors. So I will keep monitoring and report back.
Old 2nd February 2023, 22:15   #1311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inwester View Post
The service technician did a long test drive and of course he wasn't able to replicate the issue. Then they did the scanning and said they didn't find any issues or errors. So I will keep monitoring and report back.
This always happens, the issue is never replicated in a short test drive and almost never when the service technician is driving!
Old 3rd February 2023, 07:02   #1312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
Are you getting perceptible jerks when the car shifts gears? Particularly while down shifting from 3rd to 2nd and from 2nd to 1st. My Vento TDI DSG has this problem, thus the query.

Thanks
No. Gear changes are always smooth except when I press the pedal a bit much when the engine goes on higher RPM.
Old 9th February 2023, 13:35   #1313
BHPian

Kia Carens Crumples like a Piece of Paper

Hello everybody.
I would like to narrate my experience recent unfortunate accident involving our 6 month old Kia Carens LP. I was travelling in a colony by-lane and trying to turn left however due to blinding sunlight hitting my eyes at the unfortunate time I could not react immediately and ended up rear ending another car in front.
Before I could understand what happened, I heard a fairly loud crumpling sound from the front right side of the car. To my utter shock the driver side door would not open hence I could not even step out to see the extent of damage.
Nevertheless the other person was obviously infuriated in this early morning crash but we both were gentlemen enough to not resort to any verbal arguments or exchanged any abuses. I simply accepted my mistake and we exchanged our numbers and insurance papers. This was the end of the ordeal on the road since I couldn’t get out of the car I immediately headed back home and jumped out of the passenger side of the car to assess the damage.
I was totally shocked to see the extent of damage to my car even though I had bumped at a measly speed of 10 to 15 kilometres per hour. As evident from the photos, the entire Bumper, Right Side Fender and Headlight were totally squashed and destroyed. After opening the bonnet, I also saw cracks on some of the plastic parts covering the headlights on the inside.
What was the most disappointing thing for me was that even in this such low-speed shunt the driver side door got blocked and wouldn't open since the Fender had also got squashed towards the A pillar of the car.
Following are some of my observations:
1. The sheet metal used is extremely thin and weak.
2. The collapse wall at front is very poor.
3. The drivers door shouldn’t have been blocked at all atleast till 60kmph as per NCAP.
4. A higher speed crash would have been a major disaster.
5. The insides of the bumper are totally hollow. Or insufficient support for bumper.

By the way, other car was Innova. Fortunately, The only thing that happened to it was a ding to the rear bumper and scratches.

Moreover, another eye opener was the apparent “3rd Party Claim” Insurance. We both thought that by simple exchaing the insurancde papers, he would be able to get the claim amount from my insurance company. But it is not as easy as it sounds.
For this to work, following is required:
1. Personal injury to a 3rd Party
2. FIR
3. The case will goto court and then to an arbitrator.
4. Upon decision of above, the insurance company will appeal and then an amount for the same would be decided.
5. The whole process would take atleast 2-3 Months.
6. Hence, we both decided that it is big crazy to get in to all this and decided to solve the matter amicably.

So basically, the concept of 3rd Party Insurance is mostly for “Hospital” level accidents I guess.

Anyway, I am having thoughts about selling the car and get a decent value while I can and not risk any further incidents. I was hoping for a better result from a 3 star rated car. And most probably my last Kia or a last Non 5-star crash rated car. And hence the analogy of the heading, it simple crumples like a paper jammed in printer.

Safe Driving!
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Carens Review-20230206_110257.jpg  

Kia Carens Review-20230206_110303.jpg  

Kia Carens Review-20230206_110309.jpg  

Kia Carens Review-20230206_110313.jpg  

Kia Carens Review-20230206_110414.jpg  

Kia Carens Review-20230206_110417.jpg  

sidharthg is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 14:52   #1314
BHPian

While I was reading, I didn't expect the damage to be this severe for 10-15 kmph accident.
Try to check with the service center why the door did get jammed. It is OK now that door did not opened, but in worst case, it could have been fatal (there is a thread on Team-BHP where recently a Celerio or S-Presso caught fire and couple died in the car due to non opening of the doors)
Also, please keep a small hammer for breaking glass in case the doors get jammed.
grshnehete is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 22:20   #1315
BHPian

Re: Kia Carens Crumples like a Piece of Paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidharthg View Post
Hello everybody.
Though I was dissappointed after Carens got 3* rating, this incident is a shocker.
There is no point in governments making n airbags mandatory, which manufacturers meet by fixing some baloons. Instead, crash test should be made mandatory.

Looking at their marketing stratergy of putting more focus on safety, I was assuming Kia has learnt a lesson or two. But, looks like they only learnt on how to fool us Indians (sales numbers confirms this).

There are other safety hazards which Kia has blalantly ignored. The air purifier is one such hazard. A kid seated behind this purifier would get injured even on slightest jerk.
Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to sell this and have to somehow manage for few more years.
Hopefully, I will get a 5* rated car which also meets my other basic requirements by then.

By the way, this car has got ICOTY award!

Last edited by praveenkkr : 9th February 2023 at 22:22. Reason: add few more lines
praveenkkr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 00:26   #1316
BHPian

There is no visible damage anywhere close to the doors so I am wondering what could be the reason for the door getting jammed. Did something get in the way? Are you able to open the door from outside or the problem still persists. This is a bit surprising and worrisome. I would seriously advice you to raise this issue with Kia and get to understand why this happened. It will be an eye opener for all.
The shunt looks bad, are you sure your speeds were really that low? You have pics of the damage to the Innova?
The build quality in most modern cars is less said the better. Our Dzire got into a slow speed shunt few days back, the front left fender got badly damaged. The TUV that hit us barely got a few scratches.
Old 10th February 2023, 01:01   #1317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidharthg View Post
I was hoping for a better result from a 3 star rated car.
I am sorry about the incident. For future reference, an NCAP rating will not reduce damage in a low-speed shunt like this. In NCAP frontal offset crash testing most of the energy dissipation takes place through the front longitudinals and members running around the passenger compartment, which play no role in low-speed crashes. Moreover, door opening forces, although recorded and sometimes published, are not used to calculate the test score. Low-speed consumer crash tests for strength of bumpers, fenders, headlights, and other cosmetic parts, and corresponding repair cost, are undertaken by insurance-industry funded programmes globally like Thatcham Research, CESVI, C-IASI and formerly the IIHS. Currently there is no such programme in India and consequently no way to compare low-speed damage/repair costs for different cars.

Video of a similar test for example:

The damage is quite unexpected and the door being jammed could be a hazard. Hope the matter is solved simply and quickly, without legal hassles.

Last edited by ron178 : 10th February 2023 at 01:02.
ron178 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 09:05   #1318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
I am sorry about the incident. For future reference, an NCAP rating will not reduce damage in a low-speed shunt like this. In NCAP frontal offset crash testing most of the energy dissipation takes place through the front longitudinals and members running around the passenger compartment, which play no role in low-speed crashes. Moreover, door opening forces, although recorded and sometimes published, are not used to calculate the test score. Low-speed consumer crash tests for strength of bumpers, fenders, headlights, and other cosmetic parts, and corresponding repair cost, are undertaken by insurance-industry funded programmes globally like Thatcham Research, CESVI, C-IASI and formerly the IIHS. Currently there is no such programme in India and consequently no way to compare low-speed damage/repair costs for different cars.

Video of a similar test for example:
https://Youtu.be/9cjwgHtrBxA

The damage is quite unexpected and the door being jammed could be a hazard. Hope the matter is solved simply and quickly, without legal hassles.
Right. I think there is a misconception in general public that a 5 star rated cars don't take damage. It's actually wrong. Rated cars will have more crumple zones which absorb the shock during collision and save the occupants by keeping the cabin intact. So generally I would say car did well here
_chikku is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 10:09   #1319
BHPian

Sorry to see your new Carens like this, thank god nothing major !!

I think there will be crumple zone outside the core passenger cage which is generally delicate in many cars. Some companies deliberately keep it delicate to avoid damage to pedestrians in case of a hit.

Though heart breaks to see such severe damage in minor collisions like this, it's not a major concern triggering to sell the new car. But not able to open the door is a concern for sure, to be checked with Kia (unless the damaged fender obstructing the door opening at the joint).

Yes Seltos/Carens didn't do well in GNCAP, may not be as safe in a major crash.

Having said that, crumple zone seem to be stronger in Tata and Mahindra cars.
Old 10th February 2023, 13:37   #1320
BHPian

I doubt raising anything with KIA will resolve anything. Plus, it will only add to repair time.
Yes car was at that speed only hence I too was taken aback. It is just unfathomable that the door wouldn't open. The impact on the front side of the fender prompted it to block the opening of the door.
sidharthg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks