Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2022, 13:09   #181
BHPian

Re: Kia Carens Review

Stunning pricing by Kia India. With 6 airbags standard across all trims and a very usable 3rd row it is all set to rule the MPV segment. Great time to be in the market for a 6/7 seater MPV.
shekjsk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 13:09   #182
BHPian

Booked Prestige Petrol NA 1.5 7 seater version. I was expecting around 16 lakh OTR in Bangalore but at 12.5 lakhs OTR, its a steal. They have not confirmed on the number of bookings the introductory price is valid for. Hopefully ill be within that threshold.
rajeevyes is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 13:12   #183
Senior - BHPian

So technically you get a car with 6/7 seats, around 190mm ground clearance, 6 airbags, ESP, hill assist at approximately 10.5 lac OTR. Without doubt, this is the most VFM car on the road today. Its aiming all the way from Triber territory to the Innova/XUV700 territory (1.4 petrol).
In future, even if they raise the prices by 15% it will continue to be competitive.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 15th February 2022 at 13:15.
fhdowntheline is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 13:13   #184
Senior - BHPian

2 lakh premium for turbo petrol! That is quite a lot of premium. Looks like Kia is ok with lower margins on NA engine which will help to pull crowds to showroom with the lower starting price. Otherwise there is no reason for a 2 lakh gap between NA & turbo petrol.
AkMar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 13:19   #185
BHPian

Super aggressive pricing from Kia! I predicted it right, well almost. With this kind of pricing, Carens has success written all over it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
I have a feeling that Kia might price Carens on par with Seltos, especially the lower variants. I won't be surprised even if the top variant is priced a shade lower than the Seltos top variant (GT Line)
Emvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 13:22   #186
Senior - BHPian

This is interesting. How are they able to price it so much less than Alcazar? Is it just because they opted out of the 2.0 petrol engine? Suddenly Crysta appears like the naked king. Even XUV700 will be affected by this.
Old 15th February 2022, 13:26   #187
BHPian

Superb pricing. Especially the entry variant which has almost everything that you would use on a regular basis. Good step in giving 6 airbags for the entry level variant as well. Makes you think about the amount of margins the other cars at this price level are enjoying. If a new entrant like Kia could introduce a base variant at 8.99 with a 1.5L petrol and lot many safety features, makes you think why cant the others considering they have been in India for a long time and have a good hold over their suppliers .

Has a stick for all the cars from top end Triber to the base variant of Innova.
The most surprising fact is this car end where the Alcazar begins. So either this is an extremely VFM car or the Alcazar is damn costly for what it offers.

Also may see some cross shopping from Seltos too. Can be used a 5 seater with a bigger boot than Seltos.

Last edited by callmeneo : 15th February 2022 at 13:32.
callmeneo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 13:27   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
2 lakh premium for turbo petrol! That is quite a lot of premium. Looks like Kia is ok with lower margins on NA engine which will help to pull crowds to showroom with the lower starting price. Otherwise there is no reason for a 2 lakh gap between NA & turbo petrol.
The Turbo variants get bigger 16 inch wheels as well compared to 15 inchers on NA petrol variants. But a premium of 2 lacs for these two changes (turbo engine + wheels) indeed feels to be on a higher side.
Old 15th February 2022, 13:38   #189
BHPian

2 lakh difference between diesel luxury and luxury plus AT. Does the addition of AT, ventilated seats, bose speakers and 10 inch Infotainment system command this 2L premium?
Old 15th February 2022, 13:39   #190

Well well. Disruptive prices by KIA. This shows the eagerness to enter the MPV segment which is ruled by innova and with this pricing they can definitely upset the market. Wasn't expecting below 10 lakhs with 6 airbags and all safety features but it is going to cannibalize seltos and sonet.
Old 15th February 2022, 13:41   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

This is shock pricing indeed. The Carens is going head on against the Ertiga & XL7! The Alcazar owners are going to be red in the face today!

The base Premium variant is very well loaded for the price.
  • 6 Airbags
  • ECS, VSM, BAS, Hill Assist
  • All wheel disc brakes
  • Highline TPMS
  • Semi-leatherette Seats
  • Front Armrest & storage tray
  • AC for 2nd and 3rd row
  • Electric second seat tumble
  • 50:50 third row split
  • All 4 electric power windows
  • Sliding AND reclining 2nd row seats

Feature Comparison Attached. Brochure also attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Carens Review-capture.png  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Kia_Carens_Page_Brochure_Desktop.pdf (5.86 MB, 581 views)

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 15th February 2022 at 13:57.
84.monsoon is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 13:44   #192
BHPian

oh boy! Nice and aggressive pricing, to a level that it may just eat into Seltos sales. A friend of mine was waiting eagerly but not hopeful given Alcazar pricing, he is now heading to Kia showroom to make his booking.
Would have been good if the first Automatic version was under 15lacs
Old 15th February 2022, 13:49   #193
BHPian

Stunning prices by Kia!. 2 Lakhs price difference between 1.5 NA petrol and 1.5 diesel is not acceptable.
However, Kia is said these are the introductory prices. Maybe after some time, they will increase the 1.5NA petrol by 50K to 1 Lakhs rupees and the gap between 1.5NA petrol and 1.5 diesel prices will be reduced.

Suddenly Kia is looking for value for money compared to Ertiga/XL6. I believe Kia is targetting mainly on Ertiga/XL6 buyers. Another success story from Kia. Entry-level variant of Seltos -HTE/Creta -E 1.5NA petrol buyers also may re-think and enter into Kia Carens premium and prestige 1.5NA petrol variants.
Tough time for Maruti Ertiga/XL6
Old 15th February 2022, 13:50   #194
BHPian

Holy Moly!! I just jumped in my office chair! They are literally killing it. I mean in one go they have collectively smashed Suzuki, M&M and Tata. Heck, even Hyundai! Love the sibling rivalry! Brilliant! Yes, agreed, metal quality of Tata and M&M will be better but its too much of an undercut!

Now, even Jeep has its work cutout! They will literally have to fill Meridian with all the comfort creature on the planet to justify an almost double price tag. (I'm predicting it to be around 30+L)

And then the other Auto makers are simply moaning and whining about the Indian Auto Industry. If you give such amazing VFM pricing then the products are bound to be successful!

My only confusion it Diesel or Petrol (both auto)!
(Diesel for its running cost and TC gearbox) (Petrol for lower maintenance cost but DCT is still a gamble)
sidharthg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 14:02   #195
BHPian

Off topic and not a good example but Zac Hollis at Skoda would be thinking whether he should launch Slavia or pack up?? I know it's a different segment altogether but suddenly everything else seems to be overpriced.

Great job Kia, attaching what Youtube channel V3Cars had predicted pricing and the variants description if it may be of any help to others:
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Carens Review-v3cars.jpg  

firstdrive is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed