Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2022, 15:27   #211
BHPian

Re: Kia Carens Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj08 View Post
Lets see Carens Prestige 1.5NA petrol vs XL6 Zeta - Carens gets
6airbags, a lot of important safety features, rear disc brakes, bigger head unit, rear camera, front parking sensors, bigger dimensions, higher ground clearance, bigger and wider wheels, electric seat tumble and TPMS. All this over the XL6 Zeta while being priced below 10L resulting in a lower on-road price vs the XL6..
Absolutely. I have new Ertiga which is 3 years old. If I am on the market, definitely I would have gone for Carens instead of Ertiga for the safety features alone. Competition is good, we consumers get benefited. Happy to see that disruption in the market with launches like this.
blorebuddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 15:29   #212
BHPian

The prices are stunning, no doubt. However, for the discerning buyer, the Carens is an incomplete package (poor diesel engine, DCT, and questionable crash worthiness).

For the mass market, Kia certainty have a winner on their hands. M&M need to their act together for XUV700 deliveries. Else, they could lose out on a lot of business.
Old 15th February 2022, 15:31   #213
Senior - BHPian

Amazing pricing by Kia. Since I hate MUVs I had not read much on Carens, so pardon me - I thought Carens / Seltos is same as Alcazar / Creta. Then how did they manage to undercut Seltos, while Alcazar is expensive than Creta. Is Alcazar much more loaded than Carens? I know Alcazar comes with 2 NA petrol engine, but I would anyday prefer 1.4 Turbo over 2 NA.
Anyway good move and hopefully other OEMs learn a thing or 2.

Last edited by sunikkat : 15th February 2022 at 15:32.
Old 15th February 2022, 15:35   #214
BHPian

Absolutely winner pricing strategy by Kia. This is even gonna halt some people for considering cars like the Creta/Seltos let alone the direct segment rivalries.
A lot of people will consider opting for a good 20L car like the Carens for family travels instead of the Innova which stretches out to 32L!
Old 15th February 2022, 15:36   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
As usual, Kia is silent about the Kerb weight. So it is not possible to tell if it indeed heavier than Seltos.

Hyundai and Kia do not reveal the kerb weight of their cars in their brochures.
It is indeed sad that Kia does not reveal the kerb weight.

Instead, they provide the Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) for both Seltos and Carens. The GVW of the Seltos 1.4 DCT is 1,705 kg while for Carens 1.4 DCT 7 seater it is 1,950. Difference is 245kg; of which about 140 - 150 kg will be for the weight of 2 additional passengers. So can we say that net-net the Carens is about 100 kg heavier than Seltos?

Since Tata is more transparent, it is easy to say that the kerb weight of Safari is 150 kg more than Harrier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Amazing pricing by Kia. Since I hate MUVs I had not read much on Carens, so pardon me - I thought Carens / Seltos is same as Alcazar / Creta. Then how did they manage to undercut Seltos, while Alcazar is expensive than Creta. Is Alcazar much more loaded than Carens? I know Alcazar comes with 2 NA petrol engine, but I would anyday prefer 1.4 Turbo over 2 NA.
Anyway good move and hopefully other OEMs learn a thing or 2.
It is almost a 3L difference between the 2L Alcazar and 1.4 Turbo Carens at the top end. While there are a number of feature differences (sunroof, electronic parking brake, electric seat adjust, better console, 360 deg camera, the middle console in the 6 seater) but 3 L seems a bit excessive for the same. What gives?

Last edited by Eddy : 15th February 2022 at 16:03. Reason: Merged. Please use the edit / multiquote functionality instead of back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread.
swami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 16:09   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

Siddharth Vinayak Patankar had shared a teaser before the GNCAP results were declared, but he had added the Kia Carens in the teaser, and not the Magnite!

I have a strong feeling that GNCAP has tested the Carens as well, just that the results haven’t been declared.

Kia Carens Review-492895375d26401e983d724821da4ddb.jpeg
CEF_Beasts is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 16:11   #217
BHPian

Disruptive pricing by Kia - guess its introductory - so leaves open the possibility of hikes later in the year.

Even then, its clear Kia is targeting volumes here - similar to a Seltos and a Sonet - upwards of 5K per month - than staying a somewhat niche player in the 6/7 seater market like Alcazar/ Safari/ Hector Plus with volumes in the 2-3K per month range.

This is certainly going to get people to cross-shop across segments ranging from Triber, Ertiga to Innova, XUV - not to forget Kia's own Seltos/ Sonet

Aside of certain premium features - full sun-roof, 360 camera, - and certain other less-than-daily-use features like electric front seat adjustment, fully digital display, electric parking brake, the Carens is loaded with features and safety equipment.

Now only if Kia can get 4/5 stars NCAP for the Carens - this would be a total VFM, all-rounder package. The 1.4 petrol being slightly more performance oriented - and the refined diesel for the mileage oriented

Around comparisons with Alcazar - I think Hyundai played greedy or exclusive with a near 3 lac premium over a Creta, which in of itself is not exactly VFM. Kia is playing hard here - not sparing its 'cousin' Hyundai either

Last edited by RoadTiger : 15th February 2022 at 16:18.
Old 15th February 2022, 16:12   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidharthg View Post
Now, even Jeep has its work cutout! They will literally have to fill Meridian with all the comfort creature on the planet to justify an almost double price tag. (I'm predicting it to be around 30+L)

(Diesel for its running cost and TC gearbox) (Petrol for lower maintenance cost but DCT is still a gamble)
Nothing less than 45L I can guarantee. Given that Compass is already into 30+ OTR territory there's no way they will price it below 40-42
Frusciante is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 16:18   #219
BHPian

I’ve booked Prestige plus Diesel manual today. The official waiting period is 13-14 weeks already. I guess the waiting period will cross 20 weeks real soon.
furyrider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 16:18   #220
BHPian

I had booked Creta SX iVT Petrol but now with Carens pricing, I also booked Carens Diesel AT (Luxury Plus). For a price difference of 1.30L I am getting - 7 seater/bigger car, Diesel Auto, Top variant specific features (Bose, Leather/ventilated seats etc). Much better value in comparison to Creta.

As most of the people said that with this pricing Carens with cannibalise Ertiga/XL6 and Innova. But I can say Creta and Seltos will also be affected big time.

I feel other major movement will be high demand by taxi segment due to missing Diesel in Maruti.

With this pricing Kia wants to increase its presence in India. With more demand it becomes easy to open more showroom/service centres in Tier 2/3 cities as well. By selling new cars Kia might not make much money but by servicing network it will get continuous flow of money. With more cars in market new service centres can break-even very soon.
dextor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 16:27   #221
BHPian

Great pricing by Kia! I see a clear demarcation between how auto-makers from the west/old world order view markets like India (and other emerging economies) vs the ones from Korea/China. Reminds me of the myopic two-dimensional prism the world was historically viewed from (developed/developing - first/third world), economies have moved on from being labelled between two ends of the spectrum and in my view organizations that continue to operate through their old ways are staring at imminent loss in the long run.

The likes of VW, Skoda, Honda, Toyota see it as a market where they can cut corners, deplete features, price horrendously and crib about how the market isn't 'evolved much' while the likes of Hyundai, Kia, MG and even TML and Mahindra push the envelope on what products can and should be offered (with full cognizance to the safety angle on Kia/Hyundai). I also see this repeatedly at my workplace with new launches/pricing strategies where everything is through the prism of how it's done in the HQ vs what's relevant for the market. I refuse to believe that with the right mix of pricing, offering and given our potential for high volumes, we aren't a market that is promising.

Last edited by throttlehead : 15th February 2022 at 16:34.
throttlehead is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 16:37   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttlehead View Post

The likes of VW, Skoda, Honda, Toyota see it as a market where they can cut corners, deplete features, price horrendously and crib about how the market isn't 'evolved much' while the likes of Hyundai, Kia, MG and even TML and Mahindra push the envelope on what products can and should be offered (with full cognizance to the safety angle on Kia/Hyundai). I also see this repeatedly at my workplace with new launches/pricing strategies where everything is through the prism of how it's done in the HQ vs what's relevant for the market. I refuse to believe that with the right mix of pricing, offering and given our potential for high volumes, we aren't a market that is promising.
Though Kia is owned by Hyundai, with Carens pricing Alcazar is the one which is looking most over priced. And for that matter most of the Hyundai cars are priced high too.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 16:49   #223
BHPian

Great pricing guys, you have left me in big confuion. I have a Venue SX(O) brought in August 19. I was thinking of upgrading to a MUV after Venue completes it’s 4 years. But now with such attractive pricing of Carens, should I change my car 1 year earlier? I think if I wait for 2 more years, I will miss onto this attractive pricing.
Old 15th February 2022, 16:51   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dextor View Post
I also booked Carens Diesel AT (Luxury Plus).
Hi Can you please tell me what is the booking amount that is charged by Bangalore dealers and from which dealer did you book? And did they specify any realistic time before when the deliveries can start?

I am inclined towards Carens because i feel its the most VFM MPV out there today.
Old 15th February 2022, 16:58   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekkp View Post
Hi Can you please tell me what is the booking amount that is charged by Bangalore dealers and from which dealer did you book? And did they specify any realistic time before when the deliveries can start?

I am inclined towards Carens because i feel its the most VFM MPV out there today.
Booking amount is a set 25k. Timelines before launch were already at about 15 weeks.
swami is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed