Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2022, 19:44   #1021

Re: Kia Carens Review

Got delivery of 1.5 Petrol Prestige Carens in Silver colour on 26th. Will share initial impressions soon. Received Provisional RC today. Since I could not find anything regarding unladen/kerb weight of Carens here, thought to share. The unladen weight is shown as 1281 kg. The unladen weight of my Sonet GTX+ 1.0 on RC is 1130 kg. Given that the gross weight of Carens was mentioned as 1830 kg in the owner's manual, I was expecting the kerb weight to be around 1320-1340.
Semiconductorsh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2022, 19:14   #1022
BHPian

Hello everyone, glad to be part of team-bhp, this is my first post, I own 1.5 NA petrol carens and have noticed a peculiar thing.

Whenever I switch off the car and lock it, in my friend's carens there is a red light that starts blinking which is anti theft right at the end of the dash board near the windscreen, but in my car there is no blinking light when I lock it, has this feature been omitted from my batch of car.

Secondly the real time range of the car is not acceptable at all. I don't know if anyone has faced it but because of its FE being low in city drives, it doesn't run more than 340-350 kms and low fuel warning pops up. It doesn't take more than 33-34 litres of petrol before auto cut off.

Has anyone faced anything similar.
SakJel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 13:18   #1023
BHPian

I am unable to determine whether Carens is based on the K1 or K2 platform. I have come across conflicting information. Can someone shed some light on this? I have shortlisted an Alcazar*but will go for a Carens if both are K2 platform vehicles.
Old 11th June 2022, 15:10   #1024
BHPian

Guys, the car is about 2 months old, but the black plastic cladding has discolored quite a bit.

Anyone else facing this ? I know, I can go for any plastic dresser ( Turtle , or 3M dashboard dresser etc ) but is this for all ?

Is it manufacturing defect and needs to be replaced in warranty ?

Kia Carens Review-img_20220611_130810.jpg

Last edited by ptaneja : 11th June 2022 at 15:12.
ptaneja is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 15:33   #1025
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
Guys, the car is about 2 months old, but the black plastic cladding has discolored quite a bit.

Anyone else facing this ? I know, I can go for any plastic dresser ( Turtle , or 3M dashboard dresser etc ) but is this for all ?

Is it manufacturing defect and needs to be replaced in warranty ?

Attachment 2319265
I came back after servicing my Seltos today. While there, I saw 5 Carens which had come for service. 4 of them had their trims in various stages of fade. One particular car was 2 months old, had done 1400 kms only and always parked in shade (as explained by the owner). I noticed that the rear bumper and the side panels had faded similar to your car.

I would say this trim fading plagues all the cars (if I may say, all Kia cars). A little severe in case of Carens.

That said, the trim dressers applied on my car (either by me or by car wash centre or Kia service centre) keeps the trim in shape and lasts 3-4 months. This includes multiple washes or drives in rain during this time.

If and when I have to, I use Turtle Trim Restorer.

Last edited by ashis89 : 11th June 2022 at 15:36.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 15:43   #1026
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post

I would say this trim fading plagues all the cars (if I may say, all Kia cars). A little severe in case of Carens.

All plastics fade over time with exposure to sun (UV rays). To counter this, the manufacturers of the plastics granules add UV stabilisers into their formulation. This addition of UV stabilisers depends on the spec provided by the user, user being Kia here. Seems to a simple case of cost cutting, where Kia has used cladding plastic with no or inadequate UV stabilisers.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 19:59   #1027
BHPian

Quote:
Oh man! That's a high level of discoloration, not expected in new gen cars.
I am waiting for my Carens, and now I am worried it would look horrible on darker shades.
Old 11th June 2022, 20:06   #1028
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
Oh man! That's a high level of discoloration, not expected in new gen cars.
I am waiting for my Carens, and now I am worried it would look horrible on darker shades.
I mean it can be well managed using 3M Dashboard Trim or Turtle Plastic trim bottles, but the concern is the crappy stuff which is not expected in 15L + vehicle - and that to too so soon, when the car is not washed, not parked in sun.

Heck even my 7 years old Ciaz never got this much dull plastics.
ptaneja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 02:03   #1029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semiconductorsh View Post
Got delivery of 1.5 Petrol Prestige Carens in Silver colour on 26th. Will share initial impressions soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SakJel View Post
Hello everyone, glad to be part of team-bhp, this is my first post, I own 1.5 NA petrol carens and have noticed a peculiar thing.
Congrats to both of you on receiving delivery of your cars. Wish you both trouble free owbership.Do correct me if I am wrong but you guys seem to be the 1st on this forum to get hands on the 1.5NA prestige.

Eagerly awaiting to know your feedback on driving with full load... how did the 1.5 motor fare?

Also, could you pls share when you booked the vehicles? I booked mine on 23rd Feb and the waiting period has now increased to 80 odd weeks from the initial 56 weeks quoted.And finally what mileage are you obsrrving so far? Many thanks.
akannath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 22:03   #1030
BHPian

I have a question regarding TPMS. If I perform a tyre rotation, will TPMS read-out for each tyre automatically change position on the MID? Say, if I rotate my front left tyre to the rear, will the position where reading of that particular tyre is displayed on the MID be updated automatically or is a manual reset required? If so, how?

This is my first vehicle with TPMS out of the factory. Hence, the question. I could not find any details of this in the owner's manual as well. Any inputs?
Old 14th June 2022, 23:46   #1031
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akannath View Post
Congrats to both of you on receiving delivery of your cars. Wish you both trouble free owbership.Do correct me if I am wrong but you guys seem to be the 1st on this forum to get hands on the 1.5NA prestige.

Eagerly awaiting to know your feedback on driving with full load... how did the 1.5 motor fare?

Also, could you pls share when you booked the vehicles? I booked mine on 23rd Feb and the waiting period has now increased to 80 odd weeks from the initial 56 weeks quoted.And finally what mileage are you obsrrving so far? Many thanks.
Hello, I had booked my vehicle on the 15th feb and after lot of changes in the variant and colour finally hooked on to 1.5 NA petrol grey colour variant. I had to pull a few strings in the dealership to get an early dilevery and finally managed to get it in the 2nd week of March.

According to my observation, the initial pickup compared to 1.4 turbo, the NA fares much better in the 1st and 2nd gear as there is no turbo lag. Once in top gears the turbo engine is marginally better but not worth the price difference that the turbo one commands.

The car feels stressed out in full load which is the same case even in 1.4 turbo and best to be driven as a 4 seater with a fantastic handrest in the centre row. I get a FE of around 8-10 in the city and 11-14 on highways with always A/c on. It's definitely not an enthusiast's car and best to be chauffeur driven or to be driven with a light foot as there is no use of a heavy foot as there won't be much response and one will get a pathetic FE.

The 1.5 NA prestige was just an advertisement car I feel for kia and was priced in a manner to just create a hype and offer the car to compete in all segments i.e from 8.99L-16L. Seeing its success I fell even our good old Maruti got an opportunity to exorbitantly increase the prices of XL6 and people are going Gaga over it too. I still remember when we bought Ciaz 6 years back, it was one of the most expensive cars in Maruti stable only Scross costing more, now Ciaz prices are more or less the same if we compare variant and feature wise and brezza, ertiga and xl6 have become way more expensive. The input cost and inflation and all does make a lot of difference but I think it's how successful the model is makes even bigger impact as nowadays "LAMBI" cars are not in but "UNCHI" cars are. Take the classic price hike example of Innova. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Long story short it's an amazing VFM product but only the Prestige/prestige plus according to me as the higher variants enter the next segment cars like Xuv, safari, harrier, Innova etc, only comparing with price point and not feature list as Kia is a clear winner in that space. 1.5 NA or the diesel variant are clear winners and 1.4 turbo is just hyped according to me. Cheers........
SakJel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 07:55   #1032
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by furyrider View Post
I have a question regarding TPMS. If I perform a tyre rotation, will TPMS read-out for each tyre automatically change position on the MID? Say, if I rotate my front left tyre to the rear, will the position where reading of that particular tyre is displayed on the MID be updated automatically or is a manual reset required? If so, how?

This is my first vehicle with TPMS out of the factory. Hence, the question. I could not find any details of this in the owner's manual as well. Any inputs?
It will not.
I dont know what kind of TPMS system is installed on your tyres.
If it is the external cap types, then you would need to switch the caps to match the tyre position. Or you can change it on the app. (in case yours came in-built not sure if the media app lets you reconfigure this , might have to check with the service centre )

In my case I have installed an after market fitment TPMS system that is placed internally inside the tyre. So if I rotate the tyres then the app lets me drag and drop the new positions to match the actual tyre location. (Since I installed it separate, it is on my phone app. Of course using Android Auto it also appears on the car Media head unit).

btw I just happened to view this thread, I do not own a Carens , but have an XL6.

Last edited by Fillmore : 15th June 2022 at 07:58.
Old 15th June 2022, 11:02   #1033
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
It will not.
I dont know what kind of TPMS system is installed on your tyres.
If it is the external cap types, then you would need to switch the caps to match the tyre position. Or you can change it on the app. (in case yours came in-built not sure if the media app lets you reconfigure this , might have to check with the service centre )
Mine is a internal system that came pre-installed from the factory. I tried fiddling with the MID and did go through all the settings, but could not find any relevant settings for TPMS. May be I will post the same question in the Seltos thread (assuming Kia uses the same TPMS system across their stable) as well. Since the vehicle is in the market for a couple of years already, someone might have come across the same question.
Old 15th June 2022, 11:25   #1034
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semiconductorsh View Post
Got delivery of 1.5 Petrol Prestige Carens in Silver colour on 26th. Will share initial impressions soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SakJel View Post
Hello everyone, glad to be part of team-bhp, this is my first post, I own 1.5 NA petrol carens.
Hi SakJel and Semiconductorsh,

Congratulations on your new vehicle.

There is not many (infact none) reviews of this engine. Can you please throw some light on the following -

1. Performance of this 1.5 Petrol Vs Ertiga 1.5 P
2. I have driven 1.5 P Creta and that is butter smooth and no power lag (for me atleast). Is Carens similar ?
3. NVH as compared to Creta/Seltos and Ertiga/XL6 ?
4. Is this vehicle good enough for city as well as highway purpose ?

5. If you have driven 1.5D, can you compare it with 1.5P ? (reg point no 1 and 3).

Apologies in advance for so many questions.
noopster1008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 11:51   #1035
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster1008 View Post
Hi SakJel and Semiconductorsh,

Congratulations on your new vehicle.

There is not many (infact none) reviews of this engine. Can you please throw some light on the following -

1. Performance of this 1.5 Petrol Vs Ertiga 1.5 P
2. I have driven 1.5 P Creta and that is butter smooth and no power lag (for me atleast). Is Carens similar ?
3. NVH as compared to Creta/Seltos and Ertiga/XL6 ?
4. Is this vehicle good enough for city as well as highway purpose ?

5. If you have driven 1.5D, can you compare it with 1.5P ? (reg point no 1 and 3).

Apologies in advance for so many questions.
Hello, I haven't driven the latest ertiga or xl6 so can't comment, but if one is comparing with creta 1.5 NA it's more or less same if 1-2 people in the car.

Gear shifting is butter smooth and at idle it's almost soundless, feels like an EV , for city as well as highway it's very good though I have noticed a bit of body roll at high speed on highway, the best part about this car is it's neither too big nor too small, so good enough for both commutes. Diesel pulls better, has better FE but though how silent it is, one can feel more vibration, while driving feels like a heavier car compared to the petrol 1.5.

Cheers.........
SakJel is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks