Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2022, 13:27   #1066
BHPian

Re: Kia Carens Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sou_3749 View Post
These are the figures for 1.4 P prestige plus manual covered close to 5k kms.

100% city with heavy traffic and AC set at 23.5 and short trips of 2-5 kms ~ 9-10 kmpl

100% city with light traffic and AC set at 23.5 and short trips of 2-5 kms ~ 10-12 kmpl

100% city with light traffic and AC set at 23.5 and long trips of 10+ kms ~ 11-13 kmpl

100% highway with 6 people onboard and AC set at 22 speed around 90 kmph ~ 18-19kmpl

100% highway with 6 people onboard and AC set at 22 speed more than 100 kmph ~ 15-17 kmpl

The moment you floor the pedal and get some fun out of the motor by keeping the rpm above 2500, get ready to see single digit FE.
Super, thanks for this wealth of info.
Our driving style is sedate so perhaps not an issue. However, I am worried about long terms maintenace of turbo engines and costs involved. The vehicle is primarily for use by parents, so would prefer a hassle free ownership. Have a current booking for 1.5NA Prestige which is probably due in Feb, 23; hence contemplating switching to 1.4Turbo Petrol but this will cost an extra 2L on road though.
Old 23rd June 2022, 13:32   #1067
BHPian

Guys, we wanted to escalate the condensation issue to Kia as there has not been any update.
Even June manufactured cars are still having the issue and many dealers are pretneding to be unaware of the issue.

Can you guys please share any email ID of Kia top officials (AGM or GM), whom we can send mail to?
Old 23rd June 2022, 13:34   #1068
Distinguished - BHPian

Kia Carens scores 3-star Global NCAP safety rating.

The Carens' base model was on test, which comes fully-loaded with all safety features, including six airbags and ESC.
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 13:45   #1069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

The Carens' base model was on test, which comes fully-loaded with all safety features, including six airbags and ESC.
And there I was hoping for an improvement from the Seltos saga and a 4*.
Any idea if it fared any better than the Seltos which if I am correct also scored a 3?
Old 23rd June 2022, 13:47   #1070
Senior - BHPian

Post the Crash Test of Kia Carens,

Who would buy one now ?

I never thought Kia cars would end up like this. Thank God, I don't own one and will not even look at one post the poor performance of Seltos and now Carens. If Tata had criticism for Poor Quality, Kia will take top ranks for Poor Safety. I do agree that 3 star is better than 0 star, but for all the hype and premium pricing, Kia should have scored well.

No offence to existing and prospective owners, but there is now way i would suggest this car for it's asking price.

Kia, you're gaining market share by equipping cars with segment first features as compromising on safety. Learn a thing or two from Indian Manufacturers (Tata & Mahindra) who have come up so well over last 5 years with Top Safe Cars.

Your honeymoon period will end soon. Be prepared for the consequence.

Period.
CarguyNish is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 13:48   #1071

Kia Carens scored 3 stars for adult occupant protection and 3 stars for child occupant protection.

The made in India Carens was tested in its most basic safety specification, fitted with two frontal airbags, two side body airbags and two side head protection airbags. ESC is also a standard fit in this specification. The Carens was also side impact tested and fulfilled the UN95 regulatory requirement.

During the assessment the Carens demonstrated an unstable structure, marginal protection to the driver's chest and weak protection to the driver's feet. Global NCAP noted that the model is still sold with a lap belt in the rear central seating position instead of a three point seatbelt.

Source: Global NCAP YouTube
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Kia-Carens-2022-fact-sheet.pdf (541.8 KB, 352 views)
Old 23rd June 2022, 13:52   #1072

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...-rating-424887
techprovijay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 14:00   #1073
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post

Who would buy one now ?

I never thought Kia cars would end up like this. Thank God, I don't own one and will not even look at one post the poor performance of Seltos and now Carens. If Tata had criticism for Poor Quality, Kia will take top ranks for Poor Safety. I do agree that 3 star is better than 0 star, but for all the hype and premium pricing, Kia should have scored well.

No offence to existing and prospective owners, but there is now way i would suggest this car for it's asking price.

Kia, you're gaining market share by equipping cars with segment first features as compromising on safety. Learn a thing or two from Indian Manufacturers (Tata & Mahindra) who have come up so well over last 5 years with Top Safe Cars.

Your honeymoon period will end soon. Be prepared for the consequence.

Period.
Although I would largely agree with the sentiment expressed, Carens still stands out for me. Can you name one 7 seater MPV in the Indian market today that offers a very useable 3rd row, plus decent equipment right form base model, 6 airbags and a plethora of safety kit as standard across all variants and with a better than 3* rating? Factor in the asking price for Prestige 1.5NA which is 10.69L ex-showroom and it is still a huge VFM proposition in my view.

If I am not mistaken, the only other player is Ertiga which too scored a 3* and offers lot less equipment and quality interiors.

The VFM argument goes out of the window the moment you step into higher Prestige Plus and Luxury variants though.
akannath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 14:03   #1074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Kia must be wondering if they really needed to add the standard 6 airbags since they anyway ended with a poor rating! I mean, wasn’t a better safety rating the primary objective of adding so many safety features such as 6 airbags as standard in the Carens? I wouldn’t be surprised if Kia starts deleting features from some base variants hereon!
Kia and Hyundai have to seriously start looking at why their cars have been all classified as “unstable structure” when cheaper cars from Tata have been able to fare better!
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 14:32   #1075
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post

Who would buy one now ?

Period.
Who will buy? Thousands upon thousands of Indian families. Does John Doe buyer care about safety? I dont think so, and Kia has rightly figured it out.
Old 23rd June 2022, 14:41   #1076
BHPian

Honestly the manner in which the A pillar and roof crumbled in frontal impact test, KIA should thank their stars to have received a modest 3 star rating!

I have seen 2 star rated cars such as MS Swift perform much better(visually) in the front crash test, with both the A pillars and roof being intact.

Guess the standard safety equipment such as 6 airbags, ESP etc played a role in elevating the crash rating to a 3 star. Without them, this is at best a low 2 star rating car.

Poor showing by KIA yet again!
vagman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 15:42   #1077
BHPian

Quote:
Oh man! This had to come on the same day when I received the call that my car is allotted.

Now I am seriously reconsidering my decision of going ahead with Carens. At the back of my mind, the fear of DCT, Turbo engine, condensation issues were already playing. And now the safety rating, which I was hoping to be 4-stars.

I will most probably check what ScorpioN offers on 27th June and take a call accordingly.
Old 23rd June 2022, 15:50   #1078
BHPian

Kia is fast becoming like a cool, new age version of Maruti Suzuki

Differences : Kia brings in more contemporary designs and packs in lots of new features in its cars vs. Maruti. More in-tune with the customer's evolving aspirations

Similarities : Like Maruti, offers value, has lots of high selling models, enjoys commercial success but has very low regard for safety
RoadTiger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 15:53   #1079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techprovijay View Post
Key sections here:

Alejandro Furas, secretary general of Global NCAP, said, “We expected a better performance from this model. It remains a cause for concern that global car brands such as Kia, that normally achieve 5-star ratings in other markets, are still not reaching this level in India.”[

This is of particular concern and shows the step-motherly treatment meted out to India by Hyundai/Kia despite raking in the moolahs.

Importantly though, the Carens has improved on its overall score in comparison to the Seltos. The Carens has 9.30 points in adult occupant protection as opposed to the Seltos’ 8.03 points. Meanwhile, in child occupant protection, the Carens is significantly better with 3-stars and 30.99 points as opposed to Seltos’ mere 2 stars and 15 points.

Last edited by Sheel : 23rd June 2022 at 16:02. Reason: Removing unnecessarily bold fonts. Thanks.
Old 23rd June 2022, 16:01   #1080
BHPian

Quote:

Another day another crash test and another unsafe car.

I would rather increase my budget, take a loan, increase loan tenure, cut other expenses but never in my life compromise with life of my loved ones with such unsafe cars. I understand that people buy such cars till GNCAP results are not out but how on earth such people exist who voluntarily put life of their loved ones in danger once crash results are out. Have people become so money minded or blinge minded that family, relationships and value of life don't mean anything in this world today. Do they forget the promises of protecting their loved ones when they marry or each birthday when they wish long life for loved ones and then move them in such unsafe cars. How on earth can people compromise on life for everything else. Has value of life become so cheap.

On professional front, I have stopped delegating critical assignments to my juniors who voluntarily buy such unsafe cars even after crash results are out because a person who can't value life of loved ones how can he/she be dependable for a critical assignment.
steadfast is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed