Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2022, 11:29   #241
BHPian

Re: Skoda Slavia Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedXPro95 View Post
I got my Slavia in Tafe HSR on 18th March. It's a Style 1.0 TSI MT variant.

I went with red colour, mostly because I was late at booking but wanted the car as soon as possible, and red was one among the lowest booked. Blue and black topped this list.
Once delivered, red felt like a dream, it's enough sporty and enough elegant as well.

Still getting used to the stalk control differences vs other Indian cars, the gearbox feels good, apart from 1st gear being a bit notching. Slow stopping in traffic wobbles the suspension a bit.

r.
The red colour looks great

Congratulations to you.

Bdw, Could you please shed some light on the slow stopping and wobble part?
Old 26th March 2022, 12:05   #242

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoyal1996 View Post
The red colour looks great

Congratulations to you.

Bdw, Could you please shed some light on the slow stopping and wobble part?
I used to drive my dad's seltos, and it having really firm suspension I was used to it's stuff riding composure. With Slavia I feel the rear suspension is maybe a bit too soft or maybe the dampers aren't fully active at slow speeds (I'm not a expert in mech stuff in any sense, this is just my understanding). But when the traffic is really slow moving, and you bring the car to a gradual stop, it feels like the rear overhang is sort of bouncing due to the braking impact.

Maybe this is something with all sedans, I've heard that the 5th Gen city is even softer. But my comparison is related to Seltos, which is really stiff.
ZedXPro95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2022, 16:47   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelex View Post
Took delivery of my white 1.0 style AT on Monday. Haven't had too much time to spend with it. Will hopefully take it for a spin on Sunday and post some thoughts.
So I went for a drive and here are some initial impressions from me.

1. The drive quality is wonderful. For the last 12 years or so I have only driven diesel cars. Petrol engines feel good in a very different way. The acceleration is smooth and uniform.
2. The feel and comfort of the cabin is very good. It is well lit and does not feel dingy/ congested.
3. The looks are really good. Better than the 5th gen city. Blue and red are probably the best looking colors but do not suit my age and personality, hence settled for white. Silver was another consideration for me but I got the white one early. Apparently, silver is the least in demand.
4. There is a lurch/ amble as soon as you put the car in drive mode before you press on the A paddle. It is a bit too pronounced for me and if taking/ maneuvering the car out from a narrow parking place, it can cause a sudden, unintended movement that can cause problems. I hope this can be sorted/ tuned during a visit to the service station.
5. At very slow speeds, if you apply the brakes, the car comes to a halt with a sudden jerk.
6. For the life of me, I can not understand how to answer calls from the steering-mounted controls. I use wireless android auto and to answer the calls, I have to use the touch screen. I will probably have to
7. Similarly, there is no option to scroll the menus using steering-mounted controls.
8. The lever to adjust seat height is pretty stiff. The one on rapid was much softer and felt refined.
9. One touch up and down on windows is sorely missed. So is the option to open and close windows from the remote.
10. Wireless charging isn't too good. It does not let the battery drain. But it doesn't actually charge. Maybe I will check once without the back cover on.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Slavia Review-20220327_152505.jpg  

Skoda Slavia Review-20220327_161053.jpg  

Skoda Slavia Review-20220327_161214.jpg  

Skoda Slavia Review-20220327_132547.jpg  

travelex is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 27th March 2022, 17:15   #244
BHPian

Quote:

6. For the life of me, I can not understand how to answer calls from the steering-mounted controls. I use wireless android auto and to answer the calls, I have to use the touch screen. I will probably have to
7. Similarly, there is no option to scroll the menus using steering-mounted controls.
Are you able to scroll the menus on the "virtual cockpit" MID? I'm not sure about this, but see if those scrollable things (rotating knob) on the steering wheel can be pressed, try pressing the left or right one when you receive a call to answer it, just a wild guess.

Congratulations and the white color looks good too. I booked the Slavia but ended up cancelling it after seeing the Virtus, now I hope VW doesnt stiffen the suspension on the GT line and keep it as it is like the Slavia 1.5

Last edited by sreejinair : 27th March 2022 at 17:17.
sreejinair is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th March 2022, 22:03   #245
sbm
BHPian

Hey guys! Asking for a friend, is there a price hike imminent for the Slavia from 1st of April. The dealer is pushing my friend to make full payment before 31st march to get the current price. I am thinking that the dealer is just trying to meet his quota for this FY or is there really going to be a price hike?
Old 27th March 2022, 22:41   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So I went for a drive and here are some initial impressions from me.
Any comments on how the AC performance is and what sort of outside temperatures did you drive in? The car looks great and is giving me an opportunity to set my expectations when I receive mine. However I am surprised that you seem to have got Goodyear tyres instead of the Ceat Secura Drives I found on the cars in the dealership. Did you swap them or was it what you received with the car?

I am not so confident on Ceat tyres having to deal with the sort of handling or braking I expect from this car. Hence I had planned to switch to Conti UC6 after delivery.
Old 27th March 2022, 23:20   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm View Post
Hey guys! Asking for a friend, is there a price hike imminent for the Slavia from 1st of April. The dealer is pushing my friend to make full payment before 31st march to get the current price. I am thinking that the dealer is just trying to meet his quota for this FY or is there really going to be a price hike?
Price hike or not, but please inform your friend to NOT make a full payment until he has seen the car!
nitkel is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 06:41   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Any comments on how the AC performance is and what sort of outside temperatures did you drive in? The car looks great and is giving me an opportunity to set my expectations when I receive mine. However I am surprised that you seem to have got Goodyear tyres instead of the Ceat Secura Drives I found on the cars in the dealership. Did you swap them or was it what you received with the car?

I am not so confident on Ceat tyres having to deal with the sort of handling or braking I expect from this car. Hence I had planned to switch to Conti UC6 after delivery.
Ac performance is good. Temperatures were around 32-35 degrees. The central vents have been made too small though. I was always under the impression that Goodyear were the stock tyres on Slavia. In most videos on youtube that was the case. Even in the first post of this thread, it says Goodyear. I was not aware that Ceat was an option for some.
travelex is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 09:21   #249
BHPian

Quote:
10. Wireless charging isn't too good. It does not let the battery drain. But it doesn't actually charge. Maybe I will check once without the back cover on.
Congratulations on buying the Slavia. It looks really good in white. I have booked a red 1.0 style which will be getting delivered in mid April.

On the wireless charging front, in my 2nd test drive of the car, my wife and I both tried to charge our devices with and without the back cover but no luck anytime. The SA was very confident about not having to remove the back cover and the devices should charge as is and later on she informed that it might be a device issue (FFS!) FYI - my wife iPhone 13 mini and I am using a one plus 7 pro. Do let me know if you're able to crack this mystery 🙂
rahil_29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 11:44   #250
BHPian

Hi all,

We did a back to back test drive of Slavia 1.0 L TSI MT and Honda City ZX MT here in Bombay and below are my observations.

To give a background I drive a 2012 WagonR VXI at 66000 on the ODO and we are looking for an upgrade as the car will complete 10 years in a few months and Maruti service is no longer cheap and part quality seems deteriorating every passing year.

Options we have shortlisted are :

1. Skoda Slavia 1.0 L TSI MT
2. Skoda Kushaq 1.0 L TSI MT
3. Honda City ZX MT
4. Tata Nexon XZ+(P)

The Skoda twins though they seem very well put together and have a great design, there are definitely some areas that seem improvement.
1. The roof liner on Kushaq seemed ordinary and flexed with a small finger push.
2. The dashboard is all hard plastic which I feel might not age well and is prone to scratches.
3. Pricing : Slavia 1.0 L TSI MT is priced at 16 L in Bombay which puts it straight in Honda city ZX MT category which at same price range gives you a large 1.5 L engine with a trusted gearbox combo. Kushaq is even more atrociously priced at almost 17.5 L in Bombay for 1.0 L TSI MT, this is something which I fail to understand very badly. Kushaq if compared for size and internal seating space is in same league as the Nexon but is priced in the Creta / Seltos category !!!
4. Skoda ASS ???

Honda City ZX MT has a smooth drive and reliable and proven engine + gearbox combo. The City has a mediocre infotainment system as compared to the Skoda twins but this will not be a deal breaker as I am not an audiophile. The drive from city though not exhilarating but has a nice linear pull to it.

Tata Nexon at the moment seems like the jack of all trades and super VFM at just 13.5 L on road price but I am concerned about TATA ASS and quality of parts used.

I need to take a call this week and the family is more leaning towards the city, I am looking out for any help/guidance which could help me decide and seal the deal.

Regards
Dieseltuned
Dieseltuned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 13:15   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
Are you able to scroll the menus on the "virtual cockpit" MID? I'm not sure about this, but see if those scrollable things (rotating knob) on the steering wheel can be pressed, try pressing the left or right one when you receive a call to answer it, just a wild guess.

Congratulations and the white color looks good too. I booked the Slavia but ended up cancelling it after seeing the Virtus, now I hope VW doesnt stiffen the suspension on the GT line and keep it as it is like the Slavia 1.5
The one on the right worked which was supposed to control the cockpit only. Thanks for the idea.
travelex is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 13:29   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post

I need to take a call this week and the family is more leaning towards the city, I am looking out for any help/guidance which could help me decide and seal the deal.
Since you have driven all these cars and experienced them first hand, only you can take a right decision based on your priorities.

Personally I would go for Slavia for more involving to drive, and do not like the high speed manners of City which is one of my main requirements.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 17:36   #253
BHPian

Quote:

2. The dashboard is all hard plastic which I feel might not age well and is prone to scratches.

Dieseltuned
Not necessarily. I have a 7+ year alto with no scratches or rattles in the dashboard. Personally, I feel the poor quality soft touch materials fade/crack/wear out faster than hard plastics.

Quote:
3. Pricing : Slavia 1.0 L TSI MT is priced at 16 L in Bombay which puts it straight in Honda city ZX MT category which at same price range gives you a large 1.5 L engine with a trusted gearbox combo.
Dieseltuned
One is a NA engine while the other is turbocharged - they fall in the same bracket for power output figures and price range. However, I agree that the 1.5NA + CVT will be a more durable and reliable engine any day.

Quote:
Kushaq if compared for size and internal seating space is in same league as the Nexon but is priced in the Creta / Seltos category !!!
Dieseltuned
In terms of outwards dimension, the Kushaq is slightly smaller than Creta/Seltos (~80mm in length, 30-40 mm in height and width, if memory serves) - but you cannot compare it to Nexon, a sub 4m car, either in terms of dimension or price. A sub 4m car enjoys significant tax benefits and will cost less.

In terms of inside space, Kushaq has better knee room than the Creta/Seltos + more usable boot space (ignore the brochure numbers). That said, none of Kushaq, Creta, Seltos or even the Salvia are 3 seaters at the back - Create/Seltos are slightly better than Skoda though because of the seat layout. If you want to seat 3 people at the back, go with the City.

Quote:
The drive from city though not exhilarating but has a nice linear pull to it.
Dieseltuned
Its clear you are rooting for the City. Go with it
ACe_10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 18:24   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Since you have driven all these cars and experienced them first hand, only you can take a right decision based on your priorities.

Personally I would go for Slavia for more involving to drive, and do not like the high speed manners of City which is one of my main requirements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACe_10 View Post
If you want to seat 3 people at the back, go with the City.

Its clear you are rooting for the City. Go with it
Hello both,

Thank you for your kind replies, you have made very valid points.

I have asked for a longish test drive from the dealer for the Honda City on Thursday and will keep you updated on how things stand. My requirement is to carry 5 people in good comfort with a decent drivable engine. I have read a lot of people talking about high speed manners of the City and would like to drive and get first hand experience.

Is there any other car that I can consider which could serve my purpose of 5 seater and good drivability irrespective of segment it falls in ? My budget is max 15-16 Lakhs.

Regards
Dieseltuned
Old 28th March 2022, 19:04   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Is there any other car that I can consider which could serve my purpose of 5 seater and good drivability irrespective of segment it falls in ? My budget is max 15-16 Lakhs.
Given the budget and preferences, I think you are spot on with the shortlists. If you are not a very spirited driver (say you dont drive much above the second high speed chimes), I would suggest stick with City. Its spacious, feels premium for the segment and more tried and tested. I feel both Slavia and City are VFM and more practical compared to the CSUVs.
Let us know what you decide
sunikkat is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks