Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2022, 20:36   #436
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Skoda Slavia Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
It's not a question of 19C being different for different manufacturers.

In an ACC system, the 'demanded load' from the AC compressor is in proportion to the delta between the current cabin temp and the demanded temp (try setting 16C in your ACC v/s try setting 22C in your ACC when the outside temp is 27C, the ramp up in cooling will be higher if you set it to 16C).

On certain peak summer days, when driving in daytime, if the outside temp is 37C, and if you want 22C in your cabin, you have two options -
(a) to set 16C
(b) to set 22C.

The heat and the added greenhouse effect maybe such that this compressor can never achieve a target temp of 22C , and the equilibrium point where the efforts of the compressor and blower plateaus off, will probably be 25C or so. But in case (a), you will see that the compressor will run full tilt all the time, whilst in case (b), the compressor would be backed-off as the cabin nears 25C, because the aggression needed to achieve 22C from 25C is nowhere near the aggression needed to achieve 16C from 25C (both aggressions will never achieve their goal, but atleast the effort in case (a) will be stronger).
I am not at all disputing your explanation of how the AC and thermostat work.

I was questioning how does the working differ between European and Japanese car manufacturer for a car built in India as mentioned by the SA to the OP. For all you know, the AC vendor for both the cars could be the same.
Old 17th May 2022, 20:40   #437
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
I am not at all disputing your explanation of how the AC and thermostat work.

I was questioning how does the working differ between European and Japanese car manufacturer for a car built in India as mentioned by the SA to the OP. For all you know, the AC vendor for both the cars could be the same.
That's exactly the reason for my post - an EU manufacturer may base his compressor size according to max ambient temp of 35C or so, whilst an Indian manufacturer may base his compressor size according to a max ambient temp of 50C or so. Trying to achieve 19C when outside temp is 30C, maybe easy for the Indian specced compressor than the EU specced compressor.
venkyhere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 21:23   #438
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
That's exactly the reason for my post - an EU manufacturer may base his compressor size according to max ambient temp of 35C or so, whilst an Indian manufacturer may base his compressor size according to a max ambient temp of 50C or so. Trying to achieve 19C when outside temp is 30C, maybe easy for the Indian specced compressor than the EU specced compressor.
In that case, safe to assume they have put in an underpowered compressor? when they want to position the car as a premium one, this kind of cost cutting is not done!
Old 18th May 2022, 09:21   #439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
No calls nothing till last week when I started getting calls again but it is too late now for Skoda as I have already taken delivery of my Honda City.
I had a similar experience with Arya Honda when I wanted a TD of the Jazz.

No calls/TD for more than 3 months by which time I had already taken delivery of my Sonet.

Looks like all dealers have similar attitude.
Old 18th May 2022, 09:50   #440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpagedar View Post
I had a similar experience with Arya Honda when I wanted a TD of the Jazz.

No calls/TD for more than 3 months by which time I had already taken delivery of my Sonet.

Looks like all dealers have similar attitude.
I had the same experience with Kia for the seltos. Skoda, VW, Jeep and Tata were absolutely wonderful to deal with, and let me have multiple test drives in varying conditions.
Old 18th May 2022, 10:01   #441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid3091 View Post
I had the same experience with Kia for the seltos. Skoda, VW, Jeep and Tata were absolutely wonderful to deal with, and let me have multiple test drives in varying conditions.
Looks like the individual’s experience depends on the dealer and the proactive nature of the SA.

It is purely a seller’s market.

When I purchased my Honda city in 2013 I had TDed both Honda and the Vento. Both followed up aggressively to make a sell.

I had a totally different experience last year when I purchased the Sonet. Neither Honda nor Hyundai followed up at all.
Old 18th May 2022, 11:34   #442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridehard View Post
It's a known issue with 1.0 Slavia, Kushaq and the Taigun. I remember reading somewhere that Skoda(Zac) acknowledged the issue, and their tech teams are working out a solution.
Weirdly 1.5 doesn't suffer from the same, not sure what's different.
This is a bummer! I have booked the 1.0 Slavia and even before getting my hands on the car, there is a known issue that I am going to have to deal with
Old 18th May 2022, 12:58   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridehard View Post
It's a known issue with 1.0 Slavia, Kushaq and the Taigun. I remember reading somewhere that Skoda(Zac) acknowledged the issue, and their tech teams are working out a solution.
Weirdly 1.5 doesn't suffer from the same, not sure what's different.
Yes, I have a Taigun, and the VW guys admitted that the AC on 1.0 has a problem. There is a whole thread going on it.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ditioning.html (Volkswagen Taigun : Ineffective air-conditioning)
Old 18th May 2022, 15:59   #444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adigup View Post
Yes, I have a Taigun, and the VW guys admitted that the AC on 1.0 has a problem. There is a whole thread going on it.
Seems surprising that inspite of selling products in India for so many years VAG has not yet got the AC right!

Just returned to Mumbai after a 2 week trip to the north. Traveled in a 2012 Honda city.

The AC was just amazing. Even with outside temperatures of about 42 deg we were very comfortable inside. Yes, sometimes the blower has to be kept on level 4 which made a din but at least we were comfortable which is what was important.

Went to the Volkswagen showroom today to check out the Virtus and was quite impressed. Will be checking out the Slavia too. But with AC issue need to re-think.
gpagedar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 22:32   #445
BHPian

I took test drive of 1.5 DSG on Sunday. Coming from Honda Jazz and City, i liked a lot of things. Major downer was the AC. It was set at 17 and still my wife at the back seat complaint of sweating. Sales advisor blamed it on the high Delhi NCR temperature but I am not buying it one bit. Test drive was in the evening and even my Santro CNG performed better. Asked Slavia owner who had his car parked outside the showroom and he said he didn't see find any issues with AC. May be it's just me who is expecting more.
sunnsood is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 22:52   #446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnsood View Post
. Major downer was the AC. It was set at 17 and still my wife at the back seat complaint of sweating. Sales advisor blamed it on the high Delhi NCR temperature but I am not buying it one bit.
Please try another car just to rule out any doubts. However, the cooling performance in VAG cars will be no match to the Hondas, Marutis and Hyundais of this world. It takes quite a lot of time to cool in comparison which I can certainly confirm having a VW and Hyundai at home.
Old 19th May 2022, 00:35   #447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Please try another car just to rule out any doubts. However, the cooling performance in VAG cars will be no match to the Hondas, Marutis and Hyundais of this world. It takes quite a lot of time to cool in comparison which I can certainly confirm having a VW and Hyundai at home.
I am more so surprised as the AC performance was below par a CNG car of 1 liter engine. I agree that there are so many elements here it's difficult to pin point what could be causing this.

I will try this at Delhi showroom on the coming weekend on another Slavia and also on Volkswagen Virtus to see if there is a difference.

Apart from this, i liked everything about the car and if this ac is resolved, I will book it.
Old 19th May 2022, 07:09   #448
Distinguished - BHPian

Certainly seems to have an excellent experience at Autocar:
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-rev...s-badge-424466
itwasntme is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 07:36   #449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Certainly seems to have an excellent experience at Autocar:
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-rev...s-badge-424466
I guess this sort of puts to rest the complaints that the Slavia is less sporty than the Rapid. What surprised me is that the corner speeds of the Slavia is higher than that of the Octavia 1.8 TSI. Unbelievable that it's overall faster than the Octavia 1.8 TSI.

Let's not forget that this is some jacked up sedan which has been designed to tackle lunar surfaces or roads as our authorities call it.

Last edited by Turbohead : 19th May 2022 at 07:38.
Turbohead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 07:51   #450
Team-BHP Support

Sujai (Crazy_Driver) and I had a heck of a time driving the Taigun 1.5 TSI during the media drive. The Slavia/Virtus with this engine would be a riot! I just hope Skoda and VW irons out the inadequate AC issues which seem to be plaguing a lot of owners.
Gannu_1 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks