Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2022, 09:43   #511
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Slavia Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
From the above pictures the 8 inch unit actually looks better than the current one. And if it is used in other models too and has the quality, I do not see an issue. Price increase, if rumours are true, is a different issue though.
But what Skoda should have done is, communicate these changes well to win the confidence of customers. Now the news has come out like it’s replaced with a low quality, which might not be true. Leaving the messaging part to those dealers has only led to negative marketing.
Agree totally.

Given that the Panasonic head unit will still go through Skoda's OEM checks, the quality per se may not deteriorate but the overall experience is very likely to go down few notches. Specially folks who are shelling out top dollar for the DSG variant.
This coupled with the fact that there is an impending price increase and the lack of proper communication for events such as Kodiaq getting sold out + Kushaq's EPC blunders, makes one wonder if Skoda has learnt its lessons for proactive customer communication.
JoshMachine is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 09:58   #512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
Given that the Panasonic head unit will still go through Skoda's OEM checks
If it is really the system from the Fabia it's possible it could be even better integrated. The VW Play system on the pre-update Slavia is nice, but it's developed for emerging markets and has some differences including all-touch controls and 'localisation' (read spelling errors). The Fabia's system has the old VW fashion of buttons on the side.

As long as they don't blunder like they did with the Rapid 1.0TSI's infotainment I think it should be okay, maybe even a good thing in some ways.
ron178 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 10:06   #513
BHPian

This HU will be the one already doing duties on the Fabia (in Europe) and Rapid (in Russia). This can be seen on their website as well. In the interior 360 degree image rendering while they seem to have shown a 10" unit (with no buttons), the specs and the brochure clearly show this 8" inch unit (aka Bolero) with buttons. IMHO it looks okay and I am sure they would not have compromised on UI and audio quality. I think we should wait and see.
Attached Images

anuragbagur is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 10:37   #514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
If someone wants to buy a car based on how good infotainment is, understand the intention to cancel. I personally would have been ok with slightly inferior HU if rest of the car keeps me happy. However in Slavia's case, there is now 50K price hike too
I guess it is more about the behaviour from Skoda rather than about the ICE.

I took my kid to a fruit shop and the shopkeeper showed a fresh green apple that she loved at first sight. While packing he told he'll take a bite and then only give it to her.

The thought of having a whole fresh green apple pictured in her little mind now gave way to what!?

In Slavia's case, that bite may cost the kid more too!
rejeen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 10:45   #515
BHPian

I would have wished Skoda/VW to work on the AC issues along with feature deletions and price rise. The problem for me is that Skoda is interested to solve its own issues while they are not at all interested to solve issues faced by customer. I booked Taigun then cancelled the booking after reading about AC issues.
gopalnt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 10:47   #516
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejeen View Post
In Slavia's case, that bite may cost the kid more too!
Normally I'd agree with the customer here BUT these are extraordinary times. Even premium brands like BMW have behaved in an unthinkable manner by removing 360 degree cameras, wireless AA & ACP, keyless access and are threatening more reductions.

No automotive 'shopkeeper' has any real control over their supply chains any more. Tough for everyone especially customers, but this is the reality today, and expected to last till 2024 as per the experts.

Rest assured, if this is indeed the EU Fabia's HU, it will be even better than any Slavia unit.

Last edited by itwasntme : 24th May 2022 at 10:52.
itwasntme is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 10:54   #517
Team-BHP Support

I was furious when they said Panasonic 8 inch unit and assumed that the unit is some cheap aftermarket unit like they did for Rapid in the past and what Ford did for EcoSport with the Fly audio and subsequent non SYNC system.

Going by recent updates the system looks to be the international spec version which has the same UI and features and adds physical buttons which I believe are more valuable than the 2 inches smaller screen.

Yes the 8 inch screen will not feel as fancy but for all practical purposes should have the same usability and infact more with the physical buttons.

On my Kodiaq, I have the smaller 9 inch system with the physical buttons and volume vs the newer version with no buttons on it and I can tell you I appreciate the buttons more than the screen real estate.

The only bummer is the price hike. They really shouldn't be jacking up prices without price protection and when they are already have backlog and aren't able to make enough cars. Why leave a sour taste in the minds of customers who are excited and waiting for their cars.
Vid6639 is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 10:56   #518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Normally I'd agree with the customer here BUT these are extraordinary times.

No automotive 'shopkeeper' has any real control over their supply chains any more..
I completely agree with you about the challenging times automakers are going through - in general.

What I have a problem with is the inventory projection and management for a brand new product from a global brand.

Surprising that they had no proper inventory projections for 6 months and/or for a decent number of completed products, but still went ahead and launched in all glory and then blame semiconductor shortage as if it just appeared in the horizon.
rejeen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 11:00   #519
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejeen View Post
Surprising that they had no proper inventory projections for 6 months and/or for a decent number of completed products, but still went ahead and launched in all glory and then blame semiconductor shortage as if it just appeared in the horizon.
Could be linked to the lower margin Made-for-India products being used in the VAG twins. Globally, not just OEMs but their suppliers are restricting production of lower margin components even with the risk of breaching committed contracts to established customers.

Everyone is hoping your kid will quickly move from the Kashmiri green apple to the Gala/Fuji one at 10x
itwasntme is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 11:23   #520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Normally I'd agree with the customer here BUT these are extraordinary times. Even premium brands like BMW have behaved in an unthinkable manner by removing 360 degree cameras, wireless AA & ACP, keyless access and are threatening more reductions.

No automotive 'shopkeeper' has any real control over their supply chains any more. Tough for everyone especially customers, but this is the reality today, and expected to last till 2024 as per the experts.

Rest assured, if this is indeed the EU Fabia's HU, it will be even better than any Slavia unit.
I find it difficult to buy into this semiconductor shortage cries by Skoda. It's a barely 1-month-old product with deliveries just commenced - how many units have Skoda sold/delivered in a month for them to run out of HU stock? It is either a grossly incompetent supply chain planning or, as I said initially, they are simply taking customers for granted.
aniket13 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 11:31   #521
Senior - BHPian

It seems the reference to Panasonic had a detrimental effect, Skoda should have just mentioned the display size and left it at that

On a different note, it is worrisome that with so much impact on the assembly line, warranty replacements of infotainment screens (God forbid) would be hard to come by
GeeTee TSI is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 12:30   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsi_niks1989 View Post
So the system being replaced is the one being used in Fabia and other Skoda cars outside. The one shared on this forum might be the correct one, Zac Hollis confirmed:
This is the utter failure of the company and proves it incompetence's nothing else, didn't they plan this while launching the car that they would sell x number of car and need x number of semiconductor chips!! What happened to planning and all?
Sach_511 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 13:12   #523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilwearsprada View Post
That's just not true at all. Between me and my friends we have 4 DQ200 cars, mix of diesel and petrol from MY2015 to MY2021, all of them have had a DSG/Mechatronic Replacement.
Hello,

I will be a Taigun GT Plus owner in a week's time. I have made the choice to go ahead with the DQ200 after measuring my risk appetite, current circumstances and other vehicle choices available. I had a query and would appreciate your response.

Can I get more details on the MY2021 vehicle that had a DQ200/Mechatronics failure in your post? That probably would be a low run vehicle and something that we should be aware of.

Thanks in advance.
Tanu3000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 13:19   #524
Distinguished - BHPian

The way I see this funny decision of smaller head unit -
  1. For head units that integrate a lot of BCM / functional controls into them - replacing it suddenly is not possible. A design, development & testing phase of a significant duration is a must. So - while these guys may blame it on semiconductors - this was most likely a decision made long ago. The cars were launched with more impressive (given thats what the customers want right now) touch-screens, with the plan to downsize them immediately after bookings started. Sad.
  2. Its indeed remarkable that the 10" HU needs semiconductors and the 8" HU that also seems quite nicely finished and modern - runs on vacuum tubes. No semiconductors needed! Probably sourcing the costly vacuum tubes is what has bumped the price up.
Reinhard is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 13:27   #525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
So - while these guys may blame it on semiconductors - this was most likely a decision made long ago.
The Slavia shares a lot with the Fabia so I don't think it would take much reengineering retrofit the new system. As Hollis said, they've already been using the system for some time in Europe.

Your theory however reminds me of an interesting detail - the preproduction interior sketches of the Slavia clearly show the Fabia's system. It's possible they reused Fabia sketches but the infotainment system is an important detail I don't see how they missed.

Skoda Slavia Review-www.teambhp.com.jpeg

But IMO it doesn't make much sense that they would plan this in advance because that would involve spending resources developing the lower-cost VW Play system (previous one on the Slavia) exclusively for India and Latin America, only to go back to an existing system soon after.

Last edited by ron178 : 24th May 2022 at 13:51. Reason: punctuation
ron178 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed