Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2022, 07:58   #646
BHPian

Re: Skoda Slavia Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vihangm3 View Post
The new infotainment cars have started arriving dealerships.
I think the physical buttons on the infotainment system are practical.

There are none on the Kia Sonet and one has to take their eyes off the road to make changes and go back to the Home Screen. This is neither safe nor desirable.

The issue is that Skoda has increased the prices of the Slavia along with the "downgrade" of the infotainment system and that has irked the prospective customers.
gpagedar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 08:24   #647
BHPian

Its not a suggestion to anyone but just a disappointed could have been Skoda owner:

Went to PPS Skoda showroom on Mysore road to book 1.5MT Slavia which was my 2 years old dream. But was disappointed to learn that price has been hiked and infotainment size was reduced.

I see many people here saying physical buttons are far more intuitive, it may be, but the reduction of size is not to make it more intuitive rather its downgrading. Important feature missing is wireless Apple Car play.

When the price was announced I felt its over priced at-least by 2L(thats my personal opinion) and now its crossing 21L is just not acceptable.

I have been using VW products from past 6 years and its difficult to move away from VAG products but these kind of behaviour from VW/SKODA is appalling. Though my mind still wants Slavia but Brain has already started calculating Honda City 1.5Diesel Top End(MT) which is around 19L on road in Bangalore
enginesoul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 09:43   #648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by enginesoul View Post
I see many people here saying physical buttons are far more intuitive, it may be, but the reduction of size is not to make it more intuitive rather its downgrading. Important feature missing is wireless Apple Car play.
As you rightly said, it's just a matter of personal preference and functionality vs bling factor. I had a look at the Slavia recently and found the climate controls and infotainment unit without the physical buttons to be a deal breaker. I mean, I can live with the infotainment unit, but the AC controls were such a pain. I'd trade in the bling factor for the physical buttons anyday. May be I am too used to the controls on the Rapid or may be I am too old Being said that, I agree the wireless car play would've been a good one to get

Last edited by bhp_maniac : 12th June 2022 at 09:45.
Old 12th June 2022, 10:19   #649
Senior - BHPian

I know for each their own, but is wireless CarPlay seriously a deciding factor to buy a car? There can be other reasons, but honestly I think wireless CarPlay is overrated. My one car has a wireless CarPlay and other has wired and honestly I don’t see any issues, rather I prefer the wired as it connects faster.
In Hyundai the smaller 8 inch units has wireless CarPlay and the bigger 10.1 inch that comes with top end models have wired.
sunikkat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 10:55   #650
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
I know for each their own, but is wireless CarPlay seriously a deciding factor to buy a car? There can be other reasons, but honestly I think wireless CarPlay is overrated. My one car has a wireless CarPlay and other has wired and honestly I don’t see any issues, rather I prefer the wired as it connects faster.
Within an hour of using wireless Carplay, I realised that sound quality took a hit and the music didn't sound good. Hence went back to using the good old USB cable and the lossless audio. So now for me Wireless is only used when I have to do short distances where removing phone from pocket and connecting it Everytime is a pain. Otherwise, it remains a fancy feature I don't care about. Maybe it impresses my dad but not me. For those short distances, I anyway used to use Bluetooth in my earlier car without wireless Carplay.

But for me the bigger deletion is the amp and sub woofer. Not sure how the new setup sounds in the Slavia.
audioholic is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 14:04   #651
BHPian

Vehicles with new infotainment has started arriving. Sales guy shared this pic. Saying it’s of Kushaq, but same is coming in Slavia also.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Slavia Review-a101acc5f9a34df6bd6bb211af8ec77a.jpeg  

arvindtayal is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 18:09   #652
BHPian

I was seriously considering buying a Slavia 1.5 and given that there is no real alternative, would have gone ahead despite the following:

- Feature deletion / downgrades
- Price hike
- Unreliable DSG (would have opted for the manual transmission)

But the AC issue being widely reported on VAG 2.0 cars is a deal breaker for me. I can make peace with missing features or a higher price. At the end of the day, at least you get what you are promised. But the AC not cooling enough - can't live with that.

I have canceled the Slavia plans for now. If and when these AC issues are comprehensively resolved, Skoda may have a customer in me (if I am still looking for a sedan then).
Old 12th June 2022, 18:44   #653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarunjain View Post
I have canceled the Slavia plans for now. If and when these AC issues are comprehensively resolved, Skoda may have a customer in me (if I am still looking for a sedan then).
I think the AC issue is mainly on the 1.0 units, 1.5 has great AC from what I've heard.
Old 12th June 2022, 18:52   #654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adigup View Post
I think the AC issue is mainly on the 1.0 units, 1.5 has great AC from what I've heard.
Doesn't look like. Here are a few quotes from posts on Slavia 1.5 / Virtus 1.5 review threads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Also, I felt the AC performance in the 1.0 to be just poor. While the 1.5 also did not have a chilly AC, I could not just bear with the 1.0 AC in a typical Bangalore afternoon. Of course the car was a bit hot standing in the sun, but the ten year old AC of my SX4 which hasnt been touched so far still beats both the 1.0 and 1.5 ACs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Dropped into the local dealer 2 weeks later and found that there was a 1.5 TSI DSG available for test drive.
The air con was not cooling at all! No matter what we tried, the air con compressor would keep cutting on and off intermittently. With the black seats, a load of 5 people onboard and ambient temps outside rising to 37-39 degrees celsius, the Virtus’ air conditioning was clearly struggling. This came as a rude shock to us since I had assured Romil the air con issues were restricted to the 1.0L TSI. The ventilated seats were effective, but since they use the HVAC system itself for cool air, the air being blown out was lukewarm at best (even though the volume of air was sufficient)
tarunjain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 19:19   #655
BHPian

Quote:
Doesn't look like. Here are a few quotes from posts on Slavia 1.5 / Virtus 1.5 review threads:
That's sad. Did you go and check the 1.5s yourself? Try any VW 2.0 car with 1.5 in traffic and and highway. I'd suggest keeping the temperature between 17 and 21, and blower speed between 2 to 4 (Recirculation off and if cabin is hot then please roll windows down to check). If you get time, could you check in a couple 1.5 test drives and confirm?
Old 12th June 2022, 20:05   #656
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It isn't that bad on my car that it would be a deal breaker. You have only quoted my test drive post but not the later ownership post where I have mentioned in detail about the AC. The Auto AC logic needs tweaking but it definitely cools quite fine.

Last edited by audioholic : 12th June 2022 at 20:07.
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 10:42   #657
BHPian

Last Sunday I got a chance to visit the Skoda showroom and check out the 8" head unit personally. It is the same unit as the one mentioned in Arvind's post above. Now, to the observations:
1. Touch response is phenomenal. It is better than the 10" head unit that it replaces.
2. Sound quality is very good. The clarity in sound is something that we need to hear it by ourselves. However, it may not be comparable to the audiophile grade systems found at homes, but for a car, being a stock unit, its exceptionally good.
3. Bass is decent. You will not feel the lack of it anywhere. However, due to the absence of the subwoofer, the depth in the bass is missing. But having said that, it does not sound hollow anytime.
4. Tested the music using Poweramp music player in my Android phone. I also played the music from the Amazon music app. The phone was connected to the head unit using Bluetooth. Settings in the application also play some role here. Found the output from Poweramp better than Amazon Music. So when you are testing the head unit for the sound quality, please pay attention to the source as well.
4. The layout of the head unit is different than that of the 10" head unit it replaces.
driverabhi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 13:05   #658

The Sales Rep who handled the sale for my Slavia 1.0 AT tells me that there is no free-checkup at the one-month mark for the Slavia. Is this true?
Old 14th June 2022, 13:27   #659

This is it then. Seems sophisticated. Inbuilt GPS Navigation would have been cherry on the cake though.

Skoda Slavia Review-img20220614wa0001.jpg

Skoda Slavia Review-img20220614wa0003.jpg

Skoda Slavia Review-img20220614wa0004.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 16th June 2022 at 15:50. Reason: Images watermarked
Sagar77 is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 22:28   #660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2k2 View Post
The Sales Rep who handled the sale for my Slavia 1.0 AT tells me that there is no free-checkup at the one-month mark for the Slavia. Is this true?
I’ve got the same info from my sales guy too. First service at 15000 kms or 1 year.
punto_ is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed