Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2022, 08:08   #751
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Slavia Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Better would be if you find some fellow Slavia owner who got the new system and would like to trade with the earlier 10 inch. Seeing few people being disappointed with Škoda’s move in previous pages, there should be few atleast happy to trade.
Only issue is that the entire wiring harness must be changed along with the speakers and amplifier. Its quite an advanced setup in the Slavia with an 8ch amplifier that's controlled by CAN and a media link to the sub. Its not the same analogue setup which we find in a typical aftermarket amplifier.

On the other hand I used to face a slight distortion issue when playing media through wireless Car play. This was annoying and yesterday I realised that in the media settings we can adjust media volume. Initially thought this was nothing but the main volume but then realised its a separate media gain. After reducing it the sound now is free of distortion.

But the other issue is that Apple car play sticks to the wireless mode even after connecting the USB cable. The only way to use Car play through USB is by completely disabling wireless option. Any workarounds?
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 13:09   #752
Senior - BHPian

Any ownership review on TBHP of the 1.5 manual variant? I am interested in knowing the real life fuel efficiency of the 1.5 engine with manual gearbox.

Although the Virtus looks far better externally, Slavia is way ahead in the interiors department and that is where we spend most of the time. So Slavia is a slightly better choice IMO. Besides, VW does not have a manual gearbox for the 1.5 engine option. I do not want to risk 15+ lakhs on an untrustworthy DSG gearbox.
ajay_satpute is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 15:32   #753
Distinguished - BHPian

Went on a Bengaluru - Kolar - Tirupati trip in my Slavia covering around 500+kms in total. Drove alongside the Innova Crysta since we were seven people and I decided not to stuff the Crysta to the brim. And the bonus was the newly laid road between AP Border all the way till Tirupati. Some takeaways from the trip:
  • Absolutely loved the vehicle and its overall mile-munching capabilities. It can reach and maintain pretty high speeds all day long and swallows distance in no time.
  • NVH at high speeds is acceptable. Hardly any engine noise and a bit of road noise only. No wind noises and the passengers never get a sense of speed unless they see the speedo
  • Suspension is well sorted over undulations, expansion gaps and so. There is that initial bounce after which it settles down quick without any more drama
  • DSG shifts are lovely. Yes this might be a famed unreliable gearbox, but nothing comes close to the way the gearbox is always in the right gear, and the most linear acceleration at all times
  • In 7th gear, the car does 100 at 1900RPM and 140 at 2400RPM. Compared to this my SX4 used to do 100 at 2900RPM which is a sea of change in terms of refinement and capacity
  • Steering weighs up well post 100kmph and even higher speeds isnt a problem. In the segment this is the best setup I have come across especially for high speeds.
  • If I could cover 200kms in roughly 2:15hrs, it must speak a lot about both the vehicle as well as the road.
  • Brakes are very good even at higher speeds especially the bigger ones in the 1.5, but looks like the Goodyear assurance tyres squeal under hard braking and this might need a change, but no freak moments due to this. I faced this squeal when I was doing triple digit speeds and had to abruptly slow down for a speedbreaker
  • AC worked very well in the Andhra heat. No complaints even in Auto mode. Like I mentioned elsewhere, higher engine speeds >1.5K RPM cools very well. Compressor capacity is to be blamed here. Within Tirupati city, I used S mode and that sorted out the AC very well even though temperatures had crossed 35 degrees
  • Even after a spirited high speed drive, the FE was in the range of 14kmpl. Whats surprising is that the engine can also switch to 2 cylinder mode at 120kmph on a flat road. That greatly increases efficiency. But unfortunately my cruising speed was much higher than that most of the time.
  • Used XP95 all the while and the one time I used 91 octane petrol a few days ago, I didnt like the dullness in the engine hence I never used 91 again.
  • One issue I noticed is that some plastic caps on the wheel nuts have fallen off. This must have happened in the stretch between Nangli and Chittoor where bridges have very bad surface and expansion gaps.

Overall, I enjoyed every bit of the drive and so did the co passengers with me.
Skoda Slavia Review-fb9c2121593e4e0caefd73bca70c19ea.jpeg

Last edited by audioholic : 20th July 2022 at 15:40.
audioholic is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2022, 12:16   #754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
I am interested in knowing the real life fuel efficiency of the 1.5 engine with manual gearbox.
I am getting an average of 11kmpl for my moderately sedate driving style. That being said, I certainly don’t rein in my revs if I spot an opportunity: it’s too addictive.
In short drives around Trivandrum city, I see around 9 to 11 kmpl on the console.
Trivandrum to Kochi and back via NH 66 was done with an average of 13.9kmpl, calculated with tankful method. The console showed 14 to 14.5 for these journey.

I recently completed 1500 kms and wanted to take a picture on the dot, but I was on the way to Ponmudi and was having too much fun on the hairpins and missed the mark. Took this picture after I reached the KTDC hotel at the top.

Skoda Slavia Review-a204ccc9ac074ca29ba6873ab8f520c7.jpeg

The console showed 13.3kmpl just before the first hairpin and you can see the 10.5kmpl when I reached the top.
dragntailonfire is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2022, 13:17   #755
BHPian

Had given my Kodiaq for service and was provided a Slavia as spare car by my SA.

I drove around 75 kms with about 20kms in city and rest on highway over 2 days. I liked it a lot, the engine and power were smooth and good. Only next day when i asked my SA the price of 1.5 DSG Style he informed that the car i was using was 1.0 AT Style. I had assumed i was driving the 1.5 DSG because the shifting was smooth and power was very good for normal use. I don't plan to buy but i think 1.0 is great for normal usage. The seats were good and fit/finish was like how a Skoda is.

A few observations:
  • The auto-off and on is a big annoyance in traffic, which hopefully can be turned off? I miss auto-hold (automatic parking brake) from my Kodiaq, even in my Octavia. This is such a useful feature that should be in all automatics.
  • There is def. an issue with AC. Its noticeable on short trips in city and takes some time to cool effectively in those conditions.
  • The 8-inch infotainment unit is good enough but the earlier one would suit the car much better. Sound system is a huge downgrade when compared to my Octavia which itself is not as good as the Kodiaq. I tried to adjust the settings but instead of surround sound it felt most of the sound was from right speaker only.
AnandB is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2022, 22:56   #756
Senior - BHPian

Seems strange that it's only the Slavia is having this AC issue, and not the VW Virtus. Anyone know what the differentiating factor is.. Compressor?
Old 23rd July 2022, 23:24   #757
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
Seems strange that it's only the Slavia is having this AC issue, and not the VW Virtus. Anyone know what the differentiating factor is.. Compressor?
There are not enough Virtus on the road yet and temperatures are coming down due to monsoons. In that way I can say that the AC is working perfectly in my car now, just because there is hardly direct sunlight in Bangalore now
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 14:17   #758

Slavia HeadUnit Issues

Hello folks,
This is my first post on teambhp and i am all excited to have all your feedbacks and experience on the below matter.

Come June 27, 2022, it was the most exciting day of this year for me as i got my hands on my Skoda Slavia 1.0 Ambition Manual and I was all the way more excited that it came with the initial 10" infotainment screen which was being offered. It just looked fabulous. Little did i know that time that it will be the source of all my troubles with this car.
Initial week was all good and it went showing my friends and family all the features of the car and the enjoying the super comfortable and extremely peaceful ride.

Then one day my problems started while driving when i was connected on Android Auto and navigating on Google Maps, i realised after almost 30 mins of driving that the map is not moving anymore and that i have been driving without navigation and reached some wrong place. My entire infotainment system touchscreen had frozen and only the music was ongoing which gave me an illusion that everything was fine.

I tried everything but the only way to sort the problem was a full headunit restart. I shrugged off the problem as a once in a blue moon types and didnt think about it twice. P.S. I use a samsung galaxy s20+ which is on the latest android auto and andoid 12 version and i am always connected wirelessly.

However this problem was not once in a blue moon types and now it seems to happen every single day after few mins of driving. The entire infotainment screen freezes and only way to solve it is to restart the unit.

The skoda dealership had no clue about the issue and said they will contact their technical team with the problem and if a solution exists. They however confirmed that my software on the infotainment unit is the latest and no more updates are available as of now.

I have contacted skoda customer care myself to check if they know why this problem occurs, but however i would like to know all of your experiences with the slavia/kushaq 10" infotainment unit. Did anyone face similar issues when connected with Andoid auto wirelessly?
Old 28th July 2022, 17:49   #759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skodaslavs View Post
Hello folks,
This is my first post on teambhp and i am all excited to have all your feedbacks and experience on the below matter.
Did anyone face similar issues when connected with Andoid auto wirelessly?
Welcome to the forum.

To isolate whether the root-cause is because of your phone or the head-unit itself, please try the below steps:

1. If you have access to an iPhone which is being used with CarPlay on another car (without an issue), try out CarPlay on your car (wired and wireless both: this would confirm that both the USB and WiFi interfaces of the head-unit are working okay)

2.1 If [1] works (problem doesn't occur), try using your phone with wired Android Auto.

2.2 If problem recurs during [1]: either the wired CarPlay worked or the wireless CarPlay, or both didn't work. In either case, the issue is with the head-unit.

3. If [1] worked okay, then the issue is definitely with your phone's AA software. Android phone variants (different manufacturer or same manufacturer but different model line) are notorious for not being compatible with Android Auto implementations. In this case, you may need to try out an Android phone model which is known to work with the Skoda 10" HU.

PS: remember to take videos of each step. This can be shared with your dealership as evidence of the issue (if required).

Last edited by GoBlue : 28th July 2022 at 18:11.
Old 29th July 2022, 23:40   #760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Any ownership review on TBHP of the 1.5 manual variant? I am interested in knowing the real life fuel efficiency of the 1.5 engine with manual gearbox.

Although the Virtus looks far better externally, Slavia is way ahead in the interiors department and that is where we spend most of the time. So Slavia is a slightly better choice IMO. Besides, VW does not have a manual gearbox for the 1.5 engine option. I do not want to risk 15+ lakhs on an untrustworthy DSG gearbox.
I recently got the Slavia 1.5MT Candy White. 2200 kms done in the 1st week of ownership. Love every bit esp. the MT with that sweet red line upwards of 6000rpm. Realistic FE in city is around 9-11km/lt depending on traffic. Highway is 14-15 if driven sedately (cruising speeds of 100 to 120km/hr), if pushed hard - 10 to 11km/lt.

I had a Tjet (and a 320d before this), the handling is one notch below the humble Tjet.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Slavia Review-img-1.jpg  

Skoda Slavia Review-img5739.jpg  

Skoda Slavia Review-img5747.jpg  

Skoda Slavia Review-img5749.jpg  

Last edited by Sathya_sc : 30th July 2022 at 00:08. Reason: Added Pictures
Sathya_sc is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 30th July 2022, 09:46   #761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
I recently got the Slavia 1.5MT Candy White. 2200 kms done in the 1st week of ownership. Love every bit esp. the MT with that sweet red line upwards of 6000rpm. Realistic FE in city is around 9-11km/lt depending on traffic. Highway is 14-15 if driven sedately (cruising speeds of 100 to 120km/hr), if pushed hard - 10 to 11km/lt.

I had a Tjet (and a 320d before this), the handling is one notch below the humble Tjet.
How is the AC working as many people are reporting issues with AC? Did you face any issues with AC considering Chennai weather?
Old 30th July 2022, 13:04   #762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRSriram View Post
How is the AC working as many people are reporting issues with AC? Did you face any issues with AC considering Chennai weather?
AC is a bit of a disappointment sincerely. It works very well as long as the car is parked in shade (cools the cabin in few mins). If the car is parked in open (in Chennai weather), it takes 15-20mins to cool the cabin no matter what. I am not talking here about AUTO AC. I am talking here about keeping the AC manually at 16C with the blower at full speed in recirculation mode with ventilated seats also ON.
Sathya_sc is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th July 2022, 18:32   #763
Distinguished - BHPian

Switched the foot pedals to these OE steel pedals which costed only 500. Not sure why Skoda can’t offer these as OE at least in the top end variant or the 1.5

Skoda Slavia Review-2def7f098853488eadc79311b2229155.jpeg

If anyone is interested the part number is 6JM-064-205 and MRP is 499.

Last edited by audioholic : 30th July 2022 at 18:38.
audioholic is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 30th July 2022, 21:08   #764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Switched the foot pedals to these OE steel pedals which costed only 500. Not sure why Skoda can’t offer these as OE at least in the top end variant or the 1.5

If anyone is interested the part number is 6JM-064-205 and MRP is 499.
Looks super cool. Are these purchased and installed at service center? I will be willing to get a set for manual.
Old 30th July 2022, 22:04   #765
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAgile View Post
Looks super cool. Are these purchased and installed at service center? I will be willing to get a set for manual.
I purchased it from the service center but didn’t bother to get them installed there. Came home and took less than five minutes to get them on.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks