Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2022, 21:14   #826
BHPian

Re: Skoda Slavia Review

Slavia looks so sharp and the paint quality is decent enough that it looks head-turner in every color. Yet I guess there’s one color that suits it better than the rest. But it’s not easy to say which one. Can someone start a poll on this? It would be quite fun and maybe something useful comes out for existing and potential buyers.
Old 29th August 2022, 21:42   #827
BHPian

Color is purely a personal preference. There is no one color that looks the best. We just want to think that the color that we liked is the best color . Skoda/VW group has done enough homework when shortlisting the colors; none of the colors looks bad. I have been to the stockyards of both Skoda & VW.
When we booked Slavia we opted for Red color. Even after 3 months of waiting we just couldn't get this color in 1.5 DSG variant. The dealer offered us a Blue & White color which we rejected. I have had far too many discussions with my better half on this for 2 months. After 3 months of waiting & no red color in sight, I gave up & brought the only color available then; White. My better half still wanted Red. But I have started liking White. My color preference now is Blue>White>Red>Silver>Carbon Steel. I think Monte Carlo edition in Red would be the best though.

PS: Red Colour in Slavia is rare. Out of 50 odd cars in the stockyard, only 3 were Red and only one Red 1.5. Out of 3 dealers I visited only one had a single red car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neochanger View Post
Slavia looks so sharp and the paint quality is decent enough that it looks head-turner in every color. Yet I guess there’s one color that suits it better than the rest. But it’s not easy to say which one. Can someone start a poll on this? It would be quite fun and maybe something useful comes out for existing and potential buyers.
amit1agrawal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 22:30   #828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1agrawal View Post
I have had far too many discussions with my better half on this for 2 months. After 3 months of waiting & no red color in sight, I gave up & brought the only color available then; White. My better half still wanted Red. But I have started liking White. My color preference now is Blue>White>Red>Silver>Carbon Steel. I think Monte Carlo edition in Red would be the best though.
I too have booked the car in red color. The dealer hasn’t expressed any concerns about shortage or delay in delivering the red one but your experience suggests I might be told this when delivery time nears to a week or two. I am planning to buy just before Diwali.

Though I booked red color, there’s a bit of doubt regarding how well it will age, would it look boring after first few months of craze and won’t it be too attractive on road to actually be distractive for me. Also, the rear red light doesn’t seem that good due to very little contrast. White seems elegant, classy and will definitely age well but then again it’s too common and feels like we are losing all uniqueness.

Also, the other day I saw a red Slavia in night and it didn’t look very eye catching perhaps because it was bit dusty. Is maintaining the red color difficult? Would it look too poor on road with slight layer of dust which is usual case in our locality.

Quote:
PS: Red Colour in Slavia is rare. Out of 50 odd cars in the stockyard, only 3 were Red and only one Red 1.5. Out of 3 dealers I visited only one had a single red car.
The general survey of car colors proves your observation. Red is 7-9% of all cars on Indian road. Choosing red means taking a risk. It’s either a hit or miss. White is safe, evergreen but as usual doesn’t bring the different vibe. I am having endless discussions on colors with my friends and family members yet the confusion doesn’t seem to die down. My poor SA at Skoda has stopped responding to me seeing my confusion on every aspect of the car, the variant, the color and the brand itself
Is there anyone who can pull me out of my ever growing dilemma?
Old 29th August 2022, 23:14   #829
BHPian

I think the Silver looks the most elegant & classy. Photos just don't do justice to it. In person, it looks very good. It has a distinct metallic shine to it. Red will be sporty with black alloy wheels, smoked-out head/tail lamps, black roof, and all black chrome elements & lettering (In short Monte Carlo edition).
Ask your SA to arrange a visit to the stockyard to check out all the colors & then decide.
My Observation: In North India, people have a strong preference for White color. Almost 50% of the cars would be white. In the South, it's the other way around. Whites are usually taxis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neochanger View Post
Though I booked red color, there’s a bit of doubt regarding how well it will age, would it look boring after first few months of craze and won’t it be too attractive on road to actually be distractive for me. Also, the rear red light doesn’t seem that good due to very little contrast. White seems elegant, classy and will definitely age well but then again it’s too common and feels like we are losing all uniqueness.
Old 29th August 2022, 23:28   #830
BHPian

Quote:
. I can only imagine what it would be like to rev up to 6k rpm on 1.5 MT! DSG is conservative till D3 after which it unleashes like a beast.
Well I clocked 15 km per hour trying to catch up with a friend and I did not realise the speed. 4th Gear My heart could allow me to rev only upto 5000...the acceleration was scary
Old 2nd September 2022, 09:18   #831
BHPian

I am going to get delivery of my Slavia Style 1.0 MT within two weeks. Just realized that the top model does not have a feature which even the ambition and active variants have!

The Style variant does not have top mounted sunglass holder !!
akash_m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 11:26   #832
BHPian

That's strange. Where do they offer the ability to keep sunglasses in the Style variant then?
Old 2nd September 2022, 12:00   #833
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_m View Post
I am going to get delivery of my Slavia Style 1.0 MT within two weeks. Just realized that the top model does not have a feature which even the ambition and active variants have!

The Style variant does not have top mounted sunglass holder !!
Normally models / trims with Sunroof option do not have sunglass holders. Seems to be the case here as well.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 14:09   #834
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I can only imagine what it would be like to rev up to 6k rpm on 1.5 MT! DSG is conservative till D3 after which it unleashes like a beast. The car was stable all throughout.
Same here. I am now tempted to try out the manual I am sure in first and second gear we could end up with some wheel spin. In my car its brutal after third gear but the initial acceleration needs some throttle which I am not smashing to save the clutch pack.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 14:18   #835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Normally models / trims with Sunroof option do not have sunglass holders. Seems to be the case here as well.
True, but the sunglass holder is missing even in the Slavia Style NSR (Non-Sunroof) version!
Old 2nd September 2022, 16:35   #836
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
True, but the sunglass holder is missing even in the Slavia Style NSR (Non-Sunroof) version!
Check this video at 12:43 mins.

As per the brochure the sunglass holder is not available in both Style trims. But this video says otherwise. Skoda VW is known to silently add / remove these little things from time to time.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 17:36   #837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Check this video at 12:43 mins.

https://Youtu.be/tLvx1EokxzA

As per the brochure the sunglass holder is not available in both Style trims. But this video says otherwise. Skoda VW is known to silently add / remove these little things from time to time.
That's strange! I personally saw NSR version without sunglass holder. Or is it that the privilege goes only to Style 1.5? As you rightly pointed out, I am afraid if I would be deprived of certain volatile features when I get delivery after few weeks (read auto folding mirrors & wireless charger)

Last edited by akash_m : 2nd September 2022 at 17:38.
Old 2nd September 2022, 21:48   #838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
That's serious running. How has been your experience so far? Could you please write a summary?
As I write this, I have done 13900 km in about 5.25 months. My travel is quite a bit. 100 km daily, and occasional additional outstation trips. I had a Skoda Rapid Diesel Manual (Elegance 1.6 TDI) before this, which I owned for about 9 years. I completed close to 2.9 lakhs on the odo, before deciding that it was giving me frequent niggles, and the trips to workshops were causing inconvenience. Additionally, I also purchased a Tata Hexa AT in 2017. That has done close to 85k to date. For daily driving, I prefer a sedan. Hence the addition of Slavia style 1.0 AT. Why not MT 1.5? - because I have driven manual cars a lot and with the distances I drive at times, it becomes tiring. Why not DSG? - because the salesperson, who also helped me during the purchase of Rapid, knowing my driving, warned me. Almost half of those 13900km have been done by me, while I have been driven for the remaining half.

Having driven diesel engines for close to 10 years, this felt smooth and light. At the same time, it feels so light that I feel unsafe at times. I can’t explain and pinpoint why but I do get the feeling at times. I just made one to and fro 400 km trip. That I thought was very comfortable and convenient. Highway cruising was relaxed and comfy. Navigating in metro traffic again was a breeze. I for one, am very satisfied with driving dynamics as a non-technical, but a person who has driven around a fair bit over the years. I have a rather sedate driving style, which is what has been dictated to my drivers too. The mileage has been good for me. It has always been over 16 kmpl and close to 19 on good days. No way near what I used to get with Rapid diesel, but still good enough. The cabin feels fresh and stylish and I don't get a feeling of getting bored of it anytime soon. The rear leg room is adequate.

Most of the things I did not like have been discussed threadbare already. Here are a few

Ac - enough has already been said. I don't need to add any more
As I said, I feel the car (not necessarily only the steering) feels too light at times
No option of one-touch up and down for non-driver windows
No option to open and close the windows using a remote
Reverse camera - aaaargh
Skoda Connect is buggy, They should have done better
Lumbar support - why did they have to remove it?
While the seats are comfortable, a little more cushion would have been good
travelex is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 18:44   #839
BANNED

Quote:
As far as I can remember the sunglass holder is only for the ambition version of the slavia.. Check out the brochure I have attached
Attached Files
File Type: pdf lgo6sge.pdf (5.16 MB, 473 views)
Old 3rd September 2022, 19:07   #840
BHPian

Went and did a test drive of this today, Style 1.0L model.

I'm not a technical person by any measure, but it did seem fun to drive tbh. Boot space was good, backseat is quite comfortable and spacious even if someone sits behind me (I'm 6'1 ish).
Build quality seemed nice, plastic felt decent. Nice touch with USB type c ports.
Got an on road quote of about 16.8L in Gurgaon. Since I haven't seen the 5th gen City since January, I plan to go to see that one soon (since the Slavia is fresh on my mind).
LordSpymaster is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks