Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2022, 20:18   #871
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Czech with a German heart and blood in its veins, my Skoda Slavia Style 1.5 DSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinni View Post
Thanks again, me too 52yrs now with potential back pain due to a disc
In the Kushaq you open the door and sit at the same level like how you do on a high chair, slightly lower.. In the Slavia you open the door and sit like how you sit on a couch. Thats Basically the difference between the two cars. However the Slavia is pretty raised and isn't as low as a typical sedan like the Honda city where you sit much lower.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 11:23   #872

Re: Skoda Slavia Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstguri View Post
It's not about your experience or fuel economy as much as it is about engineering design! The engine has been designed for 95 octane and the manual clearly states that 91 octane can be used in emergency and will result in slightly reduced power and FE.
Did not know about this, thank you for this info. Will try xp95 and see it for myself the difference
Googix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 12:30   #873
BHPian

Re: Czech with a German heart and blood in its veins, my Skoda Slavia Style 1.5 DSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd de Souza View Post
Ingress and egress though not as easy as the Ecosport is very manageable. The Taigun/Kushaq twins are better than the Slavia/Virtus in this regard but not as good as the Ecosport. The Compass and Ecosport were almost the same in ease of ingress/egress.
The Compass ingress seems quite raised and may not be as comfortable for older people right?
Old 9th September 2022, 12:56   #874
Senior - BHPian

Does the Slavia 1.5 MT suffer from the AC issue reported across Taigun/Kushaq/Virtus/Slavia? After test driving both 1.0 and 1.5, it is next to impossible to settle for the 1.0. Insane 1.5 engine ! And for all unexpected reasons (including cylinder deactivation), 1.5 returns slightly better FE numbers than 1.0.

I am sold on a silver Style 1.5 MT for now. However, some career changes might force me to postpone my plan a bit.

Any other issues I should be aware of besides the AC issue? Anything specific to 1.5?
Old 9th September 2022, 13:31   #875
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
for your new car. DSG 1.5 TSI in this age bracket is quite a choice. Wishing you an enjoyable ownership.
Thanks for the thumbs up ajayc123. I love cars and if you see the sequence of cars that I have owned you will realise that there has more or less been a power increase with each purchase of a new primary car:
Daewoo Matiz(60)=>Fiat Palio S10(102)=>Maruti Baleno sedan(91)=>VW Vento 1.6 petrol(105)=>Ford Ecosport Ecoboost(123)=>Skoda Slavia 1.5(148)
This is likely to be the last car I drive. Like I said earlier, if the Ecosport Ecoboost was automatic, I would have kept it or Bought the automatic Ecoboost if it was made available.
Old 9th September 2022, 13:46   #876
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulag62442 View Post
The Compass ingress seems quite raised and may not be as comfortable for older people right?
That would depend on how old they are and their dimensions. To give you an example, when I checked out the Ecosport, I made my mother in law(88 yrs at the time and 5ft3 normal weight) get in and out to check out ease of ingress/egress for her. She did struggle a bit but was ok with it and got used to it after I bought the car. The next year I picked up the Baleno and she felt more comfortable in it.
So, for an old person who is on the taller side, say more than 5ft6 the Compass or a car with an SUVish stance would be better. For people shorter than that, a sedan would probable be more acceptable.
Ultimately, my advice is physically check it out with the older person by taking them on a test drive or seeing how smoothly they get in and out.
Floyd de Souza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 00:29   #877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkygupta View Post
Hello, I have a Virtus myself and I enquired about unlocking a few features and changing the colour of the instrument cluster and the infotainment system from “drcodemyvg”. While they told me they can unlock 12+ features and change the colour too, I wanted to know if I will require their assistance to change the colour or like I can do it on my own whenever I would like to? Also, how do you think it impacts our warranty?
I read about this in an article and a youtube video wherein a Vitrus owner got these mods done by the same group you mentioned. He clarified all the changes you can operate manually yourselves once treated. Also no issues with warranty.
shubham322000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 08:50   #878
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubham322000 View Post
He clarified all the changes you can operate manually yourselves once treated. Also no issues with warranty.
This is a misunderstanding. Not sure if it was communicated by them or you misunderstood. VCDS coding can only be done using the tool and software. There is no other way to do it except use a different tool like OBDEleven or such. Without these you cannot do further changes or revert the previous changes back to stock form.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 09:07   #879
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkygupta View Post
Hello, I have a Virtus myself and I enquired about unlocking a few features and changing the colour of the instrument cluster and the infotainment system from “drcodemyvg”. While they told me they can unlock 12+ features and change the colour too, I wanted to know if I will require their assistance to change the colour or like I can do it on my own whenever I would like to? Also, how do you think it impacts our warranty?
You will need their assistance to change the color again. I'm sure that was communicated to you. If in doubt, please confirm again
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 09:50   #880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
This is a misunderstanding. Not sure if it was communicated by them or you misunderstood. VCDS coding can only be done using the tool and software. There is no other way to do it except use a different tool like OBDEleven or such. Without these you cannot do further changes or revert the previous changes back to stock form.
Got it, what do you recommend in such cases. Basis the changes they brought in to the vehicle, sounded tempting and I was looking forward to them. Are there any alternates or a safe way to go with them without impacting anything overall?
Old 11th September 2022, 23:00   #881
BHPian

I went to Rajajinagar from Whitefield today early morning & returned back in 3 hours, a total distance of about 55kms. Returned a mileage of 15.2 kmpl as per MID with an average speed of 45 km/hr. I was not driving sedately nor trying to be aggressive, there was light traffic due to which I had to keep reducing speed and accelerating. Impressed by the mileage; even my Santro cannot return such figures. TSI 1.5 with DSG is simply amazing; very smooth with performance available on tap.

I am glad I didn't go with Compass Petrol AT. I would not have been happy with a lethargic engine + gearbox combination no matter how better the car is in other aspects.
I feel there are unwarranted concerns being raised about the built quality. It's not built like a tank like my previous Linea but it's quite similar built to VW Polo that I had 6 years back. Maybe it's just a tad lighter build than the previous generation VW/Skoda but not a deal breaker IMO.
The sound system, without the subwoofer, is quite good for non-audiophile public. I always use wired android auto & have adjusted equilizer to my liking. It sounds better than the Bose Docking station at home. With bluetooth, the sound quality drastically reduced.

Due to the rainy season mud had accumulated in the lower half of the body and a good wash was due. I went to my preferred detailing center nearby and got it washed & interior vacuum cleaned (swapped wax polishing with interior vacuum cleaning in their 'basic package' ).

Skoda Slavia Review-20220911_124939.jpg

Skoda Slavia Review-20220911_125015.jpg
amit1agrawal is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 11:05   #882
BHPian

15.2 is a commendable milage for a 1.5 litre engine considering you drive at 45km/hr which is too slow to get a good milage.
Old 12th September 2022, 21:43   #883

My Slavia 1.0 AT Style

Hi all,
I thought of my next post on my buying experience of Skoda Slavia. This is my second post followed by my introduction.

My Requirements:
Budget: 13 to 17 lac based on the vehicle and value it offers.

Fuel:Petrol
After having driven Ford 1.4 TDCI for 13 years, next target was a petrol car.
BS6 Diesel are haunted with DPF issues, so no actual savings ad invite additional hassles.
I also drive friends petrol cars, they feel light and noiseless. Even the EPS was smooth in city.
In fact i never actually felt 1.2 NA of so many cars being less powerful, they are definitely OK in cities and highways.
I assume thye can be a problem only on steep hills, which again can be managed if we tackle it fom ground level before climbing.
With all said and done, i still though a turbo engine is a must after using Ford turbo diesel. They have the pulling power.

Body:SUV or Sedan
I had a sedan and a hatchback, so next one was an SUV. But there are numerous options but all lacked something. This will hold true for Kushaq to Magnite.
I wanted an SUV only for bad roads of Bangalore. Once it rains, areas like HSR, Bellandur, Bommanahalli, Begur floods and SUV works better.
I also liked the sitting positions of SUV and ease of ingress/outgress.
Sedan considertion is mainly for space and great highway experience.

Mandatory Feature:
Never to miss:
6 airbags - for safety, never know on luck as who/when/what
Braking and related tech (ESP/TCS/Hill Hold) - Ideally these should also be made mandatory. Hill Hold required for others in family.
Apple Carplay - Mobile holder never good, need maps since I travel
Automatic Gears (Torque Converter) - Tired of traffic and repeated road humps. Also lane fights on highways.
LED headlamps - everyone has it, its bright. Others trouble me a lot with those lights at SUV height.
Illuminated buttons - Need it on all buttons, why struggle in dark.
Steering Mounted Controls - Easy use of everything
Cruise Control - To extract mileage from powerful cars
360 Camera - Big vehicles can be managed easily if this is present
Rear AC vents - family needs it.

Good if it is present, else ok:
Ventilated Seats- helps in summers of course. But if AC is good then its fine to let go.
Follow Me Headlamps - Helps getting inside the house

Not much bothered of:
Sunroof - maintenance, possibility of cracks and leaks, extra price
Push Button Start - I like the Keys
Auto Headlamps, Auto Wiper - We will anyways use them when need
Ambient Light - Just cosmetics
Virtual Cockpit - I like if there are 2 dials for Speed and Tack. Not a fan of Slavia Console.

Vehicles Considered:
I will not write lengthy notes of likes and dislikes since you have already seen in many posts but will keep it in short.

Nissan Kicks -
Pro: Powerful, spacious, ground clearance
Cons: CVT, Moose Test Video in YouTube, Not many in sales, old platform, Nissan Service, no 360 CAM on CVT

Nissan Magnite - (Test Driven)
Pros: Affordable, has all features i need. No complaints on CVT.
Cons: No manual steps for CVT, Nissan Service.

Tata Nexon Petrol and EV
Pros: Ultimate, has all features i need. It comes with Ventilated Seats too.
Cons: AMT Gearbox, Slow Infotainment.
Cons: EV Charging is a concern for now in my native places

Mahindra XUV300
Pros: Looks well, rides well. Spacious for people.
Cons: AMT Gearbox, Boot Space. Its lesser than my old Figo.

Hyundai Venue/Kia Sonet
Pros: Brand value, resale value, service.
Cons: DCT Heating, Less space, breadbox design

Hyundai Creta - (Test Driven)
Pros: Smooth Drive, 3 people in second row, resale value.
Cons: No automatic under 17 lac. No full fledged braking tech. Even nexon base model has all these. CVT starts at 20 lac. Never want a DCT for its niggles. Not a drivers car.

Skoda Kushaq:
Pros: Brand image, safety features from base model, localization, TSI, Torque Converter, paddle shifters
Cons: Social Media influence on rattling/console display/EPC, 1.0 AT pricey for style, Ambition looses many features but not the discount, 2nd row strictly for 2 people,Compliants of AC

Skoda Slavia - (Test Driven)
Pros: Including the Kushaq above, boot space, promise from Zac that all the defetcs in Kusq are rectified and will be incorporated in Slavia before launch.
Cons: Including the Kushaq above, no 360 CAM for such a big sedan.

Future Considerations:
Petrol Harrier - Too late to wait, concerns on mileage
Creta Rival from Toyota/Suzuki - I have to wait till Diwali, I wanted a new car now. This is manly because to get rid of manual and go for more comfort.
6 Speed AT from Suzuki from Brezza/Ertiga - Ertiga and XL6 was reviewed as slow vehicle, Brezza is not released and i expect the same for this one too.

Test Drive
Hyundai Creta:
Pavan Hyundai in Kanakpura road is good in customer service. But here was no automatic model whatsoever. There was no thought from dealer to arrange one. He told to drive manual and CVT will feel almost the same since its same engine.

Nexon Petrol AMT:
Key Motors from Tata are not that good. I went 4 times for test drive and there was no vehicle. They took my number and assured a car sent to home but never happened. Finally after some friendly sources (my friend's friend had contact with manager of that showroom) I got one sent home. It was overall good. AMT is not that bad. Overall drive was good, i did not see AMT jerks that much in city ride. Overall price is 16.1 lac for XZAP, another one lac Slavia 1.0 Ambition AT was available. Considering the value of Nexon over Slavia, I almost decided to book Nexon.

Skoda Slavia AT:
Twist is this car was not tested in Bangalore. Bangalore showrooms were far from my house. TAFE JP Nagar was a touchpoint and did not had car when I wanted. This was a nearest place for me. They always asked me to to come to HSR or St Marks Road. The plan to go there was always postponing.
I had been to Udupi which is my native place, I was happy to see a Skoda (TAFE) just 2kms away from my house which is located in the highway. I took some time and went for test drive. Vilas Poojary (SA) was the best guy who helped us a lot. He got 1.0 Manual for test and assured another TD later with automatic. As usual, i finished in 3kms like how we do in bangalore. He told me that people in this city take for 20kms and asked me to drive more. I was so happy and surprised that I get to drive Skoda Slavia for that long. It was the Mangalore to Goa highway. No matter what other issues Skoda has, 1.0 is a gem of a machine. I was convinced to book Skoda at that time itself but again had thoughts because there was no youtube video release that time with all those reviewers (Faisal, Gagan, Ashish, Motoroctane, ACI).
Later I came to Bangalore, after a week i started getting follow up calls. I couldn't run away from Vilas as he was very helpful. Hence i started asking information on known issues, possibility to talk with existing users, any EPC/AC issues observed in his city. He made me patch with few customers and all of them gave good feedback about the car. Udupi being hot and humid place, the existing owners mentioned that its not freezing but very much sufficient. Another thing was I had tested only 1.0 manual. Vilas got Bangalore TAFE to arrange an AT for me. I did a test drive and I was very happy with the experience. What a torque output.
I first booked Ambition AT to save money but Style had added features like subwoofer, LED headlamp, ambient lights, sunroof, 6 airbags and digital cockpit. I wanted LED headlamp badly and so are the 6 airbags. You already know that October 2022 onwards the rule for 6 airbags may become mandatory. New Baleno, Sonet, Seltos, Karens and few others already added rear discs and more airbags (if not 6). I did not wanted to be left behind. Sadly there was no NSR (Non Sun Roof) Style in AT, it was there in manual.
Hence, considering all the factors and leaving behind 360 CAM booked Slavia Style AT.

Booking:
My booking is in Udupi, the only reason is to get Vilas the sales incentive. But it did have its effects. My address in Bangalore and RTO is KA05, the delivery of the car is to be Bangalore as well. Some paperwork on Loan and Form 20 etc had to be exchanged in couriers, but overall smooth. Booking was done on 19th April for RED COLOR. Almost alternate days a follow up call was done on delivery, most of the time it was told that 40 days from the date of booking. Days kept passing for being eager to know on details but usual updates on calls. After 4 weeks, i got a call from SA's manager that RED is not available and convinced me to go for Carbon Steel. I sent couple of emails top Skoda and Zac Hollis but the responses were not helpful. Zac mentioned the struggle as his first response. Later i asked how come a color is a problem? its not a part or a semiconductor board, no response. I emailed again as this will be a testimony for your customer service, if you dont respond now then how can be assured that warranty replacements will be smooth? no response. I felt like cancelling but there was no other car that matched my needs. I did think to cancel based on lot of AC issues and 2 instances of EPS issues. Then I called up those numbers given by SA of existing customers of Udupi to those whom he sold. I spoke to them in detail and they feel that the AC is fine even for hot and humid coastal area of Udupi. In that case it should be sufficient for Bangalore. Also, they mentioned that they did not get a single instance of EPC problem. Hence, I continued to proceed with the car even if i am asked to take Carbon Steel. Actually that color is very good too. Meanwhile, due to my harsh emails or just my luck, almost after 33 days the SA's manager called me that Blue is available and can be allotted, I simply accepted as I did not wanted more delays. In fact, assuming I will get in 40 days, I had sold my existing Ford Figo Titanium TDCI 1.4 2013 right after a month from the date of booking. Car is a real need for me. on 23rd may, car arrived to stockyard, on 24th May the PDI was done and kept in HSR Layout showroom. I visited the showroom and saw the car in basement, I was very happy though. There were no visible scratches. Since i travelled that far, i wanted to do something with the car so asked local SA to start the car and show all the lights, he did it promptly. Same day i asked HDFC to release payment and I paid my share too. All I had to do was wait for June 1st, those were like longest days.
Finally the day has come, I had taken leave to ensure no hurry and no misses. I took a cab along with spouse to HSR Tafe Access Skoda. The vehicle was delivered as expected. After all the formalities, we took the first drive from showroom to temple. After an hour of work on Pooja, too the vehicle home. In this ride, though i am first to AT, I never felt like using shifter like usual manual guys do by confusion. I filled Indian Oil XP95 petrol for half tank.
Upon reaching home, gave sweets to neighbors. Most of them took a ride as passengers and i took this opportunity to ride the vehicle repeatedly.

Observations:
The Good
Power and Torque is more than sufficient. Never felt it underpowered.
Gear changes at proper intervals according to throttle input.
Unless there are 5 people and you are on inclined roads, you hardly observe turbo lag.
Never really felt AC is less, its sufficient. Sometimes in hot sun, cooling may get delayed but not bad at all.
Interior fit and finish is acceptable, since i dont own older skoda this is good for me. Many people say Rapid was better.
Steering response is not bad at all. I did a 120kmph on NICE Road and it turned exactly how I wanted during over taking.
Very minimal body roll.
In engine performance, its bang for the buck and can give sleepless nights to Hyundai Verna and Honda City. (Please know that we are not talking on service or reliability yet).
High rev range, i was able to make 160kmph with just 5000RPM
Hill hold assist, cruise control are gifts.
Audio is too good. I still feel the subwoofer is not as powerful as the ones we put like Sony/Pioneer but the overall sound quality is very good. I guess its set for decent bass and best audio quality.
Very much addicted to Cruise Control on highways.
Mileage in Highway at 110kmph - 16kmpl as per MID, so 14.5 tank to tank.
Headlamp in city (LED), wide and whie, covers all aspects of road.

The Bad:
Rear View camera could have been better.
Suspension makes thud noise on potholes, a gas cushion like sound would have been better. I dont know why they say it is softer than Virtus.
As of now MID shows 6kmpl, hoping that it will improve after sometime. I need to do a tank to tank test.
Also, I am unable to see trip wise data. It only shows data Since Start all the time and hence I cant see the statistics of each ride.
The engine heats up a lot, I havent seen so much heat in any older cars. Also, the bonnet holding stick also heats up. This must be improved.
Mileage - I was very unhappy that my mileage is just 7.5 kmpl overall. Even with low RPM and sedated driving. I spoke to my cousin who has Altroz NA manual. He said even he gets 8 to 9 in city. Then i felt little better.
Headlamp on Highway - LED high beam is worst, no shadow on ups and downs of road, no beam pointed. Its just distracted and soft spread light on high beam.

What is required:
The space it offers is to good. I still feel a 360 cam is required.
Better AC, its good now but need chiller sometimes
make the headlamp with twin setup. Low beam LED and high beam halogen.

Its been 3 months since purchase and i could not drive much due to work from home. Now its done almost 2400km. I did go to a trip to Thirupathi and Davangere, both from Bangalore.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Slavia Review-20220601-21.34.31.jpg  

Skoda Slavia Review-20220604-11.26.19.jpg  

Skoda Slavia Review-20220908-22.00.04.jpg  

mikebhat is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 18:05   #884

Is ingress and egress comfortable in slavia. Are you at anytime missing buying an SUV ? What was clinching that made you decide on a sedan. I am asking because I too am in that situation of confusion and your answer might help me take a good decision. Thank you.
Old 16th September 2022, 18:02   #885
BHPian

Ease of ingress/egress would be different for different persons. My suggestion would be to take your near and dear ones or those who would be travelling with you most often on test drives of your car consideration set, the SUVs and sedans and see how easily they get in and out, especially the older folk.
Floyd de Souza is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed