Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2022, 22:33   #901
Senior - BHPian

Day 1 Impressions

Took delivery yesterday, reached home to find out that the rear left glass is not going down. I can hear the motor whirr, but the glass won't go down. Need to get that sorted.

Other immediate observations.

The golden-bronze strip running across the dash, the one on the passenger side has an LED light on it, the part to right of it, does not. Looks weird. Picture for reference.

The handbrake is too high even in the not-used position. Should have been lower and tucked away. The gear shaft is too huge and too easy to mistakenly move into manual mode - should have been shorter and more firm. Also, gear position LED indication on the gear knob is odd, how can I see what it's slotted into, if my palm is covering the same. Above issues are not present in a Polo that is less than half the price. Trying to keep my expectations reasonable, and most comparisons are therefore with the Polo, as this is the only other VAG vehicle I have driven other than the 2014 Q7.

The AC temperature touch slider is a nuisance to use, very non-intuitive and distracting - it should have been a simple knob or button(s).

There is only one display option that shows the tachometer, very odd that they don't show the speedometer inside the hollow circle, but on the side. Picture below for reference.

I am short (5'5") but still couldn't find a comfortable position for my left leg - too narrow a space.

Volume control scroller feels light and plasticky. Forget comparing to any other car, the one on my my Logitech mouse feels more weighted.

Upside, engine is smooth and gearshifts are seamless. Still taking it slow, so more on that later.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Slavia Review-20220930_084707.jpg  

Skoda Slavia Review-20220930_065311.jpg  

Skoda Slavia Review-20220930_065230.jpg  

Last edited by manveet : 30th September 2022 at 22:45.
manveet is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 22:47   #902
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Slavia Review

Oh, and I de-badged already
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Slavia Review-20220930_065448.jpg  

Skoda Slavia Review-20220930_070134.jpg  

Skoda Slavia Review-20220930_070016.jpg  

Last edited by manveet : 30th September 2022 at 22:48.
manveet is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 1st October 2022, 16:10   #903
BHPian

Some more weird things that I noticed and wish was better :
  • When the sub display is changed on one of the display (speedo meter or rev counter), it changes on the other display as well. For example, If I want to set Driving Data on the Speedo display and Digital Speed at the center on the Rev Counter, well, that's not possible! The sub display selected gets applied to both the displays. That means, I need to switch the settings everytime according to the mood this is one area where extra 'memory' can be added/utilised in the digital instrument cluster.
  • There is no way to change the Audio 'Mode' or 'Source' from the steering wheel itself. One has to use the touchscreen to do so. The first car where I have seen the source button missing.
  • I am not yet aware of how the cornering lamp functions. I am using Style 1.5 MT and I have not yet noticed the cornering lamps functioning. Technically, they should work even when the vehicle is not moving but it's not working.
  • A cosmetic thing : The piano black trims only look nice when the car is brand new. I would suggest PPF or some type of protection on these trims if possible as they are a HUGE scratch magnet and the shimmer and gloss is lost pretty quickly.
    I have also noticed a poorly fitted panel on the top of the touchscreen panel where this panel meets the dashboard which is not fitted properly. This can only be seen when one bends over to look at it and is not visible at the usual seating position. And the area around the touchscreen panel creeks badly upon touching.

Am I missing anything? Please let me know if I am doing something wrong in the as I could not figure out the solutions to the above mentioned points.

Though these are nitpickings, I wish that these small small things are worked upon as it could elevate the consumer experience by leaps and bounds in the long run.
Old 1st October 2022, 22:16   #904

It's frustrating to see that amongst the above 4 m cars, no car other than xuv 700 has Global NCAP rating. The likes of Creta need not bother as they give other value propositions and would get sales numbers. But Skoda, like Tata, should get the NCAP ratings and make that their USP. Zack sounds so confident, then one wonders why Skoda couldn't sponsor one for Slavia and Kushaq. Is it possible that manufacturers can pay Global NCAP to make sure that they do NOT take their vehicle for testing?! They picked up Creta and Seltos, but never bothered with Harrier and XUV 500, and looks like Slavia/Virtus also would never go through the test.
I almost booked Slavia but stopped and delaying it purely on this.
Anupkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 11:01   #905
BHPian

Looks like I may pick up the Slavia 1.5L AT finally. Talked to a couple of deals and they all seem to have ready stock (subject to colour). I had a very basic question. How do i confirm if the Slavia I get is a 1L or 1.5L. There are no markings either externally or internally. Would it be visible on the MID or somewhere else? It's a long shot that I would get billed for a 1.5L and be delivered a 1L but still it would be good to know if there is a way to confirm easily.
ulag62442 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 11:16   #906
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulag62442 View Post
Looks like I may pick up the Slavia 1.5L AT finally. Talked to a couple of deals and they all seem to have ready stock (subject to colour). I had a very basic question. How do i confirm if the Slavia I get is a 1L or 1.5L. There are no markings either externally or internally. Would it be visible on the MID or somewhere else? It's a long shot that I would get billed for a 1.5L and be delivered a 1L but still it would be good to know if there is a way to confirm easily.
Check Exhaust should be double barrel or open the hood.
Congratulations on getting your beast.
Rjeevan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 12:09   #907
BANNED

In the one litre engine it’s a three cylinder and there is lot of open space under the hood, while in the 1.5 litre it’s fully packed and it’s a four cylinder
Timeline 1967 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 14:01   #908
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupkumar View Post
But Skoda, like Tata, should get the NCAP ratings and make that their USP. Zack sounds so confident, then one wonders why Skoda couldn't sponsor one for Slavia and Kushaq. Is it possible that manufacturers can pay Global NCAP to make sure
I almost booked Slavia but stopped and delaying it purely on this.
Have mentioned this before and mentioning it here -
1. Skoda or any other manufacturer is not obliged to get any GNCAP rating. It is not a homologation organization and that doesn't affect the sales of the model.
2. Any globally managed firm will not allow a third party body like GNCAP to issue certificate to their vehicles and will not fund such a project. For Tata and Mahindra, getting such things done involves lesser hurdles.
3. GNCAP as it's description goes is a funded organisation which you can use for getting a certificate for marketing, which is exactly what Tata did for their cars. However, they didn't either send Harrrier/Safari and neither did GNCAP pick them out of their interest.
4. Funny enough, they stopped random testing of vehicles after the initial lot of cars.

My take is simple - Don't keep these ratings as a deal breaker. Of course I would not call them false but the absence doesn't really mean anything.
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 21:07   #909
Senior - BHPian

Upgraded the rubber to 225/45R17 Michelin Pilot Sport 4 - I like how the tires are now JUST till the bodyline. Ride is quieter now, but still not very confidence inspiring on the corners due to the high COG and noticeable body-roll.

Tried to keep the OD as close to stock as possible as I am keenly awaiting lowering springs to be available soon, and don't want complications due to a different dia, when those get launched.

This car is really on stilts and is begging to be lowered. Have noticed that some people love the cars ground clearance - one man's meat is another one's poison - as that's something I would change on the first opportunity.

De-chrome pending.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Slavia Review-20221003_101020.jpg  

Skoda Slavia Review-20221003_181024.jpg  

Skoda Slavia Review-20221003_101109.jpg  

Skoda Slavia Review-screenshot_20220929205004_chrome.jpg  

Last edited by manveet : 3rd October 2022 at 21:14.
manveet is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 21:47   #910
Senior - BHPian

Wow, that has changed the looks altogether. Nice looking alloys too.

On lowering springs, recently saw an insta update from Cobra suspension that springs for Virtus/Slavia are under production. So you can expect something soon.

Changing the alloys and lowering would have been the first 2 mods, if I had bought one. Hate that high GC stance.

Last edited by sunikkat : 3rd October 2022 at 21:49.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 23:51   #911
BHPian

Congrats. The car will look stellar once lowered. If you make the suspension setup stiff as well, the lower ground clearance won't be too bothersome IMHO. I have managed to touch the car a couple of times with 4(+) pax. But stiffer springs might compensate. The only Con you can say is taking the car diagonally on worst of speed breakers, assuming that you don't take your car off-road or on very rough patches.
Old 4th October 2022, 14:08   #912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
On lowering springs, recently saw an insta update from Cobra suspension that springs for Virtus/Slavia are under production. So you can expect something soon.
Yes, just got to know about them a fortnight ago, and 2-3 days back, of MTS Technik who are developing lowering springs for Virtus/Slavia. Do let me know in case you hear any movement happen on this, I'd be the first to go for it. Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAgile View Post
Congrats. The car will look stellar once lowered. If you make the suspension setup stiff as well, the lower ground clearance won't be too bothersome IMHO. I have managed to touch the car a couple of times with 4(+) pax. But stiffer springs might compensate. The only Con you can say is taking the car diagonally on worst of speed breakers, assuming that you don't take your car off-road or on very rough patches.
Thanks. Very few cases that I'd have 3+ PAX ever, or would end up on unknown roads. But TBH, the amount of gap this car has between the tires and wheel wells, I feel a 30/35mm would just normalise it, and wouldn't be so drastic after all.

Last edited by Aditya : 4th October 2022 at 17:53. Reason: Typo
manveet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 15:26   #913
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
Upgraded the rubber to 225/45R17 Michelin Pilot Sport 4 - I like how the tires are now JUST till the bodyline. Ride is quieter now, but still not very confidence inspiring on the corners due to the high COG and noticeable body-roll.

De-chrome pending.
Just imagine the lowered stance with those alloys, oh getting goosebumps. I am also eagerly waiting for the 'down to earth' update on your car. De chroming will make it totally drool worthy.
pavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 18:58   #914
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
Tried to keep the OD as close to stock as possible as I am keenly awaiting lowering springs to be available soon, and don't want complications due to a different dia, when those get launched.
The alloys look sportier. Globally these are standard size in VAG cars:
205/55/R16
225/45/R17
225/40/R18

So yours is a perfect upgrade size. I use 225/40/R18 for summer wheels and 205/55/R16 for winter wheels in my MK7 Golf. Both sizes are officially compatible.
gopi_rm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 08:21   #915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulag62442 View Post
I had a very basic question. How do i confirm if the Slavia I get is a 1L or 1.5L. There are no markings either externally or internally. Would it be visible on the MID or somewhere else? It's a long shot that I would get billed for a 1.5L and be delivered a 1L but still it would be good to know if there is a way to confirm easily.
When you have confirmed the deal (pricing, etc.) and before delivery, you can ask the dealer for the VIN/ Chassis number of the Car they have allotted for you, as well as the Tax Invoice from Skoda India to the Dealership - this Invoice will have the Car specifications mentioned.

You may also use the VIN to check the specs on the internet.

Having said that, when taking delivery, do ensure that the VIN shared with you matches the VIN on the car.

Last edited by manveet : 5th October 2022 at 08:22.
manveet is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks