Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2022, 12:27   #31
BHPian

Re: Skoda Slavia Review

Have they released a variant wise feature distribution brochure? They put up a new 'Mini Brochure' on their website which is fairly barebones just like their Active variant

SLAVIA Brochure_MINI.pdf
vagman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 12:34   #32
BHPian

Style 1.0 TSI AT with sunroof is priced approx. 70,000 more than the City ZX CVT OTR in my hometown.

Slavia advantages

1. Ground clearance
2. Bigger boot
3. Wireless Android auto and apple carplay
4. Slicker Infotainment
5. Ventilated front seats

Honda City advantages

1. Proven engine, no need for premium petrol
2. Better back seats
3. Better resale value

Would I pay 70K more for Slavia 1.0? Probably not. Higher ground clearance is tempting, but, on balance, i would prefer a more reliable drive train
buzzy_boy is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 12:48   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by divyadeeptsi View Post
The whole idea of comparing this with the Honda City is faded now, City 1.5 vtec is faster than this and on par in terms of handling.

Why would anyone pick this over the city ivtec, if they want a comfortable sedan with decent performance ?
You are right. I am in the market for a good upgrade on my Ford Aspire DCT. Had high hopes on the Salvia esp the 1.5 DSG version. But going by the 1.0 pricing (and that of the Kushaq 1.5), 1.5 would be atleast 22 lacs for the top end trim. That's a whole 5 lac higher than the City top end . Doesn't look worth the money to me.
Kickdown is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 12:50   #34
Senior - BHPian

Reviews out, variant prices announced, but where is brochure with variant-feature details?
Latheesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 12:53   #35
BHPian

Great review as usual. Very well written and beautifully detailed. I am not surprised with the pricing of Slavia. Expected it to be on the higher side given Skoda's reputation with pricing, but what surprised me was that Skoda is not willing to learn from Kushaq's mistakes. Same barebones feature list (especially that rear parking camera..its aweful) albeit at a premium pricing is not going to make it easy for Slavia.

The way VAG group is handling India 2.0 program I am afraid they might soon be joining Ford and GM on their way out.
Old 28th February 2022, 12:56   #36
BHPian

Great review from TBHP, like always.

Here is my take (that no one asked for ) as an Octavia Mk 3.5 owner.

- Skoda knows how to make cars that are very well rounded (look at their global line up)
- Skoda wanted to do a "Hyundai-Kia" with India 2.0 (inference based on early interviews with Zac when he mentioned they were observing / benchmarking with the Koreans very closely)
- The India 2.0 at this point in time, is neither the Skoda we know of (Quality, Build, Luxury, Safety) nor the competition (Features, Perceived feel, Finesses, Value).
- The only saving grace is the international engine line up (best in class); and thankfully, the EU driving dynamics (for the most part)
- My worry is that in the long term Skoda's brand values will become confusing. None of the cars are NCAP rated yet (so Safety while expected to be good, is a question mark). The touch and feel has taken a nose dive; the pricing for a Made in India product is not great and the cars will likely not age as well as their older siblings.
- Hopefully Skoda would create a segment for a new set of "enthusiasts" who will buy it on performance and dynamics mostly?
- But that won't be enough. Kia and Hyundai are too close to "winning" the enthusiasts and have already won the mass market buyers.
- As someone said, Skoda needs to figure out how to make their best cars cheaper in India than make un-Skoda like cars at a cheaper price point.
- The ICE market is coming to an end, so this intermediate India 2.0 may keep them relevant; but for EVs Skoda will do themselves a favour by developing Global cars that can be specced and produced at varied costs across the globe.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by srvshaun : 28th February 2022 at 13:00.
srvshaun is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 13:00   #37
BHPian

Will be interesting to know the findings of a serious sedan buyer when City is compared head on with Slavia.

Slightly off topic, but the silence on this thread post price reveal compared to the Kushaq thread must pinch Skoda and their die-hard fans. If the response is same in showrooms, discounts are likely to be the flavor of the season. I still feel Skoda should have gone aggressive on Kushaq for the subsequent models to build on customer traction. What has happened is completely reverse of this.
Old 28th February 2022, 13:01   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Top end 1.0AT in Bangalore is at the 19L mark OTR. That's slightly above the Honda City ZX CVT. I feel this is a sort of justified pricing. Waiting for the prices of the 1.5 manual and AT.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 13:11   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
Usual set of window and mirror controls.

So, the Slavia doesn't seem to be affected by the global "Chip shortage problem", as we can see electrically foldable ORVMS here?
TT-S is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 13:23   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashi053 View Post
Wonderful review.

Can you please compare the driving dynamics of Kushaq vs Slavia to help me understand how much its worth moving towards Seadan for the fun to drive factor?

Why isn't the 1L AT review is not done yet? I understand 1.5L will be launching on 3rd March.

Zigwheels and Autocar has done the 1L AT review. They seem to think it behaves much better compared to how it does in Rapid and Kushaq. But see it for yourself to make your opinion.
creative420 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 13:34   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvshaun View Post
Great review from TBHP, like always.

Here is my take (that no one asked for ) as an Octavia Mk 3.5 owner.

- Skoda knows how to make cars that are very well rounded (look at their global line up)
- Skoda wanted to do a "Hyundai-Kia" with India 2.0 (inference based on early interviews with Zac when he mentioned they were observing / benchmarking with the Koreans very closely)
- The India 2.0 at this point in time, is neither the Skoda we know of (Quality, Build, Luxury, Safety) nor the competition (Features, Perceived feel, Finesses, Value).
- The only saving grace is the international engine line up (best in class); and thankfully, the EU driving dynamics (for the most part)
- My worry is that in the long term Skoda's brand values will become confusing. None of the cars are NCAP rated yet (so Safety while expected to be good, is a question mark). The touch and feel has taken a nose dive; the pricing for a Made in India product is not great and the cars will likely not age as well as their older siblings.
- Hopefully Skoda would create a segment for a new set of "enthusiasts" who will buy it on performance and dynamics mostly?
- But that won't be enough. Kia and Hyundai are too close to "winning" the enthusiasts and have already won the mass market buyers.
- As someone said, Skoda needs to figure out how to make their best cars cheaper in India than make un-Skoda like cars at a cheaper price point.
- The ICE market is coming to an end, so this intermediate India 2.0 may keep them relevant; but for EVs Skoda will do themselves a favour by developing Global cars that can be specced and produced at varied costs across the globe.

Thanks for reading!
I agree with all the points made. Being a former Skoda Laura and a current MkIII Octavia owner myself, I just feel sad looking at how Skoda is slaying the brand name by releasing such average entry level products in the Indian market.
Except for the TeamBHP review, all the other major auto magazines are singing praises of how good the car is with a hint of criticism here and there. Come on guys, you need to be brutal against companies if you don't want them to release such average products in the future.
We all know how well built and sorted Skoda cars used to be and the two new siblings are no match to those.

Last edited by umairalvi : 28th February 2022 at 13:35.
umairalvi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 13:38   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Zigwheels and Autocar has done the 1L AT review. They seem to think it behaves much better compared to how it does in Rapid and Kushaq. But see it for yourself to make your opinion.
From reviews, Rapid was in an altogether different league in driving dynamics, sharpness and handling. But, 1L AT seems to be better at masking the turbo lag than the manual transmission in Slavia, and probably is the one to go for.

The current Octavia is tuned for comfort than the earlier generation, and the Slavia is further comfort oriented than Rapid.

The message I read on the wall is: The 1L Slavia is a well packaged, slightly overpriced family sedan. Enthusiasts (at Team-Bhp) look elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umairalvi View Post
Except for the TeamBHP review, all the other major auto magazines are singing praises of how good the car is with a hint of criticism here and there.
I too got this feeling and kudos to the team at Team-Bhp. While, it may be subjective, unlike here, some reviewers have claimed that clutch is light and others that back seat can easily fit 3 adults for long drives etc..

The review at this forum is the benchmark on how to give an honest opinion on a new product.

Last edited by stringbh : 28th February 2022 at 13:55. Reason: multiquote
stringbh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 13:41   #43
BHPian

Top class review as usual. Kudos to the review team!

My opinion - Well, this Slavia ain't the true Skoda (History repeating again - Kushaq, Taigun and now Slavia). It's just another sedan in the market that is just competing with others in this segment. The true DNA of Skoda is compromised - build quality, ride & handling, and performance. Who buys a Skoda for the features, space, etc. Looks are anyway subjective (It's good looking for me though). Of course, it is better than a Ciaz and Verna - but seriously Skoda? Your benchmark is Ciaz and Verna? I am always ready to pay the extra premium of a lakh or 2 for the Skoda what it is. But the extra premium of 20+ lakhs ONR for Slavia's top end is in no way justified. Disappointed but not heartbroken!

Skoda may have a winner here which appeals to the mass market. But it loses out the enthusiast segment, who are the true brand bearers of Skoda.
Livnletcarsliv is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 14:15   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1agrawal View Post
Skoda has priced Slavia slightly higher than Honda City which is already priced at a premium. I was eagerly waiting for the prices are am not happy with it. I think the prices are a tad too high. 1.0 TSI Manual with Sunroof will be about 17.5 on-road in Bengaluru which is about 40k more than the City ZX manual.
For me, if Slavia has a clear edge in terms of driving over City then only I will go for it. Skoda is getting too optimistic. Kushaq didn't do that well, lukewarm response to Slavia still they are pricing it high.
And Honda City is already running 40-50k cash discount here in Navi Mumbai. Good luck to Skoda!
mahesh_sn is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 14:23   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbh View Post
The message I read on the wall is: The 1L Slavia is a well packaged, slightly overpriced family sedan. Enthusiasts (at Team-Bhp) look elsewhere.
Challenge is what is 'elsewhere'? Now with Rapid, Vento and Polo going there isn't anything which is really fun to drive in ~ 15 lakhs.

Kushaq / Taigun is fun in its own level - so compared to Kushaq 1 TSI how good is Slavia 1 TSI in terms of driving pleasure?
sunikkat is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks