Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2022, 14:33   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Slavia Review

Disappointed with the pricing from Skoda. I was expecting the 1.0TSI to undercut 5th gen. Honda City and 1.5TSI to be priced similar to that of the 5th gen. Honda City.
Old 28th February 2022, 14:39   #47
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Slavia 1.0 L TSI Performance

Quote:
The 1.0 Slavia despatches the 100kph mark from rest in an impressive 11.1 seconds and in our third and fourth gear acceleration tests, it’s even quicker than the Honda City
Skoda Slavia Review-smartselect_20220228143541_chrome.jpg

Source
Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 14:49   #48
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Skoda seems to have some "next level" confidence in either the new Slavia or stupidity of the customer. They price the 1.0L top variant at premium to the City top variant. On top of that City is now coming with a 50K discount.

What exactly does 1.0 Style AT(with Sunroof ) model have compared to the City ZX other than the ground clearance? I am guessing the mileage will the lower on highways since the engine is smaller.

With the 1.5, they could have talked about a better engine and DSG transmission. But here?

Last edited by m8002? : 28th February 2022 at 15:10.
m8002? is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 15:00   #49
BHPian

I think it's better to wait and watch for the new VAG cars. Previously,we used to get their global cars, albeit older gen ones. With the new platform, they seem to go the Ford way, which is a bit dangerous. As most of us are thinking, the only USP for VAG was their premium build and engineering. Have they watered down the product too much,or are they still well engineered at the core? Hope it is the latter,or it is better to go with a Honda City.
wantarangerover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 15:10   #50
BHPian

Great review. Well sorted out vehicle, when i look at it as a Vento owner from 2011!!!

Looks great and propotional. Both blue and Red looks awesome. Performance, Handling, space, sun roof - all good!. Cannot compare the music system to then Vento that had a 4 speaker set up. this one has 8 and sub woofer - great for the segment!. Not sure which sedan gives extended boot with the ability to bring the rear seats down.. Cool!

But yes, price is now 20L on road compared to 11L on road for a Vento/Rapid 10 years back when it was launched

1.5L with 7speed DSG should be the one to go for I suppose. Wonder what would be the price difference between 1.0 and 1.5L ones..
motorhead5 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 15:14   #51
BHPian

Kushaq has unladen ground clearance of 188 mm
Slavia has unladen ground clearance of 179 mm

Pricing of Kushaq is higher than slavia ranging 30K to 90K. So you get reasonably good ground clearance and a big boot in slavia at a better price. Being a sedan Slavia should be having better driving dynamics too. Does it make sense to go for Slavia than Kushaq?

Last edited by guruji : 28th February 2022 at 15:15. Reason: correct spelling.
guruji is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 15:25   #52

Great review as always!

I expected Skoda to surprise us with the pricing but Skoda being Skoda, well....they clearly didn't learn anything from the Kushaq.

The Honda City may have slightly lesser features but what it does provide is amazing quality of materials used inside the cabin. It is a proper sedan IMO. Skoda should have kept City in mind while developing the Slavia.

As contrary to what most people say about the Honda City being over-priced, I actually find it to be priced very well ( especially the V CVT variant ) if compared to the faux SUVs of today. With the arrival of Slavia, the City seems as a much better option more than ever now.

The top variants of Slavia 1.0L TSI are already overpriced and personally, for me I would never choose this vehicle over the City.

Another concern for me is what becomes of the Slavia 1.5 TSI when the Honda City Hybrid is going to be launched. I dont even know why an average customer will even consider the 1.5 over an incredibly fuel efficient variant of an already well proven and well appreciated vehicle.
nd26 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 15:55   #53
BHPian

I think this car is even more of a reason not to buy the Kushaq than to buy a Honda City! Even the GC issue is fairly covered and it looks much bigger than the puny Kushaq. Honestly scratching my head as to why I would buy a higher priced Kushaq/Taigun over the Slavia/Virtus!
nitkel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 15:58   #54
BHPian

0-100 in 11 secs is strictly average.

How much is this heavier than the Rapid?

Aren't the extra 5bhp and 8nm torque enough to propel this to 100kmph as quick as the outgoing 15 yr old PQ platform based Rapid which easily used to do in 9.7 secs. Heck, my Polo TSI is at least 1.5 sec faster.

Those who bought Rapid tsi, especially the rider variant are too lucky to be enjoying faster with way better handling characteristics.

Lets see in 2 days how the 1.5 TSI Slavia performs.

Attachment 2278313

Source [/quote]

Last edited by divyadeeptsi : 28th February 2022 at 16:00.
divyadeeptsi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 16:35   #55
BHPian

Contrary to the popular opinions here, I think Slavia is priced well. My worry was that with the comparison to Octavia first-gen, Skoda was going to price it in a different league, as it did with the new Octavia. Slavia being a new car, fresh design, new platform, and Skoda being Skoda will not undercut Japanese or Koreans.
The good thing is Slavia top-end being a bigger car, more interior space, more boot space is still priced ~1 lakh below top-end Kushaq.
Meph1st0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 16:47   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by divyadeeptsi View Post
How much is this heavier than the Rapid?

Aren't the extra 5bhp and 8nm torque enough to propel this to 100kmph as quick as the outgoing 15 yr old PQ platform based Rapid which easily used to do in 9.7 secs. Heck, my Polo TSI is at least 1.5 sec faster.
I think bolded part of the review explains this - "The Slavia's 1.0 TSI is the same engine that we saw in the Rapid 1.0 TSI, however in a different state of tune. Right off the bat, the key difference is that in the Slavia, it makes more power. However, while the Rapid was meant to be driven hard, the Slavia is tuned more towards comfort."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meph1st0 View Post
Contrary to the popular opinions here, I think Slavia is priced well.
+1
From my perspective Slavia is priced okay too.
There was no way Skoda was going to undercut City, it was always expected to price on par or slightly higher than City.
sunikkat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 17:20   #57
KPR
BANNED

Teambhp official review of any car will start with pros and then cons list. It will give a quick taste of a car. I don't see that in this review. Now we have to comprehend from the write up. This seems to be a deviation from Teambhp style of reviewing a new car. Why?
KPR is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 17:28   #58
BHPian

Variant Wise feature distribution is out!

Name:  1.PNG
Views: 2536
Size:  119.7 KB

Name:  2.PNG
Views: 2600
Size:  119.5 KB

Name:  3.PNG
Views: 2633
Size:  117.3 KB
vagman is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 18:13   #59
Senior - BHPian

Active lands in no mans land. 1L TSI Ambition variant is comparable to City base variant V, but OTR difference is ~ 1.5 Lakhs.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 18:17   #60
Senior - BHPian

This car has all the attributes of a handsome corporate employee who can put up a show as a neatly dressed individual during weekdays and can double up as a model over weekends with some subtle tweaks with de-chroming

But, I have a question for our Mods!

Aren’t you bored driving the same engine across different models now from Skoda now that they’re not offering their sweet strong diesels anymore, do you drive their new models with a fresh mindset or you already know what to expect from those 2 set of engines? Just a thought that crossed my mind as I am typing here. I mean to ask, will you be excited each time you get an invitation from Skoda for new model review? In fact, I am aware it’s mostly the same across those companies that withdrew diesel offering and continued with just one or two combination of petrol line-up.

Last edited by gururajrv : 28th February 2022 at 18:19.
gururajrv is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks