Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2022, 16:41   #316
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Slavia Review

^^^ The torque multiplication aspect of the 1.0 AT is visible in the run upto ~70 Kmph, post which perhaps the transmission losses catch up and lose it to the 1.0 MT.

But why is MT 1.5 faster than the ultra advanced DSG?! May as well install a CVT and call it a day.
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2022, 18:03   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
^^^ The torque multiplication aspect of the 1.0 AT is visible in the run upto ~70 Kmph, post which perhaps the transmission losses catch up and lose it to the 1.0 MT.

But why is MT 1.5 faster than the ultra advanced DSG?! May as well install a CVT and call it a day.
DSG launch are always slower, might be to do with conservative low end to reduce DSG wear and tear. Plus the weight difference, may be.

On similar note, MK3 Octavia TDI DSG has a 0 to 100 timings of 9.1 secs, against TDI MT timings of 8.6 secs. So not very surprising.
sunikkat is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th April 2022, 20:13   #318
Distinguished - BHPian

Test Drive Experience of Skoda Slavia 1.0 TSI MT

I test drove the Skoda Slavia 1.0 TSI manual today. Here are my observations.

Note: The comparisons are from my ownership experience of Rapid 1.6 TDI/ Vento 1.5 TDI/ polo 1.6 GT TDI in the extended family & driving the Polo 1.0 TSI MT.

Good :

* Looks & Road Presence

Skoda Slavia Review-20220415_171321.jpg

The Slavia is the longest and widest in its segment and it clearly shows in its presence. The car is proportionate and elegant from the sides and rear three quarters. I personally am not a fan of that large front grill though.

Specially in white shade, it looked like a D segment car from the side view

Skoda Slavia Review-20220415_170202.jpg

The Rapid, still looks better (personally) from the front. The Pic also shows that Slavia is clearly one size larger than the Rapid.

Skoda Slavia Review-20220415_170735.jpg

* Ergonomics & Space

The front seats were very comfortable, both adjustable for height. The side bolstering was supportive and nice. Cushioning was perfect too. The steering adjustable for rake and reach, adjustable front armrest make it very easy to find the ideal driving position.

Rear seats are also nicely contoured and provides enough support. Underthigh support is a bit lacking IMO. The large size definitely translates into better space than the Rapid. I don't think even a family of 6 footers would complain in the Slavia. That being said, the smaller City & Ciaz offer better rear space.

The boot is large (largest in segment) and Skoda provides a full size steel wheel for the spare

* Engine - Power as well as NVH

Though I was looking forward to driving the 1.5 TSI MT, it was unavailable as the demand for the car is pretty low when compared to the 1.0 TSI. Understandable as the 1.5 is the most expensive and is being provided only in the most expensive Style variant.

The 1.0 TSI is no stranger to me. I have enjoyed it thoroughly in the Polo 1.0 TSI. In the Slavia though, it feels a bit mature, or in other words, slightly less aggressive than what I found it to be in the Polo. It might be due to the additional heft of the Slavia or might be due to different engine tune by Skoda or both. I was impressed with the NVH too. It is very refined unless you are being enthusiastic. Even then, it isn't coarse. In my experience, the 1.0 tsi is the most refined 3 cylinder petrol I have driven.

100 kmph is at approx 2200 RPM in 6th gear, which is great for calm highway cruising as well as for fuel efficiency.

1.0 tsi will be more than adequate for 90% of our population.

* Ride quality

The Slavia has a suspension that is tuned for comfort. It is soft and takes road undulations beautifully without transmitting much movement inside the cabin. It can be a perfect family car, even for elderly citizens over long distances. The car comes with 205 section 16 inch wheels. Ride quality is an area where Slavia excels over the Rapid. Mind you, Rapid was one comfortable car in its own right, with a perfectly tuned suspension.

Bad :

* Doesn't feel like a typical Skoda

Slavia did not feel like the Rapid/vento/polo. The typical heft/solid nature of the doors were clearly missing. The doors no more feel solid, nor does it close with that famous 'thud'. While it is no scientific indicator/measure of a car's safety, people who owned skoda/VW cars in the past will definitely miss that solid feel.

The difference was tangible as I had the Rapid standing besides the Slavia. Even the kushaq doors felt more solid (still lighter than the rapid). Even plastics at certain areas felt cheap. Plastics in polo/rapid were hard everywhere, but did not feel cheap. In Slavia though, certain plastics on the dash as well as the central cup holders felt cheap. The height adjust lever in the drivers seat was already squeaking.

There were no rattles though. The interior layout is neat and classy too

Skoda Slavia Review-20220415_170243.jpg

* Steering & handling

The steering feels light at city speeds, which is a good thing. IMO it did not weigh as much with speeds. It remains light at triple digit speeds and there is very little feedback as well. The soft suspension doesn't help matters either. The Rapid used to be a driver's choice C2 sedan in the past. Sadly, the Slavia doesn't carry forward the baton as a driver's car.

* Egress

The negative of rapid has been carried over here too. The door sills are tall. It takes getting used to, to get out without scraping your foot.

Where Slavia is superior to Rapid:

* Space
* Comfort
* Features

Where Rapid is superior to Slavia:

* Driving dynamics

Conclusion

Slavia is a very good choice if you are among the very few people who prefer sedans today. It is spacious, comfortable, refined, fast and looks elegant. It is infact a great choice for the chauffeur driven folks.

If you ask me whether it is a good replacement for a Rapid owner who prefers driving dynamics, I would say no. The same 1.0 tsi MT made me inherently push the Polo hard, while in Slavia, the overall dynamics of the car made me drive gentler. Slavia definitely doesn't connect as well as a Rapid or a vento/polo.

Slavia in the silver shade

Skoda Slavia Review-20220415_173301.jpg

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 15th April 2022 at 20:29.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 15th April 2022, 21:04   #319
BHPian

Great review and initial ownership experience of your Slavia. Do let us know any positives and negatives in upcoming days and also congratulations for the lovely choice.

Happy motoring!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayush_atish View Post
Hi fellas,

This will be my first post on team BHP and I want to thank all the mods for accepting me here. Apologies if I make any mistakes. Feel free to correct me I am never offended

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th April 2022 at 09:12. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Please quote only the relevant bits from a large post as it inconveniences small screen users. Thanks!
joeva1706 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2022, 22:00   #320

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeva1706 View Post
Great review and initial ownership experience of your Slavia. Do let us know any positives and negatives in upcoming days and also congratulations for the lovely choice.

Happy motoring!!

[/i]
Hey joeva1706,

Surely, i will keep our Bhp'ians updated.

I must say it's sound system is amazing though. Bass heavy but really impressed considering the fact that it's Skoda sound whereby other manufacturers are resorting to the likes of Bose, Harman and JBL.

One thing I really really miss is the option to keep my sunglasses. There is no sunglass holder. No deal breaker but something I wanted. My older verna had one and all my other cars have it..

Drive wise this car is sorted. It has everything that you want. Be it in city or Highway, trust me for normal commute it does the job fairly well.

I'll keep posting more.

Thank you for your comment and for all others for reading my review.
Ayush_atish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2022, 12:21   #321

Hi I'm Jithin, new to Team BHP.
I pre-book skoda slavia 1.5 Red on January,there is a huge delay in delivery of the vehicle.
My loan got approved on 25th February and i paid rest if the amount in showroom. My first installment of loan started on march 15th. Yesterday was the second installment. Still showroom people don't know any details of the delivery. I heard from someone that my loan payment should start only after delivery of the vehicle. What should i do?? Please give an insight regarding this.
Showroom - Malayalam skoda, trivandrum, kerala
Jithinjj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2022, 14:51   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeva1706 View Post
Skoda Slavia currently has the highest waiting period of almost 4 months

Sedans With Highest Waiting Period [April 2022]- Tigor, Slavia & More

Read more at: https://gaadiwaadi.com/sedans-with-h...r-slavia-more/

Attachment 2296809
For Slavia, I spoke to Sales Manager of a big dealership in Bengaluru yesterday. The waiting period is from 8-12 weeks depending upon the variant & the colour chosen. Similar period was quoted by another dealer. Carbon Steel have the longest waiting period followed by Blue. Still, no dealer quoted 16+ weeks as the waiting period. No sure whether this information is sourced from by this site. Skoda has received 13K bookings for Slavia till now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jithinjj View Post
I pre-book skoda slavia 1.5 Red on January,there is a huge delay in delivery of the vehicle.
My loan got approved on 25th February and i paid rest if the amount in showroom. My first installment of loan started on march 15th. Yesterday was the second installment. Still showroom people don't know any details of the delivery. I heard from someone that my loan payment should start only after delivery of the vehicle. What should i do?? Please give an insight regarding this.
Showroom - Malayalam skoda, trivandrum, kerala
I am a bit surprised! The prices for 1.5 were revealed on 2nd March. Thereafter only the dealers can provide you with the price breakup & proforma invoice that form the basis for Loan disbursement. The bank fund only up to 90% of the on-road & they would need these documents to decide how much to fund. In your case, I believe there was a slip of process from the Bank's side. It's a good practice to pay up only after PDI is completed. In your case, as the dealership has got the full amount without actually delivering the goods, they should ideally pay the interest part of the EMI till they deliver (I know it would be tough). Else, ask them to deliver within a week or so.

Last edited by vb-saan : 17th April 2022 at 16:12. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another.
amit1agrawal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2022, 15:17   #323
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jithinjj View Post
Perhaps you should have never made the payment so early. The 1.5 has supply issues due to the Russia Ukraine war and deliveries are very limited or nil AFAIK. There is no sign of my car either Hence I am still confused what to do since I expected the car to be delivered in this month.

But for me, I only have paid the booking amount. I have told the dealer that I would pay only after they allocate a car to me and pay in full only after I see the car in person. So for now, its only waiting and watching.
audioholic is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th April 2022, 15:31   #324

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1agrawal View Post
I am a bit surprised! The prices for 1.5 were revealed on 2nd March. Thereafter only the dealers can provide you with the price breakup & proforma invoice that form the basis for Loan disbursement. The bank fund only up to 90% of the on-road & they would need these documents to decide how much to fund. In your case, I believe there was a slip of process from the Bank's side. It's a good practice to pay up only after PDI is completed. In your case, as the dealership has got the full amount without actually delivering the goods, they should ideally pay the interest part of the EMI till they deliver (I know it would be tough). Else, ask them to deliver within a week or so.
Thankyou for your reply.
In think i will ask them to pay the interest part of loan. From bank they calculated the loan according to the price of kushaq and got approved. I really don't know how they done that. And it was promised that they will deliver the vehicle before the first installment. I am in a huge dilemma. I will try talking to the dealership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Perhaps you should have never made the payment so early. The 1.5 has supply issues due to the Russia Ukraine war and deliveries are very limited or nil AFAIK. There is no sign of my car either Hence I am still confused what to do since I expected the car to be delivered in this month.

But for me, I only have paid the booking amount. I have told the dealer that I would pay only after they allocate a car to me and pay in full only after I see the car in person. So for now, its only waiting and watching.
I know i should have done the same, but they convinced me that they will deliver the vehicle before the first instalment. Totally helpless here.

Last edited by vb-saan : 17th April 2022 at 16:10. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another.
Jithinjj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2022, 16:26   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post

I am in the same boat. Paid the booking amount 4 weeks back with a waiting period of 4-5 weeks. I was informed yesterday that it will take another 2-3 weeks; the vehicle is not delivered yet for those who booked in Feb itself. It seems Skoda was not prepared for so many bookings; things only got compounded due to the Russia Ukraine war.
amit1agrawal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 12:09   #326
BHPian

Was able to get the Blue Ambition AT within 4-5 days last week. It seems that the demand on this version is lower than Style.
Old 19th April 2022, 12:15   #327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Compared to the price list shared on Team-BHP

Attachment 2278161

]
Registration & Tax in Kolkata for the 1.0L Style with sunroof is showing at Rs 78000.

Which city is it Rs. 2.2L?
Old 19th April 2022, 12:59   #328
BHPian

I would like you to draw comparison between 1.0 TSI & 1.6TDI in a more elaborate way.

I’ve been a huge fan of VW 1.6 & 1.5 TDI, but when the time came for me to buy my own sadly both of them were discontinued so I bought 1.0 TSI Polo MT.

How does 1.0 TSI compare with 1.6 GT TDI in terms of acceleration, performance, the pull / rush.

I feel the TSI isn’t as explosive as the 1.6 TDI yet it does better in acceleration figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post

Test Drive Experience of Skoda Slavia 1.0 TSI MT

Note: The comparisons are from my ownership experience of Rapid 1.6 TDI/ Vento 1.5 TDI/ polo 1.6 GT TDI in the extended family & driving the Polo 1.0 TSI MT.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 19th April 2022 at 14:18. Reason: quote tags
Old 19th April 2022, 13:48   #329
Senior - BHPian

Is the Skoda Slavia 1.5 TSI the spiritual successor to the first gen Octavia vRS?

Skoda Slavia Review-20220419_134835.jpg

Venkatesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 15:21   #330
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by divyadeeptsi View Post
I would like you to draw comparison between 1.0 TSI & 1.6TDI in a more elaborate way.

I feel the TSI isn’t as explosive as the 1.6 TDI yet it does better in acceleration figures.
Both the engines are gems. The TSI is quicker to 100 kmph but the 1.6 TDI felt faster and was more enjoyable to drive.

It's my personal opinion which might be influenced by that superior torque(250 Nm) from the 1.6 diesel which was strongly felt past 2000 rpm. Even their 1.5 diesel doesn't match the 1.6 in that area. Low end torque was also better in the 1.6/1.5 TDI

I did not have the chance to test the top end of the 1.0 TSI. I have extensively driven the 1.2 TSI though, and felt the 1.2 TSI wasn't as strong as the 1.6/1.5 TDI when it came to the top end performance. Blame the DSG which doesn't hold on to higher RPM in the 1.2 TSI. From what I have experienced, the 1.0 TSI will be as good as the diesels in the top end too.

Only thing the 1.0 TSI sucks at, will be in the fuel efficiency area. 1.6 TDI, despite driving real hard on the highway, used to return 15+ kmpl. At same driving conditions, I don't expect the 1.0 TSI to even touch double digit FE figures (1.2 TSI returned 8 kmpl)

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 19th April 2022 at 15:28.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed