Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2022, 13:20   #781
BHPian

Re: Skoda Slavia Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsristi View Post

A BIG Thank you to All

I would like to start this first post with a big THANK YOU to Admin for making me a part of this family. Secondly, Thank You to everyone in this forum for the immense meticulous help that you all have been providing to the likes of me in educating about cars and how to fall in love with them.
Congratulations on buying the perfect engine-gearbox combo! No DSG worries going forward.

I picked a preowned Superb 1.8 TSi in MT guise couple of months back and it is a hoot to drive. I could relate to most of your driving experience. Off late, I see a lot of VAG owners not hesitating to buy another VAG car, to enjoy the driving dynamics, at the same time, knowing fully that the ownership won’t be as peaceful as Japanese cars.

Here’s wishing you 1,00,000 km / 5 plus years of peaceful ownership!
RJ2285 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 14:20   #782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAgile View Post
Congrats on your purchase. This powertrain is powerful yet refined at the same time. As you mentioned that you have also experienced the Civic, assuming that civic was a MT too, do tell that how do you feel driving a turbo manual and what difference do you actually feel .

I haven't tried this yet but try disabling the rain dependent light on your touchscreen system in settings. That might not give you the warning as soon as it starts to rain. But I too find these stubborn warnings, like the speed warning or this "Turn on the Headlamps" warning a bit too intrusive. VW/Skoda should've either integrated these into the middle portion of the speedo or rev counter where other info is displayed, or should've given an option to press OK button or the scroll wheel on steering wheel as to acknowledge the warning and remove it from the display.
Thanks FrAgile!

Well need to take a walk on the memory lane here. You are correct in stating I was driving a Civic MT.
My comparison draw was primarily at cruising speeds at 90 to 110 kmph in Slavia.

At these cruising speeds, I feel I am back in my Civic. Civic used to run at these speeds at an upward rpm of 2000, however Slavia does this under 2000.

Civic was a lean machine. The power used to be always linear given a NA powertrain. There was never any power surge, however it built up speed up to 120 kmph quite fast, but nowhere close to Slavia.

Also, I loved the Gear stick of Civic more than Slavia. It was comparatively a short shifter.

Slavia has a dual personality. At RPMS within 2000, it behaves like a gentleman. It picks up pace gradually but its very brisk. Beyond that RPM, someone like me needs to get used to to its power surge. This car is lighter than Civic and has way more power. I hope I am able to draw a picture here. Even though its explodes post 2000, It doesn't roar like my Vento. The engine noise is still very calm. It feels like "Is that the best you can do?" And that is how I feel even more I am back on a civic with more grunt.
samsristi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 14:24   #783
BHPian

Quote:

A BIG Thank you to All

Small Niggles

The rear-view camera failed to activate a few times. By cancelling the message and reengaging the reverse it came back.
Congratulations on the new ride; am sure 1.5 TSI with MT is a gem to drive. For the first few days, I had to be careful with the accelerator, a slight push, and the car surges ahead. It's been 6 weeks & still learning to keep it light. The engine is so silent & refind below 3k rpm; I haven't gone beyond it as it's still in the run-in period. Overall, the car is super smooth to drive & DSG gearbox is tuned conservatively for 0-30 which helps in city traffic.
It happens with my Slavia also which comes with the 8-inch unit. It fails for 1/5 times. Next time, I will take a pic and contact the SA to check whether there is a fix already. BTW, the unit shows that a software update is due. Did you update it? I haven't tried updating it as I don't want to mess up anything in the new car.
amit1agrawal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 14:35   #784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Given your experience with the build quality of the vento and run-ins with other vehicles, some of them pretty serious, how did you find the build quality of the Slavia overall?
Well its a mixed bag. The bonnet of this car flexes a bit at the front. This was not the case in my Vento. This is not the case in Kushaq too. Having said that, the bonnet is heavier than Vento. May the metal support under the bonnet is stronger. Not sure.

The Fenders have relatively the same flex. May be 5% more flex than Vento. The door flex is same. However the assuring thud feeling in Vento was higher. This car does have that thud but not the same level of assurance. May be they have got rid of the cross bars that was there as a safety measure in Vento since we have Airbags now.

The Boot lid is better than Vento.

From perspective interior, this is where the tank feeling is completely gone. I could have cracked a coconut open on the dashboard. My son used to sit on the rear armrest who is 10 years old during long drives to get a better view and also to get a little naughty. Forget these in Slavia. Although it feels a lot more plush, it does not feel German anymore. Thanks to us.

Thanks for your wishes Amit! I need to check for that SW update. Right now only listening to engine music

Thanks RJ!.. I cannot imagine what that i.8 TSI MT is like... I am sure you are enjoying every second of its drive!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
Indeed. Very well noted. Hopefully the new ride is not as attractive to other big vehicles and insurance companies.
Very true. I hope it finds peace with a new owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSI47 View Post
Congratulations on your new machine. These engines make you fall in love for driving again. I had the same experience when I upgrade to Polo 1.0 Tsi MT from a tiago and ritz. So much was the pull that even after having driving experience of 9+ yrs I took almost a week to understand and handle the power
Also do try the XP95 petrol, as far as I know the recommended fuel is 95ron and it makes a whole lot of difference than normal petrol.
Cheers!
Thank you TSI47 I will try XP95 on my Goa trip

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Aditya : 1st September 2022 at 21:49. Reason: Back to back posts merged
samsristi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 23:25   #785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

At these cruising speeds, I feel I am back in my Civic. Civic used to run at these speeds at an upward rpm of 2000, however Slavia does this under 2000.
DAMN!! These turbo engines are making my TeamBHP handle obsolete!! 😂

I had chosen that name, because 2000 rpm used to be the place where the action started!!
2000rpm is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 13:30   #786
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The auto headlamps warning comes up when it starts to rain in Bangalore in an overcast situation and it doesn’t budge from the MID display. I must switch on the lights to get rid of it, which is annoying. I mean who gave the 2 Million, you or me?
I believe you must be manually controlling the headlights. Thats when the prompt pops up when it is dark or raining if you haven't turned on the headlights. However I guess this is configurable. In light settings in the audio system, there is an option for headlights turning on during rainy weather. You can uncheck this option and then maybe these warnings might stop.
Old 4th August 2022, 17:32   #787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I believe you must be manually controlling the headlights. Thats when the prompt pops up when it is dark or raining if you haven't turned on the headlights. However I guess this is configurable. In light settings in the audio system, there is an option for headlights turning on during rainy weather. You can uncheck this option and then maybe these warnings might stop.
Thanks for the tip Audioholic. I will give it a try. One thing I have noticed is that that this message pops up even under overcast conditions when there is no rain.
Old 4th August 2022, 19:53   #788
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the tip Audioholic. I will give it a try. One thing I have noticed is that that this message pops up even under overcast conditions when there is no rain.
In Virtus, the warning can be dismissed by pressing the OK button. Slavia does not have that key but I think the right side scroller, if pressed acts as ok button. So you can give it a try.

I faced the same issue in Virtus, the light warning would come on and at times when I did not want to switch on the headlamps. The warning takes up half the space of digital cluster and MID is pretty much useless with such warnings in place. I accidently discovered that the warnings can be dismissed by pressing ok button, which was such a relief.
Old 4th August 2022, 20:13   #789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstguri View Post
In Virtus, the warning can be dismissed by pressing the OK button. Slavia does not have that key but I think the right side scroller, if pressed acts as ok button. So you can give it a try.

I faced the same issue in Virtus, the light warning would come on and at times when I did not want to switch on the headlamps. The warning takes up half the space of digital cluster and MID is pretty much useless with such warnings in place. I accidently discovered that the warnings can be dismissed by pressing ok button, which was such a relief.
Thanks a ton Firsthuri. Pressing the right scroller helps to get rid of that message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
AC is a bit of a disappointment sincerely. It works very well as long as the car is parked in shade (cools the cabin in few mins). If the car is parked in open (in Chennai weather), it takes 15-20mins to cool the cabin no matter what. I am not talking here about AUTO AC. I am talking here about keeping the AC manually at 16C with the blower at full speed in recirculation mode with ventilated seats also ON.
Did you try opening the sun roof and one window? I usually do this for a minute when I warm up the engine at the time of cold start. The cabin gets cooled by the time I roll.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Aditya : 1st September 2022 at 21:51. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 6th August 2022, 12:38   #790
BHPian

Hey members, hope you all are doing well!
I was just surfing YouTube and I found a video made by Mr.Ramesh that claims to solve the AC issues in Taigun/Virtus/Kushaq/Slavia 1.0L. The points he said in the video seem to be true! Can any Slavia owner try this method and check whether the cooling issue still persists or not? If it works, please do tell and also circulate this video as much as possible.

TechnoBloop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 13:09   #791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoBloop View Post
Hey members, hope you all are doing well!
I was just surfing YouTube and I found a video made by Mr.Ramesh that claims to solve the AC issues in Taigun/Virtus/Kushaq/Slavia 1.0L. The points he said in the video seem to be true! Can any Slavia owner try this method and check whether the cooling issue still persists or not? If it works, please do tell and also circulate this video as much as possible.

https://Youtu.be/yhaRJ_igFWg
It's not that recirculation is switched off in auto. It's just in auto.....which means recirculation will switch automatically between fresh air and recirculation according to programmed logic. Once you manually switch it in recirculation/fresh air, it'll stay in that mode.
This is how it is in all cars of the world where recirculation is also auto. Some cars like Hyundai don't control recirculation in auto. So in those cars whichever mode you select stays put. But in VW, Fiat and many others, recirculation is also in auto. And when the car has recirculation also controlled by auto mode, the air will change to fresh air when compressor cuts off to prevent misting up of windows.
I have from the beginning suspected this as if the cabin is cool, then how can the cabin become hot within seconds after the compressor cuts off!

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 6th August 2022 at 19:12. Reason: typo corrected
Old 6th August 2022, 17:25   #792
BHPian

Quote:
It's not that recirculation is stitched off in auto. It's just in auto.....which means recirculation will switch automatically between fresh air and recirculation according to programmed logic. Once you manually switch it in recirculation/fresh air, it'll stay in that mode.
This is how it is in all cars of the world where recirculation is also auto. Some cars like Hyundai don't control recirculation in auto. So in those cars whichever mode you select stays put. But in VW, Fiat and many others, recirculation is also in auto.
I didn't know about this, thanks for the info!
He says to switch the recirculation on manually.
Quote:
I have from the beginning suspected this as if the cabin is cool, then how can the cabin become hot within seconds after the compressor cuts off!
As far as I know, when the compressor trips, I guess it changes into fresh air mode automatically thus letting into the cabin hot air from outside hence making your cabin hot, whereas if you keep the recirculation mode on manually, the cold air inside the cabin will stay there thus making the cabin cool.

Also, since the compressor trip issue occurs mostly during B2B traffic, it would be better to keep the recirculation mode on manually imo because:
1) It keeps the cabin cool
2)It won't allow the air pollutants to enter the cabin thus helping to keep the air filters longer.

Last edited by TechnoBloop : 6th August 2022 at 17:36. Reason: missed few words
Old 6th August 2022, 19:29   #793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoBloop View Post
I didn't know about this, thanks for the info!
He says to switch the recirculation on manually.
That's the thing in climate control. If any parameter is manually adjusted then that stays in manual mode. For eg, if you increase or decrease fan speed then the fan speed is not controlled in auto even if you change temperature setting. After that to get fan speed back to auto mode, you'll have to put the system in full auto mode by pressing auto button. Likewise the same for recirculation. If you manually change it to recirculation then it'll stay that way till the time you press auto button again.

This is how all automotive climate control systems operate. Although it's been many years since the technology was introduced, I still feel many people don't understand how to control the system manually or what happens in auto mode even though every car's manual describes these things!
firstguri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 10:32   #794
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda City rules the segment, Slavia meets its intended goal, 2nd in the segment.

Name:  1.JPG
Views: 1791
Size:  25.7 KB

Source: Auto Punditz
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 22:34   #795
BHPian

Quote:
That's the thing in climate control. If any parameter is manually adjusted then that stays in manual mode. For eg, if you increase or decrease fan speed then the fan speed is not controlled in auto even if you change temperature setting. After that to get fan speed back to auto mode, you'll have to put the system in full auto mode by pressing auto button. Likewise the same for recirculation. If you manually change it to recirculation then it'll stay that way till the time you press auto button again.

This is how all automotive climate control systems operate. Although it's been many years since the technology was introduced, I still feel many people don't understand how to control the system manually or what happens in auto mode even though every car's manual describes these things!
I have a different opinion about what you just said based on the 3 cars that I own. I have an S cross, Octavia and a Tucson, all with ACC. The only parameter that you can adjust in auto mode is the temperature and the recirculation in all 3 cars. In all the three cars, the moment you change the fan speed, the auto light goes off meaning that the system is no longer in auto mode. So it is not just the fan speed that goes to manual, but the whole climate control goes to manual mode. Similarly, If you change the the airflow direction( towards face/legs etc.), the auto light goes off.
robby0707 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks