Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2023, 21:25   #1096

Re: Skoda Slavia Review

Bought the Skoda Slavia 1L AT (Carbon Steel) just about a month back and have completed 1.25K KMs on the ODO.

Background:
Been driving a Honda Brio for almost 10 years with 1.25L KMs on the ODO. Though the car has gracefully aged, still completes the job of being my daily driver and occasional highway drives without any niggles. The only major issues I had had with the car were some AC issues about 4 years back and clutch replacement 4 Months back (at about 1.2L KMs)

The only reason I had to look for a new car, was that it has been 10 years with the Brio. Been thinking about a new car for over a year now and had a couple of "favourites".

Favourites:
Skoda Rapid : The simple and elegant design gives a Classic feel. Though short on features (as mentioned by a friend who owns a Rapid and a Verna) compared to the Verna, this was still No. 1 on my list.

Magnetic i20 : The magnetic i20 was impressive right from the very first time I saw the Car. Having driven my friend's Elite i20, price point and the new gen look, the car was on top of my shopping list.

Shopping:
By the time, I got into the real "buy-the-car" mode, Rapid was no longer in the market. The replacement - Slavia was more expensive than the Rapid.

i20 also brought out the n-Line. Though, not a full blown performance car, like the subtle changes over the more common i20.

So i20 n-Line was the first car in my list, followed by Slavia. Over the next 6 months I began to like Slavia more than the n-Line, owing to the higher segment. If I were to drive a BMW/Audi/Merc in about 10-15 years , moving there from a Slavia would be more organic than moving from i20.

Took a Test Drive of Slavia 1L AT late in the night as my office is in the City outskirts and I couldn't make time during the day owing to year-end. The dealer was open late night to meet their own Dec targets. The drive was flawless and had almost decided that it was this car. The salesperson also somehow coaxed me to book the vehicle the same night, minutes after my TD.

Had the Hyundai Dealership send a i20 n-Line N8 DCT for Test drive. The TD was lukewarm and the ergonomics standard that Slavia had set the previous night was too tall for the warm-hatch. And the floating infotainment was distracting too much (I'm 6 Ft tall). The suspension was too still and did not feel like a premium car in comparison with the Slavia.

Friends also suggested that I get a TD of Honda City Gen 5, being the sought after Sedan. Though no complaints on the TD, the car did not feel a lot different than my existing car (Honda Brio) on several fronts.

They also had a Kia Showroom right next and took a TD of Seltos. While the car felt good to me (my wife disliked it), the sales guys were more interested in getting their CRM filled than actually offering a TD. They allowed a TD of 0.5KM, saying they were low on fuel. They did not offer to take a TD at a later time voluntarily.

While at this my Slavia Sales guy (these showrooms are right next to each other) called me up to check why was I still shopping and offered another TD of Slavia immediately. He had spotted me looking around Kia and Honda. It was a done deal there.

The paperwork took a week and the car was delivered by the first week of Jan.

• Extensive Space
  • Instant Power
  • Ground Clearance

Dislikes:
  • Cheap Plastics at certain places (Esp. the window keys)
  • The Chrome grill (would dechrome it soon)
  • The low hanging petrol tank that looks odd

Looking forward to a 100000 KMs ahead with the dark horse.
vigneash is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 06:53   #1097
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneash View Post
Bought the Skoda Slavia 1L AT (Carbon Steel) just about a month back and have completed 1.25K KMs on the ODO.

[b]
Dislikes:
  • Cheap Plastics at certain places (Esp. the window keys)
  • The Chrome grill (would dechrome it soon)
  • The low hanging petrol tank that looks odd

Looking forward to a 100000 KMs ahead with the dark horse.
Congratulations on your purchase, the low hanging thing behind is not the fuel tank but the wheel well of the spare tyre the actual fuel tank is ahead of it. To make the odd looking spare wheel well look less noticeable, just spray paint it with black colour, because due to the light shade it pops out more from behind.
yesyeswe is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 16:09   #1098
BHPian

Just came across this picture of a Slavia with a TSI badge. Claims to be a 2023 model. Are there any other updates or just this badge? Also, has this been added only to the 1.5L (finally some differentiation), or to the 1.0L variant as well?

Skoda Slavia Review-screenshot-20230210-4.06.47-pm.png
Vibhav-Van is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 18:02   #1099
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibhav-Van View Post
Just came across this picture of a Slavia with a TSI badge. Claims to be a 2023 model. Are there any other updates or just this badge? Also, has this been added only to the 1.5L (finally some differentiation), or to the 1.0L variant as well?

Attachment 2417036
I have seen this badge in several Slavias of late. Could be a 2023 thing. But the last Slavia I saw did not look that new.

Last edited by Sheel : 12th February 2023 at 10:40. Reason: As requested.
Old 11th February 2023, 09:15   #1100

Quote:

Attachment 2417036
I saw several 1.5L Cars with the TSI badge when I took delivery of my 1L Slavia. All were 2022 cars. I thought this was the only difference between 1L and 1.5L variants. The TSI badge here similar to GT Badge on Virtus.
Old 11th February 2023, 16:45   #1101
BHPian

I just saw two brand new slavia’s with Temporary Registration driven very rashly which had a TSI badge,one I in red colour and other one normal chrome.
Sadly no snap since I was driving.
Old 13th February 2023, 12:04   #1102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_m View Post
Just wanted to know how do the Slavia owners open the boot for security checks at mall entrance etc, specially with the engine running. Turning off the engine means compromising with the AC, music system, headlights etc. I presume most security guards wouldn't know where to insert the finger for opening the same?

I never tried this, but will the key help? Does it open the boot or just unlocks it?
Old 18th February 2023, 20:32   #1103
BHPian

Skoda Slavia is now being offered in dual tone colors also. This option is limited to the Style variant.

There are 2 options as per the updated brochure:
  • Crystal Blue with Carbon Steel roof
  • Brilliant Silver with Carbon Steel roof

But the catch here is that the price list on the Skoda website is not showing any extra charges for this dual tone scheme on the car. Either the dual tone variants are yet to be launched or the pricing page is not yet updated.

Link to the updated brochure:
https://www.skoda-auto.co.in/_doc/60...2-397fa61b4cd6
FrAgile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2023, 01:47   #1104

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAgile View Post
Skoda Slavia is now being offered in dual tone colors also. This option is limited to the Style variant.

There are 2 options as per the updated brochure:
  • Crystal Blue with Carbon Steel roof
  • Brilliant Silver with Carbon Steel roof

But the catch here is that the price list on the Skoda website is not showing any extra charges for this dual tone scheme on the car. Either the dual tone variants are yet to be launched or the pricing page is not yet updated.

Link to the updated brochure:
https://www.skoda-auto.co.in/_doc/60...2-397fa61b4cd6
I visited Skoda’s showroom here in Delhi to check out Slavia 1.5 DSG , the sales representative affirmed that MY 2023 will have dual tone options in Crystal blue & Brilliant Silver with carbon steel roof , specifically for 1.5 models likewise what Virtus 1.5 DSG offers.
He also said it is part of feedback sent to Skoda and hence these changes. Wonder if they bring back deleted features citing chip shortage such as 10 inch Audio system coupled with wireless car play and subwoofer!
DJ 0909 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2023, 08:55   #1105
Distinguished - BHPian

Low oil alert:
I always had this on my mind after I had seen similar reports of oil level going low in the initial 5-7k kms. I had also seen an FB post where someone reported oil needing top up. I had checked oil and it was nearing the lower mark few days ago. And yesterday at 8040kms, got an alert to check oil level. I had always wanted to get it topped up but hadn't. While I was in Kolar I got this alert and immediately found Shell 0W20 which is another rarity. It took less than 1L of oil to get the oil level back to normal dipstick levels.

Since this initial oil consumption in TSI is pretty common, suggest everyone to check oil levels at the 7k mark and get it topped up.

Modifying HBA:
I had experimented with modifying the hydraulic brake assist setting in VCDS. Default setting was HBA normal. There is an option to set Early and late and I set it to early. The result makes the brake very sensitive. Had to change the way I brake since the braking is no longer linear. The nature of the HBA system is it uses ESP to add extra braking pressure above what the driver has applied and ensures that the car brakes well and will reach it's max braking power with less driver effort.

Hence with HBA set to early, even light braking will get the ESP adding braking pressure and the car slows down faster than we expect. To manage with this we need fine modulation of the brakes and me being used to quick braking pedal action due to my work activities, it makes the brakes too sharp.

However it will suit anyone looking for sharper braking action than present, if anyone prefers it that way. I would be reverting to HBA Normal soon.
audioholic is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th February 2023, 12:21   #1106
BHPian

Got my first 15k service done for my 1.5 MT.
I had the SMP but still shelled out 6k.
The package does not include wheel alignment and AC cleaning and filter replacement. This was roughly 3k together.
Had done interior deep clean due to some spills on the seat. This was around 3k
samsristi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2023, 19:54   #1107
BHPian

Hello everyone, 2 weeks back me and my family visited a mahindra showroom in banglore to check out the new xuv700. We liked it and planned to book the top end ax7L petrol at in midnight black. The waiting period is about 8-9 months. So in the mean time we checked out the slavia and city too.

So now we are confused in the above mentioned cars, our requirements are:

1.Space for 3 at back. We need a proper 5 seater. This car is only for highways.
2.Fun to drive with exellent stability between the speeds of 110 to 130.
3.Feature loaded
4.Waiting period is not an issue but the sooner the better.
5.Decent reliability
6.Solid build quality and crash rating.

The variants of the cars picked are: 1) Xuv700 Petrol Ax7L
2) Slavia 1.5 DSG
3) Honda City 1.5 CVT(facelift)

So, please do give your suggestions. Thank You

Keep Revvin,
MotorDev
Old 22nd February 2023, 22:41   #1108
BHPian

Received a notification for AC performance update from Skoda today for my Slavia 1.0 AT. Planning to get it done in the next few days. Will post an update post the update !
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Slavia Review-screenshot_20230222223817.jpg  

Game_of_Roads is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 08:48   #1109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorDev View Post
1.Space for 3 at back. We need a proper 5 seater. This car is only for highways.
2.Fun to drive with exellent stability between the speeds of 110 to 130.
3.Feature loaded
The Slavia 1.5 is sheer brilliance, and nothing can come close to it in the fun-to-drive factor, within this budget. But I doubt if it can comfortably seat three at the back. MQB-A0-IN seems to have a width limitation; which could explain why Kushaq/Slavia are narrower than their peers.

Since your top requirement seems to be space for three at the back, it would be the XUV700 hands down. Plus that petrol motor is pretty potent and should keep you happy. Waiting times seem to be declining now, so hopefully you should get it soon.
Vibhav-Van is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 11:51   #1110
BHPian

Quote:
The Slavia 1.5 is sheer brilliance, and nothing can come close to it in the fun-to-drive factor, within this budget. But I doubt if it can comfortably seat three at the back. MQB-A0-IN seems to have a width limitation; which could explain why Kushaq/Slavia are narrower than their peers.

Since your top requirement seems to be space for three at the back, it would be the XUV700 hands down. Plus that petrol motor is pretty potent and should keep you happy. Waiting times seem to be declining now, so hopefully you should get it soon.
Thanks for replying, Yes my family is tilted towards the xuv700 but I like Slavia more. Both are great cars, will wait till new verna comes too, If I like it, I will wait for the crash test of it too. For now top priority in these cars is xuv700, then the slavia and verna.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks