Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2022, 11:06   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: 2022 Maruti Baleno Review

Excellent review. Can you share your experience on hill hold feature? How well does it work?
AkMar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 11:24   #17
BHPian

Checked out the new Baleno and I found the Zeta variant to be of better value than the top end. There are quite a few features in alpha but I felt they were all good to have.

Also saw Altroz immediately after that. Tata showroom was buzzing while nexa was quiet. Heart says Altroz but head says Baleno.
Old 2nd March 2022, 11:49   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Since the Maruti Baleno has already been reviewed by Team-BHP, this report will only focus on changes made to the facelift.
Quote:
The updated Baleno gets major changes to the exterior as well as the interior.

The safety kit has also received a major update... The kerb weight has increased by 55 kg, though we're not sure how much of it contributes towards increase in structural strength.
Given the level of changes reported, I am not sure if this can be termed as just 'facelift'. Though, as advertised, the platform remains same; yet multiple vehicles can be made on a platform and also, a platform can be used across generations.

Quote:
The second-gen Baleno was launched in October 2015.
It was the first-gen Baleno (Hatchback).

The original Baleno was a sedan and both had nothing in common except the name.
AutoNoob is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 11:51   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The clutch is very light and the anti-stall system is well tuned. Even with the additional 55 kg kerb weight, the DualJet engine feels peppy. While driving in city traffic, there is a decent amount of pep. Pottering around in the traffic, the anti-stall system and low-end torque ensure good drivability. I tried slotting int 5th gear at 30 km/h and the engine did not stall. Even at such low revs, there was no audible sign of the engine resisting or knocking.
What exactly is this system, how does it work? I have stalled a few petrol MT cars (Duster especially) after mostly driving diesels. Feature like this seems quite helpful.
Old 2nd March 2022, 12:07   #20
BHPian

After reading so many posts on how AMT is different from CVT some positive, some negative, one question which comes up in my mind is that whether both the transmissions could be or can still be offered in Baleno, covering all the bases. Will it be impractical for the company.
Old 2nd March 2022, 12:26   #21
Senior - BHPian

Nice review. The plastic cover under engine bay is welcome addition, but I just hope it is sturdy enough. I have to get the partial covers on the Ertiga 'tightened' at every service and there has been one dent/hole already in ~11000 km of driving.

Regarding the CVT/AMT comparison, I feel they should have kept the CVT OR offered even the ancient 4 speed Torque Converter. I recently sat in a friend's Dzire AMT and it had some judder from standstill in first gear, and that was at 14000 km, I know for sure the AMT is going to get even more jerky later on. I feel the AMT relies a lot on how one drives the car in long term to be a reliable workhorse.
Old 2nd March 2022, 13:19   #22

Are the switches/buttons provided with backlight ? This was missing in the old Baleno ?

Last edited by libranof1987 : 2nd March 2022 at 13:44. Reason: Please don't quote the entire post as it affects readability.
shivaru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 16:00   #23
BHPian

Can these new bigger brakes be fitted to older Baleno? I drive a Glanza and the brakes are horrible.
Old 2nd March 2022, 16:54   #24
BANNED

Thanks for the review. But frankly, this is too short of a review. For an onlooker, this is is just a facelift but for the trained eyes, this is a major model change with changes not only to bumpers, grills and lights, but to most body panels, interiors, features, boot space etc.

Also, people here will be more interested in the sheet metal thickness and build, but no mention to that as well.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd March 2022 at 08:59. Reason: We welcome criticism, but keep it constructive please
romeomidhun is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 17:44   #25

Thanks for the detailed review.
I have driven Dzire AMT 2018 model for 4 years and now owning a Honda City CVT.
I will provide my point of view w.r.t. AMT vs the CVT.

I moved to Dzire AMT after having driven manual for 3 years. And it was a delight as it is after all an Automatic. So if you compare with Manual for sure the convenience and comfort in an AMT is unmatched for a very less premium over it.

Also I got used to the AMT very quickly, and was never much bothered about the jerk while shifting the gear as it can be easily smoothened out by playing effectively with the acceleration.
In this review I understand that the AMT is further improved. So I am sure the jerky movement will be a non-issue once you learn to handle the acceleration effectively.

Now if I may talk about CVT, it is again a very pleasant upgrade and coupled with IVTEC engine. For the additional premium, it is not a VFM but certainly more convenient especially while overtaking on highways as you can simply rev and need not bother about playing with the acceleration to smoothen out the jerks.

After having compared the two, as I said your convenience is already obtained when compared to manual even with AMT. However if you are an enthusiast and want to rev hard without any hassle CVT is better.

Lastly I would like to add that after 4 years of driving AMT I started getting little issues while shifting from 1st to 2nd. It was no more that smooth and took longer at times.
So looks like the AMT box does cause issues over long period of usage. I never got it checked as my lease was due and had to sell the car.
I cannot comment on long term performance of CVT as I have started using it only a month ago.

Hope this helps potential buyers.
Thanks.
vineetklkrn is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 17:46   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Thanks for the review. But frankly, this is too short of a review. For an onlooker, this is is just a facelift but for the trained eyes, this is a major model change with changes not only to bumpers, grills and lights, but to most body panels, interiors, features, boot space etc.

Also, people here will be more interested in the sheet metal thickness and build, but no mention to that as well.
True that! Also, this one here is an all new model and journalists from Autocar, Powerdrift, Zigwheels etc have acknowledged the same in their reviews and even on their social media. Sadly that has been mentioned as a mere facelift here and all the detailed shots (and review) we see on other Team-BHP reviews are also missing!

Last edited by GTO : 3rd March 2022 at 09:00. Reason: Quoted post edited + keep the criticism constructive please
theAutomaniac is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 19:07   #27

Thanks for the review!

Quote:
Small, retractable transparent glass head-up display pops up above the instrument cluster. This is how the popped up HUD looks from outside:
Display and brightness does look good. I was not expecting that! Maruti does know how to pull the crowd.
Old 2nd March 2022, 19:10   #28
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

It's clear that MSIL has given serious thought to the newer model - the HUD, the rear AC vent assembly with type-A and type-C USB ports, 360 camera, better seats, more mature suspension tune, caring enough to put underbonnet insulation etc are all very welcome steps. It's heartening to see a serious attempt to 'provide' to the customer.

However, some of the changes reek of intentional "that will do" attitude -
(1) the front central AC vents are a joke
(2) the surgically removed portion of wheelwell sheet metal is disgusting (how much did they save from cutting it away ? probably balancing off the cost of having to provide some sort of engine undertray)
(3) poorly done headlamp plug sockets (inviting water to enter) is negligence. What's the use of having a male-female plastic encased waterproof socket design, if the wiring that is fed to one of the socket has not been insulated well, exposing the wiring tunnels to water/moisture ?

Personally, I feel it's a very competent product, tailored well to suit the indian car buyer, but can't help the feeling that some positive minded new product leadership were eventually kept in check by the old guard whose product definition motto has been "cut costs, at all costs". If us Indians gobbled up the old new-baleno, we are sure to gobble up this new new-baleno at twice the rate. This has sales success written all over it.
venkyhere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 19:26   #29
BANNED

Good that they have adopted a matured design for most parts of the car.

BTW, they have taken a lot of elements from Japanese Solio interiors. See the Solio interior pics.
Attached Thumbnails
2022 Maruti Baleno Review-ac.png  

2022 Maruti Baleno Review-hud.png  

2022 Maruti Baleno Review-mu.png  

Last edited by romeomidhun : 2nd March 2022 at 19:53.
romeomidhun is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 22:42   #30
BHPian

Hasn't the rear design gone the Wagon-R way?
More upright, and Boxy
2022 Maruti Baleno Review-screenshot-20220302-10.39.48-pm.png

Also, I am missing the Likes/ Dislikes or the Pros/Cons for the recent car reviews
vinya_jag is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed