Originally Posted by zalaps View Post
Today's Car-dle!
Which car's diagram is this?
To my eyes, it is a BMW X1
kedar_GT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 11:21   #17
BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz DCA Review | 1.2L Petrol Automatic

Great to see DCA on the Altroz! Wish they quickly put this in Nexon, Punch, Altroz Turbo! Wish they work on it quickly now. AMT on Nexon is ridiculous from my point of view, wish they fix it asap.
Old 30th March 2022, 11:22   #18
BHPian

Yep. its an Stelvio. In the beginning of the review, I was quite impressed with the graphics of the DCA logo with the inscription of the 'fast forward' symbol. But. this kills it, how much does it cost to have a 'printed' picture of an Altroz?
MartinVirage is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 11:27   #19
BHPian

Does it come with Hill hold feature or do we need to rely on creep for this? Is the creep good enough to hold it on medium inclines? I am exploring Altroz DCA and Hill hold becomes important due to an incline exiting my apartment.
Old 30th March 2022, 11:34   #20
BHPian

The psychological factor of more safety will always work in favour of the Altroz. Add a smooth automatic to the mix and I expect it to sell very well indeed. We'll see in a month's time how the sales are and how the seemingly unending rant about not introducing it in the turbo variant will all seem irrelevant from Tata's perspective if it sells well.
sravankrishnan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 11:35   #21

Great review Omkar, as always. DCA will certainly bring new trend of wet clutch autobox. Hope Altroz DCA will bring more numbers to Tata. Would love to see next iTurbo engine with autobox on Altroz & Nexon

Last edited by GTO : 30th March 2022 at 12:42. Reason: Omkar, not me :)
Old 30th March 2022, 12:16   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I hate AMTs and would rather take the bus instead of driving an AMT every day.
Quite a harsh statement. AMT's are not the best of lot but recent AMT's from Maruti are quite good. My BIL has latest Wagon R AMT and I was surprised to see how it performs. With heavy foot also it performs well. For normal layman people, it performs like proper automatic without any fuzz. Latest AMT's are way better than earlier versions few years back.
aniketi is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 12:25   #23
BHPian

TATA is rolling out good products one after other, the only worry is they should ensure perfect after sales support which will re-instill customer confidence...

People have indeed well-accepted their products and it reflects in the monthly sales numbers + their share price as well
Old 30th March 2022, 12:56   #24
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review. Answers all the important questions. There is praise coming from GTO himself, this alone should put to rest some doubts about DCA and its integration with the dull engine. As long as you have clarity on what you want and what this car can do, no one would be disappointed. I'm excited about Punch and Nexon DCT and hopefully on diesels too.
Old 30th March 2022, 14:51   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Quite a harsh statement. AMT's are not the best of lot but recent AMT's from Maruti are quite good. My BIL has latest Wagon R AMT and I was surprised to see how it performs. With heavy foot also it performs well. For normal layman people, it performs like proper automatic without any fuzz. Latest AMT's are way better than earlier versions few years back.
Torque Converters and CVTs have been around for 7+ decades now in mass market cars. And both were first built and tested in the late 1800s and early 1900s - which was a surprise even for me. That's a lot of time by when the automotive industry, on a global scale, has incrementally perfected these transmissions.

AMTs in engines with puny capacities being sold in India is probably unheard of elsewhere (feel free to let me know if I'm wrong). Hence you do have a lot of problems (driving experience, ownership experience, reliability etc.) with these. Indian OEMs might be improving upon AMTs, yes. But in my view, the AMT gearbox will logically never attain the finesse and reliability of TCs and CVTs; the ICE propulsion concept in vehicles will itself most likely die off before AMTs can be sufficiently improved upon.
locusjag is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 15:12   #26
BHPian

I wish Tata had released the turbo petrol model with DCA gearbox, ESC and 6 airbags. The lack of ESC and side airbags is a deal-breaker for many.

Hopefully, we can see this in Nexon at some point in future.
moongazer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 16:35   #27
BHPian

Excellent package by Tata. Would definitely recommend this over the sea of AMTs that everybody seems to be selling nowadays. This Engine-Gearbox combo will definitely uplift the Tata Punch as a package as well and make it much more desirable. This combo should even be better at preserving the 0-100 time vs the Altroz NA MT. Any idea on that number?

Including this option with the Turbo petrol (on both Nexon and Altroz) will make the ICE car portfolio complete. Nexon should be the first one to get it since it is the oldest of the lot.

Pricing is decent, it is definitely the cheapest non AMT automatic sold in India. 75k less than the CVT Jazz and roughly 90k less than the TC Polo and the CVT i20. The cheapest DCTs are a further lakh away. It is priced at a premium against its prime rival, the Baleno. But then, the Baleno is an AMT.

I had this query regarding AMTs. Do AMTs without creep function also face issues similar to this?

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4pn0jh
Also do we still get AMTs without creep? I know that the SPresso / Celerio had it in the past.
antz.bin is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 17:06   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post

Pricing is decent, it is definitely the cheapest non AMT automatic sold in India. 75k less than the CVT Jazz and roughly 90k less than the TC Polo and the CVT i20. The cheapest DCTs are a further lakh away. It is priced at a premium against its prime rival, the Baleno. But then, the Baleno is an AMT.
Actually, the cheapest non-AMT automatic in India is from Datsun. The Go & Go+ come with a CVT
chaksjr is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 18:29   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
This combo should even be better at preserving the 0-100 time vs the Altroz NA MT. Any idea on that number?
Per Autocar its 17sec to the ton on Altroz DCA
neoonwheels is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 20:06   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
Looks like an Alfa Romeo Stelvio, was not expecting that.
Indeed, it is the Alfa Romeo Stelvio! Just some "Tata things" probably. But that cracked me up. Tata Altroz DCA Review | 1.2L Petrol Automatic-alfa-romeo-stelvio.jpg
TwistOfFate! is offline   (28) Thanks

Most Viewed