Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
  Search this Thread
174,294 views
Old 1st June 2022, 20:42   #61
Senior - BHPian
 
ajay_satpute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,955
Thanked: 1,703 Times
Re: Tata Altroz DCA Review | 1.2L Petrol Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sany0023 View Post
Hi All,

I have booked Tata Altroz XZA+ DCA one month ago. Now I am waiting for delivery and it is taking longer than expected time ( Both delaer and TAMO are clueless). So I am giving second thoughts. This one is touching 11.5L OTR. Nexon is coming to my mind.

What are your thoughts. Which one suits for my requirements. I am ok to stretch budget to nexon only if that 2L extra money is worth to spend.
The Nexon AMT starts with the XMA variant which is priced 11.87 lakhs (on-road Pune) and misses out on few important features. The XZA+ variant of Nexon costs a whopping 13.36 lakhs on-road. However, if you are fine to stretch your budget by 2 lakhs, IMO, it is worth the upgrade. At least, you will be driving a turbo petrol engine and not an NA one and will never ever have to worry about ground clearance.

Please note that the turbo petrol engine on Nexon is not something that will push you back in the seat, when accelerated hard. The power is very linear. Do not expect Polo TSI kind of power rush.
ajay_satpute is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 21:50   #62
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 15,717
Thanked: 15,524 Times
Re: Tata Altroz DCA Review | 1.2L Petrol Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsniranjan View Post
A question that I have for which I did not get a clear answer from the sales exec is whether pressing the central locking button near the gear when the car is in motion would result in the doors unlocking. .
They would not have stopped you from trying it !

Before buying our Storme, I had asked the Sales person about the central locking in the Storme. He didnt have the answer, but we tried the option I had asked. We both got the answer.

Sales people would be familiar with common questions. May be the feature was explained during their briefings, but he missed it. Or it was not documented. What ever the case, such things can definitely be tried out, and answers found.
condor is offline  
Old 6th June 2022, 12:19   #63
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 7
Thanked: 5 Times
Re: Tata Altroz DCA Review | 1.2L Petrol Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Sales people would be familiar with common questions. May be the feature was explained during their briefings, but he missed it. Or it was not documented. What ever the case, such things can definitely be tried out, and answers found.
Agree, I hadn't tried it on the first drive as I did not want my kid to learn a new trick ! I took a separate test drive and tested this out and yes, the doors did seem to unlock when the unlock button was pressed with the car at decent speeds. I did not attempt to see if the door really opens ! I do think this feature is a significant risk with the kid around.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 6th June 2022 at 12:24. Reason: Quote content trimmed
tsniranjan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 12:26   #64
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 7
Thanked: 5 Times
Re: Tata Altroz DCA Review | 1.2L Petrol Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulliavi View Post
Below vlog from a well known Youtuber GeekyRanjit points out a serious drawback of Tata Altroz AT (as well as Punch) and why he went to buy Baleno AT. Hope TATA sees this and does something
I did check if this was true in my last test drive. While the car was not absolutely standstill, it did not go back much either, probably half an inch before creeping forward. This is about similar to what we would end up in a manual. On the Baleno/Glanza, the car holds for like 3 secs before moving back similarly and then creeping forward. I don't think this is a deal breaker for me really. However, prospective buyers should check out on their own.
tsniranjan is offline  
Old 7th June 2022, 11:37   #65
BHPian
 
sulliavi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 97
Thanked: 203 Times
Re: Tata Altroz DCA Review | 1.2L Petrol Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsniranjan View Post
I don't think this is a deal breaker for me really. However, prospective buyers should check out on their own.
If it was not a deal breaker then TATA executives should have convinced the customer to buy Altroz AT. Its not only about the car, its more about attitude of the TATA showroom guys.

This shows that Maruti/Nexa is much better in terms of customer experience and why they can sell their products even if they are lacking in few areas.

On the other hand, Maruti's 1.2 or 1.5 - 4 cylinder petrol engines are way way better than TATA's any day which I cannot compromise on


peace
sulliavi is offline  
Old 7th June 2022, 13:00   #66
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Hubli
Posts: 42
Thanked: 26 Times
Re: Tata Altroz DCA Review | 1.2L Petrol Automatic

Hi Guys,
We have brought Tata Altroz XZ+ DCA. But I am unable to see TPMS option in instrument cluster. TATA says Altroz comes with i-tpms in their website. Anyone facing the same issue?Tata Altroz DCA Review | 1.2L Petrol Automatic-screenshot_20220607125824_chrome.jpg
sany0023 is offline  
Old 7th June 2022, 18:27   #67
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 7
Thanked: 5 Times
Re: Tata Altroz DCA Review | 1.2L Petrol Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulliavi View Post

On the other hand, Maruti's 1.2 or 1.5 - 4 cylinder petrol engines are way way better than TATA's any day which I cannot compromise on

peace
We recently ended up booking the Baleno/Glanza too. And yes, the two cars are better than the Altroz in almost all departments except for safety, where the Baleno/Glanza are an unknown in terms of their safety wrt collisions.
tsniranjan is offline  
Old 2nd July 2022, 16:22   #68
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Hubli
Posts: 42
Thanked: 26 Times
Re: Tata Altroz DCA Review | 1.2L Petrol Automatic

Hi Guys,

My altroz dca has got some paint issue. Gave it to service center 2 times and finally they made it clean. Now the car is jerking like an amt and also the autopark lock feature introduced with DCA is not working. Tried for 30 minutes yesterday, and the car kept moving and fortunately I was able to jump in just in time.

My question is, having lost faith in TAMO quality, is it possible that my gearbox is replaced with a cheap gearbox like AMT from other Tata cars. I know this might sound silly, but being newbie to the car world, I want to know if this is possible.

Last edited by sany0023 : 2nd July 2022 at 16:24.
sany0023 is offline  
Old 13th July 2022, 12:01   #69
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 259
Thanked: 76 Times
Re: Tata Altroz DCA Review | 1.2L Petrol Automatic

Hi All,

Test drove a Tata Altroz DCA. Initial pick-up was very low. Have to floor the accelerator to really get the car moving. Once on the run, beyond 10 kmph, things get better and it was a smooth drive and the acceleration was good. When tried to push beyond 80 kmph, engine noise is too high, feel like slowing down. Is this experience just with that test mule I used or its across all Altroz DCVs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulliavi View Post
Its not only about the car, its more about attitude of the TATA showroom guys.

This shows that Maruti/Nexa is much better in terms of customer experience and why they can sell their products even if they are lacking in few areas.
I am more worried about the company's attitude towards Indian customers as they produce safer cars for other countries, but are OK with 2 star or lower crash test ratings for their Indian cars. If Indian lives are cheaper for Suzuki, it's a big 'No' from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulliavi View Post
On the other hand, Maruti's 1.2 or 1.5 - 4 cylinder petrol engines are way way better than TATA's any day which I cannot compromise on
In my humble opinion, I cannot compromise on my family's safety for a smoother engine.

Last edited by Crank : 13th July 2022 at 12:11. Reason: Avoiding multiple posts
Crank is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 21:07   #70
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Kochi
Posts: 890
Thanked: 6,837 Times
Re: Tata Altroz DCA Review | 1.2L Petrol Automatic

Did a test drive of Altroz DCA. Coming from someone who drives Ford Aspire DCT, the Altroz gearbox and performance were pathetic to say the least. The power on tap is so inadequate that it's almost impossible to plan an quick overtaking. I have to say, it's extremely dangerous in the notoriously narrow and congested Kerala roads. This car is only suited for sedate, city driving. Having said that, the cabin quality and build quality is miles ahead of my Aspire. The steering feedback is also a downer, didn't feel a connect with what the wheels are doing.

It's high time TATA mate the DCA to 1.2 turbo petrol. But I'm sceptical about the gearbox even if turbo engine comes to Altroz. Altroz in an EV avatar would be an irresistible proposition, considering the fact there isn't any affordable EV hatchback. If prices between ₹12-15 lakhs, it has the potential to be sucess.
The Rationalist is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2022, 20:51   #71
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 38
Thanked: 87 Times
Re: Tata Altroz DCA Review | 1.2L Petrol Automatic

I bought the DCA AT few months ago.
When I move from Parking to Drive, the issue of car going back by few inches, esp on a slight incline, is making me worried at the signals. This was not the case with Maruti Ritz (my last car) or currently with the Safari AT. This happens every single time with Altroz DCA. Otherwise, it is a good car for city.

The service center dismissed it as known issue as if getting rear ended is not a big problem.

My wife used to drive Ritz and this car was for both of us. Now she is apprehensive of taking the car out.

I have written to the service center to confirm that this is indeed a known issue so I can escalate it to Tata.

Customers have no legal recourse in these matters. It is such a shame that Tata is not obligated to fix it.

What are my options here?
gk.pavan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2022, 22:14   #72
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 970
Thanked: 804 Times
Re: Tata Altroz DCA Review | 1.2L Petrol Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk.pavan View Post
I bought the DCA AT few months ago.
When I move from Parking to Drive, the issue of car going back by few inches, esp on a slight incline, is making me worried at the signals. This was not the case with Maruti Ritz (my last car) or currently with the Safari AT. This happens every single time with Altroz DCA. Otherwise, it is a good car for city.

The service center dismissed it as known issue as if getting rear ended is not a big problem.

My wife used to drive Ritz and this car was for both of us. Now she is apprehensive of taking the car out.

I have written to the service center to confirm that this is indeed a known issue so I can escalate it to Tata.

Customers have no legal recourse in these matters. It is such a shame that Tata is not obligated to fix it.

What are my options here?
No need to get worked up. Altroz may not be equipped with Hill hold feature. Keep the car with parking brake engaged. Put it in drive mode, press the accelerator till you feel the car move ahead and then release the parking brake. This is a standard procedure which should be taught in all driving schools.
Palio_2005 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th December 2022, 01:43   #73
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 38
Thanked: 87 Times
Re: Tata Altroz DCA Review | 1.2L Petrol Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
No need to get worked up. Altroz may not be equipped with Hill hold feature. Keep the car with parking brake engaged. Put it in drive mode, press the accelerator till you feel the car move ahead and then release the parking brake. This is a standard procedure which should be taught in all driving schools.

You mean I should do this at every signal with the slightest inclination? Or at every basement ramp? How did a 15 year old Ritz achieve this grip? As a lay driver, I don't want to know that Tata lacks a certain functionality that somehow a old Maruti had and I should live with this. So much for a 14 lac car.
gk.pavan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 22:06   #74
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 194
Thanked: 620 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Tata Altroz DCA Review | 1.2L Petrol Automatic

There is no hill hold for DCA model. Small incline and it happily rolls back. The only option is put in D and give a small tap on A Pedal and release Hand brake to move forward.
Now for the bad part, it happens on reverse also. The power in reverse is low to move the car backwards. I don't know if it's in my car or all models of Altroz, without acceleration the vehicle doesn't reverse back once gear in engaged.

The reverse cam although shows sufficient distance to go back (with those yellow and blue lines on screen), the rear blinkers might be already very close to any pillar or wall in apartment parking.
Owners of Altroz may observe this.
Altrozed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 23:09   #75
Senior - BHPian
 
Kosfactor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: COK\BLR\MYS
Posts: 3,498
Thanked: 9,755 Times
Re: Tata Altroz DCA Review | 1.2L Petrol Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altrozed View Post
There is no hill hold for DCA model. Small incline and it happily rolls back. The only option is put in D and give a small tap on A Pedal and release Hand brake to move forward.
Now for the bad part, it happens on reverse also. The power in reverse is low to move the car backwards. I don't know if it's in my car or all models of Altroz, without acceleration the vehicle doesn't reverse back once gear in engaged.
According to Autocar's review , it has Creep mode and Hill hold, it should not roll back on moderate inclines.

Perhaps there is a fault or there is user error.

When you come to a stop on an incline with the brake pedal pressed enough to hold the vehicle in place , the hill hold will activate and keep the vehicle within a few inches of its position for you to get back on the A pedal and drive off. If you coast and come to a stop on an incline without the brake (can happen if it's steep enough of its a speed bump etc) hill hold will not activate because the vehicle does not know what the driver intent to do.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2023, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks