Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2023, 14:21   #541
BHPian

Re: 2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajala View Post
Yes, the car was in ready mode at first try... when I tried to lock the car, I realised and switched it off.
Been there, done that :( I learned a hard lesson this way when my car was 2 months old. Now every time using a FC, I make sure my car is not in READY mode and is locked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rada View Post
According to him, this problem occurs when there is voltage fluctuation at the DC charger end.
This is probably what MG has trained them to say. Same reason was given to me. And when I asked them why other cars being charged at the same charger didn't face any issues, they didn't have an answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyampsunder View Post
Looks the combination of turning on the car and using a delta charger together is causing the car to shut off.
Only the first part (that too partially) of this statement is true. It has nothing to do with the make of the charger. If your car is in READY mode when you start charging, HV battery will shut off.
Old 30th January 2023, 14:28   #542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JitendraW View Post
Only the first part (that too partially) of this statement is true. It has nothing to do with the make of the charger. If your car is in READY mode when you start charging, HV battery will shut off.
Maybe but I have been told by a ZS EV owner that he has charged with the car on Ready mode and the car didn't shut off. I am not brave enough to try it. For now, I put the car in ACC mode and use the AC. Also avoiding delta chargers as far as possible.
Old 31st January 2023, 10:19   #543
Senior - BHPian

A new ZS I spotted parked in front of my house this morning. Noticing the yellow reflective sticker, I guessed it was a yellow board and it was and belongs to Orix Auto.
Attached Thumbnails
2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review-7c8b9c5acb184773b16359ee7a376d3a.jpeg  

Old 31st January 2023, 16:12   #544
BHPian

Once the car goes fleet operators' way, it might lose re-sale value.
Old 31st January 2023, 22:37   #545
BHPian

We brought home a candy white ZS EV Excite variant early Jan 2023.

The booking experience with MG folks was pretty good. A few things that I noticed:
1. MG showrooms are run centrally (by Jubilant) so there is no one dealer being pitted against the other. This is both a good thing and bad. Good because the experience is consistent (consistently good as of now) and bad because the dealers don't compete for business
2. My booking to delivery was 3 weeks with everything fairly transparent. I was not pushed for any extras - essential kit or dealer insurance
3. The delivery experience was okay - nothing too great and not too bad either. In the showroom they did not explain the car much, rather MG sends someone home for a demo and I did not have time for that later on. I did not miss the home visit as I figured most things myself and nothing better than this thread.

As soon as I got to know the VIN number and Engine number (when car was billed) I attached the car to the iSmart app. It turned out the main job of lady giving delivery of the car was to get iSmart app set up. When I told I had been tracking the car past few days she was quite surprised and did not have much to speak about the car.

The car - The experience of the car is pretty much as what has been captured in the review. A few of my observations:
What I like
1.Super silent, smooth with good ride quality. On speed breakers and potholes the stiffness can be felt.
2. Interior quality is top-notch, equivalent to Skoda or perhaps a bit higher
3. Implementation of features like child lock of windows is what it should be i.e. the driver can operate and rear seats cannot. In Honda City, child lock is almost like a master switch which once enabled does not allow even the driver to operate the windows
4. The buttons are backlit
5. All windows are auto-down. Driver side is auto-up

The misses
1. Space is a bit less compared to the length of the car - this is true for the rear seat space as well as under-thigh support
2. The boot space is a nice cuboid but the space is lesser for the size of car this is. My reference is our other car Honda City. While the space might be at par with Seltos / Creta (never considered) but lesser than what I expected.
3. The seats are comfortable. Lumbar support could be better
4. IRVM does not have auto dimming
5. AC performance is severely hit in "eco" mode
6. There is rattle from right A-pillar - very annoying in a silent car

Overall, I get a realistic range of 325-360 km to full charge. I don't baby the car but don't drive pedal to the metal either. For reference my Honda City CVT would give 10-12 kmpl for comparable runs.

Excite vs Exclusive
I chose Excite for the VFM features. I was not constrained for budget but felt spending 4L more was not worth it. For the first time (among my 4 car purchases to date) I have not chosen the top variant. Looking back, do I miss the Exclusive variant? I don't miss the panoramic sunroof or faux leather seats but I do miss auto-folding ORVMs, blind spot detection and if I sit in the back seat I might miss the arm rest. Considering the 4L difference I don't regret buying Excite variant at all.

Other nice things about the MG experience:
1. The team is courteous and quite professional. They do follow-up but are not pushy.
2. I booked slot for first service and they provide free pick-up and drop for 10 km distance - impressive
I have dealt with Maruti, Honda and Skoda to date and I can say that at the moment MG has customer service high up in priority. If they can sustain this I am sure they will find many brand advocates.

I do intend to take the car for <250km inter-city travel before I get the confidence of taking it for longer drives. I should be able to do that soon and will update my experience here.

I might also have a chauffer in which case this car would be fantastic - no jhik-jhik if the driver runs AC for a long time while waiting or driving in wrong gear and the ability to track the car using app etc. etc.

Overall this is a nice purchase and I am quite satisfied with the variant too. Will update here as I experience the car more.

~sm

Last edited by serious_maniac : 31st January 2023 at 22:41. Reason: typos
serious_maniac is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 1st February 2023, 08:31   #546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by serious_maniac View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience. Was very useful for me who had been waiting for getting this variant.

Wanted to know if there is automatic cruise control and is the Android auto/carplay wireless, on the Excite variant?
Old 1st February 2023, 08:54   #547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinvin View Post
Wanted to know if there is automatic cruise control and is the Android auto/carplay wireless, on the Excite variant?
Android Auto and Apple Carplay are wired in the exclusive so it should be the same on the excite. Android Auto is a bit iffy at times during connecting but it's good after that. God Speed
DrZhivago is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2023, 12:44   #548
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations buddy. Wish you many miles of happy (and silent ) drive.
JitendraW is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2023, 16:07   #549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinvin View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience. Was very useful for me who had been waiting for getting this variant.

There is cruise control. If you mean adaptive cruise control then that requires ADAS which Excite variant does not have. I did not find ADAS practical in Indian conditions and thus do not miss it. Android Auto / Apple car play works well.

A question to other owners - what's the HV battery voltage on instrument cluster. Mine fluctuates from 387V to 394V. Should it be 400V?

~sm
serious_maniac is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 12:19   #550
BHPian

Quote:
A question to other owners - what's the HV battery voltage on instrument cluster. Mine fluctuates from 387V to 394V. Should it be 400V?

~sm
I have never seen 400V. Its always around 395-398
HappyRider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 13:26   #551
BHPian

Quote:
It keeps fluctuating. Doesn't stay at 400V for long.
JitendraW is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2023, 15:38   #552
BHPian

Is there a need to take the battery down and then recharge it because I have been hearing Nexon users talking about it. I have been using the ZS EV for a week now and I am like topping up the charge every time it gets to 70 percent or sometimes 80 percent. I use the 15 amp socket to charge and just used the 7.5kw charger that came along with the car once. Should I take the charge down to 20 and then charge it to optimize battery or something? God Speed
Old 3rd February 2023, 16:33   #553
BHPian

You can trust the MG when it comes to range left. So, unless you are planning long drive, you confidently let it go into low 20s or even teens before charging. It is good for battery life.
HappyRider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2023, 17:54   #554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZhivago View Post
Is there a need to take the battery down and then recharge it because I have been hearing Nexon users talking about it. I have been using the ZS EV for a week now and I am like topping up the charge every time it gets to 70 percent or sometimes 80 percent. I use the 15 amp socket to charge and just used the 7.5kw charger that came along with the car once. Should I take the charge down to 20 and then charge it to optimize battery or something? God Speed
Let it drop to even 10% and then charge and that should be the routine everytime unless otherwise. A full charging cycle is good for the battery and it's longevity.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2023, 17:57   #555
BHPian

Quote:

~sm
A quick update on HV battery voltage. I did an equalization charge by letting in the the wall charger be plugged in for 12 hours post 100%. The voltage now reads 400v and fluctuates between 394 to 400V.

I saw videos on YouTube about equalization charge and heard its a good practice to do it once a month to ensure that all the cells are balanced. I intend to follow this as much as possible, though I think 2-3 hrs beyond 100% should do the trick.

~sm

Most Viewed