Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2022, 17:14   #106
BHPian

Re: 2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
It shouldn't be a problem in any EV but if the battery is really low on charge then it probably will not run air con.
Generally car air conditioner pulls around 1.3kw of power and around 3kw of initial start up power. If the air conditioner compressor has a BLDC or PMDC motor then it will not have the inrush current. ( just like your household inverter AC).

So hypothetically, if you have a 3kw charger then only 1.7kw will be available for charging with remaining power being used to run the air conditioner (assuming the compressor as a rated power consumption of 1.3kw and is at its max power consumption).
I have seen on few video reviews that the car doesn't charge until it's locked. That's why I have this querry. That's my priority before deciding the car to buy. So I need practical opinion based on own experience. Thank you.
Old 9th June 2022, 18:35   #107
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
So, during the startup all the power from charger is supplied to the AC? Or do you think both the battery and charger help the AC to start?

Thanks for your insights.
The AC will just take power from the DC to DC converter, you have a battery pack volts to 12v DC converter, you may have battery pack voltage to 24v or 48v or 72v etc DC converter for the electronic power steering or the air conditioner, coolant pump etc

Let's say the SOC of the battery is dropped to single digit, lets say hypothetically it's just 1kwh of battery remaining, so this means it can in theory give 1kw of power for 1hr, so at 1.3kw of AC compressor power consumption, the battery would only give output for about 40min.

Lets say the SOC was even low at just 0.5kwh, it doesn't mean that it cannot spool up the air conditioner during start up. A lithium battery can give out lot of amps, even at low SOC. As long as it doesn't trigger the low voltage cut off or some other limp mode threshold voltage, the air conditioner should run fine with or without charging.

Another example, let's say you are gaming in your phone, If you slow charge with a regular usb 2.0 port. The battery level may stay the same because all the power from the USB 2.0 port 2.5w max is being used by the phone cpu/gpu. But lets say you connect the phone to a USB 3.0 port, now the battery SOC will start increasing. Now if you stop gaming the phone will now charge faster.

The same principle applies to EV.

Last edited by aim120 : 9th June 2022 at 18:38.
aim120 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 21:06   #108
BHPian

How are the deliveries moving? Can someone who have allotments confirm which date of booking is being currently processed?

After a long contemplation, I am deciding to join the queue after a TD, so would like to get a sense of actual waiting periods in the market.

Cheers,
Vijay
Old 9th June 2022, 23:17   #109
BHPian

I got my Red ZS EV today. My booking was done on 7th Feb 2022 in MG Noida.
Here are my first impressions:
  • The drive experience is simply amazing. Apart from the high acceleration and silence that you would expect from an EV, the handling and suspension is also quite good.
  • Normal seems to be the best mode to drive in. The AC performance takes a huge dip on switching to Eco, and Sport drains battery like anything. So Normal Mode seems best, at least in the scorching heat of Delhi.
  • KERS Level 3 takes a lot of time to get used to. The deceleration on leaving the accelerator pedal is too high to be not noticed. You would even feel the car bending forwards just on lifting the foot off the pedal.
  • Although majority of reviews say otherwise, but I found the implementation of the 360 degree camera to be very good and helpful.
  • The UI of the infotainment system is really bad. You simply can’t find even the obvious things. The most useless things are put on the homepage and useful things are dug deep inside the UI. They didn’t even put a back button in the entire UI.
  • Under thigh support is lacking in the rear seat. I expected it to be better. The front seats, on the other hand, are too comfortable.
  • The quality of leatherite in the interior is really good and gives a complete luxurious feel.
  • The Sunshade is very thin, and there is significant sunlight coming in even on closing the shade. But I doubt they could have done much here considering that the shade has to not just go back and rather crumble in a roll due to the length of the shade. All in all, the pan atomic sunroof enhances the driving experience significantly.
  • I found it a little weird that the data of KMs run, etc. can be reset whenever you want. You can reset both trip and overall data, which seems odd to me.
  • The most absurd design flaw in the car is that you cannot raise the wipers. I tried doing this and it stuck in the edge of the bonnet, scraping some paint as well. You have to go through a lengthy procedure of putting the wipers in service mode to be able to raise them. The entire charade is blantaly senseless and unnecessary.

Will post more about my impressions of the car in my coming days.

The car doesn’t start charging until you lock it. That obviously rules out sitting inside or switching on AC while charging.
I think they have done this for safety purposes so that no one is inside the car in case any overheating or mishap happens during charging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patil View Post
I have seen on few video reviews that the car doesn't charge until it's locked. That's why I have this querry. That's my priority before deciding the car to buy. So I need practical opinion based on own experience. Thank you.

Last edited by bblost : 9th June 2022 at 23:50. Reason: back to back.
siddharthgarg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 12:14   #110
BHPian

Got mine Allocated. Inside news, 11 were allocated pan India today. Dont ask me how I know, if I tell you, I have to kill you 2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review-eda7e2837d3e4ecea2146e1f52f274b4.jpeg
ankitsingh7 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 13:48   #111
BHPian

Finally got delivery after 8 long months of haggles, dilemmas and popcorn moments

Take a look for yourself!

2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review-unnamed2.jpg

In all honesty, apart from the display vehicle, mine is the only other Black ZS EV I've seen on the road. They've really got to pull up their socks in production.
Dealership experience was sweet and sour, will give a detailed post on the entire experience shortly.

Cheers !
Arnav612 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 16:21   #112
BHPian

@siddharthgarg

I look forward to hearing your experiences regarding the ride quality - both in the front seat and rear. Also, let me know what PSI are you running the car on.
Old 11th June 2022, 01:05   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnav612 View Post
Finally got delivery after 8 long months of haggles, dilemmas and popcorn moments

Take a look for yourself!

Attachment 2318856

In all honesty, apart from the display vehicle, mine is the only other Black ZS EV I've seen on the road. They've really got to pull up their socks in production.
Dealership experience was sweet and sour, will give a detailed post on the entire experience shortly.

Cheers !
Congratulations and good job on going for the black one! Looks stunning! Can't wait to get my hands on mine if it's ever allotted!
Old 12th June 2022, 08:37   #114
BHPian

The showroom filled it at 44. I have been using that only. The pressure recommended in the user manual is 41.
Quote:
Originally Posted by qaqa View Post
@siddharthgarg

I look forward to hearing your experiences regarding the ride quality - both in the front seat and rear. Also, let me know what PSI are you running the car on.
Old 12th June 2022, 09:23   #115
BHPian

So I took a long road trip using my ZS EV. I would like to tell this especially to those of you who would be driving an EV for the first time.
The range changes drastically based on your driving style.

In the first leg of my journey, I drove for 203 km with 64% battery, which extrapolates to 317 km of range. During this trip, there was heavy traffic ok the highway and I could hardly go above 90 kmph. Mostly the car drove between 60-80 kmph.

In the second leg, I drove 210 km with 82% battery, which extrapolates to 256 km of range. This time the road was fairly empty and the car drove consistently in 80-100 kmph range, touching 120 kmph at times. The temperatures also increased, so I think the AC also sucked up more energy.

I was driving in Normal mode and KERS 3 in both scenarios.

So I would recommend you to plan your trips with stoppages no later than ~200 km if you want peace of mind. And don't worry about wasting a lot of time. The charging is very quick till 80% SOC. You can easily charge 0-80% in 35-40 mins on 50 kW charger. The last 20% takes a lot of time, which you can avoid, if you plan stops properly.

And if you really have to plan long legs in the journey, be really soft on pedal, avoid aggresive overtakes, stick to 60-80 kmph, and switch to Eco mode if weather permits. The only reason I could not stick to Eco was that the AC practically becomes useless in the current weather of North India.
siddharthgarg is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 12:45   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharthgarg View Post
So I took a long road trip using my ZS EV.

So I would recommend you to plan your trips with stoppages no later than ~200 km if you want peace of mind. And don't worry about wasting a lot of time. The charging is very quick till 80% SOC. You can easily charge 0-80% in 35-40 mins on 50 kW charger. The last 20% takes a lot of time, which you can avoid, if you plan stops properly.
Charging infrastructure seems to be a lot better in the North! I've seen that there are more 50kW chargers up there. It really does make a huge difference. If only we could get 150kW chargers in India. Any road trip with that would be easy. A bio break and tea should give us enough time for an 80% charge easily. Of course, right now, I'd be happy just to get 50 kW chargers at regular intervals.

I'd used a 350 kW Electrify America charger at one of the malls in the US and it was blazing fast!
venom_op is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 20:06   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom_op View Post
Charging infrastructure seems to be a lot better in the North! I've seen that there are more 50kW chargers up there. It really does make a huge difference. If only we could get 150kW chargers in India. Any road trip with that would be easy. A bio break and tea should give us enough time for an 80% charge easily. Of course, right now, I'd be happy just to get 50 kW chargers at regular intervals.

I'd used a 350 kW Electrify America charger at one of the malls in the US and it was blazing fast!
Do remember that the ZS EV is limited to around 75 KW max charging speed. So even if we get the 150 KW chargers, we don’t have the cars to take advantage of them. I think Kona 2022 goes up to 100 KW max charging speed.
shyampsunder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 21:48   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharthgarg View Post
The car doesn’t start charging until you lock it. That obviously rules out sitting inside or switching on AC while charging.
I think they have done this for safety purposes so that no one is inside the car in case any overheating or mishap happens during charging.
That's very unfortunate. Can we unlock the car after it starts charging?
Old 13th June 2022, 07:04   #119
BHPian

You can, but the charging pauses as soon as you unlock and resumes after you lock it again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by varkey View Post
That's very unfortunate. Can we unlock the car after it starts charging?
siddharthgarg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 10:05   #120
BHPian

Any suggestions on the accessories you guys are planning to take from MG and from third parties?

Key accessory categories that I am planning for. Please feel free to add
  1. Car cover-tyvek from MG or some other?
  2. Floor mats-7D, 5D or 3D from MG
  3. Cargo mat- MG or third party
  4. Sun shades for side windows- the ones from MG seem best
  5. Sun shades for the rear window - MG doesn’t provide one, any suggestions?
  6. Sun shade for the panoramic roof - is this needed? Especially because I live in Delhi
  7. Puddle lamp - one from mg is expensive
  8. Scuff plates (Illuminated and otherwise) - should one get these, if yes then from where?
  9. Rear Sill Plates - any suggestions?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks