Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2022, 15:05   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review

The ZS-EV does look like a compelling proposition for those with mostly in-city driving and highway runs of say 150 KM on each side, or upto 300KM each side if one is guaranteed overnight charging facility. My highway runs to my holiday cottage in the hills are like 520KM each way and EV is not an answer, unless I plan overnight halts at hotels with charging capabilities. I also hate to take forced breaks at charging stations over breakfast etc. as I have variable start times on most trips and it is hard to plan the trips too cleanly. Many times, you are returning on a Sunday afternoon, doing an 8 hour drive and must be at work Monday morning, and cannot afford unplanned stops due to charging stations being unavailable etc. Even if one planned an overnight halt for charging, then again, with unreliable power, I always worry of they had a blackout what would I do the next morning

I wish the EVs like MG ZS would be designed with battery swapping facility like we are speaking of now for 2 and 3 wheelers in the city. This would provide a lot more peace of mind, as the experience is essentially like pulling into a fuel station and topping off your tank. I guess this would require a large amount of standardization across manufacturers who are already off to different specs, design and sizes for the battery.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 23rd April 2022 at 15:08.
Old 24th April 2022, 10:17   #32
BHPian

I came across these pictures in the UK ZS EV forum. A simple vinyl wrap on the front end makes the ZS so much more handsome!

I hope there are more mods which become available in due course. Maybe a stick on grille even.
Attached Thumbnails
2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review-img20220417wa0001.jpg  

2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review-img20220417wa0000.jpg  

qaqa is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 12:42   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
The ZS-EV does look like a compelling proposition for those with mostly in-city driving and highway runs of say 150 KM on each side, or upto 300KM each side if one is guaranteed overnight charging facility. My highway runs to my holiday cottage in the hills are like 520KM each way and EV is not an answer, unless I plan overnight halts at hotels with charging capabilities. I also hate to take forced breaks at charging stations over breakfast etc. as I have variable start times on most trips and it is hard to plan the trips too cleanly. Many times, you are returning on a Sunday afternoon, doing an 8 hour drive and must be at work Monday morning, and cannot afford unplanned stops due to charging stations being unavailable etc. Even if one planned an overnight halt for charging, then again, with unreliable power, I always worry of they had a blackout what would I do the next morning

I wish the EVs like MG ZS would be designed with battery swapping facility like we are speaking of now for 2 and 3 wheelers in the city. This would provide a lot more peace of mind, as the experience is essentially like pulling into a fuel station and topping off your tank. I guess this would require a large amount of standardization across manufacturers who are already off to different specs, design and sizes for the battery.
An EV might not be ideal for you if you have such requirements and preferences. Personally, for me, I would need a few breaks on a 500 plus km journey and charging won’t be an issue.
Battery swapping is not a workable idea at all. Would you be ok with swapping your 12 plus lakh battery that is at a 100% SOH (state of health) with an unknown one which might have 20% degradation? What if your battery is only a few months old but the swapped one is 5 years old? This only works with fleets like taxis which run in a small pre determined area. In addition, setting up a charger is easy and cheap. Any hotel, restaurant, rest area or business can easily do so. So you would have thousands of options. If you were limited to swapping, there would be very few stations in some limited areas. Then there are all kinds of problems that would crop up. Imagine a power failure in the middle of the swapping process or some other complication. Would there be trained mechanics available 24/7 to handle this? The area required, the equipment and the cost is far more than a simple charger. Now with chargers available at rates as high as 350KW, you can charge a vehicle in 10 minutes. So swapping is a complete non starter. Some companies might try it by selling a cheaper vehicle with battery as a service concept where you won’t own or pay for the battery. It might work in commercial vehicles and some basic budget EVs. It won’t work for normal personal use. A taxi driver doesn’t want to spend an hour out of this 10 hour shift on charging each day. A private owner doing an occasional trip has no such constraints.
Lobogris is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 22:51   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
The ZS-EV does look like a compelling proposition for those with mostly in-city driving and highway runs of say 150 KM on each side, or upto 300KM each side if one is guaranteed overnight charging facility. My highway runs to my holiday cottage in the hills are like 520KM each way...
I'm actually jealous of people who travel so much that a 500km range is also not enough. I would love to take such long road trips!

I didn't take the opportunity to do these trips when I was younger and I regret that every day. As middle age hits, there are so many responsibilities that long drives and long vacations seem to be unattainable. Maybe I should look forward to retirement then
qaqa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 07:58   #35

I don't think that anyone would drive 520 kms in one go without taking a break unless one is undertaking a specific test. With EVs one has to plan the journey and infrastructure is coming up faster than before. The way I see it is that it allows for a more enjoyable road trip with enforcing breaks for refreshment for both the car and self which in the long run is a good thing.
Old 27th April 2022, 08:45   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaqa View Post
I came across these pictures in the UK ZS EV forum. A simple vinyl wrap on the front end makes the ZS so much more handsome!

I hope there are more mods which become available in due course. Maybe a stick on grille even.
I saw the same. There's another video on youtube in which even the roof is blacked out. I was so in love with the look.

I got really close to changing the booking of the EV from Black to White since I though the look would be cooler on a white ZS EV. But then I realized that the logo will always have a white background. Another thought I had was getting it painted. But then finally, when I called the dealership for a color change (mind you, I had already changed the color once before), they said that this would now alter my place in the waiting list as I am very close to the delivery. So I guess it will be the black one for me afterall.
ankitsingh7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 09:44   #37
Team-BHP Support

Aashish Jeswani shares this information and drops in a query via this Team-BHP share page.

Quote:
I purchased a new MG ZS EV on 06/04/2022. On 13/04/2022, the car stopped responding. It was not starting. A technical person from the local MG dealership came over the next day and tried to do a lot of things, but the car didn't start. Then he used the digital key feature in the MG iSMART app and the car started.

The car was taken to workshop on 14/04/2022. Till date, there is no clear official response on the working of the vehicle and the dealership is just giving false promises. The MG company people also call me, but they don't give any commitment.

I request you to please help me with how to take things ahead.

I have attached pictures of workshop job sheet.
2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review-0001.jpg

2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review-0002.jpg

2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review-0003.jpg

2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review-0004.jpg

2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review-0005.jpg

2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review-0006.jpg
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st May 2022, 08:55   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

Did you get a resolution to this? What was the exact issue? My assumption is that the car was unable to identify the key fob, so either the key is faulty or the car proximity sensors are. One very rare scenario is that the pairing of the key and the car has been affected.
Old 1st May 2022, 15:09   #39
Senior - BHPian

MG ZS EV has received 1000 bookings in the month of April.

Name:  SmartSelect_20220501150533_Twitter.gif
Views: 1966
Size:  3.84 MB

Excite variant of the ZS EV would be available from July 2022.

Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 1st May 2022 at 15:18.
Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 12:40   #40
BHPian

I took delivery of my ZS on Apirl 20th. Done 350 km on so far and range seems to be around 35km for 10% of battery consumption in Bangalore traffic. What are others getting?

Do you charge to 100% as recommended for LFP batteries or stick to charging to 80%. For LFP batteries, Tesla recommended charging to 100% to get an accurate SoC and range estimate. My ZS also doesn't have an option to cap charging at 80%. What is the optimal approach?
dsvikki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 08:31   #41
BHPian

I don't think they have LFP batteries in the Indian version. as per my discussion with mg technical person its mmc battery here. The previous version for sure had mmc. Even I was thinking that as per the UK version this should have LFP here due to extreme weather and lower cost and the fact that 100% charging needed. And also that its life is much longer than NMC. When people drive electric cars for 4-5 years or 150000 km and find out the battery degradation in NMC batteries and have to replace batteries that till put off the whole EV market. By that time the market would have been taken over by blade batteries and these cars / batteries would be redundant. The technical person clearly said there is still no option to repair any battery cell in the mg battery in India due to cost and designing in the Indian version. if any one cell goes the whole battery will be changed.

The battery kind is written under the seat.

If you have the car kindly check it and send a picture so everyone can know the exact specifications of the new battery. This was done by another forum member in UK. You might need to do some carpet removing to find it. That will tell you if you need to charge it to 20-80% to preserve health in case it mmc or 100% if it's LFP. I think the technical people in MG are not really bothered to tell everyone that its NMC and the 20-80 % range is only about 150-170 if used properly to keep the health. The battery management system in NMC has been modified in UK to select the maximum charge to 80 or 90 or 50 % as per your need. Not so in LFP. please check and post a picture of the cell type. Thanks.

Last edited by Aditya : 7th May 2022 at 19:41. Reason: Typos
sunny1974 is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 8th May 2022, 10:13   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny1974 View Post
I don't think they have LFP batteries in the Indian version. as per my discussion with mg technical person its mmc battery here. The previous version for sure had mmc. Even I was thinking that as per the UK version this should have LFP here due to extreme weather and lower cost and the fact that 100% charging needed.
Based on UK forums, it looks like only LFP battery based cars don't have option to cap charging at 80%. Based on people buying the ZS EV in India, even they don't have this battery charge capping feature. I am willing to wager that we have also received the LFP variant.
Old 8th May 2022, 16:05   #43
BHPian

The ground clearance of 177 mm worries me and scares me. It may scrape speed breakers and get hit on potholes. I already booked the vehicle 4 months back and should get a delivery in a couple of months. In fact I have also booked the Nexon long range. I am in a dilemma as to which one to pick. My basic priority is good ground clearance which becomes even more important during monsoons. Kindly enlighten and advice.
Old 8th May 2022, 16:16   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patil View Post
The ground clearance of 177 mm worries me and scares me. It may scrape speed breakers and get hit on potholes. I already booked the vehicle 4 months back and should get a delivery in a couple of months. In fact I have also booked the Nexon long range. I am in a dilemma as to which one to pick. My basic priority is good ground clearance which becomes even more important during monsoons. Kindly enlighten and advice.
177mm is more than enough. My current car (i20) has just 170mm and I have only ever scraped it once; when I had 5 passengers in a car and went over 2 large speedbreakers placed one after the other a bit fast.
Cresterk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 07:45   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyampsunder View Post
Based on UK forums, it looks like only LFP battery based cars don't have option to cap charging at 80%. Based on people buying the ZS EV in India, even they don't have this battery charge capping feature. I am willing to wager that we have also received the LFP variant.
There was an article from MG motors india where they recycled their first Lithium ion battery from the earlier zs ev model. All the promotions for zs ev have been for Lithium batteries. I doubt that they have nmc batteries.
ankitsingh7 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks