Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2022, 14:37   #181
BHPian

Re: 2022 Maruti XL6 Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraWeller View Post
Hi, Can you tell me if you have done any proper hill driving in this car. I cant seem to find any information about how this 6 speed AT performs on heavy inclines and hairpin bends.
Hi, I have been to Mumbai (From Pune) via Lonavala and Khandala with total 5 adults in the car and I did not feel any issues with any climbing or bends over the Ghats.
achintatri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 22:33   #182
BHPian

Any idea when XL6 audio player update will support Android Auto wirelessly ?
Currently it is only via a wired connection.
Old 11th June 2022, 18:56   #183
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

So, finally my SA got around to bringing the car over for a test drive. Having driven an automatic for over 65000km, (my trusty honda jazz), this was a big downer. Sounded very loud, was not responsive when throttle was floored and yes, overtaking had to be planned well in advance. How’s the manual? If that’s any better, may well consider that. Right now torn between Innova gx and this. The test drive did create a lot of doubts in my mind.
Old 11th June 2022, 20:14   #184
BHPian

I am also looking to buy a new 6/7 seater in 12L budget. Planning to take XL6 test drive tomorrow, will post the feedback soon. I tried to book Carens (Prestige petrol 1.5) but was told it has 9-12 months waiting, so might prefer XL6 though its exceeding my budget
Old 11th June 2022, 21:15   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

6 speed AT is good at cruising, new engine is super refined and silent, NVH feels a lot better than before. I always used to remember Ertiga and XL6 letting in a lot of ambient noise in the cabin almost as if the windows weren't fully closed.

The biggest USP is the upgraded motor that packs in a lot of tech along with a stronger smarthybrid system for brilliant efficiency. 20kmpl from a 6 speed torque converter for a 6 seater MPV is almost like a proper hybrid.
As mentioned earlier, I took a test drive of the AT alpha + today. I was really surprised at the noise emanating from the engine whenever the accelerator was depressed. My datum is the honda jazz cvt which was stunningly silent (compared to this). Heck, my diesel duster is
more silent than this engine.

The MID was showing 8.6kmpl in a car driven nearly 6500km which again surprised me as I was expecting much much more.
Old 12th June 2022, 19:53   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
As mentioned earlier, I took a test drive of the AT alpha + today. I was really surprised at the noise emanating from the engine whenever the accelerator was depressed. My datum is the honda jazz cvt which was stunningly silent (compared to this). Heck, my diesel duster is
more silent than this engine.

The MID was showing 8.6kmpl in a car driven nearly 6500km which again surprised me as I was expecting much much more.
Probably it was a very poorly maintained TD vehicle.
I picked up a new manual Alpha XL6 2 weeks back.

The engine is pretty silent hardly any noise. When I took it out of the showroom it showed a fuel avg of 6 KMPL. but after clocking 120 KM's the avg now shows 10.5 KMPL. (80% of these KM's were in Bangalore city traffic ) so cant expect much.

As regards to overtaking .. YES ... you have to plan your overtakes well in advance. its not a punchy engine especially when it is fully loaded with all the seats occupied.

But overall in my opinion the refinement is very good.
Fillmore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 14:32   #187
BHPian

I guess the detuned engine has made it worse for fuel efficiency, since the driver is now almost flooring the pedal to make it move. This may also explain for the loud engine noise. Folks who had ridden Kinetic Honda in the bygone era may relate more to this effect.
low_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 23:33   #188
BHPian

Woah, aren't the fuel efficiency figures way too low for supposedly low performance engine.
YanTra Makto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 11:18   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YanTra Makto View Post
Woah, aren't the fuel efficiency figures way too low for supposedly low performance engine.
Exactly! That’s what I have asked too earlier. Don’t know what has Maruti achieved by this exercise.
Old 17th June 2022, 12:49   #190
BHPian

Very Nice review guys.

Just one question to all patrons as such.

Is this car even relevant now? With Kia Carens eating up the market with a beautiful kit and well thought out variant and a punchy engine for enthusiasts, do you think this car will have a market?

IMHO, nexa or maruti, should either drop this oversized mpv type segment or either bring one new car with an impeccable pricing strategy and overalls.

The only thing going bad with Kia might be the fact that they arent able to handle their success, with their production lines slammed and waiting periods exceeding 6 months.

What are your views on this, guys?
Old 17th June 2022, 14:10   #191
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shresan23 View Post
Nonsensical. Just because KIA has a car in this segment "for enthusiasts" means Maruti has to stop its product? Carens caters to a portion of the segment, while XL6 caters another portion. Are all customers enthusiasts?
romeomidhun is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 14:28   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Very Nice review guys.

Is this car even relevant now?
If a competitor introduce a new car in a segment, how the rest of the players in the segment become irrelevant? To me, your comment just looks like a monopolistic view. Competition is good in every segment, and more the number of options, it is good for the customer also. And regarding the relevance of such a product, only the sales data can provide a clear picture. So better wait for an year an then look at the MPV sales statistics for the current financial year. The products which are relevant to the market (not to the enthusiast) will be there in the podium positions.

Last edited by sreejithkk : 17th June 2022 at 14:30.
sreejithkk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 15:15   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Nonsensical. Just because KIA has a car in this segment "for enthusiasts" means Maruti has to stop its product? Carens caters to a portion of the segment, while XL6 caters another portion. Are all customers enthusiasts?
No no. This is not about only the enthusiasts. The thing here is, imo, XL6 is way off the mark in this segment. And I didn't say Maruti HAS to stop its product. It is a do or die effort that is required to revive its market in THIS segment. Trust me, I've owned 6 cars and 4 of them are Maruti and 1 Nexa car.

Other segments are working fine enough. XL6 comes up with more and more upgrades and yet, fails to make a point. I've seen more Kia Carens on the road than the XL6.

Secondly, i feel that both of them cater to the same budget 3 row car segment

Honestly, no offence intended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejithkk View Post
If a competitor introduce a new car in a segment, how the rest of the players in the segment become irrelevant? To me, your comment just looks like a monopolistic view. Competition is good in every segment, and more the number of options, it is good for the customer also. And regarding the relevance of such a product, only the sales data can provide a clear picture. So better wait for an year an then look at the MPV sales statistics for the current financial year. The products which are relevant to the market (not to the enthusiast) will be there in the podium positions.
Yes your point holds validity.

But I am not generalising the statement. I mean Kia introduced an EV car, yet I didn't say Tata has to stop its production. Mahindra introduced Scorpio and I didn't say Hyundai has to stop its SUV production. In other segments the competitors also give out tough worthy products.

In this, imo, this car seems way off competition that Kia renders competition moot. Yes there are other cars in this segment that provide competition, but unfortunately XL6 is not one of them.

About the number of options part. If you go for small hatchbacks there are i20s, Polos etc, if you go to sedans there is City, Amaze, Ciaz etc.

But here, XL6 is pole apart from the needs of the segment. They should just change their usp at least.

Sorry, but no offence. It's just my opinion.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 17th June 2022 at 16:00. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Missing capitalizations.
Old 17th June 2022, 15:27   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Very Nice review guys.

Is this car even relevant now? With Kia Carens eating up the market with a beautiful kit and well thought out variant and a punchy engine for enthusiasts, do you think this car will have a market?

IMHO, nexa or maruti, should either drop this oversized mpv type segment or either bring one new car with an impeccable pricing strategy and overalls.

Sorry but what kind of business logic can justify Maruti stopping production of a vehicle that sells approximately 13-15k combined (Ertiga and XL6) at an appropriate selling price of 1 million rupees!
coldice4u is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 15:54   #195
BHPian

Quote:

But here, xl6 is pole apart from the needs of the segment. They should just change their usp atleast

Sorry, but no offense.
Its just my opinion
No offense taken and everyone has the right to voice their opinion. The statement "xl6 is pole apart from the needs of the segment" is just your opinion and my opinion will be different. The opinion of the the market will be resulted in the sales figures. Before the introduction of Carens, Ertiga + XL6 were together selling 12K to 14K per month. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...rtiga-xl6.html (How Maruti cracked the Compact MPV code with the 2nd-gen Ertiga & XL6)).
Even after introduction of Carens, that figure remains more or less the same.
So irrespective of our individual opinion, the market thinks this product has relevance, hence Maruti/Nexa are able to sell it.
sreejithkk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed