Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2023, 17:14   #436

Re: Our "GROGU" 2022 Maruti XL6 AT Review (Alpha/Splendid Silver)

Hi Santhasa,
Actually I began reading/researching about car care and detailing only this March. Apart from the Shampoo Washing and Waxing regimen, we haven't tried any other treatment. Though as you mentioned Ceramic or a Graphene has been running in my mind. Specially with the upcoming monsoon...more so.
I might try a DIY Ceramic treatment, not sure yet which brand / product to go with. If you or others have had any good suggestions I would be game to try them.

Cheers
Vicks79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 17:24   #437

Re: Our "GROGU" 2022 Maruti XL6 AT Review (Alpha/Splendid Silver)

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
For what it’s worth, my shoe size is 12, hasn’t happened with me yet. Done 14000 km in 6 months so far.
Good to know that you aren't encountering any problems even though you wear size 12 shoes. Also great to know that you have already done 14000 Km in 6 months.

What I have realized is that my driving experience dramatically varies with different footwear. Over time I have found that specially for longer drives, I prefer a specific shoe which enhances my drive experience.
I would have loved to try some driving specific shoes, I have seen some from Puma brand, but they have never been available in size 12, forget even size 11.
Old 7th June 2023, 15:54   #438
BHPian

Re: 2022 Maruti XL6 Facelift Review

11000 kms and 3rd free service update: 2022 XL6 Alpha AT

Every car feels a little improved after servicing so does mine (Blue XL6 aka Casper). I have already mentioned this in my previous posts and would like to emphasise the same again (for any purchase decisions) that XL6 is a great car if following are your primary requirements:
  1. You need good amount of luggage space along with 5-6 passengers (even if all are adults)
  2. You need comfortable seating for ALL passengers for all day long drives
  3. You need a smooth and silent cruising car
  4. You need a reliable and niggle free car (touchwood for me till now)
  5. You need a car that is very easy to drive in ALL kind of traffic despite being a long 6-7 seater car (I have very well managed to squeeze her in and out through some very tight/blocked parking spaces)
  6. You are not an enthusiast driver who cannot drive (or live) without being ahead of everyone on the road
  7. You did not find any other option in the same class as well as price range with 6 airbags (although this one has 4) (OK, Kia Carens is an option but if you consider total cost of ownership, after sales and VFM factor, I would still vote for XL6)
  8. You love cruise control with easy manageable controls on the go

Now who should avoid (inputs based on 3 services and many road trips till now)
  • If you are looking for a rocket performance in overtaking and sudden acceleration otherwise
  • If you are very particular about 6 airbags
  • If you are very particular about Engine being a diesel one
  • If you are in general an enthusiast driver
  • If you are looking for a double digit FE figures in the city like conditions (with lots of traffic signals and bumpers where frequent gear shifts cannot be avoided)
  • If you need your car AC to chill the cabin in less than 5 mins after exposure of your car to the scorching sun for more than 30 mins
  • If you need middle seat to fold flat completely to carry those large IKEA furniture boxes

Apart from the above shortcomings (where few can be ignored and few are rather trade-offs), XL6 does whatever it is supposed to do (carrying 6-7 passengers comfortably with a linear based acceleration and cruising speeds). I am definitely concerned about the city FE and even highway mileage that is somewhere around 15-16 (I drive around 99 kmph most of the times whenever and wherever I can drive).

Now, before going deep into the FE correction through the workshop, I have decided to first ride the car completely on manual mode (using paddle shifters that are saviours) for about a month and if still the FE doesn't improve, address the same through the workshop.

BTW, the worst that the MIDI has shown till now is 6.3 and the best 20 (yeah the same MIDI, the same car, the same driver but different road). I drive in 'D' mode 99% of the time and 'M' mode was only used for testing purposes or sometimes in error since that's the obvious mode that the gear level automatically and conveniently slots into when one move or needs to move from 'P' to 'D'. BTW, with practise and regular driving, this error reduces almost completely.

Everyday when I see Scorpio's, Safari's, I feel like exchange BUT considering that most of the Maruti Suzuki cars including my XL6 alpha AT is a niggle free car (as compared to some of the horror stories in some other SUVs), I feel like waiting till I have enough money and peace of mind to reach a stage where I can ignore any niggles on those 25L+ automatic 6-7 seaters (No offense to any such owners).

BTW, XL6 now has OTA updates for wireless android/apple car play and mine is working perfectly fine (works 95 out of 100 times otherwise a phone reboot takes care of the same).

And Yes, the JKTyre TPMS as well as the Window automatic sunshades (both third party accessories) are perfectly working fine too.

One last thing, I still consider XL6 the most VFM car for the features, reliability and the space that it has to offer in the market today. Drivability is subjective. FE though needs to be understood properly before making any Final comment/decision.

Stay Safe! Keep Driving!

Best Regards,
Achint

Last edited by achintatri : 7th June 2023 at 16:01.
achintatri is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 18:26   #439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achintatri View Post
[*]If you are looking for a double digit FE figures in the city like conditions (with lots of traffic signals and bumpers where frequent gear shifts cannot be avoided)
What are the numbers you are getting for avg fuel effeciency?

Quote:
[*]If you need your car AC to chill the cabin in less than 5 mins after exposure of your car to the scorching sun for more than 30 mins
Is the AC not cooling the car? auto mode or manual?

Quote:
And Yes, the JKTyre TPMS as well as the Window automatic sunshades (both third party accessories) are perfectly working fine too.
Can you tell me the brand of automatic sunshades you are using and what is the cost? Did you add despite having IR and UV cut glass because AC wasnt working well?

Sorry for the many questions. Thanks for the detailed review
Shrek8421 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 22:49   #440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrek8421 View Post
What are the numbers you are getting for avg fuel effeciency?

Is the AC not cooling the car? auto mode or manual?

Can you tell me the brand of automatic sunshades you are using and what is the cost? Did you add despite having IR and UV cut glass because AC wasnt working well?

Sorry for the many questions. Thanks for the detailed review
Hi, you can checkout the sunshades at the carhatke website. I used the sunshades because of a baby seat fixed at one of the middle seats, nothing to do with UV cut glasses or AC. UV cut glasses do their job well. This is one Maruti that eliminates outside noise to an acceptable level if not to a 100 percent quiet environment.

As far as AC is concerned, there is no issue with the same. It's only that when car is parked in sun for long, it takes time to cool the cabin considering it's all black (and that would be true for any car with black interiors).

Also, the workshop tried charging me for the replacement AC filter costing 400 inr during the third free service but I resisted and told them that it would be replaced under warranty (I got it changed free of cost as there was a foul smell coming when AC was off and only fan was working). No issues in AC now.

BTW, in Pune, despite temperatures now reaching almost 45 in Summers, I have never felt the need for the car AC to go below 26 otherwise it starts getting chilly.

Also the fan settings for rear passengers has never crossed number 2.

As far as avg FE is concerned , right now it is showing 10.3 kmpl.

Hope I answered all your questions. Happy to answer any other querry you might have.

Best Regards,
Achint
achintatri is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 09:11   #441
BHPian

Quote:
drive in 'D' mode 99% of the time and 'M' mode was only used for testing purposes or sometimes in error since that's the obvious mode that the gear level automatically and conveniently slots into when one move or needs to move from 'P' to 'D'. BTW, with practise and regular driving, this error reduces almost completely.
Achint
This error can be eliminated totally.

You need to push the gear shift release button (under the knob) ONLY when:
1. Moving out of / or into P.
2. Moving into R or M.

If you release the button after moving the stick out from P, then it will hard stop at D (never go to M inadvertently).

In fact now if you do not press the button, the stick moves ONLY between N and D.

To go to M/R/P, you need to press the button again before the stick can move to those positions.

This is confusing only in description. Once you get it, it is a no brainer.

Hope this helps.
drsarao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 09:20   #442

"One last thing, I still consider XL6 the most VFM car for the features, reliability and the space that it has to offer in the market today. Drivability is subjective. FE though needs to be understood properly before making any Final comment/decision."

Well written Achint, as a XL6 Alpha AT owner myself, I feel exactly what you have highlighted. I too was apprehensive about driving around the car in tight spaces, but the 360 camera makes this really easy. Primarily use this in the two seater sense, but it always rises to the occasion when a full load is needed.
For sure the rev happy and punchy engines of some cars do make you dream of them when they coast past you, but then you enjoy what you have
Vicks79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 15:29   #443

Quote:

Now, before going deep into the FE correction through the workshop, I have decided to first ride the car completely on manual mode (using paddle shifters that are saviours) for about a month and if still the FE doesn't improve, address the same through the workshop.
In my Ertiga, M mode will not allow you to upshift as early as it would do if you drive in D mode. For example, in M mode, you can not shift from 3rd gear to 4th if speed is below 40Km. But in D mode, it upshifts much early. This means, engine revs more in M mode than D, Hence, I suspect FE will not be better if you drive in M mode.
Old 12th June 2023, 15:51   #444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSMM View Post
In my Ertiga, M mode will not allow you to upshift as early as it would do if you drive in D mode. For example, in M mode, you can not shift from 3rd gear to 4th if speed is below 40Km. But in D mode, it upshifts much early. This means, engine revs more in M mode than D, Hence, I suspect FE will not be better if you drive in M mode.
Hi, How do u know which gear you are in if you are driving in 'D' mode since the only time it displays the gear number is when you drive in 'M' mode or u use paddle shifters.

I have however observed that driving in 'M' mode only helps in changing from 2>3>4 since downshifts happen by themselves.

But in any case, driving in 'M' mode for longer time cannot be termed as 'convenient'. It's always better to drive in 'D' mode most of the times and use paddle shifters that work best from 6>5>4 for planned overtakes and speed gains. Upshifting using paddle shifters (in any mode) only makes the rev counter excited and not the car nor the driver.

So I am planning to tell my Service Advisor to either work on the performance or the fuel economy since I am not happy with either right now AND I think I am correct in assuming that I should get atleast one of them from my 2022 XL6 zeta AT.

Best Regards,
Achint
Old 12th June 2023, 16:06   #445

Quote:
Hi, How do u know which gear you are in if you are driving in 'D' mode since the only time it displays the gear number is when you drive in 'M' mode or u use paddle shifters.
You are right. There is no display of gear position in D mode. But I have checked by watching engine RPM change as you start driving from standstill and counted each transition to verify this behaviour of 6AT gearbox
Old 12th June 2023, 23:09   #446
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSMM View Post
That is correct - M mode needs a bit of a nudge before it can move to the next gear. Not just the XL6, I've seen this happen even in VWs famous DQ200 (in Polo GT/ Octavia) for 1>2, and its extremely irritating, because it downshifts early too.

Quote:
So I am planning to tell my Service Advisor to either work on the performance or the fuel economy since I am not happy with either right now AND I think I am correct in assuming that I should get atleast one of them from my 2022 XL6 zeta AT.
The car is fairly fuel economical, mostly your right foot determines how much you get. It is not a performance vehicle, but usually meets every need.
If you want to test its FE, reset the FE trip and put in on cruise at 70-80kmph (with less than full load but AC on), let it run for 5kms or so, if its clearly not above 20km/l, something's not right. (note: you can cancel the cruise and resume, because traffic conditions may not allow 100% of it)
SLK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 14:55   #447
BHPian

Just back from a 1000+ km long trip BLR-Belgaum-BLR on my BIL's XL6 MT.

Stats:
Loading: 3 adults + 3 kids + 80% boot loaded
Tyre pressure: ~30psi for full load, nitrogen.
AC: On 100% of the time, 24-25°C,
Method of measurement: MID

Driving style: Cruise control 90%(90 to 100km per hour) on highways
Highway fuel efficiency:: 19.8kml (300km range)

Driving style: Sedate with 30% bumper to bumper traffic
City fuel efficiency: 11 - 12 kmpl(60 kmpl)

Points to note:
K15C behaves like a typical maruti engine. No immediate power and you need to downshift. But linear acceleration is present and no issues hauling a full load.
Highway drive needs a 6th gear. On the 5th gear it is at 2500 RPM and 95km per hour.
The above problems should be resolved with a 6 speed AT

100+ speeds at 2500 rpm would be perfect. Increasing the speed to 100 - 110 km/hr drops the mileage to 16.8km (200 km range)
Stick shifts are smooth and precise. Clutch travel is not too long.
NVH is good. No noise inside cabin even without any music played.
Ride quality for passengers in 1st 2 rows is good but 3rd row is bumpy.
Body roll is negligent at speeds and barely noticeable on slower corners.
Shrek8421 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th June 2023, 12:31   #448
BHPian

Quote:
  1. You need good amount of luggage space along with 5-6 passengers (even if all are adults)
  2. You need comfortable seating for ALL passengers for all day long drives
  3. You need a smooth and silent cruising car
  4. You need a reliable and niggle free car (touchwood for me till now)
  5. You need a car that is very easy to drive in ALL kind of traffic despite being a long 6-7 seater car (I have very well managed to squeeze her in and out through some very tight/blocked parking spaces)
  6. You are not an enthusiast driver who cannot drive (or live) without being ahead of everyone on the road
  7. You did not find any other option in the same class as well as price range with 6 airbags (although this one has 4) (OK, Kia Carens is an option but if you consider total cost of ownership, after sales and VFM factor, I would still vote for XL6)
  8. You love cruise control with easy manageable controls on the go
I own a Dec 2022 12k kms run XL6 AT. I totally agree with all the points you listed. For somebody who is not in a rush and enjoys sedate fuss free driving, this car is gem. In fact my first 5k kms kms came up as part of a Noida-Goa-Noida trip. For 90-110 cruising and city commutes its a very comfortable ride. It definitely spoils one with space and difficult to turn to smaller car after using it . We carried 8 bags, third row folded on that 15 day trip. Total trip average (even after covering almost all the Maharashtra ghats) was a staggering 19 kmpl. Even from point of city driving one does not feel the bulk. My wife is more comfortable with this, than my diesel clutch Figo.

I would admit, that i never thought of buying a Maruti before this. But due to sheer method of elimination and car appealing to wife I went ahead with this. It has made me fall in love with the Japanese refinement and fuss free ownership. All this when I am coming from a remapped 125PS Figo.

My only pain is that with only 2 up in front seats the rear suspension jumps little too much over poorly designed minimal width speed breakers even at slow speeds. Anything with 3 or more the suspension is perfect and does not compromise the ground clearance as much as Carens. Another thing about 0w16 is not too comforting to mind in Delhi heat. I am sticking to 5k drain intervals.

Last edited by saurabh041086 : 19th June 2023 at 12:46.
Old 19th June 2023, 14:48   #449
BHPian

Hi,

Could someone please assist me with the XL6 waiting period?

I booked it on April 15th, and after 8 weeks, the sales person informed me that they have yet to receive allocation from Maruti.

Is this usual, or is Maruti prioritizing other models?

Regards,
Samdarshi Pali
Old 19th June 2023, 22:36   #450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsarao View Post
This error can be eliminated totally.

If you release the button after moving the stick out from P, then it will hard stop at D (never go to M inadvertently).
Thanks for the tip Doc. I no longer Shift to M Mode accidently now since your post.

On a related note, we typically are just 2 people in car and AC takes time to cool things down. I was wondering if anyone using any partition to isolate front row from middle row and where one can source them. Idea is to have less surface area for cooling in a otherwise big car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks