Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2022, 09:55   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2022 Maruti XL6 Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Maruti: "If you want a relaxed driving without the hassles of shifting gears, we think you are a lazy non-enthusiast fellow. And most probably looking for FE also. Go with the auto mode.
Hope this is sarcasm, this is not 2010 where we have slow 4 speed AT with naturally aspirated engines, Mahindra sells 200bhp turbo petrol with AT box and still returns good performance as well as mileage for the segment. Polo GT Tsi proved AT can be fun too, efficient when driven slow, fact when you gun the accelerator. Max mileage with slow performance honor now goes to AMT anyway, AT have come a long way now.

For someone like me who drives around 30k km/year, manual can be too taxing, good performance also can be a great active safety mechanism, where one can gun their way out of trouble, perform overtakes without too much planning or stress so that one remains fresh even after 100km commute.

We still have swift diesel at our home, so don't judge me as a hater, I just want the company to perform better.
giri1.8 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 10:13   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Oh yes, I quite liked the 4AT of my brother's XL6, and dare I say, better than the MT I have for most purposes. The only downside it had was that the GB seems ever active in hunting gears and it was quite easy to confuse it if the accelerator pedal input was varied quickly. Based on my driving, my MT does the 0-100 sprint in around 12 seconds while the 4AT did it in around 13. It only lacked in the initial launch where MT gave a better control.

Agreed the XL6 is not intended for such purposes, but that doesn't mean the engine should become so lethargic.
You'd be the best authority to verify whether it was the same gearbox as on the previous XL6, but we had a 2012 Dzire with a 4 Speed Automatic Gearbox on the 1.2L K12 engine and I loved how it drove. The shift quality was smooth, and the 2 and L modes on the gearbox along with an O/D on/off button made it really easy to gain speed when necessary. For the city, it never felt inadequate though I missed the extra gear on intercity drives
fluidicjoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 11:21   #63

Is it possible to retrofit a turbo unit to this engine and make it a better in terms of acceleration ?
Old 28th April 2022, 11:39   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Maruti: "If you want a relaxed driving without the hassles of shifting gears, we think you are a lazy non-enthusiast fellow. And most probably looking for FE also. Go with the auto mode.

Or, if you want some quick shifting and sprite overtaking, we think you are an 'enthusiastic and involving' driver. Put the gear shifter into M mode and use the new paddle shifters we have provided. Or just buy the 5-speed manual version.

We at Maruti are not in a position to give you the convenience of an automatic, price of an AMT, reliability of a TC, performance of a sports car and fuel efficiency of a bike all at the same time. This is the best combination we can provide. For the same reason, we are providing AMTs in lower segment cars."
Customers seeking for an Auto transmission are not always lazy or non-enthusiast. I, for example, have a knee problem for long time (perhaps due to some sports injury). And I face excruciating pain while driving my manual car in bumper to bumper traffic in Delhi-NCR or recent traffic jams in Himalayan foothills after driving 7-8 hours downhill. Just for information, otherwise I am quite fit and regularly do trekking and hiking in Himalayas, some are solo-trekking (if you at all understand what is solo-trekking). Hence marking customers seeking AT as Lazy in a generalized manner is perhaps not correct.

Coming to fuel efficiency, despite of being a relatively newbie driver, I can extract good FE from my car or any other car- small hatchbacks I have driven so far. There is nothing wrong to drive sanely and seek for a better fuel efficiency and preserve the resources (fuel here).

Even the so called inconvenient AMT can be taken into Manual mode and tricky situations can be handled safely. Hence the availability of M mode in the XL6/ Ertiga is good enough I guess. As a relatively newbie, I couldn't understand how exactly it need to be driven in M mode (I was comparing it with my experience of AMT). Hence I wanted to know the details.

I am expecting similar specifications, performance and behaviour of engine+transmission in upcoming Brezza/ S-cross.

Yesterday I came to know that in D mode the instrument console in XL6 does not show the gear number. Is it true?

If yes, it is not a good design in my opinion. (M mode shows the gear number). And I couldn't understand how did they miss it. While changing over to M mode I would like to know beforehand which gear I am on. And then act in M accordingly. The very basis of switching over to M mode is more control or quick maneuver. We need to know the situation beforehand. This is a design fault in my view (from control system and control console design perspective).

Last edited by RijuC : 28th April 2022 at 12:03.
RijuC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 12:31   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post

Yesterday I came to know that in D mode the instrument console in XL6 does not show the gear number. Is it true?
Yes, ratios are only displayed in M mode. Weird choice.
Old 28th April 2022, 12:48   #66
BHPian

I noticed that the review mentioned that the smart hybrid system had gotten an upgrade. Any details on this?
Old 28th April 2022, 12:48   #67
BHPian

I see a lot of reactions on the new 6 speed AT. We need to understand that the only time and place where (as per the reviews) it is not 'performing' as per an enthusiast' wish is on long stretches of highways where a driver needs to overtake an already fast moving vehicle suddenly or may be in a city condition where there is an opportunity to overtake at high speed.

Guys, please understand that the MPVs are not supposed to be driven enthusiastically especially when you have your family inside the vehicle.

MPVs should keep the families cocooned inside with the best possible cruising and driving experience in city as well as highway roads OR even hilly roads for that reason.

If you need enthusiastic engines with the cars, you should be looking at powerful engines with highest safety records and then can continue driving the same with your family.

If you talk about happy family outings whether short or long, XL6/Ertiga are more than adequate to take care of the same. There are number of ownership reviews in this forum to prove it.

Regarding performance, till 80 kmph of speed, the 6 speed AT performs very well in 'D' mode as per some of the latest reviews on Youtube. For any speed above the same, one can always engage the 'M' mode.

This 'M' mode is capable of also doing what the 'L' and '2' mode in the last 4AT were doing.

If you are the person who would be happy for easy cruising and riding capabilities of a big car/MPV like XL6 and occasional burst of power using 'M' mode, XL6/Ertiga would suffice your need.

No other MPV would provide you a mix of driving experience and give you a more than respectable fuel economy in the time where Petrol has already crossed Rs. 120/L and is only going to go north further.

So let's respect Maruti's decision based on the current market conditions and not base our opinions on those automobile bloggers/vloggers who are more interested to judge ALL the cars on 0-100 timings and lack of features that are not even used majority of the times.

In fact majority of them would TD the 6/7 seater vehicles with only one person driving and they call it professional reviews.

So better to trust your friends and family for reviews (best is your own) rather than taking these youtubers/bloggers on the face value.

BTW, here is a link for part of my PDI for XL6 Alpha AT.

achintatri is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 13:01   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
I own the first gen Ertiga. And it is a pain to keep the door open, when parked on uneven surface.
The door is so huge, Maruti should think of an electric sliding door just like Toyota Velfire. It will add to the premium quotient of XL6 along with being really practical in our tight parking spaces.
silverado is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 13:02   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Prices in Bangalore:

BTW did anyone notice, 0-100 timings of the New XL6 AT is a slow ~18 seconds! Initially I thought it was a mistake on Overdrive's part, but then few other malyalam reviewers did the sprint in around 17.xx seconds.

17/18 seconds is not possible for a 100+ BHP car of this size/weight, no matter how slow the transmission. Wait for more videos/tests to be conducted.

Autocar says the 0-100 time is "over 15 seconds", which is far more believable.
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-rev...ad-test-424120
d3mon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 13:36   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin1397 View Post
I noticed that the review mentioned that the smart hybrid system had gotten an upgrade. Any details on this?
It's reportedly a higher capacity Li-ion battery, so capable of providing an assist longer than before (we verified if it was a stronger or longer assist, they confirmed it's the latter). The regeneration is also more efficient than before, and is pretty aggressive on the AT which essentially freewheels off-throttle while regen kicks in (visible on one of the MID views).
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 13:50   #71
Senior - BHPian

@chetan_Rao, one of the tiny miny detail was on the power windows and other door-mounted buttons. They are non-illuminated and painful to find in the dark.

Not sure if you were able to check on this ? since this was a daytime review!
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 14:03   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
@chetan_Rao, one of the tiny miny detail was on the power windows and other door-mounted buttons. They are non-illuminated and painful to find in the dark.
All 3 of our Suzukis have non-illuminated door buttons. I think it might be the same here. Equally annoying is the non-illuminated headlight leveller knob.
Old 28th April 2022, 14:04   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post

Not sure if you were able to check on this ? since this was a daytime review!
Could not check, but wouldn't be surprised it they weren't. It's the same old door-mounted console they seem to have an unhealthy attachment to, given how long (and how across the board) they've used it.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 14:16   #74
BHPian

I know we cannot compare the new XL6 to the Carens for now, but on comparing it with the stablemate S-Cross, how is the ride comfort of the XL6? And its Steering Feel?
Old 28th April 2022, 14:20   #75
BHPian

I couldn't make peace with the 4AT gearbox earlier as I felt it was too slow. I felt that this anomaly will be resolved as and when new gearbox will be introduced by Maruti.

And now all the talks of 18sec time for 0-100 sprint are disappointing. Not that I want a scorcher, but a decent nip from 0 till 120kmph along with enough power for overtaking is not an uphill expectation. I have been waiting for too long and seems like I will end up with some compromise even after a budget of 20L.
headbanger is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed