Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2022, 17:13   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2022 Maruti XL6 Facelift Review

As someone who drives Ertiga, I feel the car is not as planted as a sedan or even some good hatchbacks at speeds over 100 kmph, add to that, the lacklustre braking with no ESP for manual makes it riskier to drive the car enthusiastically. Looks like even Maruti knew about this

Maybe we are reading too much into it, the car is perfect for cruising sedately. For sudden need of torque for overtaking there is the SHVS system that works well.
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 20:56   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Customer: "Why Maruti, why you have brought-in a lazy 6-speed automatic?

We at Maruti are not in a position to give you the convenience of an automatic, price of an AMT, reliability of a TC, performance of a sports car and fuel efficiency of a bike all at the same time. This is the best combination we can provide. For the same reason, we are providing AMTs in lower segment cars."
So true!
Clearly maruti station wagons are not for enthusiasts! A 5 spd slow pickup auto would obviously give a better mileage on highway runs- and that is what M is meant for FE.
Giving snazzy exterior, features and paddle shifters is just to pull in customers trying to peek into Korean cars..
Old 28th April 2022, 22:53   #78
BHPian

How far can one go to keep the fuel clock ticking??? Ask Maruti!!

I happened to test drive it today (no intention of buying) to understand the change from the previous generation. What a let-down the entire package is for a vehicle that will have its price ringing the bell at close to 17L in some states. Seriously 17 for a DUD performer even inside a NEXA showroom is asking for too much.
Old 28th April 2022, 23:52   #79
BHPian

After looking at the prices, I think they got inspired by TOYOTA. But they ain't Toyota, should understand that.
Maruti for me is sold for its value for money proposition which is not only the price but its resale value as well. Now at least they have lost the value proposition here only thing remaining is mileage, with average build inside out. This will be a slow mover according to me now like ignis and Scross. Looks like Baleno is single-handedly keeping NEXA alive.

I would suggest serious buyers wait for the discounts and which will surely begin as we all know MS is eager to bring back the old sales no's and for this they will surely push this model to the dealers.
Old 29th April 2022, 00:24   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Oh yes, I quite liked the 4AT of my brother's XL6, and dare I say, better than the MT I have for most purposes. The only downside it had was that the GB seems ever active in hunting gears and it was quite easy to confuse it if the accelerator pedal input was varied quickly. Based on my driving, my MT does the 0-100 sprint in around 12 seconds while the 4AT did it in around 13. It only lacked in the initial launch where MT gave a better control.
I totally concur with this. The 4AT is a joy to cruise around and is mated really well to the K15B.
The SCross 4AT is just shy of 14 seconds. It lurches aggressively at start but the third gear especially is very very tall and that kind of flattens the power curve. However, just slot back into 2 or work with OD off and you are good to go!
Really disappointed with the reviews of the 6AT that I was keenly following.
advenk999 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 10:07   #81
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by achintatri View Post
I see a lot of reactions on the new 6 speed AT. We need to understand that the only time and place where (as per the reviews) it is not 'performing' as per an enthusiast' wish is on long stretches of highways where a driver needs to overtake an already fast moving vehicle suddenly or may be in a city condition where there is an opportunity to overtake at high speed.

Regarding performance, till 80 kmph of speed, the 6 speed AT performs very well in 'D' mode as per some of the latest reviews on Youtube. For any speed above the same, one can always engage the 'M' mode.

This 'M' mode is capable of also doing what the 'L' and '2' mode in the last 4AT were doing.

If you are the person who would be happy for easy cruising and riding capabilities of a big car/MPV like XL6 and occasional burst of power using 'M' mode, XL6/Ertiga would suffice your need.

So better to trust your friends and family for reviews (best is your own) rather than taking these Youtubers/bloggers on the face value.
Please don't think the M mode stands for magic or works like BMW M dynamic mode.

The M mode simply works the same as D but allows the gear to be manually held vs early upshifts. It's mostly useful on single lane highways where you don't want to upshift when overtaking and on multi lane highways with lots of truck traffic.

But the only advantage is you can prevent the gearbox going to 6th or 5th which are completely useless in acceleration/overtakes. The XL6 is very scary in single carriage highway overtakes and more than once I realised my judgement was way off in pulling off a safe overtake. This has nothing to do with the gearbox but with the very conservatively tuned engine which refuses to give any mid range shove. Test drive within the city and you will be more than satisfied with the performance and low end grunt. Take the car out on open highways and it's a different car especially if you want to cross 80km/hr. The one good thing with XL6 was no speeding tickets in our drive cause it was so difficult to cross the speed limit

The gearbox is not bad but it can't overcome the engine's tuning. The engine is capable of a lot more if it wasn't dialed down for 20kmpl ARAI.

The other thing is that the engine is so lacklustre that using M mode at high revs is pointless. I am also very sure that using M mode for 0-100 will be slower than D mode. Reason: in D mode you get motor assist from the SHVS but in M mode nothing. So M mode feels slower than D mode! D mode with gentle throttle and the electric motor assist was better in acceleration than the M mode.

Disclaimer: I am not a youtuber but I did spend the full day driving the car along with Chetan so maybe I can be called a friend.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 29th April 2022 at 10:12.
Vid6639 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 10:50   #82

I just test drove New XL6 Alpha + 6AT. One of my friends got it delivered last night. He says it’s the first delivery in Haryana.

I own XL6 Alpha 4AT ( driven 18k kms).

1.- I found the new 6AT to be significantly better than the 4AT. It was butter smooth, no lag , no jerk. I just loved it.

2.- Black smoke headlamps look very nice.

3.- Tyres and alloys - I didn’t like the new ones. The size doesn’t look more big.

4.- Interior is 100% same.

5.- 360 degree camera is very good.

# 6 AT is going to win hearts.
VeBdrivE is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 10:51   #83
BANNED

18 seconds for 0 to 100 kmph is quite difficult to believe, considering that the power to weight ratio is more than 85

Some cars like Triber and Altroz 1.2 DCT have such 0 to 100 kmph timings - but then their power to weight ratio is around 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

Take the car out on open highways and it's a different car especially if you want to cross 80km/hr.
I have an old Xl6 MT - done around 15K kms so far - and I have had no issues in overtaking at 100 kmph or 120 kmph.

I have driven it for long stretches at high speeds, which is when the engine starts topping out. After a point, the car struggles to pick up speed.

Can the updated engine be so different

Quote:

The other thing is that the engine is so lacklustre that using M mode at high revs is pointless. I am also very sure that using M mode for 0-100 will be slower than D mode. Reason: in D mode you get motor assist from the SHVS but in M mode nothing. So M mode feels slower than D mode! D mode with gentle throttle and the electric motor assist was better in acceleration than the M mode.
This is unlikely to be true. I am sure the SVHS torque assist would be available in both D and M mode.

Simple reasoning - if torque assist is available in MT , why would it be disabled in M mode of AT?

Last edited by Aditya : 29th April 2022 at 19:05. Reason: Mention of high speed driving
PYSO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 11:24   #84
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYSO View Post
I have a old Xl6 MT - done around 15K kms so far - and I have had no issues in overtaking at 100 kmph or 120 kmph.

I have driven it for long stretches at 140 to 150 kmph, which is when the engine starts topping out. After 150 kmph, the car struggles to pick up speed.

Can the updated engine be so different
Yes it is! One of the journos owns an XL6 MT and he said his older car was much quicker than this new MT.

That said the MT is far better and feels lighter and more urgent than the AT so the difference is more between AT and MT and lesser difference between older MT and new MT.

Quote:
This is unlikely to be true. I am sure the SVHS torque assist would be available in both D and M mode.

Simple reasoning - if torque assist is available in MT , why would it be disabled in M mode of AT?
Very much true and very much the case. We never saw the power flow from battery to wheels in M mode no matter what. As soon as we changed from D to M the electric assist would disappear and then again slot into D and you would see assist come back. I have a feeling this is done thinking that you will only use M mode occasionally and not everytime hence no programming of electric assist.
Vid6639 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 11:38   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by advenk999 View Post
I totally concur with this. The 4AT is a joy to cruise around and is mated really well to the K15B.
The SCross 4AT is just shy of 14 seconds. It lurches aggressively at start but the third gear especially is very very tall and that kind of flattens the power curve. However, just slot back into 2 or work with OD off and you are good to go!
Really disappointed with the reviews of the 6AT that I was keenly following.
I am very familiar with that old 4 speed AT gearbox. And I am disappointed as well with the new 6 speed gearbox; it does seem to be let down by a fuel efficiency focused engine.

It makes me want to pick up any used XL6/S-Cross/Brezza/Ciaz with the 4AT that I may find out there The 4AT has such tall gearing in its 3rd and 4th cogs that cruising at 3 digit speeds in 4/6 lane highways is a wonderful experience. The engine tends to be so relaxed because of the gear ratio of the 4th cog.

I really loved my erstwhile A-Star AT for its unexpected highway abilities...as lame as that sounds. It had this little 3 pot 69 HP engine and the antiquated 4 speed AT gearbox under discussion. And yet, it was so good at cruising at 100 Kmph on 4 laned highways (it's handling was quite mature, adding to the fun). All that it was missing was low-end grunt and outright acceleration.
locusjag is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 16:21   #86
BHPian

We are in 70’s again (but the mind is still in the future)

The pandemic has suddenly pushed us in the 70’s era when it was very common to 'book’ a car for that special event. It was a seller’s market back then and for the automobile industry, so is today.

My car purchase experience (I drive automatics only) has nothing to write home about but as a common man (price sensitive customer), this forum has definitely helped me in some or the other way to help make the purchase decision. So a big thanks to all my fellow team bhpians.

The journey of decision nodes from drool worthy cars to more practical ones for me took almost a year since I decided to move from a 5 seater to a bigger 6/7 seater car. From following the launch of new Isuzu MUX (that eventually did not launch here) to the expected feature list of new Ertiga/XL6, from the search of a used Ford Endeavour (after their exit from India) to the unrivalled and mighty (even used) Innova Crysta, I quickly realized that a Car should be something that adds Value to the entire family (and not just the individual purchasing the same). More than a priced possession, it’s a value addition in some way or the other.

Difference between Car models has always been the question of flexibility versus the difference between various variants of the same car that talks more about ‘want versus need’. When Hisenberg invented the ‘Hierarchy of needs’ he might not have CARS in his mind otherwise today’s market looks upside down of that principle :-)

Overall, the car market has enabled me to define VFM (Quality/Cost) to a level where I could choose the right one for my family.

Multiple bookings and multiple cancellations for the same reason, have become the new normal so here goes my stint with the same.

Order of Mental Cancellations: Mercedes GLS 450 (Well it’s a mental cancellation) > Isuzu MUX > Ford Endeavour > Innova Crysta > MG Hector > Mahindra XUV700 > Tata Safari > Ertiga > Jeep Meridian (looks awesome but again mental cancellation).
Order of Physical Cancellations: Ertiga (last version) > Carens > XL6 (from another dealer).

Final Purchase:

April 02, 2022 XL6 Booking Experience: Nothing great, just visited the showroom, paid 11000 INR and a docket booklet was handed over to me with waiting period of 6 weeks. No one had any idea about the features but one thing was confirmed that the production of the then model of XL6 had stopped. I had booked Carens on Feb 17th. I had booked Alpha AT and later told my SA that they can consider to move it to Alpha Plus AT that I would confirm after the feature list. However later it was not required as I found that the TPMS and Ventilated seats are not worth that much price.

April 15th
New Ertiga was launched and the speculation for XL6 features started pouring in. In between the same it was confirmed that the XL6 launch was on April 21. My SA had started sharing some information however I was always on top of things and much better updated than the SA :-)

April 21st
New Xl6 was launched and I was disappointed with the lack of airbags but I had already made up my mind that I would go with XL6 AT rather than any other variant including Carens (Just because of the lack of clarity on the reliability of the DCT gearbox). It was now that I started chasing the SA.

April 22nd
I was told that my dealership (Nexa Magarpatta) had ordered 3 cars for their showroom and one was Blue XL6 Alpha AT. They also shared the Chassis and Engine number with me.

April 23rd
I visited the showroom and told them to at least share the Allotment number so that I can start cancelling the other bookings (One Xl6 and One Carens). The allotment letter was shared the same evening.

April 27th
After that the wait for the vehicle started. Finally on April 27th, I got the chance to do the PDI of the vehicle. BTW, April 27th went very interesting. It was as if it was designed for me that way. Here is the list of events on that day:

09:30 am – Saw the car in person for the first time. Had my wife and two of my friends accompanied me to make sure PDI is detailed. The car had done 55 kms in ODO and I was OK with the same. I also selected some mandatory accessories for the car. I talked to the Showroom manager for the insurance and the quote given to me was 62000 Inr (1+3) which I rejected out rightly. I was told that I would have to fill a declaration form to mention that I would be responsible for my own insurance to which I agreed without any issues. I had already received the quotes and went ahead and paid 34000 inr for United India Insurance through Policybazaar.

10:30 am – Came back home to pick up Cheque books for payments (RTGS) and couldn’t find one of them out of the two banks I planned to use.

11:00 am – Reached one of the banks and did a partial payment.

12:00 pm – Reached the bank opposite (the second bank) and explained to them the situation and they issued another cheque book. Thus the remaining RTGS was done as well. Meanwhile my existing car got picked up by the RTO goons (there was no sign of ‘No Parking’ and you MUST NOT park in a NO PARKING Zone here in Pune and I always follow the same) just outside the bank. Considering the situation I was in, I had to do an ‘On the Spot’ negotiation and release the car.

12:30 am – Got a call again from SA that the ‘One Pager’ policy document by United India might not work and there needs to be a minimum of 3 pages in the policy document. So I went ahead and called Policybazaar to cancel the policy. Policybazaar told me that I would need to submit the proof of another policy for them to raise a cancellation request. I went ahead and bought Acko policy (24000 inr, 10k less than the United one) and submitted the same to both Policybazaar and my SA. SA finally accepted the same.

I also went ahead and cancelled the bookings for XL6 (with another dealer) and Carens.
By this time it was already 5:00 pm.

So April 27th experience was a mixed one with a loss of some money to RTO goons and some cancellation charges to Policybazaar (118 inr). BTW, the cancellation request is still open with United and I have been told that it will be resolved by May 7, 2022 after deducting some ‘prorata’ charges. I am keeping my fingers crossed considering I cancelled the same within 24 hours of purchasing.

Lesson Learned:
1. Keep all the payment ready before hand in one place
2. Finalize the insurance well in advance after doing all the research

Delivery Day (April 28th):
We reached at around 1:50 pm, formalities took another 1 hour. Number plate was fixed in front of me. Tire pressure was 51 that I got reduced to 32 at the Petrol Pump (makes great amount of difference in ride quality).

Total OTR with TCS, insurance, Extended Warranty and Accessories - ₹ 16,31,124.00
Accessories (all MGA):

1. Door Rain Visor – They have chrome lining and the overall material is good
2. Side Moulding in Chrome
3. Rear Spoiler (Makes it Alpha to Alpha Plus)
4. NEXA illuminated door sils – I would recommend the same
5. Mats – High quality PVC/Rubber Mats
6. Side Door protector

Initial Impression:
1. Space – Family loves the space and that was the main purpose as well.
2. Ease of driving in City (Haven’t taken her to the highway yet) – Hybrid system works like a charm and very silent.
3. NVH – Better than my Swift Dzire, I am ok with the same.
4. Music System – Much better than my Swift Dzire, I am satisfied with the quality.
5. Paddle shifters – Looks like most of the time I will use ‘D’ mode only and use paddle shifters (Minus one) to drop a gear for overtakes, it works well without any delay.
6. 360 Camera – Clarity is not bad and it is very helpful as it shows all sides of the car depending upon the settings. Whenever you press the camera button, it switches the side so very useful in tight spaces.
7. Seats – They were anyways comfortable
8. AC – Works like charm
9. Steering – Very Light and weighs up properly, tilt and telescopic is a welcome move. No complaints here.
10. Mileage – Will share after few hundred kms.

It rained heavily (or should I say heavenly) today so the Car already got the blessings of the almighty.

Overall I feel that by saving around 5 L (as compared to the Carens Diesel automatic, Carens DCT was not in my list after 6 AT was announced for XL6) and saving almost 12L (as compared to Innova Crysta or the drool worthy Safari), I justified my purchase decision to create a VFM purchase for my family.

A big shout out to VAISHALI BHUSHAN KAPSIKAR from Nexa Magarpatta who diligently took care of all the necessary formalities and that too with good level of professionalism. Also, no offenses to any car owners in this beautiful forum please.

Next Entry: Ownership Experience and some travelogues.

Best Regards,
Achint

Last edited by achintatri : 29th April 2022 at 16:27.
achintatri is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 17:08   #87
BANNED

Quote:
Yes it is! One of the journos owns an XL6 MT and he said his older car was much quicker than this new MT.

That said the MT is far better and feels lighter and more urgent than the AT so the difference is more between AT and MT and lesser difference between older MT and new MT.
They should have tuned the engine differently for Ertiga and XL6. Ertiga is a people mover, with 5 or more persons traveling frequently in it, and it is best fitted with an engine that's tuned for cruising.

XL6 , on the other hand is a 6 seater lifestyle car, and is typically bought by people who are traveling with 4 or less persons in the car 95% of the time. The 2 extra seats are used infrequently. Such a buyer will expect an engine that's capable of more than cruising duties, in my opinion.

It goes to be seen how they will tune the k15c engine in the upcoming Creta rival SUV. Hope they prioritise performance in the tuning of the engine there.

Also, will wait for more owner reviews - it's rather puzzling that less than 2% reduction in peak power and torque, can lead to 50% increase in 0 to 100 kmph timing.

Last edited by PYSO : 29th April 2022 at 17:26.
PYSO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 17:08   #88

I had almost bought the XL6 an year back. It was the perfect car for our young family with loads of space. But alas! The tyres were too small and an eye sore. Went with Urban Cruiser finally. It was just about 25k cheaper I’m in High trim than the top variant of XL6. XL6 was definitely value for money. Now they have got the tyres right and the pricing wrong! I don’t think it deserves an on-road price of 18 lakhs in some states. 13-15 lakhs was the sweet spot.
BugginBugsy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 10:26   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Note from Support:

We understand there's demographic overlap between potential XL6 and Carens customers.

There's a comparison embargo until 02 May, so we'll only be able to answer questions along those lines at a later point in time.

As & when we can, rest assured we'll provide answers with the usual Team-BHP candor.

Now, can we have a brief comparison between the Carens and the XL6?
Old 2nd May 2022, 11:15   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
[ The Smart Hybrid system also receives an upgrade, with a higher capacity secondary Li-ion battery providing longer assist during acceleration
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin1397 View Post
I noticed that the review mentioned that the smart hybrid system had gotten an upgrade. Any details on this?
Quote:
It's reportedly a higher capacity Li-ion battery, so capable of providing an assist longer than before (we verified if it was a stronger or longer assist, they confirmed it's the latter).
Was curious about this, and found out the following facts:

1. The secondary battery looks visibly larger than before:

Before:

2022 Maruti XL6 Facelift Review-2018marutiertiga18.jpg

After(notice no sticker mentioning details on the battery cover):

2022 Maruti XL6 Facelift Review-20220428_151915.jpg

2. Specs have been improved:

36Wh in my car:

2022 Maruti XL6 Facelift Review-20211013_092910.jpg

72Wh in 2022 Ertiga/XL6:

2022 Maruti XL6 Facelift Review-whatsapp-image-20220502-10.50.28-am.jpeg

3. Prices of both batteries remain same at Rs. 59,935

4.Power and Torque output of MGU in new Ertiga/XL6 has been increased, while the max current decreases(210A vs 180A):

Old XL6:

2022 Maruti XL6 Facelift Review-screenshot-20220502-111053.jpg

New XL6:

2022 Maruti XL6 Facelift Review-screenshot-20220502-110950.jpg
Leoshashi is offline   (36) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks