Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2022, 10:10   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How I became the first person to own the 2022 XL6 in Mysore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fj_victor View Post
I was like XL6 it is!!
Congratulations on your new XL6.

That color looks stunningly beautiful on XL6. Lovely. Do post an ownership report with details. Happy driving.
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 10:53   #107

Re: 2022 Maruti XL6 Facelift Review

Congratulations on your new car. Looks really good and this colour looks great on XL6. Awaiting your valued ride experience shortly. Wishing lots of miles and happy trips on this beauty
ss125_i10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 10:56   #108
BHPian

Quote:
I was like XL6 it is!!
Congratulations on your new XL6! I am still stuck in the same dilemma as yours. My kid insists on having a sunroof and we need a 7 seater to replace our 1st gen Ertiga. Hence I have booked Carens which is a little stretch to my budget. Other 7 seaters having a sunroof are way out of my budget. The facelifted XL6 is definitely a good looking car and a very tempting option. I wish Maruti had brought in the 7 seater option and added a sunroof.
Knightrider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 11:40   #109

Extremely thankful for all the good wishes and compliments I have received.
Drove on Mysore-Bangalore highway today. It was just me and my wife without much luggage either.
The engine is smooth and refined and loves to rev when throttle is kicked down hard. 6-speed gearbox is programmed for a fuel efficient drive and upshifts to maintain less than 1800rpm on the engine even after 80+kmph. I barely used the paddle shifters because even at D, the gears downshift when I hard throttle.
It was my first time with a paddle shifter experience so I didn't try experimenting with it until about 2 hours on the drive, that's when I was more confident.

I used paddle shifters at D mode to downshift and the idea is to drop it off to 3rd gear when you want to overtake at 70+. And use 4th gear when going 120+ kmph. It'll take control of the gears when you relax the throttle to increase fuel efficiency.

The car does go fast, don't pay head to the reviewers and journalist who think big car should go faster. It picks up speed on command and holds the gear until you wish. M mode could have been marketed as a Sports mode since it's full manual and doesn't change gears by itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron82x3 View Post

Do let us know how it compares with the performance vs your Swift Dzire VXI.

Swift Dzire was extremely quick revving engine with manual transmission. I had my share of fun with it. When going head to head with 6-speed AT XL6 may lose on the track by a few milliseconds. But it does manage to keep up despite theoretically XL6 has its power/weight ratio in a disadvantage when compared to Dzire.

It's a more matured driving experience. Body roll is prominent for a vehicle this size but it's not as bad as you'd expect. Very stable ride and steering wheel is beyond perfection I felt. It made high speed overtaking a piece of cake despite the size.

Yes,Day 3, so far so good.

Some of the concerns which I'll be sharing with my dealership in the coming days are the infotainment system. It was already having issues with the Suzuki Smartplay Pro Sync app (which I mentioned in my previous post), now i noticed that 4 out of 10 times when I honk, the android auto disconnects by itself. and then I have to reconnect my phone to get it working. Pretty weird issue. Its not a showstopper since it's not always the case but it does happen.
Mileage is improving and it's now sitting at 11kmpl. It'll definitely improve overtime.

2022 Maruti XL6 Facelift Review-img_20220509_095510.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
I wish Maruti had brought in the 7 seater option and added a sunroof.
Thanks for the wishes! I feel Carens could be your choice. Its not a bad car I have seen it once. But again I changed my requirements for a sunroof and I preferred the captain seats over the bench seats. So XL6 was my choice.
There are aftermarket middle seats available, which I'll buy and use when required (in the event of some guests or extended family dinner plans).
I'd be waiting to hear more on how and what choice you make.

One more thing I want to add is most Japanese vehicles use some sort of variable valve tech or iVtech some thing, which basically opens up the engine fuel and air valves more when the driver keeps demanding more performance. Each car model is tuned to activate (or kick in) the variable valves upon a specified number of requests or rev demands.
I am not sure if the new XL6 has variable valve tech, but I did feel it accelerate faster after sometime on the highway.

Last edited by vb-saan : 9th May 2022 at 13:13. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another.
fj_victor is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 13:13   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Let me start this post by explaining why a new car and how I came about narrowing it down to the XL6 in the first place.
Hearty congratulations on the XL6. The previous version looked anaemic, thanks to the skinny tyres which made me hate the XL6. Its when Bunny Punia upgraded the tyres and alloys, thats when i realised that all the XL6 needed was better looking alloys and fatter tyres. The facelifted one seems to be sorted in that part. Wish the XL6 came with the 1.5 Diesel powertrain, I would have considered it since I need a Diesel and don't have the courage to own a Petrol car, at present, and the Crysta being overpriced.
rakesh_r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 21:39   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Extremely thankful for all the good wishes and compliments I have received.
Congratulations, your car is a stunner! I bet it looks great parked in sun when the UV glasses turn dark.

Maruti has hit it out of the park this time with all these features, ventilated seats, 360 camera, ultra reliable 6 speed TC with 1.5 NA engine! Carens would not even come close in terms of long term reliability and maintenance.
Makes me want to buy this car even though I’m not in market for any car, let alone a six seater

Last edited by midazolam : 9th May 2022 at 21:40.
midazolam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 23:46   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by midazolam View Post
I bet it looks great parked in sun when the UV glasses turn dark.
I think UV cut glasses cuts UV rays from light spectrum only and it doesn't change color like day/night eyeglasses. They appear slightly darker than normal glasses but it stays the same whether under sun or not.
maheshm619 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 10:10   #113
BHPian

I think Suzuki is smartly testing waters here with the pricing of XL6 variants. The higher variants may not really be VFM and Suzuki always had an image of being VFM. If this works out well for them, I am sure in future they would also make a move up the segment price wise on new model launches. Only time will tell.
SSD2122 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 10:32   #114

Quote:
If this works out well for them, I am sure in future they would also make a move up the segment price wise on new model launches. Only time will tell.
Couldn't agree more. They are planning a big move with the upcoming SUV line-up. Maruti-Suzuki definitely wishes to take back the market share from Hyundai, Kia, Tata, and Mahindra.
One thing I noticed, is that the lower variants on offer by NEXA may be considered near-top end by other dealers.
Essentially, they are stretching the premium buyers of the ARENA to look at NEXA models for VFM variants.
Old 10th May 2022, 10:35   #115
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I used paddle shifters at D mode to downshift and the idea is to drop it off to 3rd gear when you want to overtake at 70+. And use 4th gear when going 120+ kmph. It'll take control of the gears when you relax the throttle to increase fuel efficiency.

The car does go fast, don't pay head to the reviewers and journalist who think big car should go faster. It picks up speed on command and holds the gear until you wish. M mode could have been marketed as a Sports mode since it's full manual and doesn't change gears by itself.
Congrats on the XL6. Do drive around for sometime with the power flow chart on the MID and check whether the hybrid ISG kicks in when driving in M mode. We found that ISG doesn't assist when in M mode and only works in D mode part throttle.

On the second point, just to let you know. We review several cars and our observations made are based on having reference of multiple cars we drive. The points on the tech of the K15C are from our 2 hour long discussion with Mr. CV Raman CTO of Maruti Suzuki who himself told us that all optimizations are done for efficiency and you will find outright performance lower than outgoing car but with much improved efficiency.

The XL6 performance vs an Alto will definitely be better but vs the competition like Carens or even the older XL6 remains lackluster. It's a refined engine but by no means sporty. The engine is capable for a lot more but Maruti knows it's customer base will prefer additional 2kmpl fuel efficiency over outright performance which is why even after adding dual port injectors plus dual VVT and even stronger hybrid ISG assist, the net power and torque figures are ever so marginally lower than the older K15B. Ideally these 3 massive changes should have helped performance by 10% but they used the tech for efficiency vs performance.

Quote:
One more thing I want to add is most Japanese vehicles use some sort of variable valve tech or iVtech some thing, which basically opens up the engine fuel and air valves more when the driver keeps demanding more performance. Each car model is tuned to activate (or kick in) the variable valves upon a specified number of requests or rev demands.
I am not sure if the new XL6 has variable valve tech, but I did feel it accelerate faster after sometime on the highway.
The XL6 does has Variable valve timing also known as VVT in Maruti jargon. For the K15C Maruti has added VVT on both intake and exhaust camshaft hence the term dual VVT. However it is not like Honda where you see memes of "VTEC kicked in Yo!". It's again VVT for fuel efficiency.

However again the VVT has not been added to boost performance but to optimize the valve timing for greater efficiency. Kia/Hyundai also have it in their cars known as VTVT.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 10th May 2022 at 10:48.
Vid6639 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 11:01   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
On the second point, just to let you know. We review several cars and our observations made are based on having reference of multiple cars we drive.

The XL6 performance vs an Alto will definitely be better but vs the competition like Carens or even the older XL6 remains lackluster.
Thank you for the wishes.
When I said don't pay heed to any journalists mentioning that the car doesn't perform, my intention was aimed at deflecting the narrative that the car doesn't perform. Which makes a buyer feel less confident. Not saying that it's a wrong review. I have relied on your and your peers for factual reviews and will continue to do so as long as I am in the market.

I may be biased here, but I have owned a 2015 Honda Civic 5speed Torque Converter in the middle east for about 3 years (70,000Km), and a manual transmission Swift Dzire VXI for almost 9 years (1,30,000Km). I am comparing the throttle response and gearshifts and the outcome acceleration with that of the new XL6 (400Km so far on Day 4) based solely on my personal long-duration drives, and not even once did I feel the need that I was not able to overtake any car. (not the BMW and the Porsche who flew by me).

Even if you look at the Carens reviews, a lot of reviews are stating that the Turbo+DCT option isn't performing as you'd expect on paper. I just felt, though everyone is being factually correct, the buyer may not be into the debate of which is the faster car. Because Carens and XL6 can overtake and perform high(er) speed maneuvers with rather more comfort than it is being projected out.
Cheers!
fj_victor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 11:10   #117
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
... XL6...
If ever there was a candidate for 'a wheel/tire swap has transformed the stance' award, this car is it!

A very sensible package, backed by Maruti's unparalleled peace-of-mind. Great color choice too.

Congratulations and happy driving!
Chetan_Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 13:26   #118
BHPian

Quote:

On May 3rd, 2022, the car arrived at the dealership, and I paid the balance amount
Hearty Congrats on the new car. Wish you many many happy miles.
The car looks smashing in that colour. XL6 is a safe choice, no doubt for those looking for a 5/6 seater. All the best
akannath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 16:58   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
On the second point, just to let you know. We review ... VTVT.
Earlier Hyundai VTVT was smart, it just reversed the camshaft rotation to the best of my knowledge. VTEC worked on three parameters : Lift, Timing and Duration. But VTEC operated only at high RPMs as we experienced in first generation City Vtec. However, Ivtec is, on paper atleast, an improvement over VTEC that it would get into higher profile cams even at lower RPMs than earlier if there was a need. This is probably the reason why even in 5th gear 4th Gen City petrol has grunt at 80 kmph while its under 3000 RPM. And also most probably the reason why VTEC pull in 4th generation is not as intense as first generation Honda City Vtec.

Earlier, Maruti K12M and K14B both used VVT only on Intake side, now they have added on exhaust side also. But this VVT is not as good as VTEC and I guess only two parameters are worked upon. Maruti's focus on efficiency has blunted performance of K15, same stands true for K12 too. Am fortunate to have driven 2015 Swift petrol for over 40,000 kms., revving it and having fun on highways. But MSIL is dishing out what mass market wants and given the high price of fuel and their lack of ability to bring back their brilliant 1.5 diesel back, they are on right track for profits. Good part is they are working to improve build quality but blunted performance does impact single lane highway overtaking, as due to denser traffic the midrange is a must have. Too safe a play by MSIL.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 10th May 2022 at 17:01.
aaggoswami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 17:15   #120
BANNED

Combining the positives of XL6 and Ertiga, Maruti can launch a 2 + 3 + 1 seater XL6 with black interiors, sunroof and 6-speed auto. Making the second row as bench will give more flexibility for passengers, while third row with a single seat will give enough space for luggage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
...blunted performance does impact single lane highway overtaking...
Not sure about the new K15, but I've driven the 2014 K12 Swift and new K12 DualJet in such roads. Yes, it is tuned for mileage - nowhere closer to the original K12 that came with Ritz in terms of performance. But overtaking was not much a problem for me as I usually downshift 2 gears when overtaking (I like to complete the overtaking process in as less time as possible). If you are so lazy even for a single downshift while overtaking and want to overtake in the same driving gear, then you may land in trouble.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 10th May 2022 at 17:25.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks