Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2022, 12:54   #166
BHPian

Re: 2022 Maruti XL6 Facelift Review

Upgraded my 2022 XL6 Alpha AT:
  1. Installed JK Tyre Treen TPMS in all four tires in under 3350 inr here in Kharadi, Pune.
  2. Got an old android phone alive with a new battery and installed it dedicatedly for Android Auto (Did not want my main phone to be always connected and battery charging on and off based on the auto-on off feature of the car).
  3. The TPMS output in the JK app is projected on the android auto phone.

Average however in the City is purely single digit, will take it up with the SA in the 5000 km servicing.
achintatri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2022, 19:16   #167

Hi all, newbie here. I am proud of being a part of this unbelievable community. A massive thanks to all the members here sharing their experiences.

I have gone through this thread multiple times as I am very interested in buying this. I have two cars in my list. The other one being the Karens but I am not too keen on the DCT and rather go with a torque convertor.

I realize that most of the negative points are for the engine performance. I am myself a sedate driver and don't normally do too many gear shifts or overtakes. My only query is regarding how the automatic performs on heavy inclines and hairpin bends.
I have read @achintatri review about how he didnt have any issues travelling on the expressway from Mumbai to Pune.
I myself am planning a trip to ooty where one of my relatives are staying. Ooty is comparatively higher elevation with lots of hairpins.
Does this car deliver enough torque in full load conditions? The earlier version of this car "L" gear which is missing in the newer one. Does this affect driving on inclines?

If any of the owners have done such trips I would be really grateful if you could share your views on this matter.
Old 6th June 2022, 09:29   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

The success of Maruti's MPV strategy:

May sales:

Ertiga: 12226
XL6 : 4085

Source: Auto Punditz

Last edited by volkman10 : 6th June 2022 at 09:31.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 10:30   #169
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by achintatri View Post
Upgraded my 2022 XL6 Alpha AT:

Average however in the City is purely single digit, will take it up with the SA in the 5000 km servicing.
For an engine that has supposedly been detuned for mileage, that’s shocking. In that case, what’s the usp?
Old 6th June 2022, 11:55   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
For an engine that has supposedly been detuned for mileage, that’s shocking. In that case, what’s the usp?
What is shocking in a 6 seater 1.5L petrol AT MPV returning single digit Fuel efficiency in city ?

Even some small hatchbacks return single digit fuel efficiency inside city. It's absolutely normal.

I own a K10C celerio with an ARAI claim of 26 kmpl. Even then it returns only 14 kmpl when driven purely in urban traffic. I will say 14 kmpl is impressive, given the B2B driving conditions.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 6th June 2022 at 11:57.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 12:01   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[*]The TPMS output in the JK app is projected on the android auto phone.[/list]
Is the installed app version an APK from Treel or did you download latest version from playstore?
Old 6th June 2022, 12:20   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
What is shocking in a 6 seater 1.5L petrol AT MPV returning single digit Fuel efficiency in city ?

Even some small hatchbacks return single digit fuel efficiency inside city. It's absolutely normal.

I own a K10C celerio with an ARAI claim of 26 kmpl. Even then it returns only 14 kmpl when driven purely in urban traffic. I will say 14 kmpl is impressive, given the B2B driving conditions.
I agree, 14kmpl is impressive and I’d be happy with that sort of a figure.

The issue here is that the previous gen xl6 gives about 9-10 in city traffic (going by most accounts). Now, if the refreshed one gives the same, then why has it been detuned? All the reviews and the reviewers highlighted that the performance has been sacrificed at the altar of fuel efficiency in this case. Hence the shock.
Old 6th June 2022, 22:42   #173
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
If you look at the monthly sales numbers of cars in India, you would notice that Ertiga+XL6 outsells all other cars in many months of the last 12 months, including the Altos and the Wagon Rs.

If a car costing 13 to 19 lakhs on road is outselling cars costing 5 lakhs, then it must be a brilliant package. And that is precisely it's USP.

I own a pre facelift XL6 MT. I really enjoy the car, so does my family. All of us like it more than the other 2 cars in my garage - a Ford Fiesta Petrol and VW Polo Petrol. Trust me - it's a brilliant package, and the market has figured that out.

Last edited by GTO : 7th June 2022 at 10:29. Reason: DO NOT TROLL or post in a negative manner on Team-BHP
PYSO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 23:07   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYSO View Post
That's how badly the car's performance is being belittled.
A minor question, have you driven the updated XL6 with new engine?

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 00:10   #175
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
A minor question, have you driven the updated XL6 with new engine?

Regards,
Shashi
And that would be my suggestion to everyone

Take a long test drive and see if the car suits you. Instead of overly depending on online reviews and discussions.

Didn't mean any offence to anyone. As far as I can see, 9 out of 10 cars sold in India are non-enthusiast cars. Including the competition of XL6 - they are very much non-enthusiast cars. The battering of XL6 performance on this thread would have been perfectly valid if our roads were filled with Octavia RS, BMWs and the kind. But the reality is very different.

Last edited by PYSO : 7th June 2022 at 00:13.
PYSO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 00:44   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYSO View Post
And that would be my suggestion to everyone
Definitely, have mentioned it earlier and will endorse it again. But that doesn't answer my question, have you driven the new XL6 or are you posting just based on your experience with the older one with K15B? Because the facelift with new engine is very different in character.

I'm not talking about perspectives, an engine in isolation may work out for some, while others may not be satisfied. What I could easily conclude from my test drive was that the new K15C engine is far less peppy than the older K15B motor and that's precisely what most other people have noticed.

The Older K15B motor was very well suited to the car, and while the new engine excels in FE, it simply cannot match the grunt of the older motor.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 07:22   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post

The Older K15B motor was very well suited to the car, and while the new engine excels in FE, it simply cannot match the grunt of the older motor.

Regards,
Shashi
And that’s exactly my question. Everyone has assumed that this engine excels in FE. Real world reports (admittedly early days yet) say single digits.

Disclaimer- I have booked the car a month back but have not yet been contacted by the SA for a TD. He refuses to attend my calls even. Maybe because I was too eager to pay the booking amount.
Old 8th June 2022, 15:45   #178
BHPian

2022 XL6 Update after 1500 kms of ownership

1. Officially converted 6 seater XL6 to 7 seater. Here are some pics for reference.
  2. The seat costed 3750 inr here in Vimannagar, Pune.
  3. Its a plug-n-play seat that doesn't require any fitment.
  4. The seat in general doesn't wobble and the individual captain seats can be easily slided and reclined without disturbing the middle seat and vice versa.
  5. It is strictly for kids and the advice is to use a harness for the kid whoever sits on that seat while the car is in motion.
  6. The seat belt in that case can be tethered to the isofix slots or to the base of the captain seats from the back.
  7. On amazon the same is available at double the price:
https://www.amazon.in/Enterprises-Wooden-Armrest-Console-External/dp/B089V25JC2/ref=dp_sdpd_dis_sccl_3_5/260-5699258-2336401?pd_rd_w=zBbPu&content-id=amzn1.sym.e8f8a292-d03d-4d46-bc19-4115263d4fed&pf_rd_p=e8f8a292-d03d-4d46-bc19-4115263d4fed&pf_rd_r=PS092SNR8EMBJN02DEKB&pd_rd_wg =bgW2J&pd_rd_r=1dee008c-5420-48f7-a671-f4d643e38c66&pd_rd_i=B089V25JC2&psc=1

Also, the average from last fuel refill to the latest came out to be 7.75 km/L (The car clogged 287 kms in 37L of fuel) between two low fuel indications. Took the car to the workshop and they claimed to have cleaned up the air filter and have told me to check the average this time.
SA suggests a different method e.g. driving a car till 50 km and check how much fuel the car now takes to fill the complete tank. However I told them that it doesn't matter since even if 10 km/L avg. is claimed in the city (stop and go traffic), it should have clogged 370 km in 37L of fuel rather than only 287 km.
I have decided to keep a track of the average till 5000 kms now when I will send the car for second due service.

Android Auto
  1. One Word: It sucks and is buggy. Workaround: Pull out and push the data cable in the usb slot in the car before u need to use the android auto for any new drive (manual way of clearing the cache may be).
  2. However a lot of time I do not hear the voice of the person calling me or vice versa when a call is received/made.
  3. Music from my phone (Galaxy S10 lite) is still acceptable on the stock speakers and the head unit however when I connect an apple phone say iPhone 6s, it is way too bass heavy and no setting either in the phone or headunit or the application like Saavn can change that.

In case someone is still looking between Carens and Xl6, I would still suggest XL6 just because of the reliable engine and gearbox combo. If you are OK with adjusting your driving behavior to counter the Carens DCT petrol heating issues and rely on your extended warranty for any hiccups in the future, Carens is a better deal.

So for Carens, you get a better, actually much better drivability (performance) at the same average but with a little peace of mind as compared to XL6 where you get much more peace of mind but with mediocre performance.

On a majority of driving on highways say 90%, XL6 will beat any car of its class in average at any given day.
Attached Thumbnails
2022 Maruti XL6 Facelift Review-xl6_seat.jpeg  

Attached Images

achintatri is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 16:14   #179
BHPian

Quick question.. Anyone knows where to change kpa to psi in the TPMS screen?
Old 8th June 2022, 20:09   #180

Quote:
2022 XL6 Update after 1500 kms of ownership
Hi, Can you tell me if you have done any proper hill driving in this car. I cant seem to find any information about how this 6 speed AT performs on heavy inclines and hairpin bends.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 15th June 2022 at 14:15. Reason: Trimming quoted post; please quote only relevant sections of the post.

Most Viewed