Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2022, 11:43   #166
BHPian

Re: Jeep Meridian Review

I'm sure it will do well. Buyers will have the peace of mind knowing that this is a proven engine and gearbox combination. There may be minor issues in the future but I have not known any Compass (either petrol or Diesel) with major engine or gearbox failures. Meridian buyers may not be seeking blistering performance anyway.
bangaloreguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 11:53   #167
Senior - BHPian

I feel Kodiaq and Meridian will have its own set customers, albeit a small segment. A cross shopping between these 2 will be very less. Both have different design language - for me Kodiaq looks much better than Meridian, for others it might be different. While Kodiaq provides better performance and more plush feel, Meridian will be a more rounded product with diesel efficiency and off-road capabilities.
My guess is Kodiaq might do around 150 units monthly (if supply not an issue) and Meridian might do 300 to 400 units monthly (again if no supply issues).

Fortuner is anyway untouchable for now. For a large group of customers it offers more than what they want and it’s a no brainier for them. Nothing can kill Fortuner, than Toyota’s greediness or a total shift in technology (eg: EV’s taking over completely).
sunikkat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 11:55   #168
Senior - BHPian

The Jeep Meridians Interiors at some length:

I tried to get as much captured as I could and I think I covered it all on the insides of this car, do excuse the music in the background and random people talking but since this was at the launch party in Bombay this was the case.
Maky is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 12:31   #169
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
since this was at the launch party in Bombay this was the case.
I think we may have missed each other by just a few hours. I was at the Worli showroom at about 10 pm last night. To check it out first hand.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 12:47   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I think we may have missed each other by just a few hours. I was at the Worli showroom at about 10 pm last night. To check it out first hand.
ah!.. I was hoping to run into some team-bhp people there but realised I wouldn't have any way of identifying them :P and Indeed we did by a few hours, I left by 8 PM.

What were your feelings on the Meridian? I came across a stranger who said he booked a Compass but asked the SA to hold it as he wanted to see the Meridian. He said he will continue with the Compass booking, something about Compass made him feel more cozy inside.
Old 20th May 2022, 14:50   #171
BHPian

As pointed out in almost every review, the Meridian's front & middle row offers the exact same space as the Compass and the third row is next to non-useable. I don't see how this can be considered as an alternative to the Kodiaq/Fortuner/Gloster. The 6L premium over a Compass is not justified, especially considering there are no obvious gains besides the slightly different exterior.
Nair.V8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 15:41   #172
BHPian

I am on the lookout for a spacious ride and one of the disappointed ones with Meridian, thanks to the cramped 2nd row.
If the 2nd row had been more accommodating, I think Meridian could have really posed a serious threat to many of those SUVs and MPVs.
Now, the only hope is Tucson. And if that fails on some important aspect, I will probably make do with a Carens D 1.5 AT.
Old 20th May 2022, 18:02   #173
BHPian

As I have posted on this thread earlier, and as some have eluded to, there is a trade off in every choice. If you want VFM honestly the XUV knocks it off the park. If you want a plush ride and the gizmos the Kodiaq is an automatic choice. If you want presence then the Fortuner. If you want a fun, spacious 5 seater the Tiguan is perfect. If you want a seven seater don’t even look at any of these buy the innova or the carnival. Each person is looking for something that he cannot live without in a car and would choose one that fits that criteria. To the people who believe it’s the Jeep hope they have an enjoyable experience and keep updating the ownership experience.
EaurougeatSpa is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 18:39   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by careind View Post
I am on the lookout for a spacious ride and one of the disappointed ones with Meridian, thanks to the cramped 2nd row.
If the 2nd row had been more accommodating, I think Meridian could have really posed a serious threat to many of those SUVs and MPVs.
Now, the only hope is Tucson. And if that fails on some important aspect, I will probably make do with a Carens D 1.5 AT.
Tucson will definitely solve your 2nd row problems. But your comparison with Carens/Meridian looks like you want a 3 row SUV/Crossover. Tucson is a pure 5 seater.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 19:36   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvytorques View Post
My biggest takeaway from this price reveal is the Rs 2.65 lac difference in the ex-showroom between FWD & 4x4 version of 9AT Limited(O) trim.

If FWD version is launched with the Compass AT, it could result in some sweet savings for those who don't need a 4x4 but want an automatic gearbox with MJD.
Trust me, Jeep should have introduced the FWD 9S AT on the Compass long ago. They could have captured an even larger share of the market if they did so. I know quite a few people (self included) who didn't see the point of paying that premium for the AT just because of the 4x4! The arrogance dished out by one of the sales rep was that "Sir, this is Jeep trademark, we only do 4x4 in the premium end".. I decided not to argue for the sake of my sanity.. the FWD launch in the Meridian Diesel 9S AT is validation enough against that stupid sales pitch! The petrol AT is completely anemic to say the least!

Nevertheless, if they did it now, beats me why they don't go ahead and put it into the Compass? It's the same engine and seems to be the same gearbox as well so I really don't know what they're thinking.

Maybe they'll do it in the coming days for the Compass in a bid to offer a variant that's more cost conscious compared to the 33L+ OTR for the current 4x4 Diesel AT right now! Scarily expensive considering all the issues reported with quality and reliability!
Vandit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 21:30   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
Tucson will definitely solve your 2nd row problems. But your comparison with Carens/Meridian looks like you want a 3 row SUV/Crossover. Tucson is a pure 5 seater.
Actually I want a vehicle that seats 5 comfortably with decent boot space. It could be a 5 seater with an accommodating 2nd row or a 6 seater with an usable 3rd row ( preferably captains seats)
You either compromise on VFM or ride quality or GC or comfortable seating or boot space or ….
So based on that, Carens with 6 captain seats is a good compromise option for me.
Old 20th May 2022, 22:27   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by careind View Post
Actually I want a vehicle that seats 5 comfortably with decent boot space. It could be a 5 seater with an accommodating 2nd row or a 6 seater with an usable 3rd row ( preferably captains seats)
You either compromise on VFM or ride quality or GC or comfortable seating or boot space or ….
So based on that, Carens with 6 captain seats is a good compromise option for me.
Between Carens and Meridian, you have numerous options in 5 seater and above - 5 seaters with good boot space are Harrier, Hector, XUV700 5 seater, C5 aircross, current-gen Tucson, and 7 seaters (with usable 3rd row) are Crysta, Safari and another exception is the Carnival which solves all your problems except for GC.
I still don't get why you want the 2 extremes - Carens or Meridian and not considering the options in between.
Old 20th May 2022, 23:03   #178
BHPian

Had the privilege of unveiling the Jeep Meridian yesterday at KHT Domlur, Bangalore.

From the first look, its impressive but does it have the road presence to make heads turn? No.

Longer, wider, taller and bigger wheel base than Compass, this is definitely a good option for big families who won’t mind paying a premium price for luxurious interiors and the tried and tested engine.

The 3rd row looked cramped, though I did not get a chance to climb in it yet but noticed few tall kids struggling with leg space. The off-roading capability is apparently way better than a Compass 4*4 in every terrain. The monocoque frame assures of a minimal body roll.

Too early to say if its gonna be a success or failure, but if Jeep can resolve the niggling issues with Compass (rattling noise, software issues, unskilled technicians etc.) and do not increase the price abruptly when number of monthly bookings just start to look impressive, Meridian isn’t a bad deal.

For all those who ask if I am planning to exchange my Limited Plus 4*4 for Meridian, sorry to disappoint you That will have to wait.

Jeep Meridian Review-whatsapp-image-20220519-6.45.21-pm.jpeg
shikha_roy is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 10:23   #179
BHPian

Is it just me or does the side profile look like the Innova?
Old 21st May 2022, 10:57   #180
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shikha_roy View Post
The off-roading capability is apparently way better than a Compass 4*4 in every terrain.
From the media briefing - the off roading capability of the Meridian is better than the regular Compass 4x4, thanks to better ground clearance and much higher approach angle. Underlying hardware is the same though, and the Compass will be more nimble.

But not comparable to the focussed Compass Trailhawk 4x4. And the possibility of a Meridian Trailhawk can almost be ruled out.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed