Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2022, 13:15   #391
Senior - BHPian

Re: Jeep Meridian Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Handsome vehicles both. Quintessential Jeep looks!
Why do I have feeling that either of these Jeeps might end up replacing your Octavia. Is that still around? A fast sedan and practical tough SUV makes for an ideal garage. Don’t you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankaj@17 View Post
I couldn't help but notice that there is not much discussion about the manual variant of Meridian. This is especially surprising since most of the members have expressed their disappointment over the performance of the automatic gearbox. FE numbers are also not really very good for the automatic.

I am seriously considering Jeep Meridian Limited Optional Manual. Any specific cons for choosing a manual over a 4X2 automatic? My usage is mainly long distance. Thanks.
I guess a lot of bhpins now prefer auto tranny, especially in big SUV like Meridian. Although I think the manual does make a strong case for itself given that it’s a smooth, sophisticated nature/the auto in Meridian is not the best. You just need to think will you be okay with all that gear shifting over long period of time, not just 1-2 years. Best of luck!

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 16th October 2022 at 13:26.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 13:16   #392

I purchased 4*4 AT Limited (O) Meridian in Bengaluru. Any suggestions on the need for a ceramic coating? Also, what about installing a side-step? Dealer suggested that a side-step would help protect car from unruly bikers, but I found it to be making getting into car, more cumbersome.
Old 16th October 2022, 13:51   #393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankaj@17 View Post
I This is especially surprising since most of the members have expressed their disappointment over the performance of the automatic gearbox. FE numbers are also not really very good for the automatic.
May I know whether you have test driven the automatic? If not please do so. All amount of reviews doesn't matter as long as you have not experienced something. Actually I am guilty of this as well. I had rejected the Meridian after seeing Youtube reviews and reading print media reviews. Then after I test drove it, I felt that the car is not sluggish at all and the power on tap is more than enough for me. The gear shifts were not DSG level but it was seamless. The acceleration is linear which is good for your passengers(especially the ones with travel sickness). Once you are in the midrange the SUV just pulls and pulls. And while doing all this the cockpit is calm even at triple digits. Bad roads and potholes are gulped for breakfast by the Meridian. Coming to FE, I have seen people posting 14-16.5 kmpl(highways) on the FB owners group.

Last edited by ChetanM6 : 16th October 2022 at 13:52.
ChetanM6 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 10:36   #394
BHPian

New dilemma started:

We booked AX7L D AT XUV 7OO in Jan 2022 and were given the timelines for Sept 2023.

Got a call from the dealer (after lots of persuasion) that he MAY BE able to arrange the vehicle by this month end (preferred color and our selected variant only), if we are ready with the finances.

I have to now choose between Meridian FWD D AT Top end and AX7L D AT.

The OTR price difference (with extended warranty et al) is around 10L in Mumbai.

Appreciate advice and inputs from the members. Which one will you choose.

Use case is a typical urban dweller with 2 growing Teenagers and 2 adults, 80% city commute and 20% highway.
Old 17th October 2022, 11:58   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsynch View Post
New dilemma started:

We booked AX7L D AT XUV 7OO in Jan 2022 and were given the timelines for Sept 2023.

Got a call from the dealer (after lots of persuasion) that he MAY BE able to arrange the vehicle by this month end (preferred color and our selected variant only), if we are ready with the finances.

I have to now choose between Meridian FWD D AT Top end and AX7L D AT.

The OTR price difference (with extended warranty et al) is around 10L in Mumbai.

Use case is a typical urban dweller with 2 growing Teenagers and 2 adults, 80% city commute and 20% highway.
If there is a use case for long drives with 7 passengers then there is one unique advantage of Meridian Limited (O) over AX7L D AT in that you will be able to use rooftop carrier even with the panoramic sunroof. This will mitigate the lack of boot space when using all 3 rows of seats. You just wont be able to travel with 7 people and luggage in AX7L D AT (you could however go for one of the lower variants without the panoramic sunroof to get the roof rails and carriers from Mahindra official accessories).

Other than that it's purely a personal decision. There are plenty of positives in both cars and a few negatives as well. Either way it will be a good decision. All the best for your new car this Diwali
soarersc300 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 15:20   #396
BHPian

I have started getting a software update alert on my infotainment system recently in the Meridian. Have been ignoring it for past few days. Anyone knows and can guide me on best way / conditions to update the software in the Jeep Meridian ? I did a similar software update on my MG Astor and faced a huge problem apparently because I did not do it in the right company prescribed conditions. Whether the car needs to be stationary and idling or car needs to be running at a certain speed during software update ? Anything else to keep in mind. These cars are completely controlled now by the onboard software so this is really important.
Old 17th October 2022, 16:15   #397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For your use case, I think XUV 700 would be suitable.
finneyp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 17:13   #398
BHPian

Quote:

Drove to Lonavala one night with a Meridian and XUV. Both diesel awd. Drove each car one way.

Things I loved about the XUV over my Meridian:

1. Engine-gb combination. (Fun to drive in zoom mode, kick down response)
2. Headlights (booster lamps above 80 were on par with luxury marques)

Things I liked more on the Meridian:

1. Insulation (much quieter than XUV at ~120kmph)
2. Ride and Handling- Feels proper European in this regard

These were the main differences I could observe switching between the 2.

Note: The dash of the XUV went out for a solid 30s on the expressway. Very startling while doing triple digit speeds in the dead of the night.
revsperminute is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 16:45   #399
BHPian

Did a PDI as per the tbhp checklist, of an Aug manufactured Meredian 4x4.
Everything other than the below 2 issues checked out

1. Turning the steering full lock on either side with vehicle in D and brake pressed , results in intermittent creaking, tak-tak sound. The vehicle was parked on a smooth surface (workshop floor). The noise was not coming on every lock of the steering, but say 3/10 times

2. Just to check if there was any sound when the vehicle launches off fron standstill, put the car in D and released the brake pedal. The car moves smoothly without any noise, but then on braking to come to a stop it makes a loud creaking sound from the right side when the brakes are applied and the car comes to a stop
This happened everytime i tried this maneuver (5 times)

The SC guys said they will check, but i suspect either the ball joint or suspension mounts for the 1st problem. Not sure about the 2nd problem

They said they will do a road test and then check the noise. For 2nd they said they will clean the brakes (the discs did not show any sign of surface rust), however not sure if cleaning the disc/pads would resolve the braking noise

I am thinking of letting go of this sample, would like to hear inputs from members on whether it makes any sense to hope for issues to be resolved

Last edited by trance_nut : 20th October 2022 at 16:53.
Old 20th October 2022, 17:00   #400
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jainudit View Post
I have started getting a software update alert on my infotainment system recently in the Meridian. Have been ignoring it for past few days. Anyone knows and can guide me on best way / conditions to update the software in the Jeep Meridian ?
Mine popped up a week before my first 5000 km service so the SVC just did in the first service. Maybe just take it to them and get it done there. I believe it can take quite a while (few hours sometimes).

Talk to your SA maybe.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 17:10   #401
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trance_nut View Post
. Turning the steering full lock on either side with vehicle in D and brake pressed , results in intermittent creaking, tak-tak sound. The vehicle was parked on a smooth surface (workshop floor). The noise was not coming on every lock of the steering, but say 3/10 times
Not a Meridian owner familiar with any specific idiosyncracies, but just wanted to point out that the test (as carried out above) will usually lead to some kind of noise from the under-pressure steering rack and/or brakes and/or suspension.

My Cruze, Polo, Creta, Octavia and 330i all made/make different alarming noises depending upon the road surface and payload.

Last edited by itwasntme : 20th October 2022 at 17:23.
Old 20th October 2022, 17:49   #402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Not a Meridian owner familiar with any specific idiosyncracies, but just wanted to point out that the test (as carried out above) will usually lead to some kind of noise from the under-pressure steering rack and/or brakes and/or suspension.

My Cruze, Polo, Creta, Octavia and 330i all made/make different alarming noises depending upon the road surface and payload.
I think what you are mentioning applies when the steering is at full lock, those sounds are ok
Here the sound was coming while going from lock to lock
Old 23rd October 2022, 10:54   #403

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanOnRoad View Post
I purchased 4*4 AT Limited (O) Meridian in Bengaluru. Any suggestions on the need for a ceramic coating? Also, what about installing a side-step? Dealer suggested that a side-step would help protect car from unruly bikers, but I found it to be making getting into car, more cumbersome.
Any advice from an experienced jeep owner would be really helpful. I have owned Duster RXL for past 7 years and car has remained mostly uncovered in open air and frankly, I do not see its paint quality degrading. So, I don’t really understand this obsession with ceramic coating. Recently, my brother purchased a Thar 4*4 and immediately got ceramic coating, as if a car built for off road, would be unable to even maintain its paint. Although, that may be expected of Mahindra but I wonder if Jeep also suffers from such issues.
Old 23rd October 2022, 11:10   #404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanOnRoad View Post
Any advice from an experienced jeep owner would be really helpful. I have owned Duster RXL for past 7 years and car has remained mostly uncovered in open air and frankly, I do not see its paint quality degrading. So, I don’t really understand this obsession with ceramic coating. Recently, my brother purchased a Thar 4*4 and immediately got ceramic coating, as if a car built for off road, would be unable to even maintain its paint. Although, that may be expected of Mahindra but I wonder if Jeep also suffers from such issues.
No and no to both. You don't need Ceramic coating. Just get it polished from a good place every 7-8 months and you should be fine. Ceramic coating is incredibly hard to maintain and in our condition when you see the effect wear off within a few months (or weeks) it will hurt.

And don't get the side-step. It looks ugly.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 11:18   #405

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetanM6 View Post
May I know whether you have test driven the automatic? If not please do so. All amount of reviews doesn't matter as long as you have not experienced something. Actually I am guilty of this as well. I had rejected the Meridian after seeing Youtube reviews and reading print media reviews. Then after I test drove it, I felt that the car is not sluggish at all and the power on tap is more than enough for me. The gear shifts were not DSG level but it was seamless. The acceleration is linear which is good for your passengers(especially the ones with travel sickness). Once you are in the midrange the SUV just pulls and pulls. And while doing all this the cockpit is calm even at triple digits. Bad roads and potholes are gulped for breakfast by the Meridian. Coming to FE, I have seen people posting 14-16.5 kmpl(highways) on the FB owners group.
Yes I test drove the automatic. And I concur with the observation of fellow members. Mid range is really good. Unfortunately, the manual wasn’t available for test drive that day. I have requested Landmark Jeep for the manual test drive. Let’s see when that happens.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks