Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2022, 06:55   #61
BHPian

Re: Jeep Meridian Review

Thanks for a great review. The vehicle looks good overall, but, the pricing will be very important. A few more inches of room behind the third row and a lower floor where the third row is would have been great. Clearly, a fore-aft sliding second row would have been good too. Perhaps they are trying to emulate the new LC300.

Unfortunately, our market conditions don't seem to inspire Jeep to sell the Jeep Grand Cherokee L. The new Ford Everest looks very good too, but, alas Thailand and Philippines get that and more. Ford manages to sell even the Explorer in the Philippines, but, I guess the tax structure doesn't help them here in India. We are stuck with the Gloster, Fortuner and the rest of the unibody SUVs which all have issues.
THE-U- is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 08:57   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-U- View Post
Unfortunately, our market conditions don't seem to inspire Jeep to sell the Jeep Grand Cherokee L.
It was confirmed that the next and final launch for this year is a CKD Grand Cherokee. However, no further details revealed on specs planned for India.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 10:31   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
If someone buys this, he will be paying 8-10 Lakhs extra over Compass (OTR - just a guess) and in return what one get or loses -
1 Cramped 3rd row seat which is hardly usable, not a true 7 seater.
2 Less boot space if using 3 rows.
3 Ride and handling compromised due to extra length over compass.
4 Looks same as compass but loses SUV looks due to 3rd row seating.
5 Same power as compass which will be less due to increased size and weight.

Overall there are hardly any benefits for buyer for extra money he paying. Am I missing something?
Small clarification here - Ride and handling is not compromised due to extra length over Compass. In fact, I would say otherwise! The ride quality, handling and stability, particularly on highways, are stark improvements over the Compass. Not to suggest that the Compass was bad - it is in fact quite good! But the longer wheel base makes the Meridian a fantastic open-road cruiser. It just smothers bad roads like nothing else, and stability is also vastly improved. None of that choppiness that you may notice in the Compass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
Unfortunately, Meridian doesn't tick any of the boxes right.
A huge disappointment though.

Again Meridian is no alternative to Fortuner/Gloster. However, it may be considered as an alternative to Kodiaq based on few fronts.

Jeep's bad move this time such that probably we may start to count the days of Jeep in India.
It’s not all grim. In fact I would say the Meridian is a great all-round package. The only sore points would be the limited cabin room particularly for the 2nd row, and the potential high price that it would command. A few additional features like paddle shifts on the steering and a sliding 2nd row would have made it perfect, not to mention a better tune for the engine - which feels adequate for most situations. Nothing that a tune in the aftermarket can’t solve though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Top Gear Review on 4*2AT Limited Trim.

https://Youtu.be/naDkyvnuvBw

This guy compares it in Safari and Alcazar territory on the pricing front. Not sure if Jeep will go down that route as it may canabalise the Compass.

Like I said in my previous post , Compass 4*2 AT at mid spec will do wonders for Jeep Volumes.
I fear it’s going to be expensive - because the Jeep execs during the Meridian’s launch were quick to say that it belongs to a segment that’s one step higher than the Compass.

I am expecting an on-road (Bangalore) price tag of around 45-50 for the top end 4x4 AT.
suhaas307 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 11:50   #64
BHPian

The launch is around the corner and Jeep is still testing the SUV. Can’t figure out the reason.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Meridian Review-39aac14871dd4a99bbb9562184a7bf72.jpeg  

Jeep Meridian Review-58c9a3be84274867bc3811253df927e6.jpeg  

Jeep Meridian Review-bf1246ec03274e46b8768b8bc8d3dfdd.jpeg  

Jeep Meridian Review-312994a408cc4cbeb090e429fbf6bb42.jpeg  

Last edited by Guru_Shikhar : 3rd May 2022 at 11:53. Reason: Attachments missed
Guru_Shikhar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 12:26   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru_Shikhar View Post
The launch is around the corner and Jeep is still testing the SUV. Can’t figure out the reason.
Black alloys. Is this the Model S variant with additional features that may be slated to launch later? Hence the testing?
achyutaghosh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 13:09   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru_Shikhar View Post

Cheers.
We were informed that the car has already been tested for 7L+ km and will cross 8L+ kms before launch. It is normal for manufacturers to continue testing, even after launch.

That said- Some of the spy shots also show a Compass being tested parallel. My assumption - Could be the rumoured new 1.3 Turbo petrol.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 17:31   #67
Senior - BHPian

Jeep Meridian pre-bookings open ahead of launch

Jeep India has started accepting pre-bookings of the Meridian SUV. Customers can place their orders by paying a token amount of Rs. 50,000 on the brand's official website or at their nearest authorised dealership. Deliveries will commence in June 2022.

Jeep Meridian Review-2022jeepmeridian02.jpg

The Jeep Meridian shares its underpinnings with the Compass. It gets a slim 7-slat grille up front flanked by sleek LED headlights with LED daytime running lights. The rear features slim wraparound LED tail lamps with a chrome strip in the centre.

The interior of the Meridian is similar to its sibling, the Compass. The centre console houses a 10.1-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Apple Carplay and Android Auto connectivity, and a 10.25-inch digital instrument cluster.

The SUV also gets features like multi-zone automatic climate control, a panoramic sunroof, a powered tailgate, a 360-degree camera and 6 airbags.

Powering the Meridian is Jeep's familiar 2.0-litre diesel engine. It is paired with either a 6-speed manual or a 9-speed automatic transmission. The SUV will also be available with an all-wheel-drive option.

In India, the Meridian will compete with the likes of Skoda Kodiaq and Toyota Fortuner.
TusharK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 17:56   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Going by review and some comments here, unless Jeep prices this sensibly, might meet same fate as Alcazar or worse. Buyers will consider Meridian, compare against Compass and after seeing that you pay premium for extra boot space, will go ahead and book Compass or a better 7 seater.
Seeing the amount of hype around the off roading capability of Meridian in social media, I think Jeep management is aiming to put this against Fortuner and get market share left by Endeavor. I fully expect an Rs. 45-48 lacs on road Bangalore for this.

Comparing the specs especially the space inside and power figures, I am glad I bought the Kodiaq.
pk1972 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 20:46   #69
BHPian

My take-

Jeep is stuck in a weird situation- the Meridian has nothing much more to offer over key rivals like the Fortuner and the Skoda Kodiaq, and feels less premium than all of those cars. It lacks the power advantage(Fortuner), equipment and premium feel( Skoda Kodiaq, XUV700) and space isn't that great too. It could be an upgrade for existing compass owners- if Jeep prices it sensibly.
However, what they could do is to reduce the price of the overpriced Compass by 4-5 lakh, and slot in the Meridian around 1 lakh more than the current Compass. This might annoy existing Compass owners, but it'll fetch them more customers for the compass and since it will have a significant price advantage over Fortuner and Kodiaq( which it is being compared to currently by the Jeep management), that'll ensure footfalls for the Meridian too while not cannibalising the Compass' sales.
The main danger for Jeep right now is comparisons with Compass, and everyone( including me) agree on the fact that this is an extended Compass and nothing more.
Peri_patetic99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 21:12   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Jeep Meridian pre-bookings open ahead of launch

Jeep India has started accepting pre-bookings of the Meridian SUV. Customers can place their orders by paying a token amount of Rs. 50,000 on the brand's official website or at their nearest authorised dealership. Deliveries will commence in June 2022.
Honestly this has to change and not only for Jeep for all manufacturers in general. The dealers have been accepting bookings for 30k in Bangalore since April 1st week. They already have 35 bookings (may be maybe not). So what happens to the customer who was waiting for the official booking date to commence? He/she is already way behind in the line. This is what has happened with the Kodiaq and has left customers hanging.

Last edited by Axe77 : 3rd May 2022 at 21:21. Reason: Fixed quote tags.
Old 4th May 2022, 00:33   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peri_patetic99 View Post
My take-

Jeep is stuck in a weird situation- the Meridian has nothing much more to offer over key rivals like the Fortuner and the Skoda Kodiaq, and feels less premium than all of those cars. It lacks the power advantage(Fortuner), equipment and premium feel( Skoda Kodiaq, XUV700) and space isn't that great too. It could be an upgrade for existing compass owners- if Jeep prices it sensibly.
With the strategy that Jeep has been following in India, it is highly unlikely that they would price it sensibly. I feel they missed an opportunity to bring a more powerful version to give any remote competition to the mighty Toyota Fortuner or even the classy Skoda Kodiaq. I fail to understand why is it so difficult for manufacturers to come up with variety in terms of power terrain and features which can atleast give some serious competition. The closest that came was the Ford Endeavour 3.2L and there is absolutely no good option as an able substitute to the Fortuner.

The comparison with Compass (which by itself is not known for rear seat comfort) as an extended version is going to adversely affect them. Effectively one is not getting much value for a "7 seater" Compass and atrocious pricing will just be the final nail in the coffin and it is likely to follow the Mahindra Alturas and MG Gloster route. I sincerely hope to be proven wrong by the customers who make this a success.
jbpanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 05:08   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
It was confirmed that the next and final launch for this year is a CKD Grand Cherokee. However, no further details revealed on specs planned for India.
Thanks for the news. The Grand Cherokee L is a very nice SUV with reasonable space behind the third row that is not too uncomfortable. Hope Jeep will bring this over instead of the five seater non L version. They are not going to be competing with the X5s or the GLEs.
Old 5th May 2022, 10:23   #73
BHPian

Great review. Good to know that the ride quality has improved over the Compass. A family member is looking for 7 seater, hopefully Meridian makes it through against the usual suspects - Innova/Fortuner.

Surprised about the vague steering, have'nt experienced in the Compass.
Old 5th May 2022, 16:07   #74
Senior - BHPian

Roland Bouchara, CEO and MD of Stellantis India, talks about the Meridian's positioning, market for 7-seat models, plans for a petrol Meridian and more.

Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 17:41   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peri_patetic99 View Post
My take-

However, what they could do is to reduce the price of the overpriced Compass by 4-5 lakh, and slot in the Meridian around 1 lakh more than the current Compass.
Totally agree with this. The Compass and the Meridian are definitely premium cars however, they are grossly overpriced. A 10L premium over competitors like Korean and VAG siblings is definitely high. The sensible thing for FCA would be to launch this car in 30 - 35 L range (on road), however this will definitely be priced much much more considering Model S itself is approx 31 L on road in Pune.

Most Viewed