Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2022, 19:15   #121
BHPian

Re: Jeep Meridian Review

I feel it's a Kodiaq killer. Those prospective Kodiaq buyers who wish for a more sturdy abuse free car + diesel will go for Meridian. Prices seems to be reasonable to take on that segment.
enj0y_ride is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 19:17   #122

Hyundai Tucson can't come soon enough. Waiting for comparisons between the XUV 700, Jeep meridian and Tucson to make a call to replace my now 9 year old XUV500.
Old 19th May 2022, 19:21   #123
BHPian

Definitely not a worthy contender especially costing 6 lakhs more expensive than Compass. Looks like the only target is Kodiaq/Tiguan.
Will have a niche customer base for sure. But will fail in the volume game.

Last edited by Livnletcarsliv : 19th May 2022 at 19:22.
Old 19th May 2022, 19:22   #124
BHPian

What’s the difference in features by trim levels? Same as Compass?
Old 19th May 2022, 19:30   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakhar30 View Post
Does is make sense to buy non 4*4 version of meridian? Innova offers everything…
To answer your query, it doesn’t make sense to buy anything apart from Innova Crysta and Fortuner in their respective segments and price brackets simply because of the reliability, ease of maintenance and the cost of ownership in the long run.

Apart from that, there are all kind of products, overpriced, underpriced and appropriately priced for what they offer.

I am not a Jeep enthusiast or anything but I will buy the Meridian over Fortuner any day if I have to look beyond the reliability factor and decide purely based on the product’s merits.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 19th May 2022 at 19:50. Reason: typos
PaddleShifter is online now   (31) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 19:32   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakhar30 View Post
Introductory Price! Does is make sense to buy non 4*4 version of meridian? Innova offers everything that non 4*4 version offers!
80% of Fortuners sold are 4x2. It is funny that they do not buy the Innova, which essentially IS the cheaper, non 4x4 version of the Fortuner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enj0y_ride View Post
I feel it's a Kodiaq killer. Those prospective Kodiaq buyers who wish for a more sturdy abuse free car + diesel will go for Meridian. Prices seems to be reasonable to take on that segment.
Does the Kodiaq really require any killing? Skoda is doing it themselves by crimping stocks for India. .

Jokes apart, it is targeting that space- stylish, feature loaded, 5+ 2 kids seater, and once the petrol comes in, even though it is underpowered, it will still be a lot cheaper than the Kodiaq and target the same crowd. I was expecting top end to come in at 35, which may have been a reasonable launch price, but no, 37 is definitely not a great price. I would be pleasantly surprised if this does more than 150 units a month after initial excitement settles down.

Last edited by achyutaghosh : 19th May 2022 at 19:35.
achyutaghosh is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 19:36   #127
BHPian

8 lakh difference between the Meridian and Compass top end models seems very steep. Ideally it could have killed the segment (bar Fortuner) if it was priced at a 4 lakh difference.
Its reasonably priced when you compare to Kodiaq and especially Fortuner though.

What it needs to justify the added price as of now is a more powerful engine but more importantly, better rear seat space with a sliding rear seat. I hope Jeep can make the 2nd consideration at the earliest, it should not be too expensive to engineer that.
spkrnh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 19:38   #128
Senior - BHPian

Toyota has spoiled the game for customers. They are pricing Fortuner way to high, it gives space for others to price their cars higher. End of the day, customers are at loss. Top end AT variant will go around 45 Lacs on road which is really high. Base variant will also cost 35+ Lakhs OTR which is really high.

Tata, Mahindra must be happy with this kind of pricing. It gives them good space between 18-28 Lakhs OTR for their cars like Harrier, Safari, XUV700, New Scorpio Daddy (Hope so, fingers crossed).
aniketi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 19:42   #129
BHPian

The Jeep Meridian starts where the compass ends. The 4x4 AT variant costs close to ₹46.5 lakhs OTR Bengaluru which is around 9 big ones more than the Compass S 4x4 AT OTR which already expensive to begin with.

However, it is priced around ₹4.5 lakh OTR less than the Fortuner 4x4 AT and ₹2.5 lakhs OTR lesser than the petrol only Kodiaq. I'm not sure of the target customer here, the Fortuner and Kodiaq have a distinct customer base.

The real bummer here is same 170 PS motor as in the Compass and what makes matters worse is the XUV700 AWD is around ₹15 lakhs OTR cheaper than the Meridian. For a perspective you can buy a XUV700 AWD and a Sonet GT-line for the price of one Meridian.
Ptr11s is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 19:43   #130
Senior - BHPian

Here's a quick look at how the newly launched Jeep Meridian stacks up against its rivals - the Toyota Fortuner, Skoda Kodiaq and MG Gloster on the price graph.

Jeep Meridian Review-20220519_194320.jpg

Source : Autocar India

Last edited by Venkatesh : 19th May 2022 at 19:46.
Venkatesh is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 19:43   #131
Senior - BHPian

Jeep India is going the Compass way with Meridian pricing as well, as expected - trying to maintain their "premium" image at the cost of volumes (200-250 per month at best). They ain't eating into Fortuner pie for sure, with this pricing. Kodiaq to an extent, as it misses out on a diesel mill. Highest selling variant will be the Limited AT FWD. Only silver lining is the fact that customers shopping in this segment have one more option to consider.

Moreover, it is introductory pricing. By the time people get deliveries, there will be a hike

Last edited by cool_dube : 19th May 2022 at 19:53.
cool_dube is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 20:07   #132
BHPian

I feel it's a sweet spot in terms of pricing! Just assume that you don't have the compass (for price comparison), the Meridian becomes a good value proposition with a third row! All big cars are way more expensive and all their third rows are anyway not usable (except maybe Gloster?).
AshwinRS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 20:20   #133

Well priced if you compare with GLOSTER, KODIAQ and FORTUNER.
Expensive if you compare with XUV700 and SAFARI.
Anyways it’s good to have more options for customers in this segment.
Bluto18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 20:21   #134
Team-BHP Support

As a Compass owner - I think they should have kept the difference of the two within 5L of each other. This is the feedback I had provided to the management as well, and obviously they had other plans.

But speaking in terms of the segment - pricing seems ok, considering how overpriced the Fortuner has become, especially with variants like the GR.

In fact, it looks like the pricing of the Meridian is a big hit on social media -

Jeep Meridian Review-screenshot_20220519201203_instagram.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th May 2022 at 20:24.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 20:31   #135
Senior - BHPian

Good pricing. Sub-30L starting price looks good on paper. I think its a great start. All the cars from its segment are priced more.

P.S: We all know that Jeep could and will never eat into Fortuner's share. The customer base is different although there is some overlap. People who want to buy a Fortuner will always buy a Fortuner. The Meridian can start at 20L and people will still buy the Fortuner. Having said that, the ride quality will be significantly better in the Jeep. Period.

Last edited by Pancham : 19th May 2022 at 20:36.
Pancham is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed