Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2022, 20:47   #136
BHPian

Re: Jeep Meridian Review

This pricing reflects Jeep's continued premium positioning for its products in India. The premium over the Compass is very steep and makes the Compass look VFM, if you can imagine that This is likely to appeal to a niche audience and would be difficult to see this do more than 300-500 units a month

This just makes the XUV, Safari, Hector Pluses of the world look oh-so-VFM !
RoadTiger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 20:50   #137
VRJ
BHPian

I interpret the Meridian pricing in this way, why would I pay 50% more money than a Tata Safari that has the same engine and tune, similar feature set and similar interior space? I’m finding it hard to justify the price tag of the Meridian. Yes, if you compare it with the Fortuner, it’s 4L cheaper, but if you compare it with a Safari, it costs Rs. 15L more. The Safari isn’t a bad car. It’s roomy on the inside, good stock audio, ventilated seats in the front and the middle row (which the Meridian misses), good suspension, great road presence and has a panoramic sunroof. I guess the only thing the Safari is missing is the badge value. Jeep should’ve given the Meridian a higher state of tune or a hybrid. Something that would give it a USP (apart from the AWD, which majority of the retail customers don’t care about). 6L more than the Compass just isn’t right. Compass is overpriced to begin with, and the Meridian seems to offer not much value for the additional money paid. There’s just no end to my hunt for replacing our 2018 MT Fortuner with a 50L budget.

Cheers!
VRJ is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 20:59   #138
BHPian

Though I have a lot of issues with Compass, I somehow think the pricing is ok for Meridien. Personally I would have picked a Diesel AT in lower trims in Compass if there was one.

If Jeep wants to increase numbers, they should make FWD auto diesel available in all trims of Compass and Meridien.
sheelapratosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 21:01   #139
BHPian

Customers are less finicky on price in this segment, I suppose . Still, Jeep is offering a proper AWD cheaper than Kodiaq with a diesel engine. It’s also cheaper than Gloster entry 4*4 variant.

I will say it’s a decent pricing and it can play second fiddle to Fortuner. More than price, it’s sales/after sales experience which shall decide the fate of Meridian in its segment.

Might be OT -
For Pune, I detest taking my Linea to only FASS/JASS in city. It’s cramped inside despite the limited number in which Stellantis products are sold. Also, place is located at an extremely busy junction in which you can’t keep an activa outside, forget about a car.

Jeep should look for a new and bigger place to handle more cars and keep their premium customers happy.

Last edited by abhi_tjet : 19th May 2022 at 21:04.
abhi_tjet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 21:28   #140
Senior - BHPian

Jeep Meridian On-road prices for Bombay

Jeep Meridian Review-jdxo1bo.png
Maky is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 21:32   #141
Senior - BHPian

Different customers will have different requirements and priorities and not many will have problem with the power figures. But for me, paying ~ 46 lakhs OTR Bangalore for top end with 170BHP and 350NM torque is a BIG NO. Paying that much I would expect the car to be very fast, not around 10.8 seconds (Jeep claimed) 0 to 100.
For the money Meridian commands one should feel special in terms of the power figures and this is just adequate. Also not a fan of the design, love Compass for its look though.
sunikkat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 21:47   #142
BHPian

I think the Fortuner is more value for money (VFM) than the Meridian. Let me explain with some numbers.

The base AT trim of the Meridian is approx. 5.5 lakhs cheaper than the base AT trim of the Fortuner. The Fortuner has a better engine, for which I'd be willing to pay 2 lakhs more. So the effective difference is 3.5 Lakhs.

Compounding 3.5 lakhs at an interest rate of 5% for 10 years (targetted inflation), we get ~ 5.75 lakhs.

The Fortuner can easily claw back more than 5.75 lakhs, within 10 years, due to the higher resale value, and lower maintenance costs.

I would choose the Fortuner over the Meridian if I were looking purely for VFM.
buzzy_boy is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 21:51   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
Jeep Meridian On-road prices for Bombay
Regular Fortuner’s 4X4 AT is around 2-3L OTR more than the Meridian’s top spec 4X4 AT 9AT. Will happily pay that difference and pick a Fortuner over the Meridian. Will get back more money than what was paid more at the beginning with ease.

Reasons for picking the Fortuner:-

- Has more space in all rows of seating, more importantly a sliding 2nd row bench
- Bigger boot with the 3rd row up
- More power and torque
- Better off-road capabilities
- Better after sales and service experience
- Lesser features to go wrong

Meridian positives:-

- More Features
- Better ride quality

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 19th May 2022 at 21:59.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 22:03   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRJ View Post
I interpret the Meridian pricing in this way, why would I pay 50% more money than a Tata Safari that has the same engine and tune, similar feature set and similar interior space?
Every month, around a 1000 users do exactly that- they pay 30-40% more over the Harrier to buy the Compass. Now Tata has positioned from a pricing perspective, the Safari as Harrier+2, while Jeep is positioning Meridian as a separate product, not a Compass+2. Many, including me do not agree to it but then that is what they think. Plus, the entire world runs on the power of the brand. A Magnite also transports 4 people with ease, as does a 4X more expensive Compass, but not everyone buys the Magnite. Each brand has its own pull.I do remember reading how Jeep brand is valued more than FCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRJ View Post
There’s just no end to my hunt for replacing our 2018 MT Fortuner with a 50L budget.
Frankly there is no option, my friend, if you are a hard core offroader. Just go ahead and pick up another Fortuner 4x4 MT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshwinRS View Post
All big cars are way more expensive and all their third rows are anyway not usable (except maybe Gloster?).
I find the Fortuner 3rd row to be very usable. And have you tried the Carnival? Puts the Gloster to shame. The safari 3rd row is decent too, though at the cost of boot space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Toyota has spoiled the game for customers. They are pricing Fortuner way to high, it gives space for others to price their cars higher. End of the day, customers are at loss.
I think it is every brand for themselves in the market, Toyota's actions notwithstanding. Let us see how Jeep is able to maintain the premium positioning for Meridian. Is it able to give a reliable product, and great after sales service like Toyota? Is it able to really build the Jeeplife loyalty program? Is it able to attract the entry level German car buyer to the brand- that is the target audience for the Meridian i feel, not the Fortuner buyer. That will determine whether pricing is right for the Meridian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrnh View Post
8 lakh difference between the Meridian and Compass top end models seems very steep. Ideally it could have killed the segment (bar Fortuner) if it was priced at a 4 lakh difference.
Having worked in one, i know auto companies go through massive pains to price their product. Mapping out competition, identifying target audiences, what their likes and dislikes are, and how the product addresses their needs, and hence, the price they want to charge, and the variant they want to push the most- it is complex process, and hundreds of jobs are dependent on whether the product succeeds or fails. We are all crying wolf at the 4x4 pricing but less than 10% will eventually buy that variant. I think the most popular variant will be the Limited FWD AT at 31.8 lakhs, and the price is attractive too, with little competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts
Regular Fortuner’s 4X4 AT is around 2-3L OTR more than the Meridian’s top spec 4X4 AT 9AT
How is this mathematically possible ? Ex-showroom price itself is 4 lakh lower for Meridian top spec as compared to 4x4 AT. On road price should be around 5 lakh lesser. And we are not even getting into the far more expensive Legender and GRS variants.

Last edited by achyutaghosh : 19th May 2022 at 22:22.
achyutaghosh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 22:05   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Regular Fortuner’s 4X4 AT is around 2-3L OTR more than the Meridian’s top spec 4X4 AT 9AT. Will happily pay that difference and pick a Fortuner over the Meridian.
I was at the Jeep Meridians launch a few hours ago...
I can say with some confidence after looking and feeling the car inside and out, this is more targetted towards competing with the Kodiaq rather that the Fortuner.
A completely different product, may or may not take up would've been Endeavours customers but definitely won't be touching the Fortuner crowd.
Maky is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 22:20   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post

I find the Fortuner 3rd row to be very usable. And have you tried the Carnival? Puts the Gloster to shame.
You are right, but I intentionally didn't include the MPVs in the mix while making that statement.
Old 19th May 2022, 22:36   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
How is this mathematically possible ? Ex-showroom price itself is 4 lakh lower for Meridian top spec as compared to 4x4 AT. On road price should be around 5 lakh lesser. And we are not even getting into the far more expensive Legender and GRS variants.
3.08 Lakh is the exact price difference in the ex-showroom costs between the two

OTR Mumbai price comparison of Regular Fortuner’s 4X4 AT and Meridian’s 4X4 AT Limited(O)

Jeep Meridian Review-9a9282b8ee1d47bd96e5d48ed7fdba93.jpeg

Ended up seeing and comparing the OTR Corporate price of the Meridian with the individual OTR price of the Fortuner.

Sorry about the error!

But still my choice will be the Fortuner

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 19th May 2022 at 22:41.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 22:37   #148
Senior - BHPian

If you love (care about) driving, the the Meridian > Fortuner.
Pricing seems alright, for what the Meridian can do on & off the road.

Last edited by parrys : 19th May 2022 at 22:38.
parrys is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 22:51   #149

My biggest takeaway from this price reveal is the Rs 2.65 lac difference in the ex-showroom between FWD & 4x4 version of 9AT Limited(O) trim.

If FWD version is launched with the Compass AT, it could result in some sweet savings for those who don't need a 4x4 but want an automatic gearbox with MJD.
revvytorques is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 22:56   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
But still my choice will be the Fortuner
Even mine. I was a Jeep customer for 3 years, and while the product was largely trouble-free, but somehow never got the peace of mind that Fortuner has given me in last 8 months. The dual clutch heating up did not help too.

I do not even think twice planning 4000 km trips now, but when i had the Jeep there always was the niggling feel- will the battery be ok, what if there is a breakdown, what about spare part availability, what about service quality, what if my favorite service advisor leaves- and all that. And i care two hoots for the sunroof. So yes, even for me, the choice would be Fortuner anyday

Last edited by achyutaghosh : 19th May 2022 at 23:01.
achyutaghosh is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed