Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2022, 21:54   #226
Team-BHP Support

Re: Jeep Meridian Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Jeep Meridian Limited (O) 4X2 AT Test-drive Experience

• Solid build quality, tank-like feeling while sitting inside.
• Smothers the worst of roads, and rounds of speedbreaks and big potholes with aplomb, the Fortuner just can’t do the same at city speeds.
• 4X2 AT in the Meridian not available with the Compass, gives more options to the customer to choose from.
• Easy to drive, masks it’s size well from behind the wheel, just doesn’t feel like a 4796mm long SUV.
• A brilliant SUV for someone looking for a sedate highway cruiser, that can return great fuel economy and at the same time be rock steady at highway speeds.
• A brilliant and light steering wheel that weighs up well as speed increases. Touched 100 kmph, the car was very composed and unfazed.
• Not a single rattle or squeak from any corner from the car, as compared to the Compass, where owners are now beyond frustrated.
• Braking is strong and sure-footed.
Quote:
Dislikes:
• The engine and gearbox tuning is far from ideal, the gearbox is slow to respond. The engine was feeling strained at part-throttle with only 2 people ( the SA and me). This was the 4X2 AT, I wonder how the 4X4 AT will feel like with the added weight. The Fortuner’s 2.8L motor in Eco mode (forget the Sport mode) can eat the Meridian’s 2.0L motor for breakfast, lunch and dinner! Had taken a test-drive of the Fortuner 4X4 AT just 2 weeks back and can’t forget the Eco mode of the Fortuner where it picked up great speeds at even 10% throttle inputs.
• Space is a big issue inside the cabin, the first row width is just about adequate. The dashboard gives the Compass feel and then you remember how the Compass is cramped for its price.
• In the second row, with the front seat adjusted to my height, the legroom is alright but the headroom is clearly lacking.
• The Jeep SA was boasting of the safety features, but something as basic as a 3-pointer seatbelt and headrest is lacking for the ‘middle/third’ passenger in the middle row.
• The third row is completely useless, one look at it and I didn’t even want to sit in it.
• The backrest of the 3rd row is massive, haven’t seen such a huge one in any car! And it clearly hampers the rearward visibility from the IRVM.
• Doesn’t get the same respect as a Fortuner on the road, flash your high beam in the Fortuner and people simply move away, nothing of that sort in the Meridian.
Quote:
Coming back to the most awaited question: Meridian VS Fortuner

I have said it a lot of times in the various full size 7 seater SUV polls conducted till now. A monocoque SUV prospective customer isn’t going to look at a BoF SUV and vice-versa.

The Meridian’s strong points are it’s brilliant highway cruising capabilities with rock-solid stability and the tank-like feeling inside the cabin.

The engine just pulls the overall experience down! This engine has no business doing business in a 41-45 Lakh car, period! A 20-27 Lakh Harrier gets the same engine. Seems like FCA wants the public to term the 2.0L MJD as the national engine as well similar to the 1.3L MJD, only difference being this time across a wide price bracket as well!!
Quote:
Things against the Fortuner:
• The biggest dealbreaker for anyone is going to be the ride quality in the city. This is where the Jeep scores big time!!
• Price!!! The Fortuner has gone from a 20 Lakh SUV to a 60 Lakh SUV and how!
Great summary. Everything I would have to say of my experience with the 4x4 Meridian is aptly captured in the quoted extract above. Apologies for quoting long portions but its a conscious choice as I’ve edited out a few lines here and there which don’t resonate 100% with me or I don’t have perspective on, leaving all the bits above that are “+1” agreement from me too.

In my case, reasons why, based on most of the above I still bought the Meridian:

# Need a spacious two row vehicle with mature ride and build quality.
# We’re all pretty short and not overtly wide (yet!, although I might be getting there if I don’t take corrective measures soon) and the lack of headroom / width didn’t seem apparent to us. We were fairly comfy in both rows of the car. This will mostly be a car with 3 - 4 passengers. Very rarely even 5.
# Full fat BOF is just not the price I’d like to pay to compensate for the Meridian’s “adequate” but not “exciting” engine.
Axe77 is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 16:23   #227
Team-BHP Support

Got my 4x4 Limited (O) delivered today in Mumbai.

Putting some pics below, which are mostly from last Monday at the PDI we did at the stockyard with only one last pic (with the whitened plate) at the showroom earlier today. Sorry all the pics are quite unexciting as I (/ my wife) didn’t really have the time or a proper place to click them. Will hopefully take better pics when I get the chance to do a proper drive. So far have literally just driven showroom to basement parking at home.

Jeep Meridian Review-8a01805b839349b5aac8b62365d1434f.jpeg

Jeep Meridian Review-69914429756c4ea491990704eefeeb1e.jpeg

Jeep Meridian Review-af073dca7a78416fb9f7445cf3c841eb.jpeg

Jeep Meridian Review-819708952e4b487a88638705ac5d912e.jpeg

Jeep Meridian Review-0243baad3c0543c5b85b7247faacc99c.jpeg

Axe77 is online now   (84) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 16:42   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post

Putting some pics below, which are mostly from last Monday at the PDI we did at the stockyard with only one last pic (with the whitened plate) at the showroom earlier today. Sorry all the pics are quite unexciting as I (/ my wife) didn’t really have the time or a proper place to click them. Will hopefully take better pics when I get the chance to do a proper drive. So far have literally just driven showroom to basement parking at home.
Congrats man! I one of the few who actually think Meridian is an awesome all-rounder - given the general skeptic opinion about this SUV. It offers a diesel automatic, with sophisticated interiors and monocoque chassis, giving it an urban/classy vibe. Slight lack of power, and slow gearbox notwithstanding.

The Koqiaq and Tiguan, Meridien’s closest rivals, are petrols (diesel suits full sized SUV genre better IMHO). The Fortuner is BOF, and a completely different vehicle according to me. It’s grossly overpriced too.

Will have bought this myself as replacement for my Jetta if money grew on trees. Sadly, it doesn’t

PS: you have diesel overload in your garage now. The GT will need to be replaced by a F-A-S-T petrol/ EV in due course of time. 3GL, 530i, or i4 - take your pick

Last edited by Axe77 : 14th June 2022 at 17:54. Reason: Minor typo.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 16:51   #229
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Meridian is an awesome all-rounder - given the general skeptic opinion about this SUV. It offers a diesel automatic, with sophisticated interiors and monocoque chassis, giving it an urban/classy vibe. Slight lack of power, and slow gearbox notwithstanding.

PS: you have diesel overload in your garage now. The GT will need to be replaced by a F-A-S-T petrol/ EV in due course of time. 3GL, 530i, or i4 - take your pick
Haha thanks man - that was largely the reasoning.

Your choices on the GT replacement are uncannily close. Its too early for shortlists as I want to take the GT to 2025 but in a today context a petrol 3GL / M340i / i4 / EV6 sort of cars are the exact ones in my thought process.

Last edited by Axe77 : 15th June 2022 at 08:58. Reason: Minor typo.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 16:55   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got my 4x4 Limited (O) delivered today in Mumbai
Many congratulations Axe77 Wishing you lacs of happy miles on the Jeep - looks uber-cool in that shade. It is a great all-rounder and I am sure will keep you & family happy on those long highway hauls. Awaiting your ownership thread

Last edited by cool_dube : 14th June 2022 at 17:01.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 17:55   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Haha thanks man - that was largely the reasoning.

Your choices on the GT replacement are uncannily close. Its too early for shortlists and I want to take the GT to 2025 but in a today context a petrol 3GL / M340i / i4 / EV6 sort of cars are the exact ones in my thought process.
Off topic - but soldiering your GT till 2025 is even better - M340i/S5 type cars will hit used market in reasonable numbers by the
Old 14th June 2022, 21:09   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations on the Jeep

For the use-case you had mentioned earlier, the Meridian fits the bill with aplomb!

Wishing you lakhs of happy kilometres

And that colour is going to be a very rare one, will help in the exclusivity! None of the media drive pictures from across various sources had this colour.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 08:55   #233
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Putting some pics below, which are mostly from last Monday at the PDI we did at the stockyard with only one last pic (with the whitened plate) at the showroom earlier today.
[/center]
Congrats Axe77! Wish you many years of Happy Driving! The Meridian in this colour looks quite nice and different.
Behemoth is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 13:08   #234
BHPian

Quote:

[/center]
@Axe77, congratulations on your new acquisition, look forward to see detailed first ever meridian ownership review.
sameerpb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 15:20   #235
BHPian

Jeep Meridian Review-ab81f8290abc4e4a93c5ff87c02a689a.jpeg

Jeep Meridian Review-baf56a1c05fa4810af34f72a466df3d3.jpeg

Jeep Meridian Review-29a918aee07947f98b4139f579341aef.jpeg

Jeep Meridian Review-993dd0baf5a3484c96cc51926c2bba42.jpeg

Jeep Meridian Review-0d1523e2b55540d0b19d7a1bf6e11380.jpeg

Jeep Meridian Review-3b8ce38f745647a29c094faf20edc6e0.jpeg

Jeep Meridian Review-f5d31903561d4c668dea6b786f3f142d.jpeg

Got first Meridian of North India delivered on 12th.

My first impression….can I return and get my money back?

Don’t get me wrong. Car is fantastic but can you run a truck on a scooter’s engine and gearbox?

As aptly captured in review above, it is a sedate highway cruiser. Try to overtake in a hurry and gearbox would want to jump out off chassis.

Good interior at front but premium feel degrades as you move to 2nd and 3rd row.

Solidly built and you won’t have to worry about the road/no-road beneath the car.

I hope it performs off-road on my expedition. I test drove a test mule before the media launch and that car probably had a bigger engine or a differently tuned engine.

I suspect the engine is ok but the gearbox is lazy; or they forgot to tune the gearbox and engine and used maps of the Compass!!

Anyway, planning to get RaceChip along with XLR to change the throttle response. Nothing can be done on the gearbox front unless Jeep does some software upgrade on it.

“Personal” Verdict: good stop-gap arrangement for me till the new X7 comes to India. I may change my mind after adding the RaceChip and XLR. Will keep you posted.

Fortuner doesn’t have to worry. This is no competition. As much as I hope it doesn’t happen, Meridian is bound to be sold on heavy discounts soon. It won’t sell beyond the initial hype.

Quote:

Many congratulations Axe77. Lovely colour.

Last edited by Aditya : 17th June 2022 at 20:20. Reason: Grammar
rishi_kapoor is offline   (67) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 15:47   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi_kapoor View Post

I hope it performs off-road on my expedition. I test drove test mule before the media launch and that car probably had bigger engine or differently tuned engine.

I suspect engine is ok but the gearbox is lazy. Or they forgot to tune gearbox and engine and used maps of Compass!!
First of all Congratulations on your buy.

Quick question - did you not get a chance to test drive the post media launch model? The power was always a concern many had on Meridian and I would have been looking at it more closely before putting in the money.

Hope the tune box really improves the performance.
Old 16th June 2022, 16:20   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
First of all Congratulations on your buy.

Quick question - did you not get a chance to test drive the post media launch model? The power was always a concern many had on Meridian and I would have been looking at it more closely before putting in the money.

Hope the tune box really improves the performance.
I did test drove post launch. It seemed ok on short drive but now that car is finally with me, I am really feeling lack of power.

Again, this is my “feeling”. On the contrary wife drove it last night (she was driving a 2.0 X4) and she was completely fine with it. She did mention that gearbox is not as responsive as it should be but she was ok with power.

I think more than tube box, XLR (which changes throttle response) may correct some of throttle lag.

Again, great car from every other perspective but 2.0 is not the right engine for it. Rumour has it that grand Cherokee is being launched with 6 Cyl 3.0 thus Jeep didnt want Meridian to eat in that territory. But that being the case then it should have been priced around 35 lakhs on road at best.

Last edited by rishi_kapoor : 16th June 2022 at 16:25. Reason: Auto spell correction
rishi_kapoor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 17:49   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi_kapoor View Post
I did test drove post launch. It seemed ok on short drive but now that car is finally with me, I am really feeling lack of power.
Hi rishi_kapoor, for someone coming from a Seltos DCT (Petrol), do you think this will feel inadequate?
In our test drive even though we felt it to be a little slow, but it did not feel like a deal breaker. On reading that your experience seemed ok during a short test drive but now you aren't liking it, i am worried since we are contemplating on the Meridian 4 X 2!
Would the 4 X 2 feel any better since there is no additional weight?
car-o-holic is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 17:54   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-o-holic View Post
Hi rishi_kapoor, for someone coming from a Seltos DCT (Petrol), do you think this will feel inadequate?
In our test drive even though we felt it to be a little slow, but it did not feel like a deal breaker. On reading that your experience seemed ok during a short test drive but now you aren't liking it, i am worried since we are contemplating on the Meridian 4 X 2!
Would the 4 X 2 feel any better since there is no additional weight?
Don’t worry too much. Test drive car was good enough so it seems my car will take a while for engine to open up and gearbox to learn (apparently this is an adaptive gear box).

Don’t expect DCT like smoothness as this is a different gearbox. There is definitely lazy lag in gear shifts.
rishi_kapoor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 17:55   #240
BHPian

Quote:
How are you liking it so far? Do you find it to be too slow or the gear box tuning to be out of enough power for the engine?
Your feedback would be invaluable please, since I am close to finalising on the Meridian!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks