Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2022, 14:39   #286

Re: Jeep Meridian Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
Look at the positive side. More Meridians in 2 months than Kodiaqs in a whole year
The extremely low number of Kodiaqs is certainly one of the reasons I chose against one.. affects everything from sales, service, resale..

Certainly hope Meridian is not around to merely "complete" the SUV lineup from Jeep. I don't mind if it doesn't sell in high volumes, so long as sales are sufficient to keep it a sustainable model in the near future!
Machine_Mania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 15:18   #287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pqr View Post
The wholesale of Jeep Meridian is not so good, so far.
  • June 2022: 1,071
  • July 2022: 440
I wouldn’t call 440 as a bad number. Even if they are able to do >300 units consistently it would be good. We cannot compare the numbers with Fortuner.
sunikkat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 15:40   #288
pqr
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
Look at the positive side.
It is all about perspective.

The glass is half full. (Jeep India management at the time of appraisal )

Jeep Meridian Review-1.png

Half-empty glass. (Jeep Global management at the time of appraisal )

Jeep Meridian Review-2.png

Well, Jeep India seriously needs to re-work on the Meridian product strategy. They should introduce a new powerful turbo petrol engine, re-tune the existing diesel engine for higher power and torque output, and add a sliding rear seat bench to liberate more rear space. Else, Meridian would settle down to a 200-300 level in the near future, just like the old underpowered CKD Kodiaq TDI (doing 150-200 units a month), defeating the very purpose of RHD's export-oriented production strategy Jeep has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
I wouldn’t call 440 as a bad number. Even if they are able to do >300 units consistently it would be good. We cannot compare the numbers with Fortuner.
You are right, comparing with Fortuner doesn’t make sense, as both are targeted at different end-market customer segments. However, the project won’t be financially feasible if volume drops below 500 units.
pqr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 16:10   #289

Quote:
Originally Posted by pqr View Post
comparing with Fortuner doesn’t make sense, as both are targeted at different end-market customer segments. However, the project won’t be financially feasible if volume drops below 500 units.
1. Niche Market
IMHO because of its understated design (read: not being a BOF monster truck), the Meridian may appeal to a smaller group who are partial towards some of its USPs like ride quality, sophistication & features (vs. the butch size and road presence of a Fortuner). In that sense, its market perhaps overlaps with the Kodiaq more than the Fortuner?

2. Realistic Expectations
I think expectations should be realistic. Despite its popularity & high desirability, IIRC Endeavour sales mostly fluctuated between 300-500/ month.

Even at that level, the Meridian may be far more profitable than Endeavour. Jeep seems to have padded the cost a bit by charging a premium price. Common parts with Compass should also give it network effect benefit.

Hence muted sales may still be cause for celebration for Jeep & keep it quite profitable/ sustainable?
Machine_Mania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 12:00   #290
BHPian

Just experienced the DPF cleaning yesterday in my new Jeep Meridian. Was really worried how it takes place, how much time it takes etc when buying the vehicle.
Surprisingly the first DPF cleaning happened only after 300 km in my car. The DPF cleaning light lit up on the dashboard as I was driving, thankfully I noticed it as there as no chime or buzz or anything, just a light popup. I continued driving for about 7-8 minutes but put the car in manual mode (its an automatic transmission car) to drive in lower gears at higher rpm. The light went off within 7-8 minutes of driving about 5 km.
Jainudit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 16:39   #291

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jainudit View Post
Surprisingly the first DPF cleaning happened only after 300 km in my car.
Is it true that this usually happens when only short journeys are done? I'm told self-cleaning is more efficient on longer drives (15-20 kms) & so if light comes on solution is to take the car for a spin on the highway!
Old 8th August 2022, 17:18   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Just experienced the DPF cleaning yesterday in my new Jeep Meridian. Was really worried how it takes place, how much time it takes etc when buying the vehicle.
Surprisingly the first DPF cleaning happened only after 300 km in my car. The DPF cleaning light lit up on the dashboard as I was driving, thankfully I noticed it as there as no chime or buzz or anything, just a light popup. I continued driving for about 7-8 minutes but put the car in manual mode (its an automatic transmission car) to drive in lower gears at higher rpm. The light went off within 7-8 minutes of driving about 5 km.
While I don't have the meridian I have the Jeep compass & have not got this message even once. I have driven my car for 11K kms so far. The way you resolved the issue is the correct way & the same has been recommended by the service centre as well

Last edited by Axe77 : 8th August 2022 at 18:26. Reason: Minor edits (i —> I).
AbhishekMushran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 17:26   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekMushran View Post
While i don't have the meridian i have the Jeep compass & have not got got this message even once. I have driven my car for 11K kms so far. The way you resolved the issue is the correct way & the same has been recommended by the service centre as well
Thanks Abhishek, I think why I got this message is because I have only driven my car in bumper to bumper city conditions from the time I got delivery. I understand that if you regularly drive these vehicles on free roads then the DPF cleaning is not needed as the regular exhaust pressure keeps clearing the filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine_Mania View Post
Is it true that this usually happens when only short journeys are done? I'm told self-cleaning is more efficient on longer drives (15-20 kms) & so if light comes on solution is to take the car for a spin on the highway!
You are probably correct. If we drive the vehicle regularly for longer durations on open roads (not bumper to bumper daily short commute like me) then the DPF cleaning happens at much longer intervals as the normal exhaust air takes care of cleaning the filter. In any case if the light does come on then we just need to keep driving till it goes off on its own.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here. We advise you to read the Forum Rules please.

Last edited by Axe77 : 8th August 2022 at 18:29. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
Jainudit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 20:07   #294

Quote:
I have only driven my car in bumper to bumper city conditions from the time I got delivery
The beast is letting you know it needs to be set free on some open stretches! Congratulations on your purchase. 300 km done, do share more about your experience/ photos if/ when you can. Did you get PPF/ Ceramic Coating? (Sorry, it has become my pet question these days!)

I'm still at the stage of finalizing my purchase (i.e., in the process of family reaching a consensus). Daily 2 hrs minimum are necessarily spent day-dreaming of the Meridian!

Last edited by Axe77 : 8th August 2022 at 20:49. Reason: Max two emojis per post please. Thank you.
Machine_Mania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 10:41   #295
BHPian

That is true as all these diesel guzzlers are meant to be driven over long distances. I did not go for PPF/Ceramic coating from company although contemplating visiting 3M guys for a quote.
Best of luck in deciding your purchase, and do spend a lot of time in and around the Meridian before deciding. If I were to go through the whole process again, I would likely go for the Fortuner instead of the Meridian for a lot of reasons. I am not impressed with the build quality of the Meridian honestly especially the interiors. It does look like a swanky car when you see it immediately after sitting in a Fortuner however the longevity of the bells and whistles that the company is giving, seems doubtful. Compare that to the unmatched reliability of Toyota, extremely low maintenance and much more powerful engine and you are faced with a very tough choice.
Old 9th August 2022, 13:18   #296

I have booked my Jeep Meridian 4x4 Limited (O) AT and should get delivery by end of week.

I somehow think that the pricing has overall shifted one level above across the automobile industry and so while Meridian at 44L might look expensive by about 3-4 lacs, it may actually not be in comparison with overall market situation.

When i bought my BMW 320d in Dec 2018, the OR price was 55L, now it is approx. 64L and if you look at the changes introduced in the latest 320d, it isnt material enough. Input costs going up seems to be the root cause of this level of pricing across the industry.

In line with the increase in the new car segment, 2nd hand market is also on fire.

I sold my 9 year old i10 48k run for 3.10 lacs. Never expected this prices especially with me changing from MH to TN and also name change from my BIL to mine.

But yes, it hurts paying so much for cars in India

Quote:
I'm still at the stage of finalizing my purchase (i.e., in the process of family reaching a consensus). Daily 2 hrs minimum are necessarily spent day-dreaming of the Meridian!
I too spent loads of time deciding and then negotiating. In the end reasonably happy with the final pricing and then took 1 day to decide the color. Now spending 1 more day to choose the number.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 10th August 2022 at 17:05. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts.
gulmohars is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 12:07   #297

Quote:
I would likely go for the Fortuner
Ah, the grass-is-greener bias! If you went through your process of selection, gotta have faith in what you've picked (especially this early on)! Chances are, you would've been unhappy with the Fortuner after having seen the feature list of the Meridian. My brother drives a Fortuner & is drooling over my prospective Meridian. Keep it for a bit, and I'm sure you'll find happy buyers if you decide to change your decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulmohars View Post
I have booked my Jeep Meridian 4x4 Limited (O) AT and should get delivery by end of week.

I somehow think that the pricing has overall shifted one level above across the automobile industry and so while Meridian at 44L might look expensive by about 3-4 lacs, it may actually not be in comparison with overall market situation.
Congratulations! Do share photos/ your initial review if you get the chance. Which color have you selected? I'm considering the exact same trim as yours in White color.

Indeed, spot on - pricing is high across the board & once I realized this, the choice of the "perfect" car was mostly a factor of needs/ utility, reliability, budget & aesthetics. I really wanted the Fortuner to fit the role, but the shocking lack of features & the sometimes negative image associated with it make it a harder choice for my family members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulmohars View Post
I too spent loads of time deciding and then negotiating. In the end reasonably happy with the final pricing and then took 1 day to decide the color. Now spending 1 more day to choose the number.
Congratulations! Could you negotiate any freebies/ discounts? As others have pointed out - do negotiate hard on the insurance especially. Are you considering the Ceramic Coating?
Old 10th August 2022, 12:42   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Ah, the grass-is-greener bias!
I really hope that's the case and that I get more comfortable with my decision over time (for my sake). The build quality of the Meridian has to stand the test of time actually.
Some of the things like the chrome pipes around the top of the doors, the rubber door seals and velvet on the inside lining of the doors for insulation, the paint quality of the black colour on top of the car in Ltd (O) are not upto the mark honestly. I may be feeling this way as all other cars I have are German and their interiors/paint quality is top notch. Whatever the case, I dont want to confuse you on your decision, just trying to give you my initial 3 week ownership feeling about the car. There is only so much that you can review about a car by reading online and doing some test rides or showroom visits.
Jainudit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 15:21   #299

Quote:
Congratulations! Could you negotiate any freebies/ discounts? As others have pointed out - do negotiate hard on the insurance especially. Are you considering the Ceramic Coating?
I have gone for the Red. I didn’t like the drive quality of Fortuner. I have always felt that Pajero Sport was better than the Fortuner. I had one for 7+ years and sold it last year.

I got approx 96k discount on insurance and mud flaps and carpet after about a week of bargaining.

Am still thinking about Ceramic coating. Had done on my BMW 320d and it was worth it.

Quote:
the paint quality of the black colour on top of the car in Ltd (O) are not upto the mark honestly. I may be feeling this way as all other cars I have are German and their interiors/paint quality is top notch.
I too noticed that the paint quality is not all that great on the Meridian. I thought maybe only I had that view.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 10th August 2022 at 17:07. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts.
gulmohars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 18:18   #300

Woot! Finally I'm the proud owner of my Meridian Velvet Red FWD Limited(O) AT. So far the process from Jeep PPS HSR Layout in Bangalore was pretty good.

Minor things were that my one rear fog light is not working, they'll fix that.

In the meantime I also went on a road trip in an XUV 700 top end model, so I have a solid point of comparison.

Initial impressions are that the XUV 700 has *far* too many features to even compare, e.g ADAS, air purifier, all ventilated seats, etc etc.

And yet ... the ride quality in the Meridian, the smoothness is definitely premium. The suspension in XUV 700 is good but Meridian seems to be a different level. I miss the auto activation of side cameras when you flash the indicator, seems like a basic feature which can be fixed by a software update.

Let's see how far I go!
shansense is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed