Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2022, 07:50   #181

Re: Honda City Hybrid Review

The 2 major cons as of now are the price and the boot space.

For the additional price we can console ourselves saying - at least we are not pushing unburnt soot onto the environment and are maximising the carbon.

For the boot space, can we put a luggage roof top carrier for the long trips?

The current Honda City owners having roof top carriers - does it affect the stability of the car?
Old 9th May 2022, 16:40   #182
BHPian

Interesting car but disappointing pricing. ~25L OTR Bangalore, I don't think it justifies this price just for a Japanese Brand Tag. I know logically they needed to put it between NA engines and EV but then they should have gone with more features.

Point of query: The intro article mentioned that car start and stop speeds are more less battery based/dependent. So what happens if i dont run my car for a month. As we do not have plug in modes, do we need external battery kick start, or IC engine does it for me.?
Old 10th May 2022, 12:30   #183
BHPian

Hi. This weekend had the opportunity to look at the Honda Hybrid. Unfortunately could get to drive it as there were many customers waiting before me. The shape and overall look of the car just wowed me.

However I was extremely disappointed when I sat in the car. The interior is so dated, touchscreen too small, the fit and finish not up to the mark, overall a flimsy build quality. As compared to this my Yaris felt opulent and well built.

The boot space too is small

Advisor said that the car is expected to give about 22-23 in city and about 26 on highway if driven sedately.

I don't think a premium of 5 lakhs over the ZX version is justified. Will wait for the lower versions of the car to be launched minus the ADAS features.
Old 11th May 2022, 12:45   #184
Senior - BHPian

Nitin Gadkari checks out Honda City e:HEV

Quote:
It was a proud moment for us at Honda Cars India Ltd, when Mr. Nitin Gadkari, Hon'ble Minister of Road Transport and Highways, Government of India, took time out of his busy schedule to meet our officials and check out the new Honda City e:HEV.
Honda City Hybrid Review-20220511_124315.jpg

Honda City Hybrid Review-20220511_124313.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 12:54   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
May he was sent by Tata Motors to check City e:HEV before they announce pricing of their Max Nexon EV
Wonder why would anyone buy the Hybrid City when you have an option to buy Nexon Max Lux at a lower price which will give you approx 350 KMs per charge in real life.
Old 11th May 2022, 13:11   #186
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post

Attachment 2306747

Attachment 2306746

Link
This is positive. I really hope the Govt. sees this and realizes real Hybrids are not like the smart/micro hybrid dished out by other makers and decides to offer the incentives similar to what EV's get.

A 5% GST would be perfect as well as reduced road tax is what will work in the Hybrid's favour.
Vid6639 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 14:46   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
This is positive. I really hope the Govt. sees this and realizes real Hybrids are not like the smart/micro hybrid dished out by other makers and decides to offer the incentives similar to what EV's get.

A 5% GST would be perfect as well as reduced road tax is what will work in the Hybrid's favour.
+100! The cheating by Maruti with the pseudo hybrids made the government take away all the tax benefits from Hybrids. If they bring up a fool proof law which incentivizes only the "real strong hybrids", that will be great for the automobile industry and Hybrid will really become the replacement for Diesels!

I hope this gets done for the sake of bringing down Urban pollution!
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 13:13   #188
BHPian

I booked Honda City e HEV on 9th at Chennai. I was told waiting period would be of two to three months. Yesterday on 11th, I was informed by the dealer that the car was allocated to me and shipping would be on 18th. Delivery would be within end of this month.

Just want to know What's the procedure for allotment?
vskesavan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 13:23   #189
BHPian

Quote:

Completely agree with this and very prudent step by Honda.

It's important for the goverment/policy makers to understand what is meant by actual Hybrid technology, how it works and the real benefits it brings about so that only genuine technologies get the incentive and not some pseudo-hybrids exploiting the loopholes like we have seen before.
ToThePoint is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 11:47   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
A fellow Bhpian has said that he has recovered 15 km/ltr in city - I have never recovered that in any of my City's, infact even the Brio AT does not give 15, it gives only 10-11 and 14 on the highway. My old City being manual gave me 9-11 in the city and 14-15 on the highway. If the eHEV gives 20 in the city and around the same on the highway then nothing can beat having the benefit of AT and good fuel efficiency.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bled_soul View Post
.... as the city mileage seems to be quite close to the highway mileage. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by vencat View Post
The 2 major cons as of now are the price and the boot space.

If buyers are ready to pay a significant premium for the eHEV only for the higher fuel efficiency aspect, they can as well look at the Diesel City which has been giving excellent mileage averaging 17-18kmpl within the city and atleast 20-22kmpl on highways (a mile muncher with good torque) very consistently since ages.

The city mileage is also very close to the highway mileage in the City Diesel plus you get the full boot as well.

Quote:
..The eHEV is even more refined and quieter than the petrol and the City's i-DTEC motor ....engine drone in the cabin.

Secondly the lack of an automatic in the Diesel means it's nowhere near as effortless inside town as the e:HEV.
Agree on the higher NVH part in the Diesel, but atleast in my case where I regularly drive Petrols and Diesels, I don't find the higher NVH in a Diesel bothersome at all and so would many who are used to driving diesels regularly. The higher NVH is just an intrinsic part of all Diesels and I love the clatter

Though the Diesel lacks an automatic, the ample low end torque and the almost non-existent turbo lag means very less gear changes and makes city driving effortless in the City Diesel too.

Another aspect is the longer term reliability, maintenance overheads of the eHEVs and robustness which are unknown factors at this stage. The Diesel City is extremely robust and tolerant based on long term experience.

I'm in noway trying to belittle the eHEV, these new technologies are the right way forward and these are welcome new changes.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 13th May 2022 at 12:16.
for_cars1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 11:51   #191
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
If buyers are ready to pay a premium for the eHEV only for the higher fuel efficiency aspect, they can as well look at the Diesel City which has been giving excellent mileage averaging 17-18kmpl within the city and atleast 20-22kmpl on highways very consistently.

The city mileage is also very close to the highway mileage in the Diesel plus you get the full boot as well.
True but the diesel really is not a match for the e:HEV. The first thing is the refinement. The e:HEV is even more refined and quieter than the petrol and the City's i-DTEC motor is at the bottom when it comes to NVH with constant diesel engine drone in the cabin.

Secondly the lack of an automatic in the Diesel means it's nowhere near as effortless inside town as the e:HEV.

Overall these 2 factors just weigh down the diesel and unless you are absolutely looking at numbers in terms of running costs and value, the diesel doesn't make sense.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 11:58   #192
BHPian

Quote:
True but the diesel really is not a match for the e:HEV. The first thing is the refinement. The e:HEV is even more refined and quieter than the petrol and the City's i-DTEC motor is at the bottom when it comes to NVH with constant diesel engine drone in the cabin.

Overall these 2 factors just weigh down the diesel and unless you are absolutely looking at numbers in terms of running costs and value, the diesel doesn't make sense.
1. Can the NVH be reduced by spending maximum Rs. 30K to get full car damped with a premium brand like Dr. Artex?
2. Yes, now I believe everyone is moving towards Automatic due to the bad roads and increasing traffic.

If someone who is looking for a manual or considering a sedan for chauffer driven, I still feel the City Diesel will make more sense than the Hybrid. You save upfront and also the running cost would be quite similar or even lower in a long term.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 12:15   #193
BHPian

This car is a proper new Tech Hybrid. It is not entirely justified to compare it with Diesel City. This car is like those Organic foods which cost much higher than the "regular" food products.

Diesel engines anyways does not suit executive sedan segment if you ask me. Louder ones ( like Honda Diesel or even VW ones we had earlier on Vento/Rapid) even more so. The Clatter of Diesel engines feels super cool on big, bulky cars like a Thar, or MUV/people movers. On Sedan, it's weird - proper 3 box design, clean lines, classy looks and that tractor like clatter
Nav-i-gator is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 12:56   #194
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
1. Can the NVH be reduced by spending maximum Rs. 30K to get full car damped with a premium brand like Dr. Artex?
30K for full car damping by stripping out the car (and adding more rattles in future in a brand new car) wont still be close to the hybrid NVH. Unless you add Sony noise cancelling headphones for 30K then you will get the NVH level of the Hybrid.

Quote:
If someone who is looking for a manual or considering a sedan for chauffer driven, I still feel the City Diesel will make more sense than the Hybrid. You save upfront and also the running cost would be quite similar or even lower in a long term.
The Hybrid City works for both. Self drive or chauffeur driven. Like I said if you go by pure numbers the Hybrid will not make sense. There is some intangibles when buying Hybrid which I mentioned few weeks back.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5309816 (Honda City Hybrid Review)

Last edited by Vid6639 : 13th May 2022 at 13:26.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 19:53   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
This car is a proper new Tech Hybrid. It is not entirely justified to compare it with Diesel City. This car is like those Organic foods which cost much higher than the "regular" food products.
Honda marketing should steal this statement - comparison with Organic food! Nicely put

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks