Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2023, 12:45   #376
BHPian

Re: Honda City Hybrid Review

Hello everyone, I got the eHev about 6 months ago. I'm loving it. The drive quality is one of the best. On highways you can either opt for super high mileage (~30km/h, sometimes a frustrating drive) or high speed and acceleration, or anything in between. I generally find that with a decent speed and acceleration and a quick full throttle overtake once in a while I am usually able to get a mileage of about 24km/h. And 22 when there's bad traffic and / I'm impatient. If you go at 160 or above it dips a lot, but that is to be expected. You don't get much hybrid benefits except a quick overtake at that speed. Drive quality wise, if you keep the revving low engine is pretty quiet when it's on. Amazing overtaking capabilities and manoeuvrability. To be honest, I'm not sure how it is with newer petrol only variant, but it's definitely far better than most cars I've tried, even older Citys.

I personally felt that the drive quality is much better than Gran Vitara hybrid. But if it's features you want, there are some that the Vitara has that City does not. The major one that I miss on the City is panoramic sunroof.

Also, wanted to add a little about the "B" drive mode. I didn't see it written anywhere I checked. Other than the car remembering the regen level (set using paddle shift) and not being able to use cruise control, there is one significant difference from regular drive mode -- If the battery level reaches full, which happens if you're going downhill like coming back from Ooty, the engine will turn off to brake. In drive mode, braking will only happen with normal brakes if battery is fully charged. So do remember to use "B" mode while going downhill especially if battery is nearing full.

Last edited by razeetg : 24th April 2023 at 12:47.
razeetg is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th June 2023, 16:08   #377
BHPian

Does that mean the engine does not run at all while going downhill and it uses no fuel like an EV? If not, what fuel economy did you get while going downhill from Ooty?
Old 12th June 2023, 00:14   #378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinrevvz View Post
Does that mean the engine does not run at all while going downhill and it uses no fuel like an EV? If not, what fuel economy did you get while going downhill from Ooty?
Engine "runs" if it's on B mode and battery is full, just for braking. However, it doesn't use much fuel. Till I reached downhill economy was 40. I drove a bit slowly (~80 to 110, but no crazy acceleration) on the way back, and managed to maintain an average of 31 till I reached Bangalore.

Also it's interesting to note that during this time, when there are short uphill stretches in between and you need to accelerate, the engine turns off and turns back on to brake when you leave the accelerator and use the brake / paddle shift to brake, reverse of what happens when you normally drive.

Last edited by ajmat : 13th June 2023 at 08:58.
razeetg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2023, 14:42   #379
src
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razeetg View Post
Hello everyone, I got the eHev about 6 months ago. I'm loving it. The drive quality is one of the best. On highways you can either opt for super high mileage (~30km/h, sometimes a frustrating drive) or high speed and acceleration, or anything in between. I generally find that with a decent speed and acceleration and a quick full throttle overtake once in a while I am usually able to get a mileage of about 24km/h. And 22 when there's bad traffic and / I'm impatient. If you go at 160 or above it dips a lot, but that is to be expected. You don't get much hybrid benefits except a quick overtake at that speed. Drive quality wise, if you keep the revving low engine is pretty quiet when it's on. Amazing overtaking capabilities and manoeuvrability. To be honest, I'm not sure how it is with newer petrol only variant, but it's definitely far better than most cars I've tried, even older Citys.
Have a basic question that is lingering on my mind for few days.
Currently I have the Petrol 5G ZX CVT City and completed 42k in 30 months.

During my travel to Kolkata in May'23 had covered 500 Kms in 6.5 Hours from Bangalore to Tangaturu Toll Plaza. Can I do this in Hybrid?
And in this case do I need to fuel up very often since at high speeds it runs on fuel.
Old 7th July 2023, 15:45   #380
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by src View Post

During my travel to Kolkata in May'23 had covered 500 Kms in 6.5 Hours from Bangalore to Tangaturu Toll Plaza. Can I do this in Hybrid?
And in this case do I need to fuel up very often since at high speeds it runs on fuel.
The hybrid is quicker than the petrol only car. It is more fuel efficient as well, and under every condition. Significantly more fuel efficient in city traffic, and slightly more efficient at sustained expressway speeds.
Old 7th July 2023, 16:58   #381
BHPian

Quote:

During and above the speeds at which it runs on engine only it runs on petrol only. And at this speed, it's just as efficient as the petrol variant. However, at some point you'll have to brake and accelerate and at those times they hybrid system will come to use. So for the portions you're going on very high speeds (140+), you may not see much difference from petrol only. However since you'll have to slow down at some point, it'll still give you a slightly better mileage than petrol only.
Old 7th July 2023, 17:13   #382
src
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
The hybrid is quicker than the petrol only car. It is more fuel efficient as well, and under every condition. Significantly more fuel efficient in city traffic, and slightly more efficient at sustained expressway speeds.
Yes Shreyans have driven the Hybrid in City traffic and it's definitely engaging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razeetg View Post
So for the portions you're going on very high speeds (140+), you may not see much difference from petrol only. However since you'll have to slow down at some point, it'll still give you a slightly better mileage than petrol only.
Yes agree RazeetG.

My query is rather for a 500 Kms drive (as the case I explained above) do I need to refuel more often?

When I got my City Hybrid was not launched and after the launch I also did not see VFM proposition vis a vis a Fuel City with 10 k annual usage.

But with my driving I can see a potential for Elevate Hybrid in case they launch
Old 7th July 2023, 17:56   #383
BHPian

Quote:
My query is rather for a 500 Kms drive (as the case I explained above) do I need to refuel more often?
What I meant is, at worst it consumes just as much fuel as the petrol variant so you'll have to fuel as much, never more, than the petrol variant. In practice, you could do a 500km drive without refueling even at somewhat high speeds averaging 80 to 100km. But how rapidly you accelerate and decelerate plays an important part.

Quote:
But with my driving I can see a potential for Elevate Hybrid in case they launch
Yes, definitely a car lot of people are waiting to see.

Last edited by razeetg : 7th July 2023 at 17:59.
razeetg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 23:42   #384
BHPian

Replaced my EV with a Hybrid!

Hello everyone! This would be my first post and hope you could excuse any nuisances. Request the mods to move it to the appropriate thread if necessary.

I’m delighted to announce that I just took delivery of my brand new 2023 Honda City ZX e:HEV in Obsidian Blue Pearl!

Honda City Hybrid Review-06171a83a23746689b9e6440a8a0481f.jpeg
Honda City Hybrid Review-14689f557dfc42bcbc818eef9f306e23.jpeg

To begin with, I must mention how I got here. In 2021 I replaced my aging F10 BMW 530d with 1.3L Kms with a more sensible, modern car, an MG ZS EV. I was so excited to get into electrification and this seemed like a great way to do so.

Honda City Hybrid Review-259411ae0972451691f58de7b4616a22.jpeg
Honda City Hybrid Review-bc2ee3d50e1341b8aaf84b81ad219769.jpeg

I absolutely enjoyed the instant torque and easy drivability within the city. The convenience of charging overnight for peanuts and not scraping over any of the massive speed bumps in Coimbatore was a godsend.

Honda City Hybrid Review-cc93f8de841d41019c71a1e5c992dcbe.jpeg

The charging infrastructure in south India is extremely good thanks to Zeon Chargers which are very reliable and conveniently placed across most highways. This made highway trips a breeze in theory. In reality however, we have way too many EVs in comparison to the number of chargers at each location making every 30 minute charging stop a 1 to 2 hour one waiting for the people before me to finish. This made long trips a time consuming affair.

Honda City Hybrid Review-88dbcc7728b1403dba7b1731a1e7fa51.jpeg

As I wanted to start exploring the country more and wishing to do a lot of long road trips, I started looking for a replacement. Hybrids seemed the logical choice as I didn’t want to miss out on my EV’s ease of use in the city with minimal NVH and instant torque. I also wanted to keep the running costs relatively minimal.

Honda City Hybrid Review-2466ffe366f24bd196514174f5777256.jpeg

I checked out the Grand Vitara/Hyryder and City e:HEV and fixated upon the latter for the much more premium feel, better refinement and better performance on offer. I had also been a sedan enthusiast all my life and a small part of me was always longing for a sedan again. I went ahead and booked the City e:HEV in December 2022. Honda however had no clue on the car’s delivery date and the dealers themselves were forcing us to purchase the Petrol CVT instead. This made me cancel my booking after a couple of months and continue the search.

Fast forward to June 2023, I had gotten a great offer for my ZS EV from a gentleman in Kerala. The car was exactly 2 years old and had completely 40K joyful kilometres. Since I got a really good resale value on my EV contrary to popular belief, I sold it for 20L (original otr price being 26L). This meant we needed a replacement immediately.

Honda City Hybrid Review-28d4ad65326c4e8d9e0d2e0baaa1321e.jpeg
Honda City Hybrid Review-cc3dee34e1104f0eac8996d8181cfbfd.jpeg

I wasn’t keen on the Grand Vitara or Hyryder. I loved the Innova Hycross but the dealers quoted a 1.5 to 2 year waiting period for the top spec version. Meanwhile, Honda had updated the City e:HEV with revised styling, updated infotainment system with better resolution and wireless CarPlay, wireless charger as well as updated ADAS with stop and go function for the adaptive cruise. To my surprise, the dealer had one unit of each the V and ZX variant in stock. I was prompt to book the top spec version and they registered and delivered the car the very next day after the payment was done. I was very satisfied with the buying experience this time around at Sundaram Honda, Coimbatore. The otr cost was 25L just before the proposed 5% tax hike was rumoured to kick in.

Honda City Hybrid Review-45178a9b11944c92ba3bb48a95a1bab5.jpeg
Honda City Hybrid Review-c11c48246d014e289b8d958737f5066e.jpeg

This car was love at first sight. I loved the sleek and timeless design with the plush ivory white leather interiors. Quality felt a notch above the ZS EV. It still had the silent low speed experience and instant torque of my EV. I was thrilled to finally be back in a sedan and brought back memories of the several Accords we had back in the day.

Honda City Hybrid Review-d9126952e83b4ea88ead1a76ae2a0343.jpeg
Honda City Hybrid Review-7ab9065be2a0491489e6f17608e6373e.jpeg

The car is still going through its break in period and I’m keen to share my first impressions after the first service.
Kevinrevvz is offline   (97) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 08:32   #385
BHPian

Re: Replaced my EV with a Hybrid!

Quote:
The car is still going through its break in period and I’m keen to share my first impressions after the first service.
Congratulations on the new car.

You have owned and experienced many sedans and SUV-EV in the past and now have moved on to the hybrid sedan.
Looking forward to your inputs on the ride, handling and NVH levels both in city and highways as you munch miles.
CArspeed is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 08:48   #386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArspeed View Post
Congratulations on the new car.

You have owned and experienced many sedans and SUV-EV in the past and now have moved on to the hybrid sedan.
Looking forward to your inputs on the ride, handling and NVH levels both in city and highways as you munch miles.
Thank you! First impressions, the ride quality is so much better and composed than my ZS EV which was a bit too soft and bouncy. The main reason I wanted a sedan again! However, no match to my older 7G Accord V6 and 8G Accord 2.4.

With regards to the handling, The steering is surprisingly heavy, feel-some and direct by modern standards, especially in comparison to the Virtus or Verna. It remains composed and well balanced through corners albeit there’s a bit of body roll.

NVH is very impressive in the city. It remains in EV mode 80% of the time and the electric motor is surprisingly more silent than my ZS EV! There’s no AC compressor noise in this which is prevalent in most EVs and Hybrids owing to the more modern and sophisticated AC tech used here. When the engine kicks in however, it’s a bit more loud than the butter smooth 1.5 iVTEC but nothing to write home about. There’s no rubber-band effect here as it always uses the electric motor to drive with the engine just charging the battery (except when cruising at 80-100 Kmph).

NVH in the highway however, there’s a bit more road and wind noise than I’d like. They have visibly skimped out on insulation in the wheel wells.

I’ll update my overall experience in the first ownership report.
Kevinrevvz is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 08:52   #387
BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone! This would be my first post and hope you could excuse any nuisances. Request the mods to move it to the appropriate thread if necessary.

I’m delighted to announce that I just took delivery of my brand new 2023 Honda City ZX e:HEV in Obsidian Blue Pearl!

Congratulations on your new ride!! Wishing you many more miles. Thinking to replace my Baleno by next year and I'm keen on replacing it with a Hybrid. I know there is still time, but I have started the car search and may pounce on an opportunity if good offers run. Rejected Toyota Hyryder and Grand Vitara due to poor packaging of space, big on the outside but honestly interior space is not even equal to what we have in Baleno. Toyota Hycross will be way too big to drive around in the City. So City seems to me the most sensible choice even more after the recent updates. Keep on sharing the overall ownership experience and how is the fuel efficiency within the city and on the highway.
Highh5 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 11:20   #388
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations. Very interesting to see your journey from 530d to EV to Hybrid. If you were to do this again, would you keep 530D for highway trips and EV limited to city use?

Hybrid is definitely the way to go for someone wanting to use a single car for both city and highways. Like you said, once you experience electric/hybrid in slow city traffic, hard to go back to ICE cars.
androdev is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 12:41   #389

Congratulations !

I also recently purchased City ZX CVT (Petrol). Let me inform you noise insulation certainly not the best than the cars which you have already experienced.

At this moment, I am just enjoyed new ride. But certainly I am searching how to install noise dampen sheets? whether it has any impact on warranty?
parag_bandkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 13:55   #390
BHPian

Quote:

Wow! The obsidian blue colour is fantastic. Congratulations on your new car. I’m in the market for a new car and this is one of my considerations. The biggest drawback I felt was the boot space. What is your opinion on the same?

Cheers!
true_sedan is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks