Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2022, 10:59   #76
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda City Hybrid Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123.rishabh View Post
As far as i have read, the Honda Sensing system in the City Hybrid only has a Front Camera for all the ADAS features and there is no radar module present.
Thanks. That was a typo and indeed it is only camera based and not radar based. We checked this with Honda during the drive as well specifically. Have edited it as well.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 11:58   #77
BHPian

Today is supposed to be the launch day of City Hybrid, right? I don’t see any information flowing. Any idea where I can track it?
Old 4th May 2022, 12:06   #78

Honda City eHEV has been launched at 19.49L ex-showroom.

Name:  Picture1.png
Views: 1590
Size:  111.9 KB
SirJeepsALot is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 12:09   #79
BHPian

I am seeing the ex-showroom price for the eHEV model in Honda Cars India Website. Not sure if it is officially announced.

https://https://www.hondacarindia.co...rice-bengaluru
Attached Thumbnails
Honda City Hybrid Review-cityehev.png  

alenp07 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 12:18   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenp07 View Post
I am seeing the ex-showroom price for the eHEV model in Honda Cars India Website. Not sure if it is officially announced.

It is right. Deliveries will begin immediately.

Quote:
Honda City e:HEV hybrid has been revealed at last - launched at Rs 19,49,900. In comparison, the standard City ZX CVT is priced at Rs 15.03 lakh (ex-showroom)

Honda City Hybrid Review-1.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 4th May 2022 at 12:21.
volkman10 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 12:24   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenp07 View Post

Checked the same and it seems that it's PAN India ex-showroom price.
So now in Pune Honda City Hybrid will cost around Rs. 23.5 lakhs OTR.
This is around Rs. 5 Lakh more than top end City Diesel VX and Rs. 5.5 lakh more than City Petrol VX CVT.

To be honest I can't digest this price and may be many others won't too.
Wishing Honda a Very Best Luck.
DriveOnceMore is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 12:27   #82
RYP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosanova View Post
if we make the Petrol mileage 11kmpl, the kilometres to recoup drops down to near 1,00,000 kms actually.
Petrol price in few states are at 120-122 right now, so this will skew the nos. further in favour of the Hybrid and then there is only one direction where the prices are headed. I wouldn't be surprised if we are paying around the 160-170 ballpark in another 5 years. If my rough math is right, all factors combined one can recoup the additional upfront costs at 75k-80k kms, which is pretty decent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The Hybrid EV also has ADAS which adds further additional cost delta over the petrol. It's not fair that factor that in the running cost of the Hybrid as you are getting that extra safety net.

Hybrid system is more complex but is also more gentle on few components like brake pads and the IC engine itself since it is not on all the time.

I also have a Corolla Altis and if I had a use case for a daily running fuel efficient car, I would seriously consider a City Hybrid over my Corolla Altis that gets me 8-9kmpl in traffic.

For someone looking at City Hybrid they might be looking at the Korean SUV twins. Both have turbo petrol engines which give single digit FE in town.

Honda just needs to seriously get the pricing right. Anything more than the Slavia 1.5L and they are going to have a tough time justifying the Hybrid over a 1.5L TSI and DSG box. The Hybrid with simpler NA engine and electric battery and motor ideally should cost same as a complex turbo petrol + even more complex DSG box.
Spot-on analysis! Couldn't agree more. ADAS is a neat add-on to complement the hybrid prowess and my wife L-O-V-E-S it, for her safety is of utmost priority and my opinion is that the small nudges here and there although enthusiasts hate it, it makes one a better driver overall. Single digit FE is a pain to see, where the City hybrid slots in perfectly. By going over the reviews on YouTube and many websites, its clear that 20kmpl is a given even when ripped and that would mean an easy 23-25 kmpl for a sedate footer.

I highly doubt that one who wants a VAG with DSG will be interested in a Hybrid Honda. The priorities are poles apart for both these cars. For the pricing part, Honda has completely done away with the transmission unit, which would have paid for the battery and the extra is just the two motors which I believe would result in sane pricing.

*Edit after price reveal*

19.5L ex would be 24L OTR apprx. Bit on the higher side but within the expected ballpark. For a 5.5L delta over the ZX CVT, the above math will still hold true

Last edited by RYP : 4th May 2022 at 12:38.
RYP is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 12:29   #83

At a Rs.4.5L premium over the regular ZX, this is a DOA product. I was seriously considering this if only it had a premium of 2 - 2.5L. Even at Rs. 150 petrol price, regular ZX makes more financial sense.
Not interested anymore Honda.
StrikerK is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 12:52   #84
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Brings back memories of the overpriced Civic Hybrid which bombed. IMHO, Honda's real mistake is not launching the City Hybrid in a lower variant without the ADAS features. I presume that would knock 2-lakhs off the price and make the 3-lakh rupee difference more palatable. At 5.xx lakhs over the regular City (which by itself is expensive), it's too much money for the FE & green image. For lower running costs, being environmentally-conscious & a proper green number plate, I could save a couple of lakhs and get the Nexon EV, or spend a few lakhs more and get the MG ZS EV Excite variant @ 22 lakhs ex-showroom.

The real mistake here is making ADAS & the resultant price tag compulsory. I frankly don't care about ADAS (used it in the mighty S-Class too), neither do Vid6639, Ajmat & a whole host of customers. Why force me to pay for a pricey feature that is 75% useless on Indian roads? When will Honda learn to launch at attention-grabbing prices; the Accord Hybrid, CR-V, Mobilio all disappeared because of wrong pricing.

Last edited by GTO : 4th May 2022 at 12:53.
GTO is offline   (110) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 12:52   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
It is right. Deliveries will begin immediately.
19.5 Lakhs vis-a-vis 15.07 lakhs ( 4.43 lakhs INR premium ) is not bad pricing at all considering the added goodies like ADAS and Electronic parking brakes. But, the real problem for me is the fact that I lose boot space in the bargain. Jazz has a better and more usable boot space than the City Hybrid which is a pity since this is a solved problems for Hybrids by placing the batteries underneath the rear seats. Not sure, why Honda couldn't manage that on the City. Any layman who sees that boot space will stay away from it.

The City Hybrid will turn out to be a niche thing for folks who are passionate about hybrid tech rather than a typical Honda City buyer who looks at it as a family car.

I'm guessing that the premium for Hybrid vs Petrol is around 3 lakhs INR ( if we take out the ADAS and electronic parking brake expenses ) which is quite reasonable especially for folks who will have high running. For me the reason why I would think of a Hybrid are
  • The smoothest drive you can ever think of ( except for EVs ) and at the same time not having the range anxiety problem.
  • The feeling of not adding to the pollution in crawling traffic in a city.
  • The fact that the AC is not powered by the engine and hence the compressor turning on and off might become a thing of the past. It might even have an inverter compressor since it's driven by electricity rather than the engine.
  • Lack of low end torque of a Petrol motor is compensated by the super torquey electric motor!
  • And inspite of all of the above advantages, return of investment with around 1 - 1.5 lakh kms on the odo.
  • - Lesser brake pad replacements thanks to regen braking and possible higher durability of engine thanks to lack of idling.

Lithium ion batteries will be a costly affair to replace. But, I am hoping that it will outlast the car provided the filter for air intake to the battery compartment is maintained well. And the battery costs as such might come down as the technology matures.

Last edited by amalji : 4th May 2022 at 12:57.
amalji is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 12:54   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
Checked the same and it seems that it's PAN India ex-showroom price.
So now in Pune Honda City Hybrid will cost around Rs. 23.5 lakhs OTR.
This is around Rs. 5 Lakh more than top end City Diesel VX and Rs. 5.5 lakh more than City Petrol VX CVT.

To be honest I can't digest this price and may be many others won't too.
Wishing Honda a Very Best Luck.
In Bangalore it will be another 75k more which will be roughly between 24 to 25 Lakhs OTR . I don't see a point in getting City Hybrid which demands an additional premium of R.s 5 Lakh than the regular ZX CVT since my mileage is limited. Along with it the lack of boot space is another bummer.

This was the second car which I was really interested after Kushaq and both of them gave me shock with the pricing.
alenp07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 12:55   #87
Senior - BHPian

Hmm, don’t know what to comment about the pricing. When you compare with normal City it commands a higher premium. But then they haven’t priced it un-realistically too. Depends on the customer what they want - cost saving cannot be a only reason for this purchase as with the price difference it’s difficult to reap the benefits. Somebody who wants new technology, ADAS etc. will go for this.

Well for enthusiasts still the option is Slavia (or upcoming Virtus) and it’s infact cheaper than City hybrid by a lakh too.
Old 4th May 2022, 12:59   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosanova View Post
Time for some maths I suppose? Forgive any mistakes,
this is quite off the cuff with quick google-fu.

feel free to correct my efficiency or price calculations.

City Petrol Price ~ 15,00,000
Efficiency ~ 15km/ltr

Cost of Petrol - 110 Rs/ltr

City Hybrid Price ~20,00,000
Efficiency ~ 23 km/ltr

l.
I don't think HC gives 15 kpl in city. If I am correct it should be an average 10-11 kpl in a city like Mumbai. Honda owners please comment.

If so, mathematic changes drastically.

I sure hope Honda launches this tech across V and VX variant. This will help make the tech more accessible and volumes will help them achieve the profit numbers.
Palio_2005 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 12:59   #89
Team-BHP Support

Sigh. I knew this was coming. I had the feeling that Honda had a sub 20L ex showroom in mind and would just slip in under 20L.

The on road price in Bangalore will be 24.5L and Mumbai would be 23.2L.

Steep pricing for sure but expected. I was hoping against hope that the price would be below 19 which would keep it really close to the Slavia 1.5TSI + DSG.

It's 1L more than what it should be.

Also, we both asked Honda why not launch a model without ADAS. The Hybrid is a perfect city commuter but most of the ADAS tech works only on highways above 72km/hr except for collision mitigation braking system. 1.5L - 2L lesser price tag without ADAS would have hit the sweet spot. Unfortunately looks like they wanted to showcase a single top end model with ADAS and not water down the hybrid with same feature set as regular car. It gives them something to talk about other than the hybrid efficiency.
Vid6639 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 13:03   #90
BHPian

I don’t think anything can justify that price. Not many are going to spend close to 23 lakhs and not get ventilated seats and a proper slick infotainment. The boot space is also less. Atrocious pricing.
Bimmer_Sage is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks