Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2022, 19:18   #31
BHPian

Re: Honda City Hybrid Review

Probably a stupid question and a little too late but why did they not use a Diesel engine instead of Petrol in there? That would have resulted in a fuel economy comparable to motorcycles but with Diesel

Last edited by bordeaux : 2nd May 2022 at 19:26.
bordeaux is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 19:20   #32

Source: Gaadiwaadi

Mileage test of Honda City e:HEV
It is giving 24.8km/l on Highways and 22.2km/l in city conditions which looks pretty good for a car of this size.

Overall it looks like a good product from Honda with the all the Hybrid tech and ADAS features. The only negatives I see are smaller boot and dated head unit.
I just hope Honda doesn't get too greedy with the pricing and prices it well.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 2nd May 2022 at 20:48. Reason: Fixed links
MrEnthusiast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 19:24   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordeaux View Post
Probably a stupid question and a little too late but why did they not use a Diesel engine instead of Petrol in there? That would have resulted in a fuel economy compared to motorcycles but with Diesel
  1. It is not worth the cost
  2. Diesels need to be warmed up to be efficient
  3. Such applications will clog up the EGR
  4. Diesel emissions at low speeds would nullify all the benefits
  5. Why would you need a diesel when the electric version provides more torque

Saying that Mercedes did produce a plug in diesel hybrid. Am guessing that this was more compliance to tax benefits etc.

Last edited by ajmat : 2nd May 2022 at 19:36.
ajmat is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 20:08   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
  1. It is not worth the cost
  2. Diesels need to be warmed up to be efficient
  3. Such applications will clog up the EGR
  4. Diesel emissions at low speeds would nullify all the benefits
  5. Why would you need a diesel when the electric version provides more torque

Saying that Mercedes did produce a plug in diesel hybrid. Am guessing that this was more compliance to tax benefits etc.
Add to that diesels will need a DPF+SCR with urea from next year. Which increases the Hybrid's complexity even further and makes it pointless.
Vid6639 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 21:02   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
I read the battery pack size is 0.78kwh, which is almost 1/4th on the Ather scooter.
The battery size is abysmally small. My 2004 Toyota Prius had a 1.43KWh battery. This tiny battery means the vehicle would be able to drive less than 1 to 2 kms on EV mode under ideal conditions. Remember, the hybrid battery gets charged and discharged hundreds of times during each trip. So it is normally programmed to be used in a very narrow SOC band like between 40 to 70% only. So we are talking about 0.3KWh capacity which would make even 1 km distance beyond its capacity. Of course it is not really meant to be driven as an EV. The battery is just to help move it from stop and to have the ability to keep the engine off at stop lights and when you take your foot off the accelerator.
Nevertheless, a great vehicle. I especially love the ADAS on it. This would be at the top of my list if I were looking to purchase a vehicle today.
Lobogris is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 22:05   #36
BHPian

I don't know about the others, but to me the battery placement seems wasteful. Wouldn't it make more sense to create some specific space on either side of the spare wheel, maybe even use some space freed up by using a smaller fuel tank?
Ravi Parwan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 22:05   #37
Senior - BHPian

What's the pure electric range of this car? Is that even a proper question or as @Lobogris said, battery is only to get the car moving.

Also my understanding from the Ads and other reviews is different.This is completely different from what the reviewers and other forum members have commented. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Pure EV mode in the city at speeds less than 40 kmh, where battery runs the traction motor.

Honda City Hybrid Review-screenshot-20220502-9.58.55-pm.png

Pure hybrid mode where the engine powers the generator to charge the battery. Battery runs the traction motor. The clutch is engaged.

Honda City Hybrid Review-screenshot-20220502-9.59.13-pm.png

Combined mode. Above 120 kmh. The engine running at optimum RPM is directly running the wheels with minimum assist from the battery. the generator is not charging the battery. Only brake regeneration charges the battery. The clutch is disengaged.

Honda City Hybrid Review-screenshot-20220502-9.59.32-pm.png

Last edited by wildsdi5530 : 2nd May 2022 at 22:06. Reason: wrong pics
wildsdi5530 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 22:25   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
What's the pure electric range of this car? Is that even a proper question or as @Lobogris said, battery is only to get the car moving.
Yes, as Lobogris explained the battery is so small, it cannot be used more than 1km without the engine running.

In hybrid mode, the battery does not power the motor, the engine via the generator powers the motor, the clutch is disengaged.

What is combined mode? Only 3 modes, switching happens seamlessly based on speed, battery charge.

The important screenshot is here:
Honda City Hybrid Review-screenshot_20220502221409_youtube.jpg

Last edited by SKC-auto : 2nd May 2022 at 22:29.
SKC-auto is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 08:07   #39
BANNED

Real world test gives an FE of 23.9 kmpl! Such an astounding figure! Who needs an EV or diesel, then!?

Source: https://gaadiwaadi.com/honda-city-eh...est-video/amp/
romeomidhun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 08:13   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
No offence, but what’s relevant for you might be irrelevant for others and vice versa. Some might ask what is the fixation on mil
In that case buy a car which is meant for that purpose. A Hybrid's only purpose is fuel efficiency.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 3rd May 2022 at 09:40. Reason: spell mistake
Old 3rd May 2022, 08:17   #41
BHPian

Thanks for the excellent review. I think the technology, of seamless integration of ICE and batteries, is impressive. Probably this is an indication of what future tech will look like, with an ICE only to charge the batteries, with the option to use a charger from the Petrol Stations to save fossil fuel even further. I have a couple of questions on this vehicle

1. Is there a way of knowing if the petrol tank requires refilling?
2. On foggy or days when it is pouring heavily, will the ADAS camera work (effectively)?
Old 3rd May 2022, 08:48   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Add to that diesels will need a DPF+SCR with urea from next year.
Sorry can you elaborate on that please? What happens to diesel cars purchased in 2022?
Old 3rd May 2022, 09:07   #43
BHPian

A very good review, and a very important car, not only for Honda but for India too! In the past few years, all the excitement in the Indian auto industry has been from Korean or Indian players. If priced right it can really turn tables back on to the Japanese

Honda's hybrid tech is great, and so is Toyota/Suzuki's and this tech plays right on to one of the key strengths of Japanese brands- fuel efficiency. Overdrive claims a real life efficiency of ~20 kmpl for the Honday City hybrid, which quite frankly, is awesome.

Uptill now we have seen this only in 60 lakh+ Lexus models. Hope to see this hybrid tech to be distributed across more segments, economy of scale will make them cheaper too. Some ramifications-

1. Does this also spell the end of the smaller capacity diesel engines as we know them?

2. The hybrid City will effectively occupy the space that the Civic left for Honda. What happens to the C segment sedans? Not many left there though.

3. Will a hybrid sedan bring back buyers to the sedan segment from SUVs?

4. The new first owner sell off date would be age of battery warranty i guess now- 8 years for this one?

5. Hope NGT relaxes the 15 year rule for petrols now! 20 years should be given for sure.

6. Strong hybrids require no additional infra, and no range anxiety too. So will hybrid tech push back pure EV development?
achyutaghosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 09:14   #44
Senior - BHPian

If priced well, this is a desirable machine for all those who have a sedate driving style.

This sounds like the perfect car for high mileage city users. It'll be quiet and fuel efficient as long as you have a light foot.

While many would argue that diesel will be more cost effective when considering the price, I'd stick out my head and say that the refinement, silence and the more sorted ride would be well worth it although such a market is too small to consider for Honda to price it to the moon.

These kind of hybrids, if priced well along with cheaper options below 10 lakhs, round be a boon for taxi drivers in terms of fuel consumption and reduced fatigue thanks to the auto transmission and refinement.
Turbohead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 09:29   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
These kind of hybrids, if priced well along with cheaper options below 10 lakhs, round be a boon for taxi drivers in terms of fuel consumption and reduced fatigue thanks to the auto transmission and refinement.
I totally agree. This would be a much better (tad safer?) option than say, a CNG-provided the cost is reasonable. Another good user profile is fleet sales for executive commute across the city or short inter-city needs.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks