Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2022, 13:05   #91
BHPian

Re: Honda City Hybrid Review

I think Skoda/Vw just breathed a sigh of relief. I can bet some buyers on the fence between the VW twins and the Hybrid city will move forward with their purchases for the former.
sid3091 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 13:05   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
I sure hope Honda launches this tech across V and VX variant. This will help make the tech more accessible and volumes will help them achieve the profit numbers.
+100!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Also, we both asked Honda why not launch a model without ADAS. The Hybrid is a perfect city commuter
This is a huge miss from Honda!

Quote:
but most of the ADAS tech works only on highways above 72km/hr except for collision mitigation braking system.
And on the models with ADAS, they should have given the Adaptive cruise control with low speed crawl as well considering that city crawling traffic is the forte of these Hybrids. Adaptive cruise control with low speed follow/crawl would have been such a boon for this kind of a vehicle.

Last edited by amalji : 4th May 2022 at 13:15.
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 13:05   #93
BHPian

Let's not compare it with a ZX but with something that offers the ADAS features or in a similar price segment.

I am in the lookout for a Harrier or the XUV 700 A5, out of which, both don't provide the ADAS features.

Price wise Harrier is ~2 lakh costlier (ex-showroom) and XUV700 around the same.

You get Diesel, higher ground clearance but a lesser mileage in the XUV and Harrier. The higher fuel cost on the Honda is compensated due to the Hybrid setup, with almost double the mileage.

What you gain in the Honda is a set of features not available on th Harrier and only in the L pack of XUV which is atleast 5-6 lakhs more.

The smooth and silent engine will definitely make one smile. The pricing is surely atleast higher by a couple of lakhs.

Atleast I see it from that perspective and therefore becomes a contender for me.

What changes internally is that if I were to go for the City Hybrid, then we keep the 5 year old Brezza and sell the 3 year old Tiago, whereas in case of XUV or Harrier, it was the Brezza that had to go. More so from the point that wife cannot drive the bigger SUVs.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 13:09   #94

I have a manual ZX 5th Gen City and get around 14-15kmpl easily in the city and above 17 in the highway. However the price of the hybrid is higher than my expectations for sure and if someone is looking at saving money then CVT makes more sense.
SolitaryRabbit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 13:12   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Sigh. I knew this was coming. I had the feeling that Honda had a sub 20L ex showroom in mind and would just slip in under 20L.

The on road price in Bangalore will be 24.5L and Mumbai would be 23.2L.

Steep pricing for sure but expected. I was hoping against hope that the price would be below 19 which would keep it really close to the Slavia 1.5TSI + DSG.

It's 1L more than what it should be.

Also, we both asked Honda why not launch a model without ADAS. The Hybrid is a perfect city commuter but most of the ADAS tech works only on highways above 72km/hr except for collision mitigation braking system. 1.5L - 2L lesser price tag without ADAS would have hit the sweet spot. Unfortunately looks like they wanted to showcase a single top end model with ADAS and not water down the hybrid with same feature set as regular car. It gives them something to talk about other than the hybrid efficiency.
Really hoping that Honda will do the same to Hybrid technology what Mahindra did to ADAS. Considering this, I wish this launch rakes in good volumes so that other OEs can get their hybrid tech into SUVs. Keeping fingers crossed for launch of Hybrid Tucson in the short term.
Old 4th May 2022, 13:15   #96
BHPian

One showroom mentioned that they already have bookings of approx 50 hybrids and waiting period is 3-4 months. Not sure how true this could be.

Also, comparing this with ZX would not be a fair comparison. Lets compare this with existing cars that have the ADAS in them for example the XUV 700. For people who dont want the bulky SUVs and would prefer the ADAS for additional safety features this seems to be a perfect fit plus the added bonus of the Hybrid in city driving.
Dieseltuned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 13:16   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolitaryRabbit View Post
I have a manual ZX 5th Gen City and get around 14-15kmpl easily in the city .
With these mileage figures the hybrid is DOA. It's a feel good product which will fetch in low numbers and will have to be either offered in the VX or ZX trim or then scrapped.

I am waiting for the Toyota/Suzuki hybrid which should be launched next year. I hope they are more sensible in pricing.
Palio_2005 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 13:28   #98
BHPian

Its very nice to see Honda upping the game with Hybrid. Hope the other manufacturers will follow. All that said and done, that one thing preventing me from buying a Honda is their step motherly treatment towards the Indian customers. 4 star NCAP rating for a 20 Lakh car is a rip off to be honest. Although they are better than brands like Hyundai/Kia, as it’s a Honda we were expecting better ethics here which we cannot expect from the later. Hope they do something about it soon.
Old 4th May 2022, 13:29   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
Let's not compare it with a ZX but with something that offers the ADAS features or in a similar price segment.
This is a very valid argument. Now, let's see the prices of ADAS powered automatic cars at this price point in the increasing order of ex-showroom price.

MG Astor Savvy Petrol CVT - 16.13L
MG Astor Savvy Petrol Turbo AT - 17.73L
Honda city Hybrid - 19.49L
Mahindra XUV700 AX7 Petrol (7 seater) - 20.95L
Mahindra XUV700 AX7 Diesel (7 seater) - 21.58L

So, it seems the City Hybrid sits somewhere in the middle with the advantage of FE and ADAS falling short on boot space. People who can stretch more can go for XUV700. People who are on a budget can compromise on FE and settle on the Astor and the rest in the middle-path can go for the City Hybrid.
skarthiksr is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 13:55   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
IMHO, Honda's real mistake is not launching the City Hybrid in a lower variant without the ADAS features.
Couldn't agree more on this. Also, one very important feature which the City misses out on are the cooling seats. It is such a boon that in my opinion all cars above say 10 lakh should have it as a standard feature. I would be okay missing out on ADAS features, even a sunroof for that matter but if Honda expects me to shell out ~23 lakhs on road in Mumbai for the eHEV than I would have very much expected them to have the front seats ventilation.
rahil_29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 13:55   #101
BHPian

Quick back of the envelop calculations:

Honda City Hybrid Review-honda-city-consumption.jpg

Here is a quick sheet to input the desired values as per your likings to find the number of years to breakeven:

Honda City Consumption.xlsx

Name:  Honda City Calculator.jpg
Views: 1194
Size:  58.4 KB

PS: I have not considered the interest paid for the premium amount which will be added to the loan amount and neither have I considered the cost of opportunity that the premium amount would earn if invested otherwise.
dr.delete is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 14:04   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
One showroom mentioned that they already have bookings of approx 50 hybrids and waiting period is 3-4 months. Not sure how true this could be.
I booked the 5th Gen City Diesel ZX in October 2021, got delivery in February 2022.

At the media drive, Honda officials did mention that waiting period is around 6 months for the e:HEV.

Most definitely they are producing fewer units of this City e:HEV. They might not want to get rid of the inventory later with huge discounts.

So, not surprised with waiting period for the hybrid.
parrys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 14:04   #103
BANNED

With an OTR price difference of about 5L, Honda lost a an opportunity of making a blockbuster product.

As can be seen in the below table, one will save about 25K per year on a Hybrid City. Add to this, an annual service cost saving of about 5K. So a 30K saving per year is too low IMO. You will require about 15 years to recover this cost.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda City Hybrid Review-city-costs.png  

CR07 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 14:10   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post

What you gain in the Honda is a set of features not available on th Harrier and only in the L pack of XUV which is atleast 5-6 lakhs more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post

Also, comparing this with ZX would not be a fair comparison. Lets compare this with existing cars that have the ADAS in them for example the XUV 700.
I dont think comparing City pricing with XUV 700 is fair just because of ADAS features. XUV 700 is clearly a segment above, much spacious and has much better performance.
sunikkat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 14:21   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.delete View Post
PS: I have not considered the interest paid for the premium amount which will be added to the loan amount and neither have I considered the cost of opportunity that the premium amount would earn if invested otherwise.
I think this will get offset by the increasing fuel prices with time.

And the other factor is that the real price difference could be 3 lakhs INR for Petrol vs Hybrid. The inflated 5 lakhs is because Honda did not provide a non ADAS Hybrid option yet.

With the 40% difference in premium ( 5L --> 3L ), the actual breakeven period should be even faster. I'm not just thinking from City's perspective. But, from the perspective of any future strong Hybrids that are going to come to our market from the likes of Toyota, Honda, Lexus, Nissan, Maruti and Hyundai

Last edited by amalji : 4th May 2022 at 14:24.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed