Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2022, 13:07   #301
BHPian

Re: Honda City Hybrid Review

I have just done a test drive of Honda City Hybrid. Vehicle was from Sundaram Honda, Hyderabad. Pricing is 25ish - 6 lakhs higher than regular ICE ZX CVT. Financials don't make a sense for regular users but experience and ADAS matters.

Except for the engine revving with no actual output when revved hard, rest all were good. Boot is also decent, not as bad as the numbers look. The reverse camera, lane watch camera and music system's display seems two generations old.
vinaydatla is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 16:46   #302
Senior - BHPian

Making of the Honda City Hybrid at Tapukara plant.

Honda City Hybrid Review-screenshot_20220825164709_youtube.jpg

Honda City Hybrid Review-screenshot_20220825164735_youtube.jpg

Honda City Hybrid Review-screenshot_20220825164822_youtube.jpg

Honda City Hybrid Review-screenshot_20220825164916_youtube.jpg

Honda City Hybrid Review-screenshot_20220825165025_youtube.jpg

Last edited by Venkatesh : 25th August 2022 at 16:51.
Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 23:33   #303
BHPian

Hi. Has the Honda Hybrid not made its mark. Dont see many ownership reviews. I think people prefer the diesel to the hybrid. I still think Honda should have made the tech available across the range and not only top end
Palio_2005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 20:52   #304
BHPian

I would love to buy the Honda in a heartbeat. The following however worries me a lot:

1. Honda's future in India

2. The O&M costs of a hybrid car and the battery pack etc. As much as the Japanese provide bullet proof reliability, the hybrid tech is still dodgy for a number of reasons.

I'm still undecided on leaning towards a full EV for now, until something really earth shattering happens!
landmaster18 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 12:28   #305
BHPian

For those waiting for the Silver colour, it seems finally the production has started. Got a call from the dealer about availability of silver in case I wanted to go ahead and buy. But because of some other priorities, I couldnt.

Hopefully the red colour production will also start soon.
Mumbaiker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 14:56   #306

Honda City eHev Test Drive

I currently drive a 2009 pre-owned Civic and in need for an upgrade very soon. The replacement has to be automatic with cruise control plus adequate safety features like 6 air bags, Disk brakes on all 4 tyres, ABS, EBD, ESP, Traction control, Hill Hold, Engine Immobilizer etc. EV is not an option as I park on the road and no dedicated space for a wall charger. Hence considered Hybrid as an option.

I took a test drive of the Honda City e:Hev today. I will not go into the Pro’s and Con’s and the misses that should have been there for a car at this price range. It has already been covered at length on this forum. I can’t help re-iterate my gripe for the lack of factory fitted tinted glasses - big minus in my view.

This car handled much like a 5th Gen City. Speed and Pick up was comparable to my Civic. I took the car for a long test drive. On the stretch that I get 7 – 7.5 on the Civic it showed 17 on the Midi. On the stretch that I get 11.5-12 on the Civic (Dadar to Vikhroli) I got 24.9. This is pretty impressive as I was not holding back and driving with a heavy foot in normal mode – not Eco.
Honda City Hybrid Review-midi-1.jpeg

I then re-set the Midi and got on the Freeway from Govandi to downtown. Revved the car to 70 on the climb up the hill, Midi showed 17. By the time I got off the expressway at Wadala it was at 21. Then there was the usual crawl under the expressway and near Antop Hill till I reached home at Dadar East. Net result 24.
Honda City Hybrid Review-midi-2.jpeg

On the Wadala hill slope I stopped on the incline. My Civic would hold and stay still. This one creeped forward very slowly. The creep function is quite strong.
The left side camera was a pretty good feature. The collision avoidance system did sound an alarm when a pedestrian came too close. Can’t test if it comes to a halt in real life conditions. Could not test adaptive cruise control but the usual one worked fine.
We have some pretty horrendous speed breakers or more correctly axle breakers in my neighbourhood. I usually crawl over them in my Civic. I went over them at 20 kms with ease.

Much has been said about the puny boot space of 300 Lts. Many have written this car off their list for this reason. But I was quite surprised. It fitted two 24 Inch bags quite comfortably with space for a slim duffel bag in between. In addition, you could fit 2 haveys in the space left in front of the bags and two small soft bags or on the side crevices. You can fit a laptop in the space below the floorboard near the spare wheel. Pretty decent space unless you pack heavy.

All in all, pretty good fuel efficiency and a joy to drive. Fly in the ointment is the outrageous premium. It costs 23.16 L on the road without TCS and optional add ons.

I was hoping that Toyota would price their Hyryder sensibly but no such luck. It appears to be just as high as Honda minus the Adas.
City EHEV Hyryder Hybrid V
Ex Showroom Mumbai 19,93,990 18,99,000
Insurance with Engine Protect
& Key Cover 60,682
1+3 Zero Dep, EP+RTI Delight Plan 66,575
Registration 2,45,564 2,34,988
Delivery & Documentation charges 6,435
Basic Accessories 9,299 14,209
Fast Tag 600 500
Total 23,16,570 22,15,272
Incremental for ADAS 1,01,298

Pre-owned cars are now priced outrageously, and they do not many safety features available in the newer models. Entry of corporates with deep pockets into this sector has ensured that prices stay high. Car companies are also demanding their pound of flesh. We are helplessly ripped off either way.
Do intend to wait and test drive the Hyryder but I am pretty confused which way to proceed.
Dbhs747 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 23:07   #307

Here is a very comprehensive explanation of the Honda "E-CVT" transmission. Very impressive , interesting fact is that this transmission is used throughout the Honda line up. Being used throughout the line up should be extremely reliable and well engineered.
This kind of explains the premium pricing of the hybrid, since the system was intended to be used in much higher up segment cars , guess it was not designed with a cost cutting mentality.

sasmit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 23:04   #308
Senior - BHPian

So we brought the City Hybrid home a couple of days back. I guess this would be the second or third one on the forum.

We opted for the pearl Platinum white color as I felt that the black garnish and fog lamp surrounds etc looked really good with the contrast. Overall the white looks good as well with the cars shape and sharp styling standing out.

Enough has been said about the car and I can sum it with just one word. The driving experience is Sublime.

Very comfortable and very well ergonomically laid out interiors.

I wouldn't go into the "how many kilometres to break even" discussion because for me it was more than just the economics. The car gets ADAS, all disc brakes, adaptive cruise control and a few other features apart from the Hybrid Advantage, so it was a good choice for me.

Would be happy to answer any questions if you have any.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda City Hybrid Review-img20221020wa0002.jpg  

Traveler is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 24th October 2022, 00:13   #309
BHPian

Hi,

My nephew bought the Honda City Hybrid earlier this month. I accompanied him to the PDI as well as while receiving the car.
Everything was smooth, right from the PDI to delivery. I did not drive and was the co-passenger. The ride was comfortable and sorted without any bouncy feeling I imagined ahead of the ride. In the 2 days post-delivery, I have not heard anything that was concerning from my nephew. In many ways, this Honda City Hybrid reminded me of the hassle-free nature of the Toyota Corolla (2006) that I drive, albeit in a substantially modern avatar.

For those looking for a hassle-free sedan experience, this is a great option. The dimensions appear to have grown substantially to the Honda City I knew earlier; the leg space was similar/ better than my Corolla even with tall passengers/ driver at the front row.
The only concern I had was - I had expected a full-size spare wheel alloy but that's not the case here.

I will post any observations as I gather them.

Thanks.

Last edited by subbarp : 24th October 2022 at 00:15.
subbarp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2022, 02:02   #310
BHPian

1 Month and 1100 KMs with the Honda City e:HEV

Hello to all the respected forum members,

I am sharing my views on the new City Hybrid after driving it for 1100 kms in a month. This included 65% city driving and the rest on highways.

First of all, talking about the performance of the car it is exceptional. The car is so smooth, and the suspension works away silently. It really is, as one member posted sublime.

I test drove the petrol and the hybrid back-to-back to understand the difference in price, and as soon as I stepped into the hybrid I was blown away. It does feel like a different car altogether also helped by the fact that it gets modern features such as ADAS, EPB 4-wheel discs etc.

The hybrid system in particular works really well and as per common misconception I did not find any major difference in the city and highway mileage of the car as long as you are cruising below 100 kmph and I got 25 kmpl even on my 1st tank full.

Although the car is great and the NVH makes it feel a segment above there are certain missing features such 360 Degree Camera and ventilated seats which would have made the package impossible to look past. Boot space also is mild concern but 95% of the times this will suffice for everybody, and the headlights could have done with a stronger throw. Apart from that I haven't faced any issues in the car up until now.

P.S. - Got the stock tires changed right after the delivery to 195/60/R16 Michelin Primacy 3ST and that has made the ride even quieter than before, though the ground clearance has risen by about 14mm in the process. The car looks great with these larger wheels and the added clearance is a boon for our pothole ridden roads.

Attaching some pictures of the car below.

Honda City Hybrid Review-city-front.jpg

Honda City Hybrid Review-20221023_170658.jpeg

Honda City Hybrid Review-20221023_170739.jpeg

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th October 2022 at 10:25. Reason: Minor formatting changes
kush812 is offline   (69) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 11:08   #311
BHPian

Congrats on your new car.

25 Kmpl is just too good for both city and long runs.

Going by Team-BHP owner's city hybrid review, I have made up my mind clearly that I will be moving towards hybrid when I purchase my next car.
Hopefully, Honda will bring hybrid in SUV format by that time.

Honda should capitalise the first mover advantage and make their footprint in India stronger. Because game will not be same as today. Hyundai/Kia will come with all guns blazing soon. Before this, Honda should bring some good SUV's and few electric cars to widen its fleet.
GRAND23 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 11:15   #312
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kush812 View Post
Please share service and maintenance interval of city hybrid.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 26th October 2022 at 16:51. Reason: quote tags
Chevyspark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 13:37   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAND23 View Post
Congrats on your new car.

25 Kmpl is just too good for both city and long runs.
Thank you for wishes.

Yes, the mileage did pleasantly surprise me as I myself was expecting to hover around 22 - 23 Kmpl with the increased ground clearance. Me and my father are sedate drivers and generally cruise the car between 80 - 100 kmph and with this speed the car does deliver on performance and efficiency both.
And yes, I also think hybrids are the stepping stones towards full electrification and unlike yester years today's hybrids deliver on performance and efficiency while also providing a much more refined experience than say even the current Octavia.

Also, Honda has so many world class products like HR-V, BR-V, Civic etc. which will fit well in India and now they all come with hybrid systems which can be their USP for a while. But the leadership is not as aggressive as they should have been otherwise they wouldn't wait so long to launch an SUV.

[quote=Chevyspark;5427896]
Quote:

Please share service and maintenance interval of city hybrid.
Attaching some screenshots of the service manual for your reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda City Hybrid Review-screenshot-133.png  

Honda City Hybrid Review-screenshot-134.png  

Honda City Hybrid Review-screenshot-135.png  

kush812 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 23:50   #314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

P.S. - Got the stock tires changed right after the delivery to 195/60/R16 Michelin Primacy 3ST and that has made the ride even quieter than before, though the ground clearance has risen by about 14mm in the process. The car looks great with these larger wheels and the added clearance is a boon for our pothole ridden roads.
Great one month review from you. I just got this car a few days back and was also considering a tyre upsize. Do you anticipate any warranty issues due to this change.

Also what exchange price did you get for the original tyres. I was quoted just Rs. 2500/- per tyre in exchange for the Yokohama or Bridgestone Studo tyres.
Old 27th October 2022, 00:17   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Great one month review from you. I just got this car a few days back and was also considering a tyre upsize. Do you anticipate any warranty issues due to this change.

Also what exchange price did you get for the original tyres. I was quoted just Rs. 2500/- per tyre in exchange for the Yokohama or Bridgestone Studo tyres.
I think 205/55/r16 is a good upgrade and wanted to go for those at first since I have been using 195/55/r16 tyres in my size and many a times I felt the side wall thickness is less considering our conditions and 205/55 tyres are also not readily available. But the dealer told me that these 195/60 Michelin Primacy 3ST are cheaper than 195/55's and the added side wall thickness gave the car a SUV like clearance.
I asked the service people during my 1st Service about the warranty and they seemed like they don't care about the tyre upgrade since most of the owners now do this. I guess it depends on your dealership.

Since I changed my tyres at about 40 odd kms I got about Rs.4200 per tyre for the Goodyear Assurance Triplemax 2 tyres my car came with and the new tyres were about Rs. 8600.

Overall, I am happy with the tyre upgrade as the car feels and rides much more substantially than before.
kush812 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed